Pre-Season 2019 Thread

SuperSAINT

Alert!!!!! supersaint is excited hahahahha

Gotta be excited after the rubbish we’ve had to endure in recent years. Finally feels like we have a plan.

Is Pilchards installed in his favourite tree at Staplewood to watch the comings and goings? He'll have his phone on silent no doubt so let's hope he checks here.. :-)

Let’s hope so :D

Never again will I be able to watch the training.

They have put a large fence around the woods part so it’s a big no no.

Think it was as a result of Kelvin Davis spotting me and chasing me off into the woods earlier this year.

Think it was as a result of Kelvin Davis spotting me and chasing me off into the woods earlier this year.

Pilchards spotted on his way to defeat the fence, also nice to finally know what Kelvin's job is :D

8.jpg

Get a motorbike, it worked for Steve McQueen......almost!

Surely that's not going to stop you. Not after all your skills learned on HERE

Think some of the European leagues finished after the PL hence additional time for Cedric, Carillo, Hoedt possibly.

Shame that Djenepo will barely get a pre season, so doubt he will be more than a sub option for the first month or so of the season.

We are going to have a cracking squad, Ralph is also rebuilding the board. I’m really looking forward to next season but we should be careful of our expectations. A lot of next season is going to be moulding the squad to the Ralph way.

We are going to have a cracking squad, Ralph is also rebuilding the board. I’m really looking forward to next season but we should be careful of our expectations. A lot of next season is going to be moulding the squad to the Ralph way.

Any other whispers of incomings?

Where's your initiative? Cherry picker? Drone? I do like the thought of Pilchards scuttling away from Kelvin though... But thanks for all your past tidbits..

In other thoughts, there does seem to be a bit more coherence in the signings this year and some idea behind it as to how they'll be used. Shame about Targett but he deserves to play more regularly.

Now for a central defender who is faster than we have already, and that last criterion is, in the circumstances, probably easier to fill!

Think some of the European leagues finished after the PL hence additional time for Cedric, Carillo, Hoedt possibly.

Shame that Djenepo will barely get a pre season, so doubt he will be more than a sub option for the first month or so of the season.

The Hoedster is back. Ditto Clasie & Lemina.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-07-01/gallery-southampton-fc-return-for-pre-season-training

Will be interesting to see who is in the group for the Austria trip.

Will the Intls join?

Which young players will go?

Will the likes of Hoedt, Carrillo, Clasie and Cedric travel?

First indications of the Manager's thinking I reckon. Can't see he will waste time on anyone he doesn't think will have a role to play in the season.

Will be interesting to see who is in the group for the Austria trip.

Will the Intls join?

Which young players will go?

Will the likes of Hoedt, Carrillo, Clasie and Cedric travel?

First indications of the Manager's thinking I reckon. Can't see he will waste time on anyone he doesn't think will have a role to play in the season.

It is an early chance to get a real sense of who’s properly been given the boot & who might have an olive branch.

Who knows, we might take everyone, but Ralph doesn’t seem the type to f*ck around.

The players you mentioned are definitely the ones most at risk of going on the plane to Macau :D

Not alot going on, maybe once the Austria trip is done both staff and players will have choices to make. Think we need to shift some surplus first but it's gonna be hard.

Cheers mate. I think the market has been slow in general.

I think what we will see with us is outgoings on loan towards the end of the window. Hopefully, Ralph might have some players surprise him whilst training in Austria.

My hope (wishful thinking) is that people that don't travel might have moves imminent, but I'd be surprised.

Austria squad confirmed:

Southampton's squad for the pre-season training camp in Austria has been confirmed.

Ralph Hasenhuttl is taking a 26-man group to the Montafon region of Austria today, as the team embarks on the next stage of its preparations for the new Premier League season.

Saints will take part in a week of intensive training before finishing the trip with a friendly against Austrian Bundesliga side SCR Altach on Sunday at 3pm local time (2pm BST).

A small number of the first-team squad will remain at Staplewood Campus this week, continuing a full training programme, before re-joining the rest of squad when they return from Austria.

The squad for the trip to Austria, which includes a number of international players who are returning to the fold, is as follows...

• Angus Gunn

• Alex McCarthy

• Fraser Forster

• Harry Lewis

• Yan Valery

• Cédric

• Maya Yoshida

• Jannik Vestergaard

• Jack Stephens

• Jan Bednarek

• Wesley Hoedt

• Christoph Klarer

• Ryan Bertrand

• Jake Vokins

• Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• Oriol Romeu

• James Ward-Prowse

• Will Smallbone

• Mohamed Elyounoussi

• Josh Sims

• Nathan Redmond

• Shane Long

• Danny Ings

• Che Adams

• Michael Obafemi

• Dan N’Lundulu

Source: https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-07-08/southampton-squad-announcement-austria-pre-season-training-camp-2019

So that means...

- Charlie Austin

- Mario Lemina

- Sam Gallagher

- Jordy Clasie

- Harrison Reed

All left behind.

By my reckoning;

- Ramsay

- Reed

- Clasie

- Lemina

- Slattery

- Armstrong

- Hesketh

- Boufal (AFCON)

- Austin

- Gallagher

- Carrillo

Armstrong has food poisoning.

@AdamBlackmore: #saintsfc Stuart Armstrong not going after suffering food poisoning

Austin, Lemina, Carrillo & Gallagher notable absentees

Slattery also not included - nor are Reed, Hesketh & McQueen

1. Central midfield could do with a signing

2. We have so many average CBs and surely cannot sign another without letting one or two leave (easier said than done).

3. Fullback cover needs addressing

4. Likes of Reed, Hesketh, Gallagher etc clearly have no future so hopefully we can generate a little more cash from them.

Unfortunately, the tone of what I'm hearing is that Ralph is reluctantly having a look at Hoedt and some others, mainly because we have so many CB's already and we are finding it difficult to shift so we can't afford to sign another.

Pretty rubbish situation. My belief is that unless we see significant outgoings in the likes of Cedirc, Hoedt, Carillo, Boufal etc, then we will not see any further incoming.

It's frustrating because that means we go into next season still horrifically short at CB in terms of quality, but this is the pain of assembling such an expensive and rubbish squad over the course or 3 windows. That's why I'm as baffled as anyone as to why Ross is still around, should have been held as accountable as Les.

Surprised by the omission of Slattery but inclusion on Smallbone. I'm guessing that points to a loan for Slattery, unless he has a knock.

I'm not surprised that Ralph is looking at the players we have...nobody else will and it's pretty obvious that we can't keep adding players to a huge squad - there's 26 travelling and 11 staying behind and on any analysis a 1st team squad of 37 is as bloated as Charlie Austin.

Unfortunately, the tone of what I'm hearing is that Ralph is reluctantly having a look at Hoedt and some others, mainly because we have so many CB's already and we are finding it difficult to shift so we can't afford to sign another.

If that was true why didnt the same apply with the two attackers we have signed?

For Hoedt, Cedric, Stephens read Gallagher, Austin, Carillo

Pretty rubbish situation. My belief is that unless we see significant outgoings in the likes of Cedirc, Hoedt, Carillo, Boufal etc, then we will not see any further incoming.

It's frustrating because that means we go into next season still horrifically short at CB in terms of quality, but this is the pain of assembling such an expensive and rubbish squad over the course or 3 windows. That's why I'm as baffled as anyone as to why Ross is still around, should have been held as accountable as Les.

Sorry but I don't believe we won't bring in someone in defence.

Sorry but I don't believe we won't bring in someone in defence.

Agreed - CB is a priority and I'm sure we will get one.

Then with the likes of a CDM, RB, CAM, I think these are 'bonus' positions and we'll need to shift players before we bring anyone in (Cedric, Lemina etc).

Looking at surprising inclusions Smallbone, N'Lundulu and Klarer are interesting. Has Klarer come on more than Alfie Jones, perhaps? Hoedt is another surprise but presumably because we haven't signed a new CB yet whereas Carillo isn't as we have new forwards.

Looking at surprising inclusions Smallbone, N'Lundulu and Klarer are interesting. Has Klarer come on more than Alfie Jones, perhaps? Hoedt is another surprise but presumably because we haven't signed a new CB yet whereas Carillo isn't as we have new forwards.

All those academy lads are worthy inclusions. Happy to see them get a shot.

I’m a little surprised Tyreke Johnson isn’t on the plane.

Klarer is very different to Jones. He's more a head to ball type, whereas Jones more of a sweeper type from what I've seen. That squad has 4 x CM's, one of which is Smallbone, and I think 6 x CB's. I wander if the intention is to take a look at Stephens as 1 of the 2 in front of the back 4.

Re Hoedt, I think it's a bit like Forster - nobody else will have them so why not see if we can use them.