Moussa Djenepo

SuperSAINT

Hmm, not sure we can make any sort of judgment based on last night other than he was very lucky to still be on the pitch to be subbed off.

Also until last night I forgot how much I hate vuvuzela's!

So you can’t judge his work rate positioning touch on the ball?

Opposition were poor but there were some positives if you looked for them - big negative were 2 rash tackles.

Hamstrings are normally quicker than that. Six to eight weeks.

I think he's just doing banter or something.

I thought Djenepo went down on 65 minutes because he got an elbow dug into his upper back when someone jumped into him. Didn't watch much after that so I didn't actually see him go off.

From what I've seen of him in the ACON so far its almost ompossible to judge him because:

1. The standard of the games he has played in has been dreadful, probably league one or two

2. Mali are dreadful at getting him the ball in good areas, partly because the pitches look shocking and its so hot

3. He gets fouled as soon as he gets on the ball (probably the best inidcation that he is a threat)

From what I've seen of him in the ACON so far its almost ompossible to judge him because:

1. The standard of the games he has played in has been dreadful, probably league one or two

2. Mali are dreadful at getting him the ball in good areas, partly because the pitches look shocking and its so hot

3. He gets fouled as soon as he gets on the ball (probably the best inidcation that he is a threat)

I didn't see him getting fouled a lot yesterday, I saw him losing the ball though, perhaps there was a sly boot in somewhere that I didn't notice. His team mates did seem to be reluctant to give him the ball when he was in space though, seemed to always want to go the other side or boot it to Marega, probably because he's a bit of a newcomer.

Edited by Window Cleaner

• 2 weeks later...

He's started for Mali v Ivory Coast. Currently live on eurosport. Only 15 mins gone so can't comment much except that the tators have said that he's one of Africa's best prospects and that saints have made a great signing.

Zaha started for IC apparently but hasn't done much yet

Just read on the BBC site:

Southampton fans will be excited by that Moussa Djenepo run. The 21-year-old Mali winger, who joined the Saints this summer, speeds past a couple of defenders on the left and picks out Moussa Marega well with a cross.

Just read on the BBC site:

Oh great im so besides myself a proffessional footballer that can cross a ball from pressumably the wing and find a team mate ............that must take some skill to achive that .....looks like akeeper for us then.

Draws a lot of fouls and wins free kicks as his pace looks frightening

But on the ball looks a little confused, if not direct. A few poor passes in there too.

Definite potential but looks v.raw

I guess we wouldn't get a sniff if he was more advanced.

Draws a lot of fouls and wins free kicks as his pace looks frightening

But on the ball looks a little confused, if not direct. A few poor passes in there too.

Definite potential but looks v.raw

I guess we wouldn't get a sniff if he was more advanced.

Mane anyone?

I read his post and thought it was unusually balanced and sensible. It's correct that Djenepo "Draws a lot of fouls and wins free kicks as his pace looks frightening". His comment "on the ball looks a little confused, if not direct. A few poor passes in there too" is an accurate assessment of the player, as is "Definite potential but looks v.raw".

Yep,would agree with that after watching the match yesterday.

Mane anyone?

Really doesn't seem like a Mane type to me.

Throughout his career, Mane has been a natural goalscorer.

He seems more of a tricky wildcard with great pace who also works hard and tracks back.

I think he's more like Bolasie than he is Mane. That doesn't make him a bad player, though.

Im not sure many on here would compare a freshly signed Mane to the liverpool Mane when he first started. Whilst he looked quick he didnt look like a natural goal scored but over his time with Saints he developed and that is like Mane i will refrain for critisiing this player in his first year with saints.

I watched all the first game Mali played and the second half yesterday so not a huge amount and it's difficult to judge him (especially as Mali seemed to continuously ignore him and favoured attacking down the right instead). My thoughts are that he's certainly quick (probably not quite as quick as Mane but not too far off) and he likes a step-over or three. He should be good for us when he's in tight spots and evading challenges. I think he's the type of player that will benefit from having strict instructions on where to be and what to do because, like a lot similar players, he didn't seem to have much of an idea once he'd beaten a player. To be fair that could have been because Mali didn't really give him many options. Given his age though I'd be quite excited about his potential. Oh and his tackling in the first game was very reckless but yesterday he was much better - didn't leap into anything and realised that he was better when he harried the opposition rather than sticking his foot in.

He's not going to have too much time in pre-season so I think initially he'll be on the bench - it's going to be a huge step up for him anyway so that makes sense and will give him a bit of time to settle without too much pressure (especially if we start slowly again). Expect him to win lots of fouls and to have a ten minute YouTube video of full of skills and tricks that don't result in goals by Christmas.

Thought that he had a very good first half - couple of great dribbles and set up a good chance for Marega. Looks to have good close control, very quick and a good change of pace - burst past his full back from a standing start on a couple of occasions. As has been mentioned he drew lots of fouls. Faded a tad in the second half but still looked dangerous in patches - should have shown a bit of composure when through on goal but it was a tight angle and he seemed caught in two minds. All in all thought he looked very promising.

• 3 weeks later...