The Gao Thread

sadoldgit

Gate receipts probably make up c10% of our total revenue now

Won't hurt him too much financially

Yep, this is true, that's why they aren't bothered about a few thousand empty seats. If they cant get 29,000 people playing £45 each it's better for them than 32,000 sell outs every week at £30 a person. They aren't bothered about the match going fan.

Would protests actually bother our owner he doesn't even turn up to games does he?

I can imagine that angry protests at SMS would probably be lost on him, sat 5000 miles away, while giving the score a cursory look on the internet at full time.

The only way we are getting rid of this chump is if we get relegated a couple of times and go bust again.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure about that. Gao is clearly trying to focus everything on selling the club to the Chinese market and you can see the endless stream of Chinese language adverts on the electronic boards around the ground when we are on TV. A load of placards of 'Gao Out' or similar written in Chinese and English around the ground would have a bad look for all of those watching in China, particularly those government officials that he has to cozy up to to stay out of jail. Saving face is the most important thing for these guys and if it can be shown to his own back home that he is not welcome then it makes things a bit uncomfortable for him. It would be interesting to see if the stewards would allow this kind of action as we know how much Chinese officials hate protests.

I'm not so sure about that. Gao is clearly trying to focus everything on selling the club to the Chinese market and you can see the endless stream of Chinese language adverts on the electronic boards around the ground when we are on TV. A load of placards of 'Gao Out' or similar written in Chinese and English around the ground would have a bad look for all of those watching in China, particularly those government officials that he has to cozy up to to stay out of jail. Saving face is the most important thing for these guys and if it can be shown to his own back home that he is not welcome then it makes things a bit uncomfortable for him. It would be interesting to see if the stewards would allow this kind of action as we know how much Chinese officials hate protests.

Let's hope he also hates 0-9 results at home too and acts upon it - that must have impressed the TV watching Chinese market.

Good to read this and things need to happen to get this joker out. Love what the French Lyon fans did. We need similar. Esp. on a televised match.

Let's hope he also hates 0-9 results at home too and acts upon it - that must have impressed the TV watching Chinese market.
Don't worry Chinese state TV airbrushed the result it wouldn't do to have a Chinese owned club lose. In China it's between us and wolves in a neck and neck race to win the league. Due to some expert Chinese state editing Chinese viewers saw Mick Channon score a hatrick against Leicester the other friday [emoji16]

Don't worry Chinese state TV airbrushed the result it wouldn't do to have a Chinese owned club lose. In China it's between us and wolves in a neck and neck race to win the league. Due to some expert Chinese state editing Chinese viewers saw Mick Channon score a hatrick against Leicester the other friday [emoji16]

I think I could live in this Chinese world where Southampton are EPL champions every other year.......

Dress up in winnie the pooh costumes holding free Hong Kong signs. We can't hurt his wallet by not attending (and hurt the team) but we can hurt his wallet with political pressure. We'll be outcast in china, banned from all coverage so he'll be inclined to sell the club.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gate receipts probably make up c10% of our total revenue now

Won't hurt him too much financially

It wasn't meaning financial hurt. Unless he is void of any senses it will hurt him to witness that the fanbase have turned against him, plus as mentioned, the negative publicity here and in China will shame him.

Surely our issues are around the strength of the current team, which is down to Reed and Wilson who have both left the club now. We are also massively hampered in the transfer market by still owning players who are out on loan and we can't sell off. Again Reed and Wilson. We are where we are due to poor recruitment in recent years.

Right now, blaming Gao is like blaming your dad when he can't afford to spend big on your Christmas presents this year because your elder brother had to be bailed out for loans he took out and can't afford to pay back.

We can't expect Gao to keep funding more players, while the current bad-eggs are still on the payroll. Especially when the only one with football experience is Ralph himself. We need a decent recruiter, someone who can spot a good talent.

I'd have banners like "Reed out" and "Wilson out" .... oh wait. :)

Would protests actually bother our owner he doesn't even turn up to games does he?

I can imagine that angry protests at SMS would probably be lost on him, sat 5000 miles away, while giving the score a cursory look on the internet at full time.

The only way we are getting rid of this chump is if we get relegated a couple of times and go bust again.

China is a 'communist' state. The state allows a certain amount of private enterprise if their economy benefits. Protests that highlight those things the state doesn't want highlighted would see them pull the plug on Gao PDQ, and make him sell. Tibetan, Hong Kong or Taiwanese flags promentatly seen at home games would raise more than a few eye brows in the corridors of power.

Whilst i dont think Gao is right for our club and it would be better if he sold up what in truth has he done wrong ?

We spent what ? £45 million this summer on attacking players when anyone with a modicum of sense could see the defence needed sorting. Thats not Gao's fault.

Similarly money was made available and spent last summer and indeed the January before it. Its not his fault it was spent on crap !

He was handed a poison chalice by Kat who made it worse by saying the move was to take the club to the next level. He's never said anything about taking the club on to challenge the top six has he ?

He's getting a bad deal out of this......not that i trust him mind you, but as i say money has been made available so what more could he do ?

Whilst i dont think Gao is right for our club and it would be better if he sold up what in truth has he done wrong ?

We spent what ? £45 million this summer on attacking players when anyone with a modicum of sense could see the defence needed sorting. Thats not Gao's fault.

Similarly money was made available and spent last summer and indeed the January before it. Its not his fault it was spent on crap !

He was handed a poison chalice by Kat who made it worse by saying the move was to take the club to the next level. He's never said anything about taking the club on to challenge the top six has he ?

He's getting a bad deal out of this......not that i trust him mind you, but as i say money has been made available so what more could he do ?

The money came from previous sales of our players. Why are we the only club in the Premier league that has to sell players to buy them, particularly when there were glaring holes in the squad? Yes the defence needed sorting out, but so did they attack.

Actually I agree with this, I don’t think gao is a decent owner but in my opinion is no worse then kat was, I think they basically sold him the idea that they bought cheap and sold for big bucks and were all self sustaining so his ownership has basically followed on from how it was run under kat...funnily enough the majority on here seemed to be perfectly happy with it when it was kat in charge ?

Surely our issues are around the strength of the current team, which is down to Reed and Wilson who have both left the club now. We are also massively hampered in the transfer market by still owning players who are out on loan and we can't sell off. Again Reed and Wilson. We are where we are due to poor recruitment in recent years.

Right now, blaming Gao is like blaming your dad when he can't afford to spend big on your Christmas presents this year because your elder brother had to be bailed out for loans he took out and can't afford to pay back.

We can't expect Gao to keep funding more players, while the current bad-eggs are still on the payroll. Especially when the only one with football experience is Ralph himself. We need a decent recruiter, someone who can spot a good talent.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Many people are decrying Gao for not sticking his and in his pocket, but the issue isn't that we can't afford to buy decent players, it's that the bloated wage bill currently doesn't allow it. We're stuck paying the excessive wages of players who are never going to play for our first team ever again - Forster, Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi. That's an eye-watering amount of money for us to be forking out each month for zero return.

I'm not suggesting for a second that we would instantly start splashing out in the transfer market as soon as we get them all off the books, but let's wait until we are in that situation before passing true judgement on Gao as an owner, as we genuinely can't right now.

The money came from previous sales of our players. Why are we the only club in the Premier league that has to sell players to buy them, particularly when there were glaring holes in the squad? Yes the defence needed sorting out, but so did they attack.

Do agree with this. Know the wage bill is hugely bloated and is a problem, but when Newcastle (with their owner hardly known for being generous with spending) can spend £40m on a striker yet we're so-called limited to the £10-15m market, it does really make you question a lot of things.

China is a 'communist' state. The state allows a certain amount of private enterprise if their economy benefits. Protests that highlight those things the state doesn't want highlighted would see them pull the plug on Gao PDQ, and make him sell. Tibetan, Hong Kong or Taiwanese flags promentatly seen at home games would raise more than a few eye brows in the corridors of power.

Getting flags into the ground en masse almost certainly won't happen but this sort of movement could start on Twitter. If every club Tweet was followed by a load of Tibet flags, Winnie the Poohs, etc. then that would at least get the ball rolling and is easy enough to do.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Many people are decrying Gao for not sticking his and in his pocket, but the issue isn't that we can't afford to buy decent players, it's that the bloated wage bill currently doesn't allow it. We're stuck paying the excessive wages of players who are never going to play for our first team ever again - Forster, Carillo, Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi. That's an eye-watering amount of money for us to be forking out each month for zero return.

I'm not suggesting for a second that we would instantly start splashing out in the transfer market as soon as we get them all off the books, but let's wait until we are in that situation before passing true judgement on Gao as an owner, as we genuinely can't right now.

He's done nothing.

He hasn't got any semblance of a plan and has brought no value whatsoever.

He's a crap owner.

What's his vision? Minimum spend necessary to stay up and hope to impress some gullible Chinese tourists. That's about it, I think.

That's Markus' legacy, is it?

Do agree with this. Know the wage bill is hugely bloated and is a problem, but when Newcastle (with their owner hardly known for being generous with spending) can spend £40m on a striker yet we're so-called limited to the £10-15m market, it does really make you question a lot of things.

Its been this way for 6 years now though. We've always had this propaganda that Saints are a well run club, that we were sustainable. Okay when Cortese was gotten rid of I got that we might have to tighten belts for a couple of years but no more than that. However we are the only club that has made a profit from transfers season after season yet we are still shopping in the bargain basement when times have moved on and £10-£15m doesn't get you Mane, Van Dijk or Wanyama anymore.Yes the last few years we've wasted a lot of money on bad signings, but they've all been paid for by sales. Something is seriously amiss here as it doesn't add up. WE still have to fund transfers from sales, some people try to justify it by saying you have to take into account agents fees, bonuses and national insurance payments, well so does every other club and all of them have made bad signings too, but none of them have funded all buys by sales.

He's done nothing.

He's a crap owner.

What's his vision? Minimum spend necessary to stay up and hope to impress some gullible Chinese tourists. That's about it, I think.

That's about the size of it. The Chinese, more skint Mike Ashley, simply spend the minimum possible to stay in the league.

Its been this way for 6 years now though. We've always had this propaganda that Saints are a well run club, that we were sustainable. Okay when Cortese was gotten rid of I got that we might have to tighten belts for a couple of years but no more than that. However we are the only club that has made a profit from transfers season after season yet we are still shopping in the bargain basement when times have moved on and £10-£15m doesn't get you Mane, Van Dijk or Wanyama anymore.Yes the last few years we've wasted a lot of money on bad signings, but they've all been paid for by sales. Something is seriously amiss here as it doesn't add up. WE still have to fund transfers from sales, some people try to justify it by saying you have to take into account agents fees, bonuses and national insurance payments, well so does every other club and all of them have made bad signings too, but none of them have funded all buys by sales.

I’ve been saying it for years, it’s a joke. Like it (and him or not) Markus legacy died the day Cortese walked out. Appreciate we couldn’t go on the way we were under him, but we’ve had 2 chances to ‘push on’ and be where Leicester are now. Once when Poch left, the other when Koeman left.

Both would have stayed if they believed in the project, neither could be persuaded.

We’re a shambles of a club at present, the worst ran in the premier league... in fact, unless we spend big (and well) in Jan, which looks unlikely, we’ll go down and I think we’ll actually be in the same position as Stoke are currently..

I was watching stoke the other day and they are an interesting to compare us against. Overpaid average players who couldn’t give 2 ****s about the club. A load on out on loan, on high wages which they cannot shift.

If he’s not going to invest, then he needs to sell up. I don’t think he will and things are about to get significantly worse.

I’ve been saying it for years, it’s a joke. Like it (and him or not) Markus legacy died the day Cortese walked out. Appreciate we couldn’t go on the way we were under him, but we’ve had 2 chances to ‘push on’ and be where Leicester are now. Once when Poch left, the other when Koeman left.

Both would have stayed if they believed in the project, neither could be persuaded.

We’re a shambles of a club at present, the worst ran in the premier league... in fact, unless we spend big (and well) in Jan, which looks unlikely, we’ll go down and I think we’ll actually be in the same position as Stoke are currently..

I was watching stoke the other day and they are an interesting to compare us against. Overpaid average players who couldn’t give 2 ****s about the club. A load on out on loan, on high wages which they cannot shift.

If he’s not going to invest, then he needs to sell up. I don’t think he will and things are about to get significantly worse.

Someone posted on TUI about stoke to other day and I said exactly that, that we will be in exactly their position in a few years time.

We are an absolute shambles with no leadership or direction anywhere in the club, from the chairman to the management to the coaching staff and on the pitch. Unfortunately unless something changes dramatically relegation is inevitable

I have thought this for a while, although I suppose our wages might be higher than the promoted clubs and perhaps Burnley. Back to the Askham days, feel sorry for the younger fans who only have known 2009-17.

The club is pointless - literally - until Gao and KL are gone. You dread to think how low they might go before that happens. If you offered me L1 again with the club still owning stadium and training ground with a reasonable owner - Markus Mk2 would be too fortunate - I’d happily take that now and miss out the 2-3 seasons of nonsense in between.

I have thought this for a while, although I suppose our wages might be higher than the promoted clubs and perhaps Burnley. Back to the Askham days, feel sorry for the younger fans who only have known 2009-17.

The club is pointless - literally - until Gao and KL are gone. You dread to think how low they might go before that happens. If you offered me L1 again with the club still owning stadium and training ground with a reasonable owner - Markus Mk2 would be too fortunate - I’d happily take that now and miss out the 2-3 seasons of nonsense in between.

We are champions league when it comes to all the pointless stuff though. Signing announcements, virtue signalling from the media team, grassing hotlines, cheap beer 2 hours before kick off, pointless and overpriced hospitality areas. It’s almost like they think that should compensate fans for the crap on the pitch.

He's done nothing.

He's a crap owner.

Yep in a nutshell.

And added to that, transparency is worse than it has ever been at Sfc since he has taken over. All the signs are there that we are in for a rough ride whilst Gao owns the club.

Yep in a nutshell.

And added to that, transparency is worse than it has ever been at Sfc since he has taken over. All the signs are there that we are in for a rough ride whilst Gao owns the club.

No no you are all wrong Kat said he is going to take us to the next level when she was cashing in her inheritance !!!!!! ?

We are champions league when it comes to all the pointless stuff though. Signing announcements, virtue signalling from the media team, grassing hotlines, cheap beer 2 hours before kick off, pointless and overpriced hospitality areas. It’s almost like they think that should compensate fans for the crap on the pitch.

It’s like my car getting serviced at the local dealer and breaking down within 5 minutes with a £1000 fault which clearly wasn’t there when I took it in, but the dealer expecting it to be OK because they offered me a nice coffee whilst I was waiting for them.

It comes to something when the Lowe era looks competent by comparison.

He's done nothing.

He's a crap owner.

I get all that, and I'm in no way sticking my head in the sand and pretending he's great.

I'm just pointing out that our failure to bring in the players we need in the last couple of windows cannot be blamed solely on the owner's unwillingness to spend. We are completely hamstrung by the FFP rules and the obscene wages we are paying to players who contribute literally nothing. Until that situation is resolved, which most agree will take at least another summer window (but most likely longer), it is not really possible to make a true judgement on Gao in terms of player recruitment.

I do, however, concede that all of the other issues you rightly point out are a very good reason to be suspicious that he won't suddenly become a big spender once the deadwood has been cleared.

Well said. Sad but true. I hope the f**kers who criticised those giving Gao a hard time from the outset are reading all these comments as they’re strangely silent. It’s the lying and constantly contradiction in articles that get to me. I think Gao or their PR team have watched too many Adam Curtis documentaries and they think they’re Vladislav Surkov with all their conflicting information. It’s not clever social engineering. It’s utterly

infuriating and all you are doing is alienating your fan base and you will end up with an empty stadium and no club or a Chinese language school or casino set up instead of a football club #GaoOut #GreatWallOfBullsh*t

Well said. Sad but true. I hope the f**kers who criticised those giving Gao a hard time from the outset are reading all these comments as they’re strangely silent. It’s the lying and constantly contradiction in articles that get to me. I think Gao or their PR team have watched too many Adam Curtis documentaries and they think they’re Vladislav Surkov with all their conflicting information. It’s not clever social engineering. It’s utterly

infuriating and all you are doing is alienating your fan base and you will end up with an empty stadium and no club or a Chinese language school or casino set up instead of a football club #GaoOut #GreatWallOfBullsh*t

What world do you live in? Would you still defend Gao next year in the championship? How much does it take for you to wake up and smell the roses rather than the feeble club PR to justify their total neglect?

Gao has not invested a penny since we bought the club in 2017. Lander & Gao allegedly told Kat and the PL otherwise. They must’ve been laughing on the other side of their faces

Oh no, We haven’t bought anyone because we have such a high wage bill with this huge array of senior pros that we can’t afford anyone else. Wake up! We are due a director of football next week and then high energy defenders in January. Wait for the contradicting articles. Quincy Promes. Les’ replacement 12 months ago. A contradiction about January signings has already started via the increasingly tedious weekly SFC staff spin comedy column they run in the echo to amuse us. That last one from Ralph about not signing in January and contradicting the club was side splitting funny. The cheeky monkeys!

Do you seriously believe all this sh*t they purport?

I get all that, and I'm in no way sticking my head in the sand and pretending he's great.

I'm just pointing out that our failure to bring in the players we need in the last couple of windows cannot be blamed solely on the owner's unwillingness to spend. We are completely hamstrung by the FFP rules and the obscene wages we are paying to players who contribute literally nothing. Until that situation is resolved, which most agree will take at least another summer window (but most likely longer), it is not really possible to make a true judgement on Gao in terms of player recruitment.

I do, however, concede that all of the other issues you rightly point out are a very good reason to be suspicious that he won't suddenly become a big spender once the deadwood has been cleared.

Next you’ll be talking about the club struggling to pay agent fees and charges...

We are completely hamstrung by the FFP rules

I get tired of repeating this, but NO WE ARE NOT. Owners are allowed to inject up to £105m over three seasons as long as they make good the loss by converting debt to equity. There is no rule preventing Gao from giving a serious and meaningful boost to our transfer budget - especially when we've had consecutive years of profit.

In other words, we're about as far from being constrained by FFP as a club in our position could possibly be.

Oh, and before anyone brings up wages, there's already a mechanism for annual increase in the FFP rules, and we've sold everyone we had that was decent :)

Getting flags into the ground en masse almost certainly won't happen but this sort of movement could start on Twitter. If every club Tweet was followed by a load of Tibet flags, Winnie the Poohs, etc. then that would at least get the ball rolling and is easy enough to do.

\lol, I'd forgot about Winnie the Pooh, that most dangerous of all agitators.

Its interesting to compare our spending to Leciester, almost an identical stadium, almost an identical income, they turned over £158m in 2017/18 v us at £152m, they have received £26m more than us in transfer fees in the last 5 years, £268m v £242m, but have spent £381m in that period v our £243m. So £112m more than they've earnt. Yes they had their one freak season but how is a club with virtually identical income and player sales able to spend so much more than they brought in but we cant?

Its interesting to compare our spending to Leciester, almost an identical stadium, almost an identical income, they turned over £158m in 2017/18 v us at £152m, they have received £26m more than us in transfer fees in the last 5 years, £268m v £242m, but have spent £381m in that period v our £243m. So £112m more than they've earnt. Yes they had their one freak season but how is a club with virtually identical income and player sales able to spend so much more than they brought in but we cant?

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment but the did earn £73 million from one season in the Champions League I imagine our little stint in Europe the same year didn't really compete.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41695802

I'm not disagreeing with the sentiment but the did earn £73 million from one season in the Champions League I imagine our little stint in Europe the same year didn't really compete.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41695802

To be blunt you could pick any club, it's just I consider them to be the Saints of the midlands, similar sized city, identical ground, similar history, aside from their one glory season. Burnley, Watford, Bournemouth, Brighton, Palace, Newcastle, West Ham. All been about similar times to us but all spent at least £50m more than they made from sales.

Because they don’t have a tightfisted, asset stripping Chinese Chairman in charge who misled the club as to his intentions to own a PL club. I’m guessing he’s using it as leverage for real estate or just as a mechanism to get his money out of China.

Irrespective of the reasons, the guy needs to go...yesterday. You just know that the promise about the January signings in the Telegraph article is a lie. More hollow words in a naive attempt to keep the fans sweet only they club have lied countless times since 2017 and the fans have had enough. We have been way too patient (I wasn’t and I was shot down for it by the now silent critics). We now ignore all dialogue, what little there is, actions Gao. ACTIONS. The words from the club have now been rendered meaningless. We demand action. Show some intent or explain why you bizarrely bought a PL club.

You haven’t even given a mission statement in over two years Gao, such is your contempt to the fans. Explain your intentions. All I can ascertain by your neglect & Great Wall of silence is your intentions are not good for the club and people, hence the media blackout. #GaoOut #GreatWallOfBullsh*t

I get tired of repeating this, but NO WE ARE NOT. Owners are allowed to inject up to £105m over three seasons as long as they make good the loss by converting debt to equity. There is no rule preventing Gao from giving a serious and meaningful boost to our transfer budget - especially when we've had consecutive years of profit.

In other words, we're about as far from being constrained by FFP as a club in our position could possibly be.

Oh, and before anyone brings up wages, there's already a mechanism for annual increase in the FFP rules, and we've sold everyone we had that was decent :)

Why do you/others feel that an owner must inject capital? Why would he? What's in it for him? What return does her get on his "investment" and when / how?

Because they don’t have a tightfisted, asset stripping Chinese Chairman in charge who misled the club as to his intentions to own a PL club. I’m guessing he’s using it as leverage for real estate or just as a mechanism to get his money out of China.

What "asset stripping" is Gao guilty of?

Why do you/others feel that an owner must inject capital? Why would he? What's in it for him? What return does her get on his "investment" and when / how?

When he sells and his investment has improved us and we have more assets than when he brought the club.

Currently, we’re led to believe that every penny the club makes, is reinvested. Unless he is paying himself a salary, what return on investment is he currently getting?

Let’s be honest, if you’re to be a successful premier league owner, you’re not in it to make money unless you’re willing to invest significant amounts.

The only way you’ll make money on a club like saints is to either take some of the profits or to invest, push us on to become a champions league club (for example what’s happened with Tottenham in the past 10 years).

what’s in it for him when we’re in the championship and he loses nearly 50% value in the club?