Women’s World Cup

whelk

One game - clearly there is massive disparity between some of the teams.

Andorra and Gibraltar would get dicked similarly most games but for just piling 11 men in the their own box and hoping for 3-0 defat. I take those games very seriously.

If Gibraltar and Andorra were at the men's world cup I'd also be calling it a joke.

If Gibraltar and Andorra were at the men's world cup I'd also be calling it a joke.

But the problem is within thec system of attribution of the places. From what I understood the Thais were qualified because they were 4th in the Asian Championship, perhaps there were ony 4 teams for all I know. They're classed 32nd or 34 th or something in the FIFA standings so in theory there are better teams who don't get a spot because of the geographical system of qualifying. It's the same as the men's world cup, better teams don't get a place because of the bias towards Central America, Asia and Africa.

But the problem is within thec system of attribution of the places. From what I understood the Thais were qualified because they were 4th in the Asian Championship, perhaps there were ony 4 teams for all I know. They're classed 32nd or 34 th or something in the FIFA standings so in theory there are better teams who don't get a spot because of the geographical system of qualifying. It's the same as the men's world cup, better teams don't get a place because of the bias towards Central America, Asia and Africa.
I haven't seen the worst teams at the men's world cup losing by such a ludicrous score.

I haven't seen the worst teams at the men's world cup losing by such a ludicrous score.

But then mens teams wouldn't just give up like the Thais last night. they were all too small and they knew it, gave up at 4 or 5 nil.

Didn't Brazil get tonked 7-1 or something by Germany in 2014 ? Further back there were tournaments when qualifying for the knock-out stages depended on how many you put past Zaire , think the Yougoslavs scored 9 or so.

But then mens teams wouldn't just give up like the Thais last night. they were all too small and they knew it, gave up at 4 or 5 nil.

Didn't Brazil get tonked 7-1 or something by Germany in 2014 ? Further back there were tournaments when qualifying for the knock-out stages depended on how many you put past Zaire , think the Yougoslavs scored 9 or so.

Yeah if you want to go back over thirty years you can find similar scores. If true, the fact that the thais just gave up in what should be the biggest tournament just proves my point. BBC sport have it on their front page like it's a triumph when in reality it's a complete embarrassment.

They should be taking steps to make the tournament more exclusive with teams on a more comparable level if they ever want to gain more legitimacy.

Yeah if you want to go back over thirty years you can find similar scores. If true, the fact that the thais just gave up in what should be the biggest tournament just proves my point. BBC sport have it on their front page like it's a triumph when in reality it's a complete embarrassment.

They should be taking steps to make the tournament more exclusive with teams on a more comparable level if they ever want to gain more legitimacy.

You are absolutely right there, the Thais,among others, shouldn't be in this tournament and 16 teams would be quite enough. But then it's about commercial issues again isn't it.

If it's a World Cup, then all teams around the world can enter. I hope the Thais aren't feeling utterly demoralised today after that.

Any chance we can get a bid in on Jill Morgan? :) I would say she's a babe, but such comments seem to annoy the 'new men' like Batman.

To be sure they can all enter but it's FIFA's job to ensure that pure rubbish like the Thais, totally inadapted to football, don't make fools of themselves before a global audience. They obviously want maximum commercial revenue so effectively they've allowed a nation to do exactly that.

If it's a World Cup, then all teams around the world can enter. I hope the Thais aren't feeling utterly demoralised today after that.

Any chance we can get a bid in on Jill Morgan? :) I would say she's a babe, but such comments seem to annoy the 'new men' like Batman.

Alex Morgan you mean ? Thought she made Shane Long look a bit puny.

And then you get utter nonsense like this.

fed10b580515786ece66b81b0e022e0a.jpg

I agree with this, the pay is unequal. Men get paid ~8% of revenue, whereas the women are getting paid 13%. They should reduce the women's pay to be more equivalent to the mens. (or increase the men's pay to that of the women)

I agree with this, the pay is unequal. Men get paid ~8% of revenue, whereas the women are getting paid 13%. They should reduce the women's pay to be more equivalent to the mens. (or increase the men's pay to that of the women)

Or even better do away with women only competitions entirely and have just mixed gender events. Let them see how it feels to take a 25-0 or so beating by a middle ranked men's side.icon6.png Pay to be based on results of course. I agree entirely with equal pay for equal work but in this case it isn't is it.

Or even better do away with women only competitions entirely and have just mixed gender events. Let them see how it feels to take a 25-0 or so beating by a middle ranked men's side.icon6.png Pay to be based on results of course. I agree entirely with equal pay for equal work but in this case it isn't is it.

My thoughts exactly.

I have often wondered wat the maximum score could be in practical terms. It takes quite a bit of time to run up half the pitch, score, bring the ball back and wait for the other team to kick off again. I have played in quite a few drubbings in my time. On the receiving end, of course.

My thoughts exactly.

I have often wondered wat the maximum score could be in practical terms. It takes quite a bit of time to run up half the pitch, score, bring the ball back and wait for the other team to kick off again. I have played in quite a few drubbings in my time. On the receiving end, of course.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/nigeria/10197198/Plateau-United-Feeders-and-Police-Machine-players-banned-after-Nigerian-football-matches-end-79-0-and-67-0.html

Pretty soft penalty that the French got yesterday evening ?? I mean the norwegian cleared the ball and just kicked the french woman a bit on her follow through.

Yeah, an odd one that. In live time, I called 'penalty' and when play continued I was calling for VAR. When it went to VAR and was played back multiple times, I saw the French player, both feet off the floor, jump into the kick path of the Norweigan player, who - as you say - connected with the French maid's knee on the follow through. Then I was in the camp of 'NO penalty'. I was amazed it was then given as a penalty!!!

Diani though. She can go into my fantasy dream team any time. :)

Pearce can’t bring himself to say any thing is poor as he would inevitably have said in men’s game. As some England player completely fcks up a cross all he says is ‘wide’

Barry Davies would have blown a gasket

Pearce can’t bring himself to say any thing is poor as he would inevitably have said in men’s game. As some England player completely fcks up a cross all he says is ‘wide’

Barry Davies would have blown a gasket

First time I bothered watching it last night. It's a complete load of t0ss, frankly.

The strange fawning by Pearce was making my skin crawl. I noticed how he'd almost sound critical, then cover it over with how she was a 'leader' or was this or that. You can imagine him being the sort of person who would switch to a winning side... very weasly.

The football was utter g4sh and to see grown up blokes in wigs, facepaint etc was, er, strange.

Fair enough, if it makes them happy let them get on with their WC but the 5 minute long adverts, constantly over-pumped articles and a thinly disguised anti-male agenda is nauseating and worrying for the future.

Let's be serious and recognise it for what it is; a substandard but fairly harmless event given far too much attention than it deserves because the over-sensitive, snowflake media.

Indeed not doing them a any favours.

Apparently Souness criticised Alex Scott on some opinion. She said she was pleased because that is how he would have replied to Redknapp etc. Although people piled onto him as he wasn’t respecting a woman’s opinion.

I don’t mind this WC at all, the only thing that grates is the BBC and others pretence of its status. As bad is blokes banging on about how sh1t it is - we can all see its level.

Edited by whelk

Indeed not doing them a any favours.

Apparently Souness criticised Alex Scott on some opinion. She said she was pleased because that is how he would have replied to Redknapp etc. Although people piled onto him as he wasn’t respecting a woman’s opinion.

I don’t mind this WC at all, the only thing that grates is the BBC and others pretence of its status. As bad is blokes banging on about how sh1t it is - we can all see its level.

Haha, I remember that. Souness didn't even do anything wrong - and that's where we're at now in society.

I'd watched women's football before out of curiosity but the WC in Canada was actually something I watched alot of. It was a nice balance of exposure for me.

I've actually been completely put off it now, it genuinely feels like an unrelenting, neverending wave of pro-feminine propaganda.

USA look miles ahead of everyone else. They haven’t been really tested yet though and it will be interesting to see what they are like defensively if a side ever gets to put them under some pressure. The Swedes should give them a tougher test.

Today’s game are hard to call. A £10 double on Sweden and USA will win you a whopping 30p

Bit like a double on Man City versus um...Saints and Liverpool v Huddersfield last season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

USA look miles ahead of everyone else. They haven’t been really tested yet though and it will be interesting to see what they are like defensively if a side ever gets to put them under some pressure. The Swedes should give them a tougher test.

Doubt it. The USA girls are by far the best side in the tournament. Their game even approaches real football at times. Mind you that's probably normal, they've all probably been through their collegiate system just to play football and get some sort of social sciences degree.

So with the result of that game it appears that whomsoever wins one of tonight's "no interest" games will qualifiy for the knock out stages. Imagine the absolutely dire Thailand beating Chile with Cameroon and NZ drawing and you have Thailand in the last 16.

Don't think that'll happen though, Cameroon should get the spot easily enough.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Elbows to the face and spitting from Cameroon.
The way they've acted in this match will be totally ignored by the "women's football is so much fairer" brigade who champion it as a bastion of sportsmanship and fair play.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The way they've acted in this match will be totally ignored by the "women's football is so much fairer" brigade who champion it as a bastion of sportsmanship and fair play.

It is, by and large. The exception doesn't make the rule. We have a young winger who acts like she's just snorted, occasionally, but there is nothing like I've seen at my male friend's Sunday League games. You should get out a bit more and watch some.

It is, by and large. The exception doesn't make the rule. We have a young winger who acts like she's just snorted, occasionally, but there is nothing like I've seen at my male friend's Sunday League games. You should get out a bit more and watch some.

This. You can't compare women's internationals with premier league level men's games. Sunday league is where the relevant comparison is - and at that level, the men misbehave far more.