VAR seems to be a mistake

East Kent Saint

Let's just get rid of offside then?

More goals (maybe *) and a whole lot of worry off of the lino (sorry assistant).

* my wife used to play a high standard of hockey - ditched offside there and it didn't result in massive goal hanging.

It's the rules that are carp,

The whole issue of using VAR for offside is pure madness. The offside law was never intended to be to penalise minute infringements, it was designed to stop what we used to call goal hanging, and the tactics that used to be employed to overcome it. It is only the re ent obsession with deciding if a player is half a millimetre offside or not that has resulted in VAR being employed. It should be perfe tly reasonable for a referee and lino to make a judgement unaided as to whether a player has gained a serious advantage or not without the need for technology. In most cases where the call is close the benefit should be given to the attacking player. People have simply lost sight of the reason for offside law. I think this is what Whitey was getting at, generally I reckon he is spot on with his assessment of the ridiculousness of VAR in this context.

kind of agree with the sentiment here tbh.

perhaps we should leave a margin for error (like Cricket does with umpires call?), or in a way where any offside that isn't clear at first sight should just be accepted- when we start having conversations about whether the arm is offside/scenario where the head is offside by 2mm etc then i think it gets ridiculous...

when VAR should be used is when it is clear and obvious... e.g. Gabbiadini's goal against Utd in league cup final. So, the lino should always let play go on when offside becomes fractional- he should only flag when it is, perhaps 1 yard or more clearly offside for example!

The whole issue of using VAR for offside is pure madness. The offside law was never intended to be to penalise minute infringements, it was designed to stop what we used to call goal hanging, and the tactics that used to be employed to overcome it. It is only the re ent obsession with deciding if a player is half a millimetre offside or not that has resulted in VAR being employed. It should be perfe tly reasonable for a referee and lino to make a judgement unaided as to whether a player has gained a serious advantage or not without the need for technology. In most cases where the call is close the benefit should be given to the attacking player. People have simply lost sight of the reason for offside law. I think this is what Whitey was getting at, generally I reckon he is spot on with his assessment of the ridiculousness of VAR in this context.
Thanks, you have expressed it clearer than me.

Let's just get rid of offside then?

More goals (maybe *) and a whole lot of worry off of the lino (sorry assistant).

* my wife used to play a high standard of hockey - ditched offside there and it didn't result in massive goal hanging.

It's the rules that are carp,

Agreed, let's scrap the offside rule all together. Also the handball rule.

Two WWC matches in a row with not a single interruption for VAR ( both had at least 2 incidents that would have been referred earlier in the tournament).

Has FIFA been reading this thread and sent out an unofficial edict to stop ****ing about with it ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

England just got an equalizer ruled out. Ridiculous really. They need to run it like ice hockey. If the video replay isn’t clear then the original decision stands. Was not clear that she handled the ball, so goal should have stood.

Just now the ref blew her whistle late while a free kick was in the air, everyone stopped and the ref just continued like nothing happened. What a ****show!

England just got an equalizer ruled out. Ridiculous really. They need to run it like ice hockey. If the video replay isn’t clear then the original decision stands. Was not clear that she handled the ball, so goal should have stood.

Just now the ref blew her whistle late while a free kick was in the air, everyone stopped and the ref just continued like nothing happened. What a ****show!

It was a perfectly good goal. VAR is a shambles

It's not as if Sweden were appealing for handball. Nobody on the pitch saw anything wrong, not even the ref, who had a clear view of it. It needed umpteen slow motion replays for her to decide to overturn the goal, which is hardly 'clear and obvious'.

Edited by badgerx16

It's not as if Sweden were appealing for handball. Nobody on the pitch saw anything wrong, not even the ref, who had a clear view of it. It needed umpteen slow motion replays for her to decide to overturn the goal, which is hardly 'clear and obvious'.

I saw it on TV, the video refs must have seen it as well. Clearly used her arm to control the ball.

I saw it on TV, the video refs must have seen it as well. Clearly used her arm to control the ball.

But the referee, with a clear view, saw nothing untoward, and none of the Swedish team complained either. It seems as if there is no longer any concept of 'ball to hand' or accidental contact.

But the referee, with a clear view, saw nothing untoward, and none of the Swedish team complained either. It seems as if there is no longer any concept of 'ball to hand' or accidental contact.

There was nothing accidental about it, she used her arm to control the ball. Then again you might not have the same images on Sky as those they have on Canal + As for the ref seeing or not seeing, well that's why they have 3 or 4 video refs seeing different things from different angles isn't it. Oh and one of the Swedish girls immediately pointed to her arm, probably what tipped the video refs off.

VAR is not a machine. It just a other referee with a worse view of the alleged incident.

Nah, if it's Canal + imagery they have about 6 or 7 camera positions, they're pretty used to VAR imagery as they do the rugby here. Sometimes you see the same action from a lot of different angles.

Nah, if it's Canal + imagery they have about 6 or 7 camera positions, they're pretty used to VAR imagery as they do the rugby here. Sometimes you see the same action from a lot of different angles.
If it's a TV screen it's a worse view than seeing it live. It's a different view, but it's not the real thing.

Anyway, if somebody has to wade through 6 or 7 recordings it's going to take all day.

Discussion over breakfast regarding the White handball - VAR obviously called it then were so uncertain that they referred it back to the Ref for a final decision? Being a cynical old Hector, it was 33°c in Nice for the game what’s to say the ref just went “do I really want another half an hour out here in this heat?!”.

One thing is for certain it’s going to be an interesting season coming up!

VAR isn't the problem, its how it is used - it will take time but the pace of the game means the refs need help. We've been on the receiving end of bad or none decisions plenty of times so I'm pretty relaxed about it. They've found how to use it effectively in rugby and cricket and I'm sure the premier league will be leading the way after a full season of use.

I'm sure the hysterical dinosaurs will be looking for the first chance to used words like 'shambles' and 'disgraceful'.....until we clearly benefit from a VAR decision. It will be very interesting to see how it impacts the top 6.

As I said it's the quality of refereeing you should be questioning.
But the same standard of referee is looking at the VAR.

Just because you don't agree with a decision doesn't mean that the referee is bad.

There is also the problem that all the referees seem to have invented new interpretations of the Laws.

With the new Premier League season coming up, it remains to be seen whether VAR will ruin the competition as it has this Womens World Cup.

I am hopeful that the standard of refereeing (I know) will win through.

With the new Premier League season coming up, it remains to be seen whether VAR will ruin the competition as it has this Womens World Cup.

Bear in mind that VAR has already been used in the top leagues in Germany and Italy for a season and I don't think those competitions were ruined.

I think VAR will be over used because referees will start to not make match changing decisions knowing that VAR will correct it. Eg not giving pens/ handballs etc. we look forward to a season of waiting around whilst sky (I mean var ref) decide what happens next.

I think VAR will be over used because referees will start to not make match changing decisions knowing that VAR will correct it. Eg not giving pens/ handballs etc. we look forward to a season of waiting around whilst sky (I mean var ref) decide what happens next.

I think so too. It affects the regulation of the game during its progress. Assistant referees have been told to keep their flags down knowing that VAR can be introduced later as happened with Raheem Sterling in the Champions League semi-final against Tottenham. In any normal game the linesman would hav put his flag up the instant that Sterling receievd the ball and all the wild celebrations and subsequent disappointment would never have happened. We don't know how much this would have affected Manchester City but a quicker restart with the momentum of the game on their side might very well have led to a valid goal for them.

Cricjet suffers from a similar distortion. Umpires now don't bother checking the bowler's front foot over the crease because they know that any wicket could be overturned on review. This means that the bowlers are no longer being warned if they start overtstepping the line.

Cricket suffers from a similar distortion. Umpires now don't bother checking the bowler's front foot over the crease because they know that any wicket could be overturned on review. This means that the bowlers are no longer being warned if they start overtstepping the line.

Which effectively removes the front foot no-ball rule from the laws and penalises the batting side.

One thing that does intrigue me a little with this whole VAR thing is where are they getting the people from to man the 'VAR Stations'? How many do they need, at least 4 I believe? It's difficult to get 4 decent 'on field' officials for a game in the Prem, where on earth are we suddenly getting twice as many qualified, good officials from to man these VAR Stations?

One thing that does intrigue me a little with this whole VAR thing is where are they getting the people from to man the 'VAR Stations'? How many do they need, at least 4 I believe? It's difficult to get 4 decent 'on field' officials for a game in the Prem, where on earth are we suddenly getting twice as many qualified, good officials from to man these VAR Stations?

The FA have been training VAR teams for the last two seasons I believe, practising on real PL games.

It's going to take a few more seasons for VAR to get to a more polished level, but overall I can't see how it's not a good thing for the game, especially for smaller teams like us. We'd very likely have a trophy in our cabinet if we had VAR at the cup final a couple of years ago.

The FA have been training VAR teams for the last two seasons I believe, practising on real PL games.

It's going to take a few more seasons for VAR to get to a more polished level, but overall I can't see how it's not a good thing for the game, especially for smaller teams like us. We'd very likely have a trophy in our cabinet if we had VAR at the cup final a couple of years ago.

That cup final is often quoted as an example where VAR would have produced a different result but even using the most basic logic we would have ended with a draw after 90 minutes. There were many other incidents in that game where VSR might have gone against us.

We lost because our defence was not good enough. We made a game of it but with Stephens in the back four and to some extent Forster in goal we were always up against the odds.

Had that first goal been allowed in the subsequent course of the game would have been quite different.