BBC's high earners

OldNick

Fine, if you want to watch it, then pay for it. If you don’t, why should you have to.

I can go to prison for owning a TV and not paying to watch the BBC, even if I don’t watch it or listen to it. In 2019? Really?

You could say the same about half of the tax you pay. If you've never used the fire brigade or been to A&E, why should you pay for them?

It needs everyone to fund it so that it's there for everyone. You may not like it but it's an important part of why we're relatively well balanced and informed as a society. Everyone should have access to news other than the tripe written in the Mail or the Indy, otherwise we will end up like USA.

You could say the same about half of the tax you pay. If you've never used the fire brigade or been to A&E, why should you pay for them?

It needs everyone to fund it so that it's there for everyone. You may not like it but it's an important part of why we're relatively well balanced and informed as a society. Everyone should have access to news other than the tripe written in the Mail or the Indy, otherwise we will end up like USA.

Do you believe ITV national/local news to be balanced?

Are you seriously trying to equate not watching the BBC with not using the fire service or NHS? The NHS and fire service are safety nets, the BBC is a media company.

Who decides whether the BBC is balanced and therefore better for the public than The Mail? You, a quango of top people, MP’s, Government, who exactly decides what content makes us “balanced” and “well informed?”

There’s nothing wrong with being like The USA when it comes to TV and particularly radio. But that’s just my opinion, you may have a different one. But the market should decide, not the state. Why should people go to prison so you can watch East Enders or listen to Dave Merrington blathering on. If enough people like it, they’ll pay a subscription. If they don’t, it’ll need to change and reflect the country enough to be viable. If it’s as good as people make out it’ll have no trouble funding itself without needing a poll tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is channel 4 or itv much less impartial than the BBC? I mean all three of them have a certain amount of bias but I don't think one of them is much worse than another one.

I'm a former supporter of the BBC since I could see clear benefits even a decade ago. Now with the technology available and seeing the BBC eat itself in the way it has, I just don't think you can justify the cost any longer.

Other countries have decent news outlets, they have correspondents that get straight to the heart of the matter and ask probing intelligent questions. All this for a fraction of the price the BBC show ponies get. Look at this guy from Uganda, Paxman eat your heart out.

http://

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It provides....

BBC1

BBC2

BBC4

BBC News

BBC Parliament

BBC Alba

CBBC

Cbeebies

BBC One Northern Ireland

BBC One Scotland

BBC One Wales

BBC Two Northern Ireland

BBC Two Wales

BBC Scotland

All of the above re-broadcast in HD also

BBC One East

East from Norwich

West from Cambridge

BBC One East Midlands

BBC One London

BBC One North East & Cumbria

BBC One North West

BBC One South

BBC One South East

BBC One South West

BBC One West

BBC One West Midlands

BBC One Yorkshire & Lincolnshire

BBC One Yorkshire

BBC Oxford

BBC Channel Islands

BBC World News An International news channel from BBC available worldwide. Partially available in the UK, mainly overnight via BBC News Channel.

BBC Arabic Television Arabic news channel available in the Arab World.

BBC Persian Iranian/Afghan news channel available in Europe, Iran, Afghanistan and Tajikistan.

BBC America United States, a mixture of comedy, drama and lifestyle programming.

BBC Canada Canada, a mixture of comedy, drama and lifestyle programming.

BBC Entertainment Light entertainment programming.

BBC First Comedy and drama programming.

BBC Brit Factual entertainment programming.

BBC Earth Premium factual programming and documentaries.

BBC HD High-definition television channel.

BBC Lifestyle Lifestyle programming.

BBC UKTV Australia, and New Zealand, best of British entertainment programming.

BBC Radio 1

BBC Radio 1Xtra

BBC Radio 2

BBC Radio 3

BBC Radio 4

BBC Radio 4 Extra

BBC Radio 5 Live

BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra

BBC Radio 6 Music

BBC Asian Network

BBC World Service

plus 40-odd local radio stations

is all of the above really necessary?

clearly, NOT

Do you believe ITV national/local news to be balanced?

Is channel 4 or itv much less impartial than the BBC? I mean all three of them have a certain amount of bias but I don't think one of them is much worse than another one.

I'm a former supporter of the BBC since I could see clear benefits even a decade ago. Now with the technology available and seeing the BBC eat itself in the way it has, I just don't think you can justify the cost any longer.

Fair point, I’ve not watched either of their news coverage recently so I can’t really comment. I’m just generally wearing of anyone reporting the news who may or may not have an agenda.

I suspect that a part of the reason that other UK stations do not have a more obvious US-style bias is because of the existence of the BBC's almost centre good standing. Here in the US, most people already know their bias, and select a news channel that represents it. Idiots like my mother in law will choose one, Fox News, and listen to no other. Others will choose one and occasionally visit a rival to test the waters. Some even turn to the BBC to act as an umpire.

Yeah, the BBC has a slight left bias, but that standard never changes as it does with other stations, people trust it and know what they are getting. For any independent UK station to become too biased in either direction would sound too many bells with the public, based on what they are accustomed to hearing. The BBS is a stabalising influence.

I often watch CNN out of habit as it used to do a pretty good job of being fairly unbiased, but now it is left wing alsmost as much is Fox is right wing. I just don't think that a shift like that is too likely in the UK as long as you have the BBC showing the way.

Edited by Ohio Saint

I don't think we need the BBC for that, I just don't think much of the British public would put up with the obvious extreme bias from the likes of fox news and cnn. It's all opinions though and I don't see the BBC going anywhere soon but I don't think news on its own can justify the license fee and I don't think the BBC has done much worthwhile programming that you wouldn't get elsewhere bar wildlife documentaries in the past decade.

I don't think we need the BBC for that, I just don't think much of the British public would put up with the obvious extreme bias from the likes of fox news and cnn. It's all opinions though and I don't see the BBC going anywhere soon but I don't think news on its own can justify the license fee and I don't think the BBC has done much worthwhile programming that you wouldn't get elsewhere bar wildlife documentaries in the past decade.

How much does Sky cost? Googled it. From 22 quid a monthe!!!!

A subscription tv service is outdated. Free view has hundreds of channels and is free bar the licence fee.

Not outdated it is the future of content. Sure schedules will come to pass but they are all vying for on demand subscriptions.