Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 239

Thread: VAR seems to be a mistake

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
    Clear example of perspective ****ing things up.
    If the yellow line was parallel with the 6 yard box line he's offside.
    If the yellow line was parallel with the 18 yard line he's miles onside.
    As it is the yellow line they've used shows them dead level.

    If in doubt benefit should always go with the attacker
    You’re quite right but of course the yellow line is in fact parallel to both the goal line and the 18-yard line. The offside law was never intended or designed to be used with technology. It is a vague law with a lot of latitude and was only introduced originally to prevent goal-hanging. In my view anything within a foot or two is fair game. Fortunately these days we don’t have sequential-scan cameras because they can introduce an offset between the too and bottom of the screen.

    I agree with you, in my days of running the line if you had to think about it then you played on. The game needs a rapid and clear decision or else the whole tempo is smothered.

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    No it isn't.

    That's like saying Kevin Friend or Lee Mason are arguments against having a referee.

    They are good referees. Just because you don’t agree with their decisions doesn’t change that.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Was NI now Shropshire..!
    Posts
    8,070

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    VAR has just turned the Womens World cup into a bit of a farce, French missed a penalty (Var awarded) then blew the whistle again awarded a retake of the penalty because VAR had spotted that the goal keeper had stepped off her line before the ball had been kicked by milliseconds........and she also got booked for stepping off her line by a centimetre.
    We are going to see some funny stuff with this VAR if the rules are applied as they have been in this game where the goalie only just left her line, we could be seeing a few goalies sent off if they commit that crime in a game. you will need a good second goalie because if the shenanigans of flicking the ball at a defenders arm to gain a penalty we are going to see a few more this season and no doubt a few keepers totting up yellows as a result and incurring the 5-10-15 card bans.
    It's getting ridiculous, micro analysm of decisions. Fairly soon there will be nothing to talk about after the game because it will have been played in laboratory conditions. A sad day when we loose the phrase "Never a pen in a million years..." it's coming.

    BBC News - Women's World Cup: Nigeria 0-1 France
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48667034

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    It's getting ridiculous, micro analysm of decisions. Fairly soon there will be nothing to talk about after the game because it will have been played in laboratory conditions. A sad day when we loose the phrase "Never a pen in a million years..." it's coming.

    BBC News - Women's World Cup: Nigeria 0-1 France
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48667034

    Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk
    That is disgusting tbh.

    I was for VAR but seeing that and other poor decisions has cast serious doubt for me.
    Last edited by Saint Billy; 18-06-2019 at 08:54 AM.

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    That is disgusting tbh.

    I was for VAR but seeing that and other poor decisions has cast serious doubt for me.
    Big team bias? There was clearly French encroachment on the retaken spot kick. No VAR looking at that then ?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    That is disgusting tbh.

    I was for VAR but seeing that and other poor decisions has cast serious doubt for me.
    I don't see a problem with any of that personally.

    Supposing we change those faces around a bit. Saints are France, Liverpool are Nigeria, that's at the Kop End and the defender sent off is Lovren. With no VAR that penalty isn't given and Lovren isn't sent off. Two minutes later, he goes up the other end and scores the winner from a corner and Saints lose 1-0. We'd all be absolutely fuming that we were robbed of a game we should have won but the officials bottled it at Anfield again.

    As for the retake, that seems fair enough to me too. I think some of you are falling for the puppy dog eyes, 'what have I done!?' face, players always seem to pull in these situations. She knew exactly what she was doing, she shuffled forward a good foot off her line before the kick was taken. It's not as if the 'keeper didn't know this rule.

    I'm all in favour of VAR officials coming down hard early on. Maybe we will see games with eight penalties given for shirt pulling; so what? The players will soon learn to stop and the game will be all the better for it.

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
    Big team bias? There was clearly French encroachment on the retaken spot kick. No VAR looking at that then ?

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    The new rule seems nuts to me. Treats goalie behaviour with heavyhanded minutae whilst ignoring other petty rule breaking and allowing the striker to do whatever they want in their run up. Hardly like penalties with biased in favour of keepers previously.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I don't see a problem with any of that personally.

    Supposing we change those faces around a bit. Saints are France, Liverpool are Nigeria, that's at the Kop End and the defender sent off is Lovren. With no VAR that penalty isn't given and Lovren isn't sent off. Two minutes later, he goes up the other end and scores the winner from a corner and Saints lose 1-0. We'd all be absolutely fuming that we were robbed of a game we should have won but the officials bottled it at Anfield again.

    As for the retake, that seems fair enough to me too. I think some of you are falling for the puppy dog eyes, 'what have I done!?' face, players always seem to pull in these situations. She knew exactly what she was doing, she shuffled forward a good foot off her line before the kick was taken. It's not as if the 'keeper didn't know this rule.

    I'm all in favour of VAR officials coming down hard early on. Maybe we will see games with eight penalties given for shirt pulling; so what? The players will soon learn to stop and the game will be all the better for it.
    I think the original VAR decision to give the penalty was spot on (no pun intended!) and when used like that I think it will be overall beneficial in the PL next season. It was a clear foul and the ref didn't have a good enough view of it to give it, so VAR got it right.

    As for the retake though, I worried about this when it was announced that this was part of the rule changes for this season. It's actually very difficult for a keeper to resist the instinct to step forward and narrow the angle, because that's what they are coached to do in normal play. In the scenario last night, the Nigerian keeper gained no advantage from stepping off her line. The kicker missed the target and the keeper being a few inches off her line at the moment her boot connected with the ball had no influence on that whatsoever. To then get a yellow card for it due to VAR is ridiculous IMO. If this is going to happen every time there is a pen in the PL next season then it will ruin a lot of games.

    If a keeper saves a penalty and VAR shows that they stepped off their line then fair enough, order the pen to be retaken and leave it at that. To start dishing out yellow cards for it is senseless.

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    I think the original VAR decision to give the penalty was spot on (no pun intended!) and when used like that I think it will be overall beneficial in the PL next season. It was a clear foul and the ref didn't have a good enough view of it to give it, so VAR got it right.

    As for the retake though, I worried about this when it was announced that this was part of the rule changes for this season. It's actually very difficult for a keeper to resist the instinct to step forward and narrow the angle, because that's what they are coached to do in normal play. In the scenario last night, the Nigerian keeper gained no advantage from stepping off her line. The kicker missed the target and the keeper being a few inches off her line at the moment her boot connected with the ball had no influence on that whatsoever. To then get a yellow card for it due to VAR is ridiculous IMO. If this is going to happen every time there is a pen in the PL next season then it will ruin a lot of games.

    If a keeper saves a penalty and VAR shows that they stepped off their line then fair enough, order the pen to be retaken and leave it at that. To start dishing out yellow cards for it is senseless.
    The bit in bold is where I disagree with quite a few people. You're right but what you're basically saying is that they are being trained to cheat in order to gain an advantage. Until now they've largely gotten away with it. It has always been the rule, so it's hardly as if players are going to be caught by surprise. The difference is now it's going to be enforced and the onus is on coaches to make sure their 'keepers are compliant in preseason.

    The French player could well argue that the Nigerian 'keeper put her off by stepping forward and covering more of the goal. She then missed the target trying to get the ball into a gap which wasn't there. The Nigerian keeper will argue she just missed the target and it's just tit for tat. All you can say for certain is the 'keeper broke the rule, so IMO the kick should be retaken if it's not scored.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    7,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    The bit in bold is where I disagree with quite a few people. You're right but what you're basically saying is that they are being trained to cheat in order to gain an advantage. Until now they've largely gotten away with it. It has always been the rule, so it's hardly as if players are going to be caught by surprise. The difference is now it's going to be enforced and the onus is on coaches to make sure their 'keepers are compliant in preseason.

    The French player could well argue that the Nigerian 'keeper put her off by stepping forward and covering more of the goal. She then missed the target trying to get the ball into a gap which wasn't there. The Nigerian keeper will argue she just missed the target and it's just tit for tat. All you can say for certain is the 'keeper broke the rule, so IMO the kick should be retaken if it's not scored.
    On you're first point, I'm not trying to suggest that keepers are being trained to cheat. I'm just pointing out that when a keeper dives to make a save during open play, their instinct is to step forward slightly rather than diving exactly 90 degrees from their starting position. So to stop themselves from doing so at a penalty is not as simple as people might think.

    As for the suggestion that the penalty taker may have been put off by the step off the line, I have to disagree in last night's case. From the POV of the taker there's no way she can tell if the keeper is actually on her line or not. She had already decided which way to go and had begun her backswing, and in the split second between the keeper moving and her boot connecting with the ball, there is pretty much zero chance that had any influence on whether she hit the target or not. All in my opinion of course.

  11. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    The bit in bold is where I disagree with quite a few people. You're right but what you're basically saying is that they are being trained to cheat in order to gain an advantage. Until now they've largely gotten away with it. It has always been the rule, so it's hardly as if players are going to be caught by surprise. The difference is now it's going to be enforced and the onus is on coaches to make sure their 'keepers are compliant in preseason.

    The French player could well argue that the Nigerian 'keeper put her off by stepping forward and covering more of the goal. She then missed the target trying to get the ball into a gap which wasn't there. The Nigerian keeper will argue she just missed the target and it's just tit for tat. All you can say for certain is the 'keeper broke the rule, so IMO the kick should be retaken if it's not scored.
    There was encrochment on the 2nd penalty. That's breaking the rule too so why not the same result.
    Looking forward to official measuring of all player yardages from direct free kicks with a tape measure before they are taken. Then a review post free kick to check no player edged forward a yard or if they jump did their jump take them forward slightly. With retakes if they did.

  12. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I don't see a problem with any of that personally.

    Supposing we change those faces around a bit. Saints are France, Liverpool are Nigeria, that's at the Kop End and the defender sent off is Lovren. With no VAR that penalty isn't given and Lovren isn't sent off. Two minutes later, he goes up the other end and scores the winner from a corner and Saints lose 1-0. We'd all be absolutely fuming that we were robbed of a game we should have won but the officials bottled it at Anfield again.

    As for the retake, that seems fair enough to me too. I think some of you are falling for the puppy dog eyes, 'what have I done!?' face, players always seem to pull in these situations. She knew exactly what she was doing, she shuffled forward a good foot off her line before the kick was taken. It's not as if the 'keeper didn't know this rule.

    I'm all in favour of VAR officials coming down hard early on. Maybe we will see games with eight penalties given for shirt pulling; so what? The players will soon learn to stop and the game will be all the better for it.
    This. That's what happened at the World Cup in Russia. And we had one of the best tournaments in decades.

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    There was encrochment on the 2nd penalty. That's breaking the rule too so why not the same result.
    Looking forward to official measuring of all player yardages from direct free kicks with a tape measure before they are taken. Then a review post free kick to check no player edged forward a yard or if they jump did their jump take them forward slightly. With retakes if they did.
    For me the best aspect of this fantastic new system will be analysis of foot/sideline juxtaposition at throw ins. A bit like cricket where the first thing they check after a wicket is bowlerís foot position. Any passage of play that ends with a goal and starts with a throw in, no matter how long the gap between those 2 events, should be examined for foul play starting with a check on the throw in takerís foot position at the point of ball release and if that big toe is even fractionally over the line then the goal should quite rightly be chalked off. This stuffís been going on for too long and it has to be stamped out.

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stknowle View Post
    For me the best aspect of this fantastic new system will be analysis of foot/sideline juxtaposition at throw ins. A bit like cricket where the first thing they check after a wicket is bowler’s foot position. Any passage of play that ends with a goal and starts with a throw in, no matter how long the gap between those 2 events, should be examined for foul play starting with a check on the throw in taker’s foot position at the point of ball release and if that big toe is even fractionally over the line then the goal should quite rightly be chalked off. This stuff’s been going on for too long and it has to be stamped out.
    Also most crucially was the throw in taken from the exact spot the ball went out of play.

  15. #65

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    There was encrochment on the 2nd penalty. That's breaking the rule too so why not the same result.
    Looking forward to official measuring of all player yardages from direct free kicks with a tape measure before they are taken. Then a review post free kick to check no player edged forward a yard or if they jump did their jump take them forward slightly. With retakes if they did.
    Yep, should have been retaken again. Everyone does it because it never gets punished.

    VAR is like putting a speed camera on a 30 road where everyone normally does 45 because they just do. The first couple of days will be speeding tickets galore; after that everyone soon learns. That's what the start of the season will be like, if you're still giving away 5 penalties a games after that then more fool you.

  16. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Yep, should have been retaken again. Everyone does it because it never gets punished.

    VAR is like putting a speed camera on a 30 road where everyone normally does 45 because they just do. The first couple of days will be speeding tickets galore; after that everyone soon learns. That's what the start of the season will be like, if you're still giving away 5 penalties a games after that then more fool you.

    Using your speed camera analogy it’s like doing someone for going 31 in a 30 but ignoring people going 40 in a 30 everywhere.
    If you were same standard to the entire pitch the game would grind to a crawl. Personally I think the tolerance is needed where being hyper strict just ends up with laughable double standards where they end up turning a blind eye to multiple other tranfressions.

  17. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stknowle View Post
    For me the best aspect of this fantastic new system will be analysis of foot/sideline juxtaposition at throw ins. A bit like cricket where the first thing they check after a wicket is bowler’s foot position. Any passage of play that ends with a goal and starts with a throw in, no matter how long the gap between those 2 events, should be examined for foul play starting with a check on the throw in taker’s foot position at the point of ball release and if that big toe is even fractionally over the line then the goal should quite rightly be chalked off. This stuff’s been going on for too long and it has to be stamped out.
    The big toe can be over the line, nothing wrong with that. As long as some part of the foot is touching the white stuff then it’s a legal throw. Even if it’s only the back of a heel and the rest of the foot is well into the green it’s ok.

    Law 15: “Must have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchline”

  18. #68

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    Using your speed camera analogy it’s like doing someone for going 31 in a 30 but ignoring people going 40 in a 30 everywhere.
    If you were same standard to the entire pitch the game would grind to a crawl. Personally I think the tolerance is needed where being hyper strict just ends up with laughable double standards where they end up turning a blind eye to multiple other tranfressions.
    To further expand on the analogy, it's more like penalising someone for doing 31 in a 30 outside a school or busy pedestrian area, but ignoring someone doing 40 in a 30 on some disused industrial estate.

    VAR wont be perfect, far from it, but it will make the game better IMO. Give it a few games, diving and shirt pulling will be almost dead.

  19. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    With VAR and the new clarification/interpretation of handball it seems to me it's time to start considering different degrees of penalty.

    At the moment

    Scenario 1 Player running through on goal unopposed rounds keeper and is deliberately pulled down from behind by keeper just as he is about to roll ball into empty net.

    Scenario2. Player attempts a cross from the side edge of the penalty box, into a crowded area. It's 50:50 whether a forward or a defender will get to that cross first, and even if a forward gets to the ball first no guarantee he will score from it. VAR spots a minor unintentional but definite deflection of the cross by a defender's extended arm whilst trying to stop the cross out on the edge of the area.

    At the moment both result in the same reward/punishment for the attacking/defending sides.

    Not sure how to improve it though. "Normal" penalty for Scenario 1, normal direct free kick inside the area for Scenario 2? Maybe a MSL style penalty run on goal from 35 yards as an option?

  20. #70

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    gutter
    Posts
    13,997

    Default

    One thing I know, my fantasy team will be full of 10 penalty takers, and one great penalty saver.

  21. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    The big toe can be over the line, nothing wrong with that. As long as some part of the foot is touching the white stuff then itís a legal throw. Even if itís only the back of a heel and the rest of the foot is well into the green itís ok.

    Law 15: ďMust have part of each foot on the touchline or on the ground outside the touchlineĒ
    Fair enough Whitey.

  22. #72

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    5,279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
    Clear example of perspective ****ing things up.
    If the yellow line was parallel with the 6 yard box line he's offside.
    If the yellow line was parallel with the 18 yard line he's miles onside.
    As it is the yellow line they've used shows them dead level.

    If in doubt benefit should always go with the attacker
    What are you on about? Never heard of perspective?

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stknowle View Post
    Fair enough Whitey.
    You’re most welcome. It’s some time since I blew my own whistle (no s******ing there at the back) and they keep changing the laws and the official international of them but thro ins haven’t changed for a while. It’s a bit of a strange one because the white lines are considered to be part of the area that they surround so that would make the touch line part of the main field of play and you’d think that the thrower would not be allowed to tread on it.

  24. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Billy View Post
    That is disgusting tbh.

    I was for VAR but seeing that and other poor decisions has cast serious doubt for me.

    Worse than disgusting. It’s almost as though the VAR refs are doing it to make a point. It’s not even completely clear that the goalkeeper is ahead of the line when the first penalty is taken. It could be that her left heel is in line with the goal line which would make her position legal.

    All this rubbish is destroying the beautiful game. When you think of all the great goals that have ever been scored there isn’t one penalty amongst them.

  25. Default

    Another ludicrous penalty retake. ****ing nonsense. What a mess this new rule is.

  26. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Another ludicrous penalty retake. ****ing nonsense. What a mess this new rule is.
    A rule designed by someone who has no understanding of goalkeeping.

  27. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    A rule designed by someone who has no understanding of goalkeeping.
    It’s a total farce. They took 5 minutes to decide if it was a penalty and then 10 seconds to say she didn’t have one foot on the line. We didn’t see any close ups (on TSN anyway) but it looked like her save was legit anyway. It is very unlikely a keeper saves a retake due to being so preoccupied with not encroaching again. This is worrying and a great way to make corruption a bit easier.

    Scotland balked up a comfortable lead but they didn’t deserve that, and they certainly didn’t deserve the ref blowing forvfull time even though they took ages to decide on the penalty.

  28. #78

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,430
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The real issue here is that due to the dates, the finals of the World Cup are being played to a different set of laws/rules to those played throughout the qualifying tournament. On top of that the players and officials have had no opportunity to get used to the new regulations and coach to the new (controversial) rules. VAR is not actually the issue here. FIFA have made an enormous cockup. Booking the keeper as well for this infringement is just madness as well, so do it twice and you are off.

  29. #79

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    I was there when Pancake went mad. 15/04/2010.
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    The real issue here is that due to the dates, the finals of the World Cup are being played to a different set of laws/rules to those played throughout the qualifying tournament. On top of that the players and officials have had no opportunity to get used to the new regulations and coach to the new (controversial) rules. VAR is not actually the issue here. FIFA have made an enormous cockup. Booking the keeper as well for this infringement is just madness as well, so do it twice and you are off.
    Looking forward to it being enforced during penalty shoot outs in the knock out stage.

    The last bit of the Scotland game is about the only bit of the world cup I have watched so far. I am all in favour of VAR, but the way its being used is ridiculous. Absolutely no idea what the ref was thinking blowing the final whistle either...

  30. #80

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Absolutely crazy. Overall this farce took EIGHT minutes, and the ref only added FOUR extra mins too! It will ruin the game, next EPL season is going to be SO frustrating (especially if you play ManUre, Liverhampton, etc!!)

  31. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jawillwill View Post
    Looking forward to it being enforced during penalty shoot outs in the knock out stage.
    A keeper will almost certainly get sent off.

    “To the viewers still with us, the scheduled episode of star trek will take place at a later date....it’s 2-2 in this shootout, the game started 3 hours ago and we are waiting on the VAR decision. Oh dear, a retake and red for the English goalkeeper, I say goalkeeper, this is the 2nd outfielder who has had to step in...oh and another delay for them to repaint the goal line, it’s getting a lot of action...stay tuned!”.

  32. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    A keeper will almost certainly get sent off.

    “To the viewers still with us, the scheduled episode of star trek will take place at a later date....it’s 2-2 in this shootout, the game started 3 hours ago and we are waiting on the VAR decision. Oh dear, a retake and red for the English goalkeeper, I say goalkeeper, this is the 2nd outfielder who has had to step in...oh and another delay for them to repaint the goal line, it’s getting a lot of action...stay tuned!”.
    If the argentine woman had of been meaner on the 2nd she could have stuttered at the end of her run up and the Scottish keeper would have been sent off for wandering off her line in a confused daze. As it was it was mighty close.

  33. #83

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,909

    Default

    Say what you like; if Saints were Argentina, Scotland were Man Utd and there was no VAR, you would all be fuming that penalty wasn’t given. It needs to streamlined but that was the right decision, as was the retake.

  34. #84

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,170
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Say what you like; if Saints were Argentina, Scotland were Man Utd and there was no VAR, you would all be fuming that penalty wasnít given. It needs to streamlined but that was the right decision, as was the retake.
    I understand that it's correct, my problem is the amount of time it takes to come to a decision. Completely and utterly ruins a large portion of the game and fundamentally changes what you are watching.

  35. #85

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I understand that it's correct, my problem is the amount of time it takes to come to a decision. Completely and utterly ruins a large portion of the game and fundamentally changes what you are watching.
    VAR right now is like a new signing, it's going to take a few games of patience before we start expecting too much.

    If there was a system which we could implement straight away, which worked faultlessly 100% of the time, it would have been done years ago. We don't but this is better than nothing.

  36. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    It’s a total farce. They took 5 minutes to decide if it was a penalty and then 10 seconds to say she didn’t have one foot on the line. We didn’t see any close ups (on TSN anyway) but it looked like her save was legit anyway. It is very unlikely a keeper saves a retake due to being so preoccupied with not encroaching again. This is worrying and a great way to make corruption a bit easier.

    Scotland balked up a comfortable lead but they didn’t deserve that, and they certainly didn’t deserve the ref blowing forvfull time even though they took ages to decide on the penalty.

    Yeah to me spending 5 minutes reviewing whether there was a toe end or the exact position of a hand damages the game. I can’t really see it getting quicker in those instances. Equally we see other similar incidents that don’t even get to the review stage.

    If they really wanted to muck about with 5he keeper rule they would have been better suited encorporating the convention of allowing the keeper a certain latitude to move from the line rather than enforcing this unreasonable Strict crackdown to an issue the vast majority were unconcerned with.

  37. #87

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,170
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    VAR right now is like a new signing, it's going to take a few games of patience before we start expecting too much.

    If there was a system which we could implement straight away, which worked faultlessly 100% of the time, it would have been done years ago. We don't but this is better than nothing.
    I'm not sure it is better than nothing when you're waiting almost ten minutes for decisions. You have more faith in the people running football than I do. If they can make a decision within thirty seconds that doesn't disrupt the game then I think I'd be in favour but otherwise it becomes almost like watching a different game and it's going to ruin the spectacle for a number of people.

  38. #88

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,170
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baird of the land View Post
    Yeah to me spending 5 minutes reviewing whether there was a toe end or the exact position of a hand damages the game. I canít really see it getting quicker in those instances. Equally we see other similar incidents that donít even get to the review stage.

    If they really wanted to muck about with 5he keeper rule they would have been better suited encorporating the convention of allowing the keeper a certain latitude to move from the line rather than enforcing this unreasonable Strict crackdown to an issue the vast majority were unconcerned with.
    I was under the impression that VAR would overturn the decision of a referee when it was clear and obvious that something was wrong. If its clear and obvious then it should be no more than thirty seconds to check, if there is any sort of ambiguity then the original decision stands. It really should be that simple.

  39. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I was under the impression that VAR would overturn the decision of a referee when it was clear and obvious that something was wrong. If its clear and obvious then it should be no more than thirty seconds to check, if there is any sort of ambiguity then the original decision stands. It really should be that simple.
    It should be and if strict guidelines are set for officials to follow it could well be. The problems will arise if it’s left open to interpretation then all the inconsistencies we get now will remain. These first few weeks will be fascinating and I’m sure, as usual, we will be one of the first teams to be **** on.

  40. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    Say what you like; if Saints were Argentina, Scotland were Man Utd and there was no VAR, you would all be fuming that penalty wasnít given. It needs to streamlined but that was the right decision, as was the retake.
    I'm not as certain as you that it should have been a penalty. The defenders right leg might have come into contact with the back of the attacker's leg but was it enough to send her flying? This is the problem with TV, you can't judge the strength of any small touches.

  41. #91

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    1,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    What are you on about? Never heard of perspective?
    Errrr.. bearing in mind the word was used in the first sentence and the whole post was about it then I think it's safe to say yes, I've heard of perspective.

    As I'm sure you're aware it's the whole reason the 18 yard line appears to slope up towards the top right and the 6 yard and goal line to the top left, towards eventual vanishing point. There's only one place that the yellow line should run at right angles to the touchline and that's dead centre of the width of the picture. And it definitely isn't centre it's roughly 2/3 across it. It would probably only make a tiny difference over the distances involved but when they are seemingly deciding offside/onside by millimetres it's important.

  42. #92

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,170
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    I think a huge problem is that loads of these borderline calls are still being argued about after VAR has made the decision. This shows that it isn't removing doubts from these decisions. Ensure that the referee's original decision stands in all case except the ones where it is a clear error and it will improve things immensely.

    Oh and make sure there are instant bookings for any player doing a VAR box gesture with their hands every time there is a decision they want checking.

  43. #93

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    I'm not as certain as you that it should have been a penalty. The defenders right leg might have come into contact with the back of the attacker's leg but was it enough to send her flying? This is the problem with TV, you can't judge the strength of any small touches.
    It was quite blatantly a penalty.

  44. #94

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gloucester
    Posts
    487

    Default

    VAR is sh*t. I would rather have the wrong decisions, the controversy and the standard big club bias instead of this cr*p.

    Next season is going to be chaos, especially in the first few months.

  45. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I think a huge problem is that loads of these borderline calls are still being argued about after VAR has made the decision. This shows that it isn't removing doubts from these decisions. Ensure that the referee's original decision stands in all case except the ones where it is a clear error and it will improve things immensely.

    Oh and make sure there are instant bookings for any player doing a VAR box gesture with their hands every time there is a decision they want checking.
    I'm very anti VAR but Also the whole added delay of the referee on the ground having to go view the incident is idiotic. If you are going to have some idiot in the sky reviewing an incident. Just have them the power to make the call.

  46. #96

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,145

    Default

    They're taking it too var.

  47. #97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    It was quite blatantly a penalty.
    No it wasn't. The referee didn't think so. The forward was hardly touched,if at all, and was lunging forward trying to reach the ball.

    What VAR now means is that every game will have several penalties and every penalty is going to be scored even if it has to be retaken several times. It distorts the whole purpose and balance and tempo of the game.

  48. #98

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Salisbury
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    No it wasn't. The referee didn't think so. The forward was hardly touched,if at all, and was lunging forward trying to reach the ball.

    What VAR now means is that every game will have several penalties and every penalty is going to be scored even if it has to be retaken several times. It distorts the whole purpose and balance and tempo of the game.
    VAR not to be used to check if keeper moves off line in Premier next season

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852

  49. #99

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    29,170
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oldsarum View Post
    VAR not to be used to check if keeper moves off line in Premier next season

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852
    Well that's something at least.

  50. #100

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Hidden behind enemy lines
    Posts
    10,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    No it wasn't. The referee didn't think so. The forward was hardly touched,if at all, and was lunging forward trying to reach the ball.

    What VAR now means is that every game will have several penalties and every penalty is going to be scored even if it has to be retaken several times. It distorts the whole purpose and balance and tempo of the game.
    We are talking about the same incident right? 1:10 It's an absolute stone waller.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrOuS48v_M8

    The rules of the game haven't changed, there just wont be any getting away with incidents which should have been. At the risk of incurring the feminist wrath, I'm going to suggest the standard of football and officiating is far higher in the Premier League than the women's WC. As such we will see fewer incidents like this taking forever to sort out. VAR worked pretty well last year in the men's WC, I think after a few games it will probably be alright.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •