Women’s World Cup

whelk

I agree. But at least things are moving in the right direction for women’s football. I don’t believe that people have watched this WC because of the hype. I believe they have watched because they are genuinely interested. Now that needs to be built on. It needs more investment and more support financially from the FA but ultimately it needs to generate more cash itself which means more bums on seats, more people watching on tv and more sponsorship. The USA have shown what can be done if you support the sports at grass roots financially. I hope that this WC will provide the impetus for other countries to follow suit. Hopefully we are moving away from calling women footballers “9 pinters” and closer towards referring to their sporting abilities. Going into this WC I heard that women goal keepers were a joke. True, some have been poor, but I have seen a number of quality performances, not least from the Netherlands keeper last night. There has also been some comical defending but also some brilliant defending, not to mention a number of cracking goals. Women’s football is still seen as a poor relation to men’s football so I don’t see the problem in highlighting the financial issues. They do need to be addressed if the momentum from this WC is to continue.
Women only have to play the best of 3 sets in tennis and men best of 5. The difference between the top 10in the womens game and the rest is massive, with many games going 6-1 6-1.No competition. At the end of the day, when womens football command 60k attendances week in and week out, that billions watch it, then their wages will go up accordingly but there is no way they deserve to be anywhere near a mans wage in this sport at this moment in time.( not that I believe many of the male footballers deserve the pay)

is there the appetite for top level female football in this country?

i do not believe there is. Soon we will have football almost 7 days a week. Where does the ladies football fit into that AND get the required constant funding stream to be 'self sustaining'?

in line with what Benji says, soon many of the top ladies sports stars will be male by birth.....

Rosa Parks and the struggle against racism at every level is hardly akin to women’s wages in football.

Tennis is not. similar either. People seem to want a cause and will always have a willing champion in you eh SOG.

I was just making a flippant point about discrimination. I am aware that tennis is not similar but do women get paid proportionally for their 3 sets against the men’s 5? Is women’s football getting reasonable funding from the FA? Do young girls have equal opportunities to play football at school or through local clubs? Whether you care about women’s football or not there is clearly an appetite for those wanting to play and those wanting to watch it. The current debate is about getting the funding required to support women’s football. It seems to me a reasonable thing for those interested in it to fight for better funding and in doing so you cannot ignore “gender politics” given the historic issues that women have faced over inequality.

I was just making a flippant point about discrimination. I am aware that tennis is not similar but do women get paid proportionally for their 3 sets against the men’s 5? Is women’s football getting reasonable funding from the FA? Do young girls have equal opportunities to play football at school or through local clubs? Whether you care about women’s football or not there is clearly an appetite for those wanting to play and those wanting to watch it. The current debate is about getting the funding required to support women’s football. It seems to me a reasonable thing for those interested in it to fight for better funding and in doing so you cannot ignore “gender politics” given the historic issues that women have faced over inequality.
"As an article in Forbes points out, the 2015 Women’s World Cup brought in almost $73million, of which the players got 13 per cent. The 2010 men’s World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which only nine per cent went to the players. Last year, the men’s World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion total in revenue but the participating teams shared only $400 million of that – less than seven per cent of the overall revenue. Meanwhile, the 2019 Women’s World Cup made somewhere in the region of $131million, doling out $30million – well over 20 per cent of collected revenue – to the participating teams."

So proportionally the woman already make more than their male counterparts.

Fair enough.

Yeah there's other league sides nearby, but I reckon taking her to a women's match first is a good idea, and if she likes it then I'll see about taking her to a proper game. I don't think she's actually got the attention span for it yet, so if she does get bored and want to go home at least it won't have cost me a huge amount.

Women's Euro2021 is coming to Southampton and Sheffield. St Mary's and Bramall Lane being some of the larger grounds they should get some good matches.

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/uefa-womens-euro-2021-ticket-information

"As an article in Forbes points out, the 2015 Women’s World Cup brought in almost $73million, of which the players got 13 per cent. The 2010 men’s World Cup in South Africa made almost $4 billion, of which only nine per cent went to the players. Last year, the men’s World Cup in Russia generated over $6 billion total in revenue but the participating teams shared only $400 million of that – less than seven per cent of the overall revenue. Meanwhile, the 2019 Women’s World Cup made somewhere in the region of $131million, doling out $30million – well over 20 per cent of collected revenue – to the participating teams."

So proportionally the woman already make more than their male counterparts.

Very interesting figures, but do we know how much makes it’s way to funding women’s football below WC level down to the grass roots? I have not seen anyone refute claims that women’s football is relatively underfunded.

Very interesting figures, but do we know how much makes it’s way to funding women’s football below WC level down to the grass roots? I have not seen anyone refute claims that women’s football is relatively underfunded.

It may be underfunded, but what's it underfunded in relation to. As far as I am concerned, woman's football should be funded by woman's football and not off the back of the men's game. I have no problem with women being paid in line with men if that's what their game is generating - none at all. Unfortunately though, when I watch the games I see swathes of empty seats, I see a little coverage on TV, but nothing in the pay per view arena, so I fail to see, at this point in time, how funds are being generated to put it in line with the men's game.

It may be underfunded, but what's it underfunded in relation to. As far as I am concerned, woman's football should be funded by woman's football and not off the back of the men's game. I have no problem with women being paid in line with men if that's what their game is generating - none at all. Unfortunately though, when I watch the games I see swathes of empty seats, I see a little coverage on TV, but nothing in the pay per view arena, so I fail to see, at this point in time, how funds are being generated to put it in line with the men's game.

I don’t know Micky. I have no idea how women’s football is funded but those who work in that area say there is an issue so I have no reason to disbelieve them. As for men’s football, the FA is there to support football and as far as I know, is not gender specific. I don’t know how much the F A spend on the development of women’s football in comparison to men’s football but am willing to assume that it is a great deal less.

I don’t know Micky. I have no idea how women’s football is funded but those who work in that area say there is an issue so I have no reason to disbelieve them. As for men’s football, the FA is there to support football and as far as I know, is not gender specific. I don’t know how much the F A spend on the development of women’s football in comparison to men’s football but am willing to assume that it is a great deal less.

But where is the FA funded from? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for equality and the rest of it, but earn it on your own merit. I hope woman's football is a raging success, but currently I see things in the press where the ladies are saying that they want equal pay, and again that's fine. But the ladies need to generate the funds themselves in order to warrant these payments and make their own game self sufficient in its own right.