Best Goals By Players Who Rarely Scored?

paulwantsapint

Chris Baird free kick.

If that’s the one v Cardiff - then I don’t think I have seen a ball hit with such ferocity - that said my memory might be peaked by the fact that it looked like we had made a complete hash of the free kick - until Baird lit the fuse.

I quite liked Matty Targetts goal against Bournemouth that was a perfectly executed header.

Yep. Boufal v Sunderland. One of the best goals ever scored at St Mary's was the only highlight of one of the dullest games ever played there.

His goal v West Brom was special too.

He only ever scored 3 league goals and 1 league cup goal for us in 50 games and yet won 2 Goal of the Season awards. That has to be a record.

If that’s the one v Cardiff - then I don’t think I have seen a ball hit with such ferocity - that said my memory might be peaked by the fact that it looked like we had made a complete hash of the free kick - until Baird lit the fuse.

I quite liked Matty Targetts goal against Bournemouth that was a perfectly executed header.

I was sat behind the goal for that one. It was hit so hard that I instinctively tried to duck out of the way of it, despite the net being there! Absolute thunder-b*****d of a shot!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ridiculous goal. Swerved in three different directions at once!

And half the Milton came pouring back in!

Surely we should exclude players for which it wasn’t even their only goal in that match!

Only six goals in his entire career at Saints in over 100 games though means he definitely counts as "didn't score often"

And half the Milton came pouring back in!

Only six goals in his entire career at Saints in over 100 games though means he definitely counts as "didn't score often"

A similar ratio to Boufal, who scored 3 league goals and 1 league cup goal, 2 of which were among the best goals ever scored at St Mary's, in his 56 games for us.

I agree that Cuco Martina should also be in that elite group but was his wonder goal a fluke? Did he just take a swing at the ball and hit lucky? Because he never showed in any other game in his career that he had the skill in his locker to do that deliberately.

Hugh Fisher - my first Saints game and but for him we would not have had our greatest fam.

From wiki:

His greatest moment in a Southampton shirt came in the 1975–76 season. The Saints were having a mediocre season in Division 2, but on 3 January 1976, in an F.A. Cup third round match at the Dell, Saints were 1–0 down against Aston Villa when, in the 89th minute of the game, the ball was crossed into the area by David Peach. The ball was touched on by Pat Earles to Mick Channon and back to Fisher, who shot the ball into the goal through a crowd of defenders. This goal, Fisher's first for 16 months, kept his side in the competition

I can't believe no-one has said it yet! David Hughes scissor kick against QPR around Christmas time in the mid-90s. I remember thinking we'd produced a decent player, but injuries killed his career.

I have this vague memory of Mat Oakley scoring a screamer, of course it could be that the dementia is getting worse.

Didn't he score two from outside the area in a cup replay against Millwall?

Not screamers but both decent, and valuable.

I have a vague recollection of Jimmy Case scoring an absolute belter from distance once, but couldn't tell you who it was against. Would have been 89/90 season I think.

He scored a corker from miles out in a pre season friendly at the dell against a Russian side - Dniper I think - to make it 3-3 after we’d been 3 down.

Vaguely recall a good one from closer in for us at Anfield too.

I have a vague recollection of Jimmy Case scoring an absolute belter from distance once, but couldn't tell you who it was against. Would have been 89/90 season I think.

I lived oop north and saw him score a screamer atScarborough in the league cup. Could that be it?

A similar ratio to Boufal, who scored 3 league goals and 1 league cup goal, 2 of which were among the best goals ever scored at St Mary's, in his 56 games for us.

I agree that Cuco Martina should also be in that elite group but was his wonder goal a fluke? Did he just take a swing at the ball and hit lucky? Because he never showed in any other game in his career that he had the skill in his locker to do that deliberately.

I think great goals by players who rarely score are all flukes by definition! In stark contrast to the many beauties by MLT.

Hugh Fisher - my first Saints game and but for him we would not have had our greatest fam.

From wiki:

His greatest moment in a Southampton shirt came in the 1975–76 season. The Saints were having a mediocre season in Division 2, but on 3 January 1976, in an F.A. Cup third round match at the Dell, Saints were 1–0 down against Aston Villa when, in the 89th minute of the game, the ball was crossed into the area by David Peach. The ball was touched on by Pat Earles to Mick Channon and back to Fisher, who shot the ball into the goal through a crowd of defenders. This goal, Fisher's first for 16 months, kept his side in the competition

His best goal ? Possibly. Certainly his most significant though.