Women’s World Cup

whelk

Looking forward to it. The Matildas have a really good team and could go far in the tournament which is exciting. Whilst we are still outsiders, it still presents a rare opportunity to win a World football tournament or make a final and let people know we can produce good footballing sides. Also most of our sports teams aren't exactly popular with the Aussie public at the moment for various reasons (egos, generally being ****, tampering) and the Matildas are (possibly) the most loved sports team in Aus at the moment. Look out for Sam Kerr-she in wonderfully talented and expect her to make a big dent on the tournament.

Don't get me wrong, I like girls and I like football.

I also like elephants. Interesting animals. Wouldn't watch them on the TV trying to play football though.

Have you seen our defence? I have far more confidence in an elephant clearing the ball then our lumber centre backs

Don't get me wrong, I like girls and I like football.

I also like elephants. Interesting animals. Wouldn't watch them on the TV trying to play football though.

But they aren’t trying to play football. They are playing football. You don’t have to watch it, you can spend your time brushing up on your homophobic jokes.

But they aren’t trying to play football. They are playing football. You don’t have to watch it, you can spend your time brushing up on your homophobic jokes.

Well said. I think it’s great. And my 10 year old footballer daughter, who loves football (and Saints) thinks so too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who’s looking forward to it?

Documentary on BBC was good.

Was that the one Mrs JBS mentioned tonight, with the bit about all the Ladies who worked in the munitions factories and the like during the war started playing Football as works teams and got pretty damn good at it, drawing in huge crowds. Then after the war he FA had a meeting and after just 15 minutes decided to ban any male coaches from working with Womens teams and Womens football slowly dwindled away?

If its of no interest there are a gazillion other channels to watch and Love Island. I would say to anyone sat on the fence about Womens football if the USA are on song watching them is worth the effort, if the Final is USA v Canada might be an idea to cancel washing your hair.

Guys might not be interested in women's football, but they always seem to be happy to make the effort to tell you that they're not interested and how bad it is. If you know the posters on this board it was easy enough to predict some of the responders/responses.

JBS, my late gran played a little bit for the Fulwood Barracks office team in 1916, although she soon gave up as she didn't like the early morning training. Her comment on ****, Kerr Ladies was "they looked ever so well dressed and posh [munition workers well relatively well paid] but then they'd open their mouths"!

Couldn't care less and fed up of having lower standard football rammed down our throats like it's top level. It isn't. Fair enough to those that enjoy it, but, not for me.

It is poor quality, of course, but so is women’s tennis, women’s golf, women’s athletics, etc etc. There is still a place for it. It’s like the paralympics, which is lower quality, but still has a place. Think of them as overcoming their handicap to achieve something for themselves.

I do think it would be FAR more popular if they wore netball uniforms instead of men’s kits. All other women’s sports have their own more feminine attire. Then I think no one would complain...

That’s where our recruitment has gone wrong! We haven’t been targeting players on their level of attractiveness! Dear god, I knew what sort of comments to expect from that 70’s throwback Duckhunter, but can’t we do better than that guys? Women’s football is improving and there is clearly a growing market for it. As many girls play soccer as boys in the US. If more girls start getting into football as a result of the World Cup it can only be a good thing. Time to grow up guys.

Reality is most blokes look at women in sport, on tv etc as how fit they are. Can’t get away from that being biological.

I’m glad it is on as something to watch and no doubt interest will grow if we do well

It is poor quality, of course, but so is women’s tennis, women’s golf, women’s athletics, etc etc. There is still a place for it. It’s like the paralympics, which is lower quality, but still has a place. Think of them as overcoming their handicap to achieve something for themselves.

I do think it would be FAR more popular if they wore netball uniforms instead of men’s kits. All other women’s sports have their own more feminine attire. Then I think no one would complain...

Would you feel comfortable if fans of Liverpool, Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc felt the same about us? Good for old little Southampton, trying to get over their handicap of being a small provincial club and trying to play football? Maybe more people would be interested in us if we actually played as Saints- put some wings on the kit for example! That would get more people watching us! This is the bit that both confuses and amuses me. We are Saints fan, it's not like we watch football to be played at the highest level. Well maybe some of the perennial moaners. People are so quick to complain about the standard of women's football, yet were happy to pay 30 quid a ticket to go watch Lloyd James, Ollie Lancashire and Romain Gasmi lumber around the pitch!

Would you feel comfortable if fans of Liverpool, Man City, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc felt the same about us? Good for old little Southampton, trying to get over their handicap of being a small provincial club and trying to play football? Maybe more people would be interested in us if we actually played as Saints- put some wings on the kit for example! That would get more people watching us! This is the bit that both confuses and amuses me. We are Saints fan, it's not like we watch football to be played at the highest level. Well maybe some of the perennial moaners. People are so quick to complain about the standard of women's football, yet were happy to pay 30 quid a ticket to go watch Lloyd James, Ollie Lancashire and Romain Gasmi lumber around the pitch!

I agree with you, and yes those clubs fans do look at us in that way, and I am comfortable with it. The likes of Lancashire though, whilst terrible, would still boss it in the women’s game, there is a hierarchy, and we are where we are...

Saints don’t have wings though, you are thinking of angels ?

Disappointing crowd for the EngSco game. And that's one of the problems - lack of atmosphere doesn't help with the game.

I remember hearing a v. good radio interview with an England player who said a couple of things that have stuck with me. The Ladies can compete with the Men U17, maybe sometimes U18, but after that, no chance. This player then went on to suggest changing the pitch and goal sizes. I thought that made sense. These full size pitches are designed really for the men's game, would the spectacle not be better if the pitch size was reduced by 10-15%? Maybe more (and I can't remember if she gave an opinion on how much the reduction should be).

Disappointing crowd for the EngSco game. And that's one of the problems - lack of atmosphere doesn't help with the game.

I remember hearing a v. good radio interview with an England player who said a couple of things that have stuck with me. The Ladies can compete with the Men U17, maybe sometimes U18, but after that, no chance. This player then went on to suggest changing the pitch and goal sizes. I thought that made sense. These full size pitches are designed really for the men's game, would the spectacle not be better if the pitch size was reduced by 10-15%? Maybe more (and I can't remember if she gave an opinion on how much the reduction should be).

It is in Nice - got to be quite dedicated to go there even though lovely weather this time of year,

Well I quite enjoyed that game. Obviously they don't have the pace and power that the men have, but both teams showed good organisation and tactical awareness.

Thought they both looked very tired towards the end though. Someone suggested they should play on smaller pitches, but given the obvious problems with that maybe a better idea would be to play for less time - perhaps 35 minutes per half.

One aspect of the women's game that I really respect is the lack of play-acting and theatrics. Never seen a woman player rolling around like she's been shot after the slightest bit of contact. The men could learn a lot from that.

I really like it, but yes, agree with post above, that maybe 30 mins per half would be better. (Like tennis, best of 3 sets for the ladies.)

Any chance to see Alex Scott is welcomed. She looked great in an orange dress yesterday. (citation not available.)

Inciteful punditry. Committed football without the histrionics of the mens game.

I really like it, but yes, agree with post above, that maybe 30 mins per half would be better. (Like tennis, best of 3 sets for the ladies.)

Any chance to see Alex Scott is welcomed. She looked great in an orange dress yesterday. (citation not available.)

Inciteful punditry. Committed football without the histrionics of the mens game.

jesus, what a dinosaur

definitely should be shorter games, 30mins each way sounds good. I would also make the pitch 40 yards shorter (or maybe play width-ways?). Make the ball lighter so that we can get more power into the ball, (it's crazy to use the same optimised ball weight for men and women). That should make the physical side of the game much easier, and then we should see more goals, at which point, we make the goals a little bit smaller. It's crazy that the goal size designed for average 6ft+ men are also used for women who are on average under 6ft.

OR, alternatively, allow trans-women to play at every level, and just keep things the same. the only disadvantage here is that women would not be able to make it into the international teams.

I've not watched a lot of women's football before but it seems to me that the style of football that they all seem to be trying to play is straight out of the old coaching manuals with very little personal panache at all. I mean it's watchable, but then so are U13 games. Watched both games yesterday and the number of stray passes and poor ball controls would send most coaches into fits of rage. Still there are a few reputedly good teams still to go on show, perhaps it'll be better. Mind you at least there was a bit of oomph in the Cameroon-Canada game, even a bit of rolling about on the deck.

Unfortunately scorelines like that do little for the credibility of the woman's game, especially at a world cup final tournament. Time the organisers had a rethink.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

And people wonder why this isn't taken very seriously.

One game - clearly there is massive disparity between some of the teams.

Andorra and Gibraltar would get dicked similarly most games but for just piling 11 men in the their own box and hoping for 3-0 defat. I take those games very seriously.