The Gao Thread

sadoldgit

If people really want to cause a stir, and do a proper protest, then the easiest thing to do is turn up at Villa away (a ground where the club don't have control of the stewards and entry) with Hong Kong flags and dressed in fancy dress as Winnie the Pooh.

If people really want to cause a stir, and do a proper protest, then the easiest thing to do is turn up at Villa away (a ground where the club don't have control of the stewards and entry) with Hong Kong flags and dressed in fancy dress as Winnie the Pooh.

Still have fond memories of Villa Park, saw Saints during the three years I was at the Polytechnic as was! One win, one draw, one loss. One year, they had a obstacle course for Alsations, 1989 I think, the Villa dog was a lively 2 year old, the Saints dog was 33 and couldn't get up the wall. It was quite surreal, bit like watching Saints at mo lol

• 2 weeks later...
The Independent has been told that Gao has been interested in selling his 80 per cent share in the club for up to six months, with an asking price being mooted at £200m."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-news-sale-gao-jisheng-owner-ralph-hasenhuttl-arsenal-epl-a9213571.html

Just about to post the same looks like he wants out, thank ****, now does anyone know a rich Arab billionaire?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The Independent has been told that Gao has been interested in selling his 80 per cent share in the club for up to six months, with an asking price being mooted at £200m."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/southampton-news-sale-gao-jisheng-owner-ralph-hasenhuttl-arsenal-epl-a9213571.html

What a shower of sh*te it’s been. Good luck getting the £200m back.

We’re going to be in a right pickle if we get relegated.

If only someone had suggest this six months ago...

Surely the only way he sells is if we stay in the PL?

More important now than ever to stay up given the state of the club.

Why? If we get relegated and he really wants out he will have to take a lesser offer. No one is going to give him 200 million with the club in its current state.

It's his own fault anyway he over paid for us and then he basically lets us drift into relegation fodder. If he really wanted his investment to be worth what he paid for it he should have invested more time and money in the club.

An article Neil Allen would be proud of. Apparently, we're "suspended in a tide of limbo."

In 2018, the club posted after-tax profits of £26.8m but beyond that strict financial oversight, it’s been suspended in a tide of limbo, swaying violently without any real direction.​

Red Bull Southampton, anyone?

That would be great. They have been fantastic owners at both Leipzig and Salzburg but, apart from the Mitchell connection, I can't see why they would choose us and we don't know what terms Mitchell left the club on. He may be another one Les Reed has burnt our bridges with.

How so? Genuine question - I don't really follow footie outside of UK.

I think he's being ironic. They've taken Leipzig from the 5th tier of German football to the Champions League and their scouting and recruitment are the envy of the football world. Their average crowds have grown from 2,000 to 40,000 and they are now expanding their stadium capacity to 54,000. They are currently 2nd in the Bundesliga, ahead of Bayern Munich, who they aim to overtake as Germany's top club.

Salzburg have won 10 Austrian Bundesliga titles since they took over and been regulars in the Champions League, whereas before Red Bull took over, the league had been dominated by the 2 big Vienna clubs: Rapid & Austria Vienna.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RB_Leipzig

I think he's being ironic. They've taken Leipzig from the 5th tier of German football to the Champions League and their scouting and recruitment are the envy of the football world. Their average crowds have grown from 2,000 to 40,000 and they are now expanding their stadium capacity to 54,000. They are currently 2nd in the Bundesliga, ahead of Bayern Munich, who they aim to overtake as Germany's top club.

Salzburg have won 10 Austrian Bundesliga titles since they took over and been regulars in the Champions League, whereas before Red Bull took over, the league had been dominated by the 2 big Vienna clubs: Rapid & Austria Vienna.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RB_Leipzig

So all the matters is winning? The fact that the football club would no longer represent the community, that the ties to it's past would be gone, that it would be a commercial sport brand and not the soul of Southampton, representing every Sotonian and the fact that our proud 135 year history would be whitewashed for the opportunity (note it's not guaranteed by any distance) of success would make it all worth it?

Red Bull are the death of football clubs, they only exist for the modern fans that love stats and computer games, i wouldn't even wish that shower of sh*t on the blue few.

Southampton football club represents Southampton and the Sotonians born and bred there, not Red Bull.

So all the matters is winning? The fact that the football club would no longer represent the community, that the ties to it's past would be gone, that it would be a commercial sport brand and not the soul of Southampton, representing every Sotonian and the fact that our proud 135 year history would be whitewashed for the opportunity (note it's not guaranteed by any distance) of success would make it all worth it?

Red Bull are the death of football clubs, they only exist for the modern fans that love stats and computer games, i wouldn't even wish that shower of sh*t on the blue few.

Southampton football club represents Southampton and the Sotonians born and bred there, not Red Bull.

I've always thought MK Dons - the original franchise club - would be the logical English club for Red Bull to buy in to and then buy there way in to the premier league. Besides 'MK Red Bulls' would be a better name than MK Dons - and then they can give the Dons name back to AFC Wimbledon.

I would take Red Bull as a sponsor for access to the Red Bull FC network and players - it would certainly be no worse than our current non-existent sponsor LD Sports.

I'd take them over Kat and her 20% anyway.

Our best hope is Jim Ratcliffe decides he needs a 'nice' English club to go with that club he owns in France.

What does the club currently represent that would not if owned by RB?

I'm with you 100% Eric. A football club is about the community it represents not some corporate crap. I would rather follow Southampton FC is the National league than Red Bull Southampton in the Premiership. Unarguable fact.

I'm with you 100% Eric. A football club is about the community it represents not some corporate crap. I would rather follow Southampton FC is the National league than Red Bull Southampton in the Premiership. Unarguable fact.

Why do you follow saints now as this is hardly a club of the community at present

I personally don t give a flying f. Winning and being happy on weekends, seing people don’t positively about our club is what i m looking for

I personally don t give a flying f. Winning and being happy on weekends, seing people don’t positively about our club is what i m looking for

That would be great. They have been fantastic owners at both Leipzig and Salzburg but, apart from the Mitchell connection, I can't see why they would choose us and we don't know what terms Mitchell left the club on. He may be another one Les Reed has burnt our bridges with.

We get it mate, you liked Paul Mitchell, you don’t need to mention him on every post across multiple forums for years though, it’s a bit freaky.

Good sentiment and one I agree with. More so when I look on websites like Instagram (after I left Facebook in 2017 for similar reasons accompanied by the pathetic, brittle popularity). A new, even more invasive form of advertising polluted every facet of social media but I resent them ruining Instagram as much as renamed sports franchises. It is testing to see friends changing usernames to accompany fashion or fitness tags and then narcissistically tout every sort of saleable cr* p imaginable. Companies cherry picking well connected people to do their dirty work for them. It’s a new and infuriating form of capitalism. I don’t begrudge people overly for wanting free products or trying to save or make a quick buck as modern life is a real struggle financially but have some credibility and integrity and bear in mind the companies benefit way more than the mark.

I would always want Southampton Football Club to be Southampton Football Club and not anyone’s corporate b*tch. Matise and is essential but you don’t need to sell your soul. Can you sponsor ship wisely and still maintain your integrity. It’s called intelligent negotiation. You always have a cut-off and know when to walk away when the requirements of your investor don’t align with your goals. With our current owner acquiring the club, I now think the only goal was to get the money in the bank.

Good sentiment and one I agree with. More so when I look on websites like Instagram (after I left Facebook in 2017 for similar reasons accompanied by the pathetic, brittle popularity). A new, even more invasive form of advertising polluted every facet of social media but I resent them ruining Instagram as much as renamed sports franchises. It is testing to see friends changing usernames to accompany fashion or fitness tags and then narcissistically tout every sort of saleable cr* p imaginable. Companies cherry picking well connected people to do their dirty work for them. It’s a new and infuriating form of capitalism. I don’t begrudge people overly for wanting free products or trying to save or make a quick buck as modern life is a real struggle financially but have some credibility and integrity and bear in mind the companies benefit way more than the mark.

I would always want Southampton Football Club to be Southampton Football Club and not anyone’s corporate b*tch. Matise and is essential but you don’t need to sell your soul. Can you sponsor ship wisely and still maintain your integrity. It’s called intelligent negotiation. You always have a cut-off and know when to walk away when the requirements of your investor don’t align with your goals. With our current owner acquiring the club, I now think the only goal was to get the money in the bank.

The problem is now that Kat has got the money Gao borrowed from another bank in her bank, he's screwed. He's not going to be able to sell his share for anything like what he paid Kat for it, so he's probably going to have to raid the club's funds if he can find a way to do that. And with Kat sitting on 20% of the club, which she's going to demand an excessive amount for, he's not going to be able to sell his share anyway. Buyers will want the whole club.

The problem is now that Kat has got the money Gao borrowed from another bank in her bank, he's screwed. He's not going to be able to sell his share for anything like what he paid Kat for it, so he's probably going to have to raid the club's funds if he can find a way to do that. And with Kat sitting on 20% of the club, which she's going to demand an excessive amount for, he's not going to be able to sell his share anyway. Buyers will want the whole club.

The club are seemingly potless so I don’t know what funds you think can be raided. They have done that. They’ve asset stripped us to the carcass. They will not sign players in January if their actions to date are a strong signifier which I don’t doubt they are.

I don’t know where this other conjecture comes from. How do you know Kat will hold out for the maximum? She may accept a sensible offer considering the alternative or she may sit tight and lose money alongside Gao when the club value plummets in the championship. The latter being the more likely scenario.

Why? If we get relegated and he really wants out he will have to take a lesser offer. No one is going to give him 200 million with the club in its current state.

It's his own fault anyway he over paid for us and then he basically lets us drift into relegation fodder. If he really wanted his investment to be worth what he paid for it he should have invested more time and money in the club.

When you're washing money you don't necessarily expect to get the full amount back.

If he ends up spending 30 or 40 mill to get 160 out of China he'll be pleased, I suspect.

Edited by benjii

When you're washing money you don't necessarily expect to get the full amount back.

If he ends up spending 30 or 40 mill to get 160 out of China he'll be pleased, I suspect.

yeah I cant see him getting 200 mil if we go down he will taking a much reduced offer I reckon (though he will probably try and snaffle the parachute payments as well) after all 30 mil is better that sweet FA when he has completely ****ed us up.

yeah I cant see him getting 200 mil if we go down he will taking a much reduced offer I reckon (though he will probably try and snaffle the parachute payments as well) after all 30 mil is better that sweet FA when he has completely ****ed us up.

#NextLevel

Top 3 Mitchells

1. The Mitchellin Man

2. Mitchell Ma Belle

3. Mitchells & Butlers (There's probably one of their pubs near you now, Turkish. You can't escape from them that easily)

Trevor Mitchell

Great Mitchell

Mitchell Johnson

I didn’t realise until this post Mitchell and butler owns Browns and All Bar One, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

What Kat really meant was that she was taking her bank account to the next level.

Rumour is she wants to buy us back. Imagine if we go down and she buys as back at the market value of about 1/3 what goa paid for us, spend £30m to get us back up and go again. She basically ended up making about £100m and kept her business, maybe she isn’t as bad as we thought.