Pre-Season 2019 Thread

SuperSAINT

Who is playing well for you Micky? Taking into account it's only our 2nd friendly so far

Was there also. Ings looked really sharp, as did Redmond when he came on. Bertrand put a huge shift in. Full backs were both very advanced and linked up well with out attackers but it also left us vulnerable to long balls over the top with the cart horses we had a centre half. Obafemi started well but looked a bit unsure playing out wide. Don't think he is technically good enough to play there. Smallbone was ok without really standing out.

Looked very good going forward at times but problems still at the back. A new CB is an absolute must.

Who is playing well for you Micky? Taking into account it's only our 2nd friendly so far
The simple answer to this is that everybody did ok. The first team players all gave good performances and the fringe players didn't embarrass themselves. That said, I didn't think that any of the youngsters played well enough to stake a real claim. Smallbone was neat and tidy, but I don't think he could dominate and run a game just yet, but definitely one for the future.

I thought both Bertie and Cedric both played well and I wouldn't be disappointed if he stayed. Ings looked sharp and got his goals and PEH also put in a good shift as well.

Generally though, as I said, everybody did ok. I remember this time last year being at the Baseball Ground as we were getting dicked 3 nil to Derby County and as I was coming away I was thinking we are going to struggle, and we duly did. Looking at the game today, taking into account Ralf, new players, Chey, Rom, JWP, Vest, Maya etc. I feel a whole lot more optimistic than I did a year ago.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Some true to form defensive calamities in there as we've come to expect.

Couple of other observations:

What has become of Ralph's previous assistant Rohl ? Were has the other umlaut gone ?

Who on earth sanctioned a grey kit ?

Some true to form defensive calamities in there as we've come to expect.

Couple of other observations:

What has become of Ralph's previous assistant Rohl ? Were has the other umlaut gone ?

Who on earth sanctioned a grey kit ?

Would imagine Rohl is overseeing the China trip

Not really, gets him some game time.

If Cedric is staying, he'll be first choice with a smattering of Valery.

Doubt that, I think Valery has done plenty enough to start the season as first choice.

Not really, gets him some game time.

If Cedric is staying, he'll be first choice with a smattering of Valery.

Valery is surely first choice? Hope nothing going on here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the amount of work that the full backs have to get through, I think we'll see a lot of both next season of we can't ship him.

Agreed. Moving Cedric on seems pointless. Replacing him with better will cost a fortune, and he gives left side cover too.

Agreed. Moving Cedric on seems pointless. Replacing him with better will cost a fortune, and he gives left side cover too.

Agree.

We can move the purchase of a RB down the road for a season. Which, given there are only 19 days left in the window and the need to shift others out along with bringing in a good CB, that would make sense

I know some disagree but I'm really hoping Cedric stays. Unlike some he doesnt seem to be sulking or throwing toys out the pram.

I know some disagree but I'm really hoping Cedric stays. Unlike some he doesnt seem to be sulking or throwing toys out the pram.

Credit to him for that then but it still does't stop him from being a shortarse who is easily beaten in the air at the back post too often.

I'd happily keep Cedric, especially since, as Jeff says, the fullbacks put in a shift in our system. However if we can't ship the likes of Austin and Lemina and selling Cedric is all that stands between us and a decent CB, I'd probably move him on. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and it isn't an either/or.

I'd happily keep Cedric, especially since, as Jeff says, the fullbacks put in a shift in our system. However if we can't ship the likes of Austin and Lemina and selling Cedric is all that stands between us and a decent CB, I'd probably move him on. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and it isn't an either/or.

Yep, agreed.

Cedric is an absolute defensive liability because teams in the Premier target his inability to defend against crosses and tall strikers pull onto him to take advantage. He cost us too many important goals and in any case he was in poor form last season and his crosses hardly ever found a target. Not for me. He is in the same vulnerable category as Stephens and Hoedt. Valery is the future, the more he plays the better he will become.

Cedric is an absolute defensive liability because teams in the Premier target his inability to defend against crosses and tall strikers pull onto him to take advantage. He cost us too many important goals and in any case he was in poor form last season and his crosses hardly ever found a target. Not for me. He is in the same vulnerable category as Stephens and Hoedt. Valery is the future, the more he plays the better he will become.

He's not as much of an issue with a back 3 because he won't have to do as much far post defending, that will usually be the job of the wide centre back.

The CB should know that his Rb and Lb are weak and air and not let them be isolated.

Being strong in the air is not an attribute I want in my fullbacks to have playing the Ralph system.

Cedric, Bertrand, Valery and McQueen are perfect for his system.

Cedric isn’t as bad as people think, he has had his dip of form same time as many of our better players, because of the trash managers we’ve had since Koeman.

The CB should know that his Rb and Lb are weak and air and not let them be isolated.

Being strong in the air is not an attribute I want in my fullbacks to have playing the Ralph system.

Cedric, Bertrand, Valery and McQueen are perfect for his system.

Cedric isn’t as bad as people think, he has had his dip of form same time as many of our better players, because of the trash managers we’ve had since Koeman.

Hopefully, Klarer will solve this problem for us. I'd like to see us buy Dael Fry from Middlesbrough as well. He should be well within our price range. Then we'd have a great centre back pairing for many years to come.

Hopefully, Klarer will solve this problem for us. I'd like to see us buy Dael Fry from Middlesbrough as well. He should be well within our price range. Then we'd have a great centre back pairing for many years to come.

Are we back in League 1 ?

I think this is duplicating the transfer thread. Upamecano is several classes above both of these and would be a fantastic, if unlikely, catch.

Klarer has a long way to go to prove anything and I doubt Fry is better than Stephens.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agree with the others regarding Cedric, would be good to have him for the season and if we stick with the 4-2-2-2 then we will need four good fullbacks. Him getting beaten at the back post in the air is a tactical problem more than a height issue.

He's only a liability if the coach sets up his defence at corners by asking Cedric to do that job. Our useless past coaches were to blame not Cedric.

I think if we get any offers for Cedric we will obviously consider them, but if not and if his attitude is good, which it appears to be then he is a good member of the squad for this season, an experienced PL player and suits the style we play well.

I think Valery will be first choice, but Cedric would represent far, fsr better cover than the likes of Pied or Martina.

I think Bednarek is held in a high regard by Ralph. (And me he will probably move on next season or one after). He also like Yoshidas attitude. Personally I think vestergard will be better this season.

I only think we will get a cb if Jokedt, Clowphens, Lemina or ****in move on, and it a better option is available and not some CB the forum want us to sign cos he has 20 for heading on FM2019

Also made the trip to Preston for my sins. Good performances from Cedric, Bertrand, Redmond and Ings. Hoedt and Stephens will not be featuring, all over the place at times again. A good performance all in all I thought.

Also made the trip to Preston for my sins. Good performances from Cedric, Bertrand, Redmond and Ings. Hoedt and Stephens will not be featuring, all over the place at times again. A good performance all in all I thought.

Jesus don’t tell me you live down south.

Just from the highlights I’m encouraged by the nature of many of or attacks. Getting behind the defence and to the byline, pulling balls back across the face of goal. Of course in the PL it’s going to be harder to do it, but have always thought we should be aiming more for that style - for too long we had wingers on their “opposite” flank whose chief instruction was cut inside and keep possession.

• Fraser Forster

• Jack Bycroft

• Yan Valery

• Oludare Olufunwa

• Maya Yoshida

• Christoph Klarer

• Aaron O'Driscoll

• Thomas O'Connor

• Jake Vokins

• Callum Slattery

• Will Smallbone

• Alex Jankewitz

• Caleb Watts

• Kornelius Hansen

• Josh Sims

• Tyreke Johnson

• Ché Adams

• Shane Long

• Marcus Barnes

• Dan N'Lundulu

Source: https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-07-22/southampton-macau-pre-season-official-squad

• Fraser Forster

• Jack Bycroft

• Yan Valery

• Oludare Olufunwa

• Maya Yoshida

• Christoph Klarer

• Aaron O'Driscoll

• Thomas O'Connor

• Jake Vokins

• Callum Slattery

• Will Smallbone

• Alex Jankewitz

• Caleb Watts

• Kornelius Hansen

• Josh Sims

• Tyreke Johnson

• Ché Adams

• Shane Long

• Marcus Barnes

• Dan N'Lundulu

Source: https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-07-22/southampton-macau-pre-season-official-squad

Wonder if Hesketh is close to sorting out a move.

Also wonder if Adams going is a PR exercise for the chinese audience, showing off the new signing.

Edited by Baird of the land