Cricket World Cup Thread

Window Cleaner

My, my looks like Bangladesh are going to beat South Africa, bit of a surprise there surely?

Yes, SA batted OK but bowled horribly, was a used pitch where cutters were more useful than the volume of bouncers we have seen so far although with short balls as a variation. Bangladesh’s spinners bowled a bit quicker and made the ball grip off the surface. Shakir was quality.

South Africa look as if they could be up against it again today. Both openers gone already with just 24 on the board. Is Markram just dropped or has he some sort of injury? Would have thought he'd be among the first on their list with the match being at the Aegeas and all.

It is now 5 times in the tournament that the stumps have been hit by the ball but the bails have not come off. The David Warner one today was ridiculous, but the 'best' one was Chris Gayle being given out caught behind against Australia, only for the decision to be overturned on review because the ball hit the off stump rather than the edge of his bat.

It is now 5 times in the tournament that the stumps have been hit by the ball but the bails have not come off. The David Warner one today was ridiculous, but the 'best' one was Chris Gayle being given out caught behind against Australia, only for the decision to be overturned on review because the ball hit the off stump rather than the edge of his bat.

Was just watching the ladies against the windies - ball hits off stump 2 thirds of the way up and the bails stay on? Ok the spinner was on but Not one bit of movement - surely the cricketing authorities cannot let it continue.

Not much of a contest today. Despite England having two of their top batsmen injured and the WIndies supposedly having such a ferocious attack, England are strolling to an easy victory and the only concern is if it'll all be over before Root brings up his ton.

Not much of a contest today. Despite England having two of their top batsmen injured and the WIndies supposedly having such a ferocious attack, England are strolling to an easy victory and the only concern is if it'll all be over before Root brings up his ton.

Root is the first English batsman to score 3 centuries in World Cup matches.

A fair few of these matches aren't really contests. Sri Lanka looked to have Australia under control today but the Aussies are just showing that they can up the rate whenever they want with their top order. They'll make about 330 no doubt and bowl Sri Lanka out for about 260. England, Australia,New Zealand, India for the semis. Might as well cut to the chase and start on best of 3 semis .

James Vince yet again flatters to deceive.

Ah but pulling and not driving this time. Bloke needs to watch hours and hours of Chris Smith videos if he really wants to be an opener. I'd say Bazza and Gordon but they weren't always that disciplined but they had talent that no coaching could ever instill.

I can't believe after that innings, I'm left a little disappointed and that they came up short...

I don't think I heard them mention it, but he scored over a hundred runs just in sixes. That's an insane first.

Just proving that there's no place for sides like Afghanistan in the final stages of a world cup. Need to have yet another sub-tournament before the final round robin stage, think they do that for some olympic events, basketball etc. 8 teams is quite enough.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Just proving that there's no place for sides like Afghanistan in the final stages of a world cup. Need to have yet another sub-tournament before the final round robin stage, think they do that for some olympic events, basketball etc. 8 teams is quite enough.

To be fair, if it wasn't for England's total, they're putting on a pretty good batting display.

I disagree- one of the annoying things about this format for me is that there are only 10 teams- kind of puts to shame the notion of a 'World Cup'.

I would have liked to have seen 14 teams with 2 groups of 7 like before- cricket shouldn't be a closed shop and Afghanistan did okay considering we have one of the best bowling attacks in the world. I do hope Bangladesh can make it into the top 4 at the expense of Australia- can't stand those cheating Aussies and be good to mix things up in the world of Cricket.

I disagree- one of the annoying things about this format for me is that there are only 10 teams- kind of puts to shame the notion of a 'World Cup'.

I would have liked to have seen 14 teams with 2 groups of 7 like before- cricket shouldn't be a closed shop and Afghanistan did okay considering we have one of the best bowling attacks in the world. I do hope Bangladesh can make it into the top 4 at the expense of Australia- can't stand those cheating Aussies and be good to mix things up in the world of Cricket.

T'is true. World Cup is misleading. They should call it the British Empire (Former and Present Members) Cup.

Pretty clear that the top 4 will be England India NZ and Australia. All becoming a bit pointless until the semi final stage.

yes games are now practically dead rubbers with no genuine incentive for topping the group.

in effect England's last three games against Australia, India and NZ are like warm ups before the knockouts.

yes games are now practically dead rubbers with no genuine incentive for topping the group.

in effect England's last three games against Australia, India and NZ are like warm ups before the knockouts.

Ok so if England lose their next game to Australia, and Sri Lanka beat South Africa & Bangladesh beat Afghanistan, the England & Sri Lanka are level on points and Bangladesh are 1 point behind....then we have India.

Well I may be wrong now with the way Afghans are bowling thus far!

Is a competitive world cup back on after England’s horror show yesterday, and now potentially the Indian’s today

Afghanistan will probably be all out for 97. Good effort though.

well angry right now with this display urrgh

The saving grace is Bangladesh have India to play which I'd like to think is an easy India win, but trust us to blow the race wide open again just when it all looked settled.

SL and PAK also looking up too

Love this. Got the lottery numbers?..yeah?

Disgrace with the bat again bar Stokes who is the only one seemingly really trying. Vince is simply not an international level cricketer, even with a nice cover drive. The only saving grace is Roy, who can play at the highest level against proper fast bowling, is back hopefully for the last two games to do a man’s job. You can’t trust a boy to do it. The stance with Hales looks more than a bit OTT now.

Root and Morgan need to step up and rapidly. Practice and more practice. If Morgan’s back is an issue, do the decent thing for the team and step back. Buttler needs to get his finger out as well and play the conditions and opposition.

Disgrace with the bat again bar Stokes who is the only one seemingly really trying. Vince is simply not an international level cricketer, even with a nice cover drive. The only saving grace is Roy, who can play at the highest level against proper fast bowling, is back hopefully for the last two games to do a man’s job. You can’t trust a boy to do it. The stance with Hales looks more than a bit OTT now.

Root and Morgan need to step up and rapidly. Practice and more practice. If Morgan’s back is an issue, do the decent thing for the team and step back. Buttler needs to get his finger out as well and play the conditions and opposition.

Vince may well be an international cricketer but he's just not an opener at that level in any form of cricket. But as England are short an opener they keep giving him a chance there. He'd probably be OK at 4'ish but that place is already taken.