Two Down Three To Go ( Remaining Transfers)

ally_uk

So with the arrivals of Adams and Djenepo What players and positions would you realistically be looking at strengthening next.

Ralph mentioned previously he wanted at least five new faces in. Who do you want in then boys to complete the window?

A cb probably next priority. Ideally someone bids for Stephens first.

Lots of questions beyond that in terms of if get bids for players on fringe of xi/shift completely unwanted

if someone like lemina is moved on we’d need a center mid

If boufal is off we might need another wide option in Ralph’s preferred 4222

At full back the question is does Ralph like Ramsay/Vokins given we do move Cedric/targett on

For keeper if we somehow sell both Forster/McCarthy is Lewis considered backup quality.

My choices would be CB, RB and DM. Upamecano, Maehle and Cyprien. Job done, win the league. Jarrod Bowen as an extra would be a bonus.

Good call on Bowen from Hull ,he would be a great addition too got 22 goals (same a Adams) and was Hulls top scorer in the Championship last season, he's young only 22 (this fits Ralph's brief) and would be a cheaper bet than buying abroad which is always a lottery (as we have discovered), we just gotta get rid of Chaz, Gallagher and Carrillo or maybe even Long first, but more than happy Che Adams is more or less a done deal, just hope we have some good Defensive targets in mind too

Good call on Bowen from Hull ,he would be a great addition too got 22 goals (same a Adams) and was Hulls top scorer in the Championship last season, he's young only 22 (this fits Ralph's brief) and would be a cheaper bet than buying abroad which is always a lottery (as we have discovered), we just gotta get rid of Chaz, Gallagher and Carrillo or maybe even Long first, but more than happy Che Adams is more or less a done deal, just hope we have some good Defensive targets in mind too

Bowen would be amazing, last year of his contract I believe but has a lot of suitors. Maybe worth a look if he's still available once we get our CB & fullback.

Why would you want to give the ball back to the opposition?

It doesn’t have to. There are times when you’ve just got to clear the current danger and if we have forwards who are alive to it then it puts pressure back on the opposition further up the field. If it becomes obvious that aerial balls are not getting them anywhere then they stop doing them. Not only that, when you have someone like Stephens who won’t head the ball then the opposition will stick some big lump up against hi.

‘A commanding centre half’ is what I want, I suppose.

Perhaps I should have said ‘capable of clearing the ball past the halfway line’.

It doesn’t have to. There are times when you’ve just got to clear the current danger and if we have forwards who are alive to it then it puts pressure back on the opposition further up the field. If it becomes obvious that aerial balls are not getting them anywhere then they stop doing them. Not only that, when you have someone like Stephens who won’t head the ball then the opposition will stick some big lump up against hi.

‘A commanding centre half’ is what I want, I suppose.

Perhaps I should have said ‘capable of clearing the ball past the halfway line’.

I actually feel we need the opposite.

Vestergaard and Bednarek are 'clear it' type CBs. Bednarek especially is very good at it.

We need someone who is more composed and better on the ball to play alongside them.

Our ability to pass out well from the back ended when VVD left and there were a few goals we conceded from giving the ball away cheaply in our defensive third.

I would be looking for composure, mobility and ability on the ball over the qualities you describe.

(Obviously its nigh on impossible to find a defender with a mix of everything - basically that is VVD - what a player!)

I actually feel we need the opposite.

Vestergaard and Bednarek are 'clear it' type CBs. Bednarek especially is very good at it.

We need someone who is more composed and better on the ball to play alongside them.

Our ability to pass out well from the back ended when VVD left and there were a few goals we conceded from giving the ball away cheaply in our defensive third.

I would be looking for composure, mobility and ability on the ball over the qualities you describe.

(Obviously its nigh on impossible to find a defender with a mix of everything - basically that is VVD - what a player!)

I agree completely about Bednarek- his first thought is to clear it and most of his forward passes are hit and hopes down the channel for the wingback/attacking mid to chase rather than attempts to pick someone out.

Vestergaard isn't really like that, though. He tends to look for a low pass forward first, he actually has a better pass completion rate than Stephens (although nowhere near as good as Yoshida, probably because most of Yoshida's passes are sideways shuttles between the two wide centre backs). He does hit long passes, but a lot of them are attempts to switch play diagonally. He is also slightly better at dribbling than Stephens (statistically about twice as good, although that's saying very little).

Vestergaard's main problem is that he sprints as if he's giving a sumo wrestler a piggy back.

Sebastian Rode being linked. €5m although he has had his injury problems in recent years. Played at Bayern under Pep, Dortmund and on loan to Frankfurt last season. DM but also versatile and can play at RB. Would be an astute signing IF he can stay fit

I agree completely about Bednarek- his first thought is to clear it and most of his forward passes are hit and hopes down the channel for the wingback/attacking mid to chase rather than attempts to pick someone out.

Vestergaard isn't really like that, though. He tends to look for a low pass forward first, he actually has a better pass completion rate than Stephens (although nowhere near as good as Yoshida, probably because most of Yoshida's passes are sideways shuttles between the two wide centre backs). He does hit long passes, but a lot of them are attempts to switch play diagonally. He is also slightly better at dribbling than Stephens (statistically about twice as good, although that's saying very little).

Vestergaard's main problem is that he sprints as if he's giving a sumo wrestler a piggy back.

Agree with this. Vestergaard is actually very composed on the ball and brings it out well for a big guy. As you mentioned he is very slow hence why he struggles in a 2 as opposed to a 3 at the back. If Ralph is looking at playing 3 different formations next season then I think we need a quicker centre back to play alongside Bednarek.

Sebastian Rode being linked. €5m although he has had his injury problems in recent years. Played at Bayern under Pep, Dortmund and on loan to Frankfurt last season. DM but also versatile and can play at RB. Would be an astute signing IF he can stay fit
Yeah saw that yesterday but discounted him based on his age given Ralph's statement.

Now we’ve gotten Adams over the line it will be interesting to see what links with centre-backs & fullbacks we see appearing.

Unsurprisingly, Wingers & strikers have dominated the rumour mill until now.

If there’s a 5th signing, I’d imagine it would be a defensive midfielder, but wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Now we’ve gotten Adams over the line it will be interesting to see what links with centre-backs & fullbacks we see appearing.

Unsurprisingly, Wingers & strikers have dominated the rumour mill until now.

If there’s a 5th signing, I’d imagine it would be a defensive midfielder, but wouldn’t get my hopes up.

There would need to be if we let Lemina go. Unless Ralph sees Harrison Reed as the back-up/alternative to Hojbjerg and Romeu.

Our need for a proper Wanyama-like DM is hugely underestimated on here, we need one even if Lemina stays (since he isn't a DM obviously). We simply cannot play with only two CBs if Romeu is the one protecting them. If we really are going to play 2 CBs, then for me it is an even bigger priority than a CB.

Our need for a proper Wanyama-like DM is hugely underestimated on here, we need one even if Lemina stays (since he isn't a DM obviously). We simply cannot play with only two CBs if Romeu is the one protecting them. If we really are going to play 2 CBs, then for me it is an even bigger priority than a CB.

Agree. Hope this is on their radar. We leaked far too many goals last season and this was one of the reasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 signings left surely means a CB and a keeper, then one other, perhaps a full back/wing back?

McCarthy will go. Forster will probably get a loan somewhere.

Another keeper, we have 8! Nobody will take on Forster wages so we're stuck with him as no 2 and take money for Mccarthy I'd guess.

Not sure we'll get a CB for similar reasons, but if we can shift more dead wood, ie Hoedt, Cedric, Gallagher, and free up some wages capacity I could see it. We need some pace and height at CB alongside Bednarek.

Been saying it for ages, need a dominant DM to shield the defence, especially if the goal is to play Hasenhuttl’s preferred 4-2-2-2 system. It seems Romeu’s best days are behind him, Harrison Reed is titchy, Hojbjerg is more box to box, Armstrong and JWP play further forward and Slattery is not the answer yet eithe and from what I’ve seen of him is more attacking anyway. Lemina could fill in but is he disciplined enough? It won’t matter if we sell him. A proper DM is very much needed.

I think we will see some Outs now before we get any more ins. Clasie, Gallagher and Austin all seem to be touted with leaving pretty soon, and there are still the futures of Hoedt, Carrillo, Forster, McCarthy, Cedric, et al still to be sorted. That’s a quite a few million quid to be added to the kitty.

Not sure we'll get a CB for similar reasons, but if we can shift more dead wood, ie Hoedt, Cedric, Gallagher, and free up some wages capacity I could see it. We need some pace and height at CB alongside Bednarek.

So despite the statement from the club via the Torygraph suggesting that we're going for a CB next, you don't think it's likely. Fair enough.

"Their next priority will be signing a centre-back."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/29/southampton-continue-squad-overhaul-15m-arrival-che-adams-17m/

Also, playing Bednarek as one of a pair of central defenders is a pretty bad idea. All you need to do is leave someone close to him and he'll lump the ball away and give up possession. He simply doesn't have the technique to play out from the back.

Even Vestergaard is a marginally better option, as despite having all the pace of a glacial advance during an ice age he can at least control a football and pass.

Yoshida is probably the only defender we have who has the attributes to effectively play in a back four, and he's not precisely the best defender in the league.

So despite the statement from the club via the Torygraph suggesting that we're going for a CB next, you don't think it's likely. Fair enough.

"Their next priority will be signing a centre-back."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/06/29/southampton-continue-squad-overhaul-15m-arrival-che-adams-17m/

Also, playing Bednarek as one of a pair of central defenders is a pretty bad idea. All you need to do is leave someone close to him and he'll lump the ball away and give up possession. He simply doesn't have the technique to play out from the back.

Even Vestergaard is a marginally better option, as despite having all the pace of a glacial advance during an ice age he can at least control a football and pass.

Yoshida is probably the only defender we have who has the attributes to effectively play in a back four, and he's not precisely the best defender in the league.

To answer your question, no I don't think we'll keep adding players in any position before we shift players. I share your concern about our CB's, although I'm more positive about Bednarek but not as positive about Vestergaard who's far too slow imo.

It's unrealistic to think that we'll keep the CB's you mention, plus Stephens, Hoedt, plus the likes of Cedric and add yet more players/wages to the wage bill.

Sure, getting a CB in may be a priority (we need to upgrade, that's obvious), but I don't think we'll get someone decent in addition to the players that we have.

To answer your question, no I don't think we'll keep adding players in any position before we shift players. I share your concern about our CB's, although I'm more positive about Bednarek but not as positive about Vestergaard who's far too slow imo.

It's unrealistic to think that we'll keep the CB's you mention, plus Stephens, Hoedt, plus the likes of Cedric and add yet more players/wages to the wage bill.

Sure, getting a CB in may be a priority (we need to upgrade, that's obvious), but I don't think we'll get someone decent in addition to the players that we have.

I think you're right. I would expect to see 3 or 4 players leave before we sign anybody else. I'm sure they're working hard behinds the scenes to move on the likes of Carillo, Cedric, Hoedt, Stephens, Gallagher, Mo & Austin. Oh, has Classie gone yet? If we can shift all of these payers in the next month then that should give us time to bring in one or two more defenders, which I thing we desperately need. I've a horrible feeling that a lot of these deals won't be done until deadline day and then that puts the pressure on us to make quality signings at the last minute.

I think you're right. I would expect to see 3 or 4 players leave before we sign anybody else. I'm sure they're working hard behinds the scenes to move on the likes of Carillo, Cedric, Hoedt, Stephens, Gallagher, Mo & Austin. Oh, has Classie gone yet? If we can shift all of these payers in the next month then that should give us time to bring in one or two more defenders, which I thing we desperately need. I've a horrible feeling that a lot of these deals won't be done until deadline day and then that puts the pressure on us to make quality signings at the last minute.

He was in photos I saw of the 1st day of training yesterday, so I guess nothing is imminent there.