Pre-Season 2019 Thread

SuperSAINT

Boufal's ball control was different class. We just need his team mates to get more confidence.

I think there's one in that video where Romeu stalls a run where Boufal tees up a fantastic forward pass.

He could be our best player this season.

A couple of young German lads stopped me in the High Street to ask for directions to the stadium. Having given them, we had a short conversation about the relative merits of certain players. Hojbjerg's name came up, him having playing in the German top flight for Bayern Munich, and they said that he had never scored against Koln. I told them that that was about to change today, to much merriment from them.

We made a very promising start to the match, pressing high up the pitch and every player shutting down Koln's options to play out from the back by marking their players across the pitch, forcing them to concede possession either by hurried passes, or hoofing the ball up the pitch. But after the initial energy had declined, we slowly stopped the high press allowing Koln to come back into the game, and they began to spend much more time in our half. Playing three at the back with Bertrand and Valery was fine whenever we played the ball out wide, but with J-WP and Hojbjerg in midfield, we lacked the muscle to command it. The Koln midfield and defence players were strong and began to muscle our players off the ball too often. In the second half, we kept better possession with the introduction of Armstrong and Romeu, and Long is always useful when it comes to getting stuck in when tracking back.

Both new players gave a good showing. Adams looks a good threat up top and Djenepo is raw, but has good pace and an impressive desire to win back the ball when he lost it. Of the players who looked out of favour previously, Boufal impressed, and could be another of those players who Hasenhuttl turns around. Cedric looked solid playing largely on the left. Of the other players, I would always prefer Yoshida to Stephens. Benarek had a good game, Vestergaard was reliable, but we definitely still need another quality CB, with little time remaining to sign one. No problems with any of the others, except in the case of injuries, where we might be a bit light in their replacements, especially in the full back and CB positions.

Ings either desperately needs coaching in how to take a penalty, or to be dropped from taking them. That faltering run followed by the most feeble tap down the middle at waist height could have been saved by any tyro league keeper.

As the final pre-season match, I was expecting to see what would mostly be the first team choice, but as we played better in the second half apart from the first 20 minutes, the match seemed to ask as many questions of the team selection as it answered.

Anyone else find the timing of Ralph’s operation slightly odd?

no.. he'd prepared for the match all week. had access to watch the game and issue instructions via his hospital bed.

the team will likely have a warm down session today and start prep for Burnley on Tuesday.

If the Operation really is minor, he'll be back with the team on Tuesday,

Did Ings and Obafemi pick up knocks?
Don't think so.

Think game time was planned before the match started. And obafemi was given 35 minutes and Ings 45 minutes to make sure Djneppo could have 10 minutes.

Boufal's ball control was different class. We just need his team mates to get more confidence.

I think there's one in that video where Romeu stalls a run where Boufal tees up a fantastic forward pass.

He could be our best player this season.

Agree ...Boufal is a must this season .

Not saying lying its just a bit odd. If its minor, assuming its done privately, why not just wait until Sunday or Monday?

If it was done on Monday that would interrupt preparation for the Burnley game. Better to prepare them for Koln, miss the game and then be ready for the Burnley game training build up.

Not saying lying its just a bit odd. If its minor, assuming its done privately, why not just wait until Sunday or Monday?

Has there ever been a club statement as to what happened to the assistant?

What's the suggestion, that Danny has been handling pre-season at another club ready for Ralph to fly in last minute and take the reins leaving us in the lurch?!

There's nothing to see here. Danny has moved on and Ralph had a gammy leg which he got sorted before the season began. Relax and enjoy the fight for 11th place.

Has there ever been a club statement as to what happened to the assistant?

Just relax he is in the private hospital in Southampton nothing odd no snipers on the hill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think so.

Think game time was planned before the match started. And obafemi was given 35 minutes and Ings 45 minutes to make sure Djneppo could have 10 minutes.

Just as well that our key players weren't on too long because Koln were kicking, pulling, tugging, tripping Saints players throughout the match. So much so that Saints held back from getting too close during the last 20 minutes of the first half, concentrating on intercepting balls rather than making risky tackles. (It was quite surreal and frustrating to watch, and didn't make good entertainment). The highlights were in the beginning of the second half with some slick passing leading to the second goal, and with better defending the job was done. It was a pre-season match of Saints good and bad, and a lot of Koln ugly.

Why risk unnecessary injury in pre-season against a dirty side? The strategy was ok.

Just watched the highlights from the weekend. I really can't stand or understand how it's become the norm that professional players take penalties with these stupid stuttering run-ups designed to make the keeper move first. A penalty is a free shot from 12 yards out with the keeper stuck on his line. Any half decent striker of the ball should be able to beat the keeper in this situation without all that ****!

For me, the way Ings took both his pens betrays a lack of confidence in his own ability to strike the ball cleanly and accurately enough to score from 12 yards. I don't understand why JWP wasn't taking them anyway as he is by far our best penalty taker at present. Hopefully he will be out on duty again for the prem games.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Just watched the highlights from the weekend. I really can't stand or understand how it's become the norm that professional players take penalties with these stupid stuttering run-ups designed to make the keeper move first. A penalty is a free shot from 12 yards out with the keeper stuck on his line. Any half decent striker of the ball should be able to beat the keeper in this situation without all that ****!

For me, the way Ings took both his pens betrays a lack of confidence in his own ability to strike the ball cleanly and accurately enough to score from 12 yards. I don't understand why JWP wasn't taking them anyway as he is by far our best penalty taker at present. Hopefully he will be out on duty again for the prem games.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Interestingly yesterday pen shoot out at wembley, all the pens were taken hard & clean. no ****ing about. i dont remember Ings pens last season being stuttered run ups. i would imagine RH will slap him and tell him to cut that out in future.

Interestingly yesterday pen shoot out at wembley, all the pens were taken hard & clean. no ****ing about. i dont remember Ings pens last season being stuttered run ups. i would imagine RH will slap him and tell him to cut that out in future.

Two of Ings' three PL penalties last year (Brighton home / Huddersfield away) were basically carbon copies of the first Koln penalty; the big stutter/slow down and then wrapping foot round ball to send it bottom left. I wonder if with the second one on Saturday he second guessed himself as the keeper didn't go early and he'd already pulled one bottom left.

With the addition of VAR also this season, penalties are likely to become more frequent, as we saw in the last World Cup and Champions League. Whether, they will be for us, or against us will be another thing... However, we definitely need a secure penalty taker for this season and it's potentially more important this season than ever before. Fortunately, Tadic is no longer an option, but with some clubs now bringing in throw-in coaches, maybe Lambert/Le Tiss can run some drills. Although, their penalties were just about hitting the target and beating the goalkeeper, which should be simple for most professional footballers, they could also advise on the mental state in the build-up, as with VAR there is likely to be a prolonged build-up.