Anyone a vegan?

whelk

I know a few now and don’t know how they do it.

I’d be screwed just dropping meat let alone the rest of diary but they swear has positive outcome on their health.

Nice to hear breast milk is ok but these parents nearly killed their baby.

https://apple.news/AYfGIq-BdSYW3xSktHIYiPg

I know someone who's a vegan, he's now home-ridden as due to a lack of protein he has suffered bowel issues, and now his bowels have prolapsed. He's in a right mess and his doctor said it was due to being a vegan.

No joke, his life is a misery - it's very sad. He's now forced to eat meat (well chicken and some fish).

Could probably lose meat from my diet without too much of a struggle but to add eggs and cheese to the list would be difficult.

I think it's admirable if people can go about their lives without using animals if they don't need to, and in this country we certainly don't NEED to.

I have a recurring moral difficulty with the fact that the only reason I continue to eat meat is because I like the taste and texture. Seems terribly selfish to put animals through farming and slaughter just because of a matter of taste, especially when there is an abundance of alternatives so readily available.

Those parents are idoits btw.

A meal just doesn’t seem filling without meat to me. I don’t know how I could survive off 3 plates of hummus and veg per day.

Morally I don’t object to meat, so long as the animals are reared and slaughtered humanely.

The environment I am concerned about but like almost everything else, it comes down to overpopulation. If there are an extra billion Indians in 30 years time, me eating salad isn’t going to change much.

A meal just doesn’t seem filling without meat to me. I don’t know how I could survive off 3 plates of hummus and veg per day.

Morally I don’t object to meat, so long as the animals are reared and slaughtered humanely.

The environment I am concerned about but like almost everything else, it comes down to overpopulation. If there are an extra billion Indians in 30 years time, me eating salad isn’t going to change much.

I don't think India's population is the priimary concern, it's too large to be sure but Africa seems to be the major problem just now. Back in the 70s/80s there was an ecologist who wrote books and stuff (before ecology was the in thing) whos premise was that we shouldn't go out of our way to heal and prevent natural diseases in Africa because it would over-alter the natural ecosystem or something. Imagine that nowadays, bloke would get lynched before the sun was set. Can't remember his name. Perhaps it was Erlich somewhere in his tome "The Population Bomb," just can't remember but he certainly predicted today's imminent crisis back in the 70's.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Could probably lose meat from my diet without too much of a struggle but to add eggs and cheese to the list would be difficult.

I think it's admirable if people can go about their lives without using animals if they don't need to, and in this country we certainly don't NEED to.

I have a recurring moral difficulty with the fact that the only reason I continue to eat meat is because I like the taste and texture. Seems terribly selfish to put animals through farming and slaughter just because of a matter of taste, especially when there is an abundance of alternatives so readily available.

Those parents are idoits btw.

Interesting views and very similar to my own. I don't eat meat but milk and cheese are things that I can't give up.

There is no humane way to rear and slaughter animals for food and no need to do it; even if we ignore the fact that meat isn't actually that healthy for us and can be a significant cause of cancer. Referring to the point above, I think eating nothing but 3 plates of veg and hummus a day would make anyone ill. We don't need meat to function and be successful - it's not difficult to eat great vegetarian/vegan food and still do well; I currently hold the record for a 10K speed trial on a bike...all powered without meat. Avoiding meat doesn't make you scrawny or weedy.....Serena Williams??

And there are some companies doing some amazing things with plant based alternatives; in blind tests, many meat eaters couldn't tell the difference between these products and real meat. Look at impossiblefoods.com who supply burgers to airlines and Burger King. Beyondmeat.com have just raised a bucketful of money in the US; in Holland, thevegetarianbutcher.com is one of the fastest growing food producers around and our own BrewDog produces 90%+ of their beers as vegan. Even Sainsburys now sell a vegan/veg fish burger which for me has always been the food group these companies have struggled with. No one has cracked bacon yet though!!

I am by no means a tree-hugger; won't be giving up the car any time soon and wouldn't like to be "pious and virtuous" as many vegans appear to be. but there are huge environmental reasons to stop eating meat. Animal agriculture occupies almost half the land on earth, consumes a quarter of our freshwater and destroys our ecosystems. Compared to a meat based burger, a plant alternative uses 96% less land, 7% less water and 89% fewer emissions - but there is no political will (esp in the US) to look at addressing this.

I genuinely believe that at some point in the future (6-7 generations) people will look back and say "did they really eat animals??!!.

Just my humble input.

If meat wasn't supposed to be a part of the human diet, why do we have canine teeth and the metabolic chemical processes to digest it ? One question I have for vegans is; if the entire country was to switch to such a diet, would that mean the immediate culling of all cows, pigs, hens, etc, as they would no longer have an economic purpose. ( So much for animal rights ).

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm a vegan. It's only difficult if you don't have the motivation to do it, same as anything else. For me the catalyst was health and environmental issues but as I've become more informed animal welfare is now a major motivator for me.

As a vegan, there's a list of stupid things that people say, and most of them are on this thread already. Fortunately, there's more awareness and opportunity to be a vegan these days, and less idiots who don't think before they speak. There will always be some though...someone I know nearly died....what happens to all the animals if everyone turns vegan instantly...death threats.. we're supposed to eat meat...how do you know when a vegan is talking about veganism, their lips are moving....lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Interesting views and very similar to my own. I don't eat meat but milk and cheese are things that I can't give up.

There is no humane way to rear and slaughter animals for food and no need to do it; even if we ignore the fact that meat isn't actually that healthy for us and can be a significant cause of cancer. Referring to the point above, I think eating nothing but 3 plates of veg and hummus a day would make anyone ill. We don't need meat to function and be successful - it's not difficult to eat great vegetarian/vegan food and still do well; I currently hold the record for a 10K speed trial on a bike...all powered without meat. Avoiding meat doesn't make you scrawny or weedy.....Serena Williams??

And there are some companies doing some amazing things with plant based alternatives; in blind tests, many meat eaters couldn't tell the difference between these products and real meat. Look at impossiblefoods.com who supply burgers to airlines and Burger King. Beyondmeat.com have just raised a bucketful of money in the US; in Holland, thevegetarianbutcher.com is one of the fastest growing food producers around and our own BrewDog produces 90%+ of their beers as vegan. Even Sainsburys now sell a vegan/veg fish burger which for me has always been the food group these companies have struggled with. No one has cracked bacon yet though!!

I am by no means a tree-hugger; won't be giving up the car any time soon and wouldn't like to be "pious and virtuous" as many vegans appear to be. but there are huge environmental reasons to stop eating meat. Animal agriculture occupies almost half the land on earth, consumes a quarter of our freshwater and destroys our ecosystems. Compared to a meat based burger, a plant alternative uses 96% less land, 7% less water and 89% fewer emissions - but there is no political will (esp in the US) to look at addressing this.

I genuinely believe that at some point in the future (6-7 generations) people will look back and say "did they really eat animals??!!.

Just my humble input.

I think it will be sooner than that. I have young kids and expect that their kids generation will be eating a largely plant based diet. Just doesn't make any sense not to happen.

....what happens to all the animals if everyone turns vegan instantly.... we're supposed to eat meat..

But you don't explain why you feel these things are 'stupid'. If there is a possibility to persuade people that veganism is a sound and appropriate lifestyle change, then there must be persuasive and informed information and evidence to support it. Biologically humans are omnivores, this is an indisputable fact based on our physiology.

Yeah, I'm a vegan. It's only difficult if you don't have the motivation to do it, same as anything else. For me the catalyst was health and environmental issues but as I've become more informed animal welfare is now a major motivator for me.

As a vegan, there's a list of stupid things that people say, and most of them are on this thread already. Fortunately, there's more awareness and opportunity to be a vegan these days, and less idiots who don't think before they speak. There will always be some though...someone I know nearly died....what happens to all the animals if everyone turns vegan instantly...death threats.. we're supposed to eat meat...how do you know when a vegan is talking about veganism, their lips are moving....lol

I wouldn’t say it’s motivation, so much as not having the time and patience to try and come up with three different meals a day, using houmous, falafel and courgette. I tried having the veg option at work a few times and gave up after a couple of weeks. I didn’t like the taste and it didn’t keep me going the rest of the day.

I wouldn’t say it’s motivation, so much as not having the time and patience to try and come up with three different meals a day, using houmous, falafel and courgette. I tried having the veg option at work a few times and gave up after a couple of weeks. I didn’t like the taste and it didn’t keep me going the rest of the day.

But you don't explain why you feel these things are 'stupid'. If there is a possibility to persuade people that veganism is a sound and appropriate lifestyle change, then there must be persuasive and informed information and evidence to support it. Biologically humans are omnivores, this is an indisputable fact based on our physiology.
I'm not an evangelist for vegans. You get a feeling for when and where it's appropriate to have certain conversations. Quite a few of the more frequent posters here are stupid and will steer a debate a certain way.

To give you the benefit of doubt It's just not going to happen. Nobody is going to push the big green vegan button and there'll be a need to slaughter the whole stock of animals. It's a stupid argument.

If meat wasn't supposed to be a part of the human diet, why do we have canine teeth and the metabolic chemical processes to digest it ?

Why do humans have an appendix? Why do men have nipples?

There are many aspects of our physiology that are evolutionarily redundant.

if the entire country was to switch to such a diet, would that mean the immediate culling of all cows, pigs, hens, etc, as they would no longer have an economic purpose. ( So much for animal rights ).

No, as it would not happen overnight. If it happens it will do so gradually over a period of time, and the laws of supply and demand will apply. As demand drops, farmers will react and slow down their breeding programs to match.

I'm not vegan myself, but when I visited a friend in Amsterdam recently we went to this place for dinner cos his girlfriend is...

https://www.veganjunkfoodbar.com/node/72

If I could get vegan food this tasty everywhere then I wouldn't have any difficulty giving up meat and dairy.

I respect their reasons for doing it but couldn’t be vegan myself. I went to a vegan food festival not long ago because the Mrs was into it, the food wasn’t great and I’ve never seen so many pale, unhealthy looking people in one place before.

You obviously can have a healthy vegan diet but I don’t think it’s as easy to have a balanced diet when you are cutting out so much. We have evolved to become omnivores, despite all the technology and comforts of modern life we are essentially just highly evolved hunter - gatherer monkeys whose existence has relied on other animals for millennia.

Having said all that there are some great vegan recipes in the BOSH books by Henry Firth and Ian Theasby.

Just my humble input.

I have a vested interest but I would politely take issue with the ability to rear animals humanely. There will always be some variance between people who work in the industry and those that are disconnected because they deal with livestock day in and day out and inevitably are less sensitive in their treatment of animals but it is counter productive for a farmer to not rear his livestock humanely; stressed animals are simply not productive. There are also premiums for schemes like red tractor and freedom foods which require regular vet inspections and a plethora of regulations in place to safeguard good practice. Your average farmer takes a huge amount of pride in his stock and works constantly to improve it. The closure in the eighties and nineties of local abattoirs is an issue because this added to the travel. Ideally 'home kills' where there is no stress would be a solution but this are outlawed. The meat from animals killed locally actually eats better because they are relaxed at slaughter.

Sadly the farming community is not savvy with PR and are losing the argument. If you want to film a bad news story from any farm you can always find one because on a livestock farm you will always have sick animals just like the human population. The biggest enemy is ignorance and it is lazy to just view sensationalist YouTube clips and come to a negative conclusion when if you were genuinely concerned you could make a few telephone calls and somebody will always provide the transparency you sought.

Some of us probably eat too much meat but nobody understands diet better than farmers and meat is an invaluable component of our food intake.

Edited by Sergei Gotsmanov

We are carnivores, our whole bodies are set up to eat a varied and balanced diet.

But if you choose to eat one way over the other, it doesn’t make you better or worse person.

Just be happy and eat how you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sergei and P&M raise some good points. Personally I'm not a vegan, but i enjoy vegan and vegetarian cuisine. Indeed one of the best meals I've had this year was vegan. I subscribe to the view that we're omnivores (not carnivores Cabbage). I know someone who ate a lot of meat but wouldn't eat anything green before the age of 20. Being scrawny, pasty faced and suffering bowel problems isn't the sole privilege of vegans!

One of biggest problems with western society is the increasing availability of cheap food. This has translated into larger and larger portion sizes over the years, well beyond what a human body requires for sustenance. In particular meat intake has rocketed. When i was a kid in the sixties a burger was two ounces. Then McD introduced the quarter pounder. Now any self-respecting gastro pub has 8oz burgers on the menu. Same with steaks. There's a compelling case for reducing meat production, both for health and environmental reasons

Sergei and P&M raise some good points. Personally I'm not a vegan, but i enjoy vegan and vegetarian cuisine. Indeed one of the best meals I've had this year was vegan. I subscribe to the view that we're omnivores (not carnivores Cabbage). I know someone who ate a lot of meat but wouldn't eat anything green before the age of 20. Being scrawny, pasty faced and suffering bowel problems isn't the sole privilege of vegans!

One of biggest problems with western society is the increasing availability of cheap food. This has translated into larger and larger portion sizes over the years, well beyond what a human body requires for sustenance. In particular meat intake has rocketed. When i was a kid in the sixties a burger was two ounces. Then McD introduced the quarter pounder. Now any self-respecting gastro pub has 8oz burgers on the menu. Same with steaks. There's a compelling case for reducing meat production, both for health and environmental reasons

Portion sizes of meat are definitely an issue imho. If meat portions were like I remember from childhood, ie a quarter of what they are now, the problem would be proportionately smaller and we'd all be healthier.

I’m not totally vegan but some serious food intolerances have pushed me that way. I still eat fish, and where I’m lactose intolerant lactose free milk and yogurt which is OK. Normal milk, yogurt, cheese, butter all out of bounds, as are a lot of highly processed foods made in an environment with lactose products. Eggs are fine though. Can only eat ice cream made with cashew nuts in the supermarket but recently Ben and Jerry’s have started doing dairy free which is quite decent. Going to buy an ice cream maker to do my own. Non dairy chocolate is much better than I’d thought, actually a more intense flavour. Have taken dairy free chocolate cakes into work and people have been very surprised by how nice it was.

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Kingsland Codger said:

The one from Yorkshire - who will tell us all about Yorkshire.

Tell me about it, i live in Yorkshire. Them and scousers, desperate to tell everyone where they are from first chance they get.

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Vegetarian pizza's are always the last thing left at a finger buffet, that has to be the acid test.

Depends. You can get awesome vegetarian food - Sainsburys do a really good mushroom, truffle and pecorino sourdough pizza. Probably the best restaurant in Brighton is veggie. Vegan on the other hand....   

• Like 1

Quite like Greggs vegan "steak" bakes. Can't really tell them from the original.

The vegan sausage rolls however are definitely inferior. 

Meat is very inefficient way of producing calories. To produce 1 calorie of beef requires 25 calories of feed. Even the most efficient (chicken) requires 9 calories.

• 6 months later...
30 minutes ago, whelk said:

Maybe explains why he is so grumpy. Although guess his heart scare triggered it 

I know some of them think they are saviours of the planet but seriously, what a joyless existence. Go out for dinner and have to check every single thing on the menu, what its cooked in and they are so self-righteous. I got told off by a vegan in Greggs the other day, buying my son a sausage roll and asked him if i wanted a vegan one, he replied no and a woman behind glared at me saying you should try it rather than dismissing it because it's got the word vegan on it, she then pointedly and loudly ordered two and a coffee without milk. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I know some of them think they are saviours of the planet but seriously, what a joyless existence. Go out for dinner and have to check every single thing on the menu, what its cooked in and they are so self-righteous. I got told off by a vegan in Greggs the other day, buying my son a sausage roll and asked him if i wanted a vegan one, he replied no and a woman behind glared at me saying you should try it rather than dismissing it because it's got the word vegan on it, she then pointedly and loudly ordered two and a coffee without milk. 

I feel I do my bit with black coffee. Does seem faddy but my bro in law is one and super fit as well. Swears by it. My problem is I can’t think of anything I could eat.

33 minutes ago, whelk said:

I feel I do my bit with black coffee. Does seem faddy but my bro in law is one and super fit as well. Swears by it. My problem is I can’t think of anything I could eat.

If people do it for health reasons good on them. It's the ones who are self righteous that drive me mad. Presumably if they're that worried about the planet then they dont drive cars either, or their almonds and avocados they feast on must be grown in their back garden, we cant have the omissions of planes flying them in destroying the environment now can we.

To be honest, there is quite alot of unfair sweeping statements you have made here. Most are not self righteous. Like most groups, you get a very vocal minority. To be honest, I hate that minority as well. They act holier than thou...whilst happy to wear polyester clothing made in sweat shops whilst polluting waterways. They can honestly go fuck themselves. 

Due to the nature of my work, I have known many vegetarians and vegans, as well as being one myself. Most of them are the kindest, most lovely people that you could possibly meet. The idea of them being aggressive and self righteous is really laughable. They are more likely to get overexcited about discovering a vegan carrot cake than get aggressive at someone. Only that doesn't make stories for the likes of The Sun to run with. You also won't come across them on the street as they are quiet about it. But the booming veggie market is testament that there are now loads, and most of them happily getting on with things.

What you experienced in Greggs was absolutely wrong. But people act as though the self righteousness only comes from vegans, but it definitely happens the other way around as well. I've lost count of the amount of times when a meat eater,  whether it be family or an acquaintance or some randomer in the pub, has aggressively challenged me on my beliefs. Particularly when I first went veggie around 12 years ago. They will do it out of nowhere as well. If someone is genuinely curious and asks me, I do explain. Otherwise I (and most others) keep ourselves to ourselves. Yet I have had random aggressive responses, trying to point out that my diet is 'unhealthy', always some pop-science shit about protein, some crap about plants have feelings, or any sort of rubbish they can find. Again, doesn't make headlines for papers to run with, easier to poke fun at the occasional stupid vegan. But I reckon most vegetarians/vegans have been on the receiving end more than the giving end.  

• Like 1

If people do it for health reasons good on them. It's the ones who are self righteous that drive me mad. Presumably if they're that worried about the planet then they dont drive cars either, or their almonds and avocados they feast on must be grown in their back garden, we cant have the omissions of planes flying them in destroying the environment now can we.

I’m not strictly vegan but am for the purposes of eating out. My body can’t process milk sugar which before being diagnosed through some unpleasant (but necessary) medical tests was making me quite unwell. Have lactose free dairy products at home to get my calcium but it’s too complex to explain to people when out and about so we just use vegan as a lot more common and look for vegan places to eat. I eat fish but find meat doesn’t agree with my digestive system either so that’s gone. Feeling a million times better since and the spells of chronic stomach cramps and heartburn gone. 

Edited by saint1977

54 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

To be honest, there is quite alot of unfair sweeping statements you have made here. Most are not self righteous. Like most groups, you get a very vocal minority. To be honest, I hate that minority as well. They act holier than thou...whilst happy to wear polyester clothing made in sweat shops whilst polluting waterways. They can honestly go fuck themselves. 

Due to the nature of my work, I have known many vegetarians and vegans, as well as being one myself. Most of them are the kindest, most lovely people that you could possibly meet. The idea of them being aggressive and self righteous is really laughable. They are more likely to get overexcited about discovering a vegan carrot cake than get aggressive at someone. Only that doesn't make stories for the likes of The Sun to run with. You also won't come across them on the street as they are quiet about it. But the booming veggie market is testament that there are now loads, and most of them happily getting on with things.

What you experienced in Greggs was absolutely wrong. But people act as though the self righteousness only comes from vegans, but it definitely happens the other way around as well. I've lost count of the amount of times when a meat eater,  whether it be family or an acquaintance or some randomer in the pub, has aggressively challenged me on my beliefs. Particularly when I first went veggie around 12 years ago. They will do it out of nowhere as well. If someone is genuinely curious and asks me, I do explain. Otherwise I (and most others) keep ourselves to ourselves. Yet I have had random aggressive responses, trying to point out that my diet is 'unhealthy', always some pop-science shit about protein, some crap about plants have feelings, or any sort of rubbish they can find. Again, doesn't make headlines for papers to run with, easier to poke fun at the occasional stupid vegan. But I reckon most vegetarians/vegans have been on the receiving end more than the giving end.  

Guess i've just met the militant ones then.

What did you make of the Gamechangers documentary? They were all very excited about that. 

Really good that someone like Souness has made it known that he doesn’t eat animal products. Hopefully, this will help to dispel the ‘snowflake’ stereotype. It should be noted too that he’s been vegan for 3 years and only mentioned it as an aside, in response to a directly related question - not as some big statement. As Sydney_saint says, most vegans really don’t care what others choose to eat and, if anything, it’s vegans that get drawn into unwelcome and sometimes confrontational conversations about their diet.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Could probably go vegetarian if I really tried but couldn't give up cheese.

My partner is a Vegetarian so the food in our house is all meat free etc so guess I'm a part time Vegetarian - whenever we go out for dinner it makes my Steak taste pretty good! She tried to go Vegan but couldn't do without Cheese and Eggs. 

15 hours ago, buctootim said:

Women seem to do better on a vegan diet than men - probably due to mens' higher muscle mass. The vegan women I know tend to look lean and fit but the guys usually just look skinny and undernourished.  

Getting nutrition, especially protein, from a plant based diet is more difficult and if someone is either not confident or uneducated when it comes to food/cooking then I can imagine they'd struggle to get what they need.  It is perfectly possible to have healthy, high protein diet from plant based foods if you know how.