Moussa Djenepo

SuperSAINT

Spoke to some Belgian friends about him recently (well actually I was mainly asking about Maehle because one of them is a Genk fan), but they sent me this link about Djenepo which isn't in English but the video shows some of his play.

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/04/01/degryse-met-djenepo-heeft-standard-misschien-de-edmilson-van-v/

A few extra bits, either opinion from the Belgians or quotes from the article:

"oh he is talented. He is described as a playful or even slightly crazy player but at the same time a really good guy"

"at the end they say in the past year they have worked very hard on making him look around him while he's on the ball, because he used to stare into the ground too much. but they say they're now quite happy about his vision of the game, while still pulling off good dribbles"

"he's more of an attacking midfielder or winger"

Sounds like Boufal.

Loving the skills in the videos though. Let's hope he knows where the goal is.

Might be on my own here but I'd still rather we just gave boufal a run and concentrated on plugging the more important hole like striker centre backs etc, we also have Armstrong who still looks to have decent potential in a attacking role.

I'm quite convinced If we gave boufal a big run in the team he would never at least equal to Redmond and I think his ceiling is much higher.. better at dribbling and beating a man, better shot better technique in general. Would really like to see what he could do under a manager like Ralph .

What about a 4-2-2-2

Gunn

Valery new CB Benerek Berty

PEH Romeu

Redmond Djenepo

Ings Adams

looks decent to me. With 2 quick players that like to run at defences we will at least be exciting to watch next season

That's a perfect "if they score three, then we'll score two" line up.

What about a 4-2-2-2

Gunn

Valery new CB Benerek Berty

PEH Romeu

Redmond Djenepo

Ings Adams

looks decent to me. With 2 quick players that like to run at defences we will at least be exciting to watch next season

No room for our annointed son James then ;-)

Who are these people that rated Moi, Mayuka and Carrillo?

Only “good” game Moi had was Man City. We scouted the clown for years, that game is what made us sign him.

Mayuka, bought for African links, like Japanese players we’ve signed before

Carrillo, signed for the clown manager, not good in premier league.

New guy, you can see he has something about him, Ralph would’ve had a big say that he would work with his system and work rate he asks of his wide players. It depends if our fans can give him more than 20 minutes to score 10 goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be on my own here but I'd still rather we just gave boufal a run and concentrated on plugging the more important hole like striker centre backs etc, we also have Armstrong who still looks to have decent potential in a attacking role.

I'm quite convinced If we gave boufal a big run in the team he would never at least equal to Redmond and I think his ceiling is much higher.. better at dribbling and beating a man, better shot better technique in general. Would really like to see what he could do under a manager like Ralph .

Personally I think the attacking mid is a very big priority especially as it seems Ralph wants Redmond further forward in his preferred formation.

I hope hope boufal comes back and knuckles down and shows he’s capable of being part of things but we shouldn’t be relying on that.

Armstrong doesn’t strike me as someone who is particularly well suited to how Ralph want to play either.

Why not both? We were so lucky last season that Redmond didn't get injured - we literally had no other options in terms of attacking pace and creativity. Djenpo, Boufal, Redmond and, say, Sims competing for two places would be a bounty of riches compared to the last year.

Armstrong is absolute dump. Don't know how he's even a professional footballer when he can barely control the ball.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Sounds like Boufal.

Loving the skills in the videos though. Let's hope he knows where the goal is.

Yeah that’s what I thought. I think we should give Boufal a chance and hope he impresses, but if he doesn’t feature next season then we only really have Redmond as a player who runs at defenders (and Sims, but he still has other areas to improve). On the other hand, if Boufal does step up then is it a disaster to have another attacker who can open teams up? Of all the positions, attacking midfielders/wingers are probably the ones you need most options for.

Why not both? We were so lucky last season that Redmond didn't get injured - we literally had no other options in terms of attacking pace and creativity. Djenpo, Boufal, Redmond and, say, Sims competing for two places would be a bounty of riches compared to the last year.

Armstrong is absolute dump. Don't know how he's even a professional footballer when he can barely control the ball.

I'm a big believer in players having to have a decent run in the team to hit a rich vein of form, which is exactly what Redmond had last year.. the season before him and boufal were pretty much chopped and changed with each other and it didn't really benefit either and there stats were pretty similar. Jwp another that benefitted from getting a decent run, many fans thought he was gash before.. and then we have the likes of gabbi decent player but getting the odd start of being brought in about 75 mins wasn't helping you could see him trying to impress by trying to hit long shots all the time as he had little time to impress and make a impact..

Re Armstrong pretty harsh imo.. he looked one of our more creative and intelligent players in some games.. and had some guile about him which is quite rare in our team also full of energy and has a shot on him

I'm a big believer in players having to have a decent run in the team to hit a rich vein of form, which is exactly what Redmond had last year.. the season before him and boufal were pretty much chopped and changed with each other and it didn't really benefit either and there stats were pretty similar. Jwp another that benefitted from getting a decent run, many fans thought he was gash before.. and then we have the likes of gabbi decent player but getting the odd start of being brought in about 75 mins wasn't helping you could see him trying to impress by trying to hit long shots all the time as he had little time to impress and make a impact..

Re Armstrong pretty harsh imo.. he looked one of our more creative and intelligent players in some games.. and had some guile about him which is quite rare in our team also full of energy and has a shot on him

The thing is, players like Redmond, Boufal and co are confidence players, Ralph has this wonderful thing about him that the last three managers didn’t have, personality and positivity. You tell a player like redmond, boufal etc that you want them to take a man on, it doesn’t matter if you lose the ball - get it back etc etc and it comes of a few times, they get the arm round the shoulder told they are world beaters, all that nonsense. Suddenly they will play better, it’s not rocket science why redmond has improved, really isn’t.

Sorry disagree with reference to Armstrong. His spacial awareness is one of his biggest weaknesses. He is often out of position which are both not missed by Ralph...

Overall he hasn’t reached the levels that might have been thought he would.

I'm on holiday from posting but can't ignore such a ridiculous comment.

Very useful player, astute, aware and with a decent shot.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yeh that is very harsh on Armstrong, clearly a solid if not spectacular player who was probably unlucky not to get a longer run in the team.

I mean I'm excited about this guy, love the double nutmeg that is doing the rounds and physically he looks right the PL, he's big and looks quick, so that already ticks some boxes.

But we have been let down so many times before, but this player seems to have a little X factor about him but is probably a little rough around the edges, I am thinking they have seen enough ingredients in him to polish him into a good player but he might be a little inconsistent and frustrating early on.

So aware that he repeatedly wanders infield off the wing to be closed down by 2-3 players around the centre circle and refuses to offload the ball, losing it and allowing the opposition to counter for a free goal.

Incredibly aware and astute.

He is probably worth what we paid for him in today's money, so mid/lower championship level.

A midfielder with no midfield attributes. Poor touch, poor passer, poor spacial awareness, a liability in the tackle (or the jump-out-of the tackle) and positionally indisciplined.

But he does have a nice shot. So, I suppose that's something. Not really in terms of goals or assists, but hey. Cracking head of hair.

I suppose it's possible that Hasenhuttl's not picking him because he's just TOO damn good and he doesn't want his value to depreciate through overuse, but the more likely explanation is that he thinks he's crap.

I saw a report from a Belgian coach the other day (was it Proud'Homme?) who acknowledged the above (and it was a thought that occurred to me too) but said he was still developing. Not the finished article would be a fair summary, but as we can't afford them this guy looks like a player we can develop and he's certainly got the pace we need.

He also doesn't need to exceed a massive bar to be one of our most effective attackers, something like a season of 5 goals and 5 assists would be better than what we have for a while now and would improve the team, so if he can create the odd moment of brilliance to score some goals and create some chances, even if he is inconsistent, I'll take it.

I mean out top scorers got 7 and the most assists anyone got is 4.

The thing is, players like Redmond, Boufal and co are confidence players, Ralph has this wonderful thing about him that the last three managers didn’t have, personality and positivity. You tell a player like redmond, boufal etc that you want them to take a man on, it doesn’t matter if you lose the ball - get it back etc etc and it comes of a few times, they get the arm round the shoulder told they are world beaters, all that nonsense. Suddenly they will play better, it’s not rocket science why redmond has improved, really isn’t.

Redmond lacked confidence, under Puel and MoPe he looked like he didn't want to take a man on and often drifted around the sides, waiting for Bertrand or Cedric to overlap.

Boufal has never lacked confidence, if anything he is guilty of trying to take on an entire team, or charge blindly into a disappearing space, only to lose the ball.

So aware that he repeatedly wanders infield off the wing to be closed down by 2-3 players around the centre circle and refuses to offload the ball, losing it and allowing the opposition to counter for a free goal.

Incredibly aware and astute.

He is probably worth what we paid for him in today's money, so mid/lower championship level.

You've picked one instance which is clearly all you've seen to form a view. On the whole he was creative and positive.

Agreed, not a star, but a useful squad player.

Mane ran into people, wasted chances and looked lost at times in his first season. Takes time and effort to turn that raw skill and apply it correctly in a much tougher and fast paced league - look forward to seeing what he can do over the next couple of seasons.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

A midfielder with no midfield attributes. Poor touch, poor passer, poor spacial awareness, a liability in the tackle (or the jump-out-of the tackle) and positionally indisciplined.

But he does have a nice shot. So, I suppose that's something. Not really in terms of goals or assists, but hey. Cracking head of hair.

I suppose it's possible that Hasenhuttl's thinks he's crap.

Why are you talking about JWP? I'm getting confused.com

Just to clarify Is moussa djenpo purely a RH signing as in a player he has identified & requested to bring to the club?

Or is this something to do with Ross Wilson or the other incompetent people at the club & RH has been told to say it's his signing?

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Just to clarify Is moussa djenpo purely a RH signing as in a player he has identified & requested to bring to the club?

Or is this something to do with Ross Wilson or the other incompetent people at the club & RH has been told to say it's his signing?

It’s too early to say. If he’s good he will be Ralph signing or possibly one Paul Mitchell had identified before he left.

If he’s crap he will be a Ross Wilson signing or possibly one bumbling Les had tied up before he got the boot.

We can revisit this around Christmas time to give an informed decision.

How would we know?

It’s too early to say. If he’s good he will be Ralph signing or possibly one Paul Mitchell had identified before he left.

If he’s crap he will be a Ross Wilson signing or possibly one bumbling Les had tied up before he got the boot.

Why christmas will you be re-opening your comment then?

Christmas? We normally call it after a single game, surely.

ven Claes

Verified account

@svenclaes

5m5 minutes ago

More Sven Claes Retweeted Sven Claes

�� Official @SouthamptonFC. @MoussaDjenepo2 (20) passed his medicals in Paris. Paperwork all done. #SaintsFC

Great stuff. (In theory) a good signing. Mane-esque wild-card to add pace & variety to the attack. Very raw though.

Gives us licence to put Redmond through the middle or utilise them on both wings.

The squad has been absolutely crying out for genuine pace in transition and on the counter ever since Mane left. Looks like he brings that, and can finish with either foot, which is a bonus.

Between him and Redmond it’s gonna give Ings hamstrings a test or two :uhoh: