Best Saints foul?

Seeing the news on the Echo site that former Saint Oscar Gobern has moved from Eastleigh to Dover, it reminded me of the 'tackle'/assault he launched on an unfortunate Bompey player back in 2011. And this prompted me to wonder what is the 'best' foul committed by a Saints player others have seen? For me, it's Franny leaving John Fashanu in a crumpled heap in the early 90's (I think). Any other suggestions to while away the summer boredom? Surely Mark Dennis must have an entry or ten?

For your entertainment, here are links for you to re-live Oscar and Franny's fine entries into the debate...

Gobern:

Benali:

We played QPR or Fulham away (can’t remember which - was definitely Loftus Road) and I remember seeing a ball played over the top, as soon as Olli Lancashire started to move, I, and the rest of the stadium, knew he was going to sythe down the winger. A minute later he had, and 1min 1sec later the ref(who presumably had seen what we had) duly sent him off. It was like watching a train or cruise ship - no hope of changing course !!

Seeing the news on the Echo site that former Saint Oscar Gobern has moved from Eastleigh to Dover, it reminded me of the 'tackle'/assault he launched on an unfortunate Bompey player back in 2011. And this prompted me to wonder what is the 'best' foul committed by a Saints player others have seen? For me, it's Franny leaving John Fashanu in a crumpled heap in the early 90's (I think). Any other suggestions to while away the summer boredom? Surely Mark Dennis must have an entry or ten?

For your entertainment, here are links for you to re-live Oscar and Franny's fine entries into the debate...

Gobern:

Benali:

I watched him several times last season and he has completely lost it very poor player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Van Gobbel on Cantona right on the stroke of half time in front of the Archers Road fans was pretty tasty. Ref blew up to avoid blood shed. But the Frannie tackle was the outright winner for me - I love the way he pleads innocence.

John Mcgrath v George Best , Best , after the series of "tackles" , picked the ball up and offered it to John . If you want it that much here it is !!!

Also MotD showing the rugby tackle by er O'Neil (as mentioned below !)

Edited by East Kent Saint
name change

Not a foul as such but Romeu's tackle on Henderson where they both went sliding into the hoardings Ori bounced back up and pulled his shorts back down while Henderson lay in a crumpled heap !

I guess Neil Ruddock's head butt on Craig Short' date=' then of Notts County is worthy of mention too?[/quote']

Probably the best run up for a foul as well. Think he sprinted (and he didn't do that very often) from in his own half to their penalty area to headbutt the bloke.

John McGrath on [. .]

Fill in the blanks.

Headbutted the back of Alun Evans head v Liverpool at the Dell c 1970. Legendary.

Alun Evans was a blonde ponce but from this Shankly coined the phrase Alehouse footballers.

Several candidates for best foul must have been committed that season, Jimmy Gabriel, Hugh Fisher and Brian O'Neil amongst the contenders I'm sure.

Headbutted the back of Alun Evans head v Liverpool at the Dell c 1970. Legendary.

Alun Evans was a blonde ponce but from this Shankly coined the phrase Alehouse footballers.

Several candidates for best foul must have been committed that season, Jimmy Gabriel, Hugh Fisher and Brian O'Neil amongst the contenders I'm sure.

I seem to remember Jimmy Gabriel being involved in a challenge that left both him and his opponent flat on the ground (at Leeds?) As he was being carried off on a stretcher, the ref informed him he was being sent off (no red cards were waved in those days).

So many, but two that stand out from seeing in the flesh are Golac laying out Alan Gowling at the Dell after he’d picked on little Austin Hayes and Benali’s Chuck Norris karate kick on Nick Barmby at White Hart Lane - like Ruddock v Notts County he covered a lot of ground in the run up to that one. Text book.

I am sure it was Saint's v Villa , Jimmy Case had the ball and the Villa player was kicking at his heels after a few minutes Jimmy had had enough and turned around and kick the bloke up in the air. For which Jim got sent off.

Tahar el Khalej on Dyer.

That one get's my vote :lol: Out of position, beaten fo pace, only one option left and IIRC all in an end of season fixture that had no meaning for either side . Didn't it put Dyer out of the World Cup that summr?

I guess Neil Ruddock's head butt on Craig Short' date=' then of Notts County is worthy of mention too?[/quote']

Remember it well. We had a corner and Ruddock started his run up from his own half and without slowing down planted a head butt on Craig Short stood on his own goal line.

What I can't remember clearly was the outcome, I guess not technically a foul as the ball was dead waiting for the corner, but I have a vague memory of his long run continuing without pause straight down the tunnel without waiting for the ref to send him off.

Frannie kicking Fashanu in the head as Fash was jumping for the ball at Plough Lane.

Think it was John Motson commentating came out with the line, "that tackle was so high he needed an oxygen mask!" Still my favourite ever bit of commentary!