Do we have a problem with 'attitude'?

Unbelievable Jeff

It seems that through the various threads, the attitude of our players seem to be constantly questioned - so far we are looking at:

Bertrand

Forster

Lemina

Boufal

Cedric

Austin

Slattery

Hoedt

Obafemi

Do we have more or less than the average team? If this is the case, I think we need to look more closely into the mental aspect of the game, and only sign those that seem like good characters.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Can someone explain Bertrands "Attitude" to me? I've never seen anything of the sort, and only had a dip in form when we had terrible managers.

I don't agree, and as I've said a number of times I've spent a good amount of time in his company, and he's a cracking lad. However, a lot of others think he has a bad attitude.

What’s Slattery done/said?

Slattery is a complete tit. Everything that’s wrong with a modern day footballer.

A cracking player with a terrible attitude (from what I’ve seen of him outside of the club). He’ll be off as soon as the opportunity arises.

I wondered if it was Obafemi, only because Ralph has publicly criticised his attitude in recent past.

I have to say I agree with a lot of what Qwertyell says: I expected a bit more speed and fitness from Slattery when he played last season. Not entirely ineffective but disappointing given the earlier stories about his potential. Perhaps he believed them too much.

Need to add Obafemi as well...

What's Bertrand done apart from not smile and be black?

Slattery? Who knows what he's done apart from maybe come back overweight, we all make mistakes when we're young, lets see how he reacts

Likewise Obafemi - Ralph has called him out on his personal life, lets see how he reacts this season.

Forster? We gave him a massive contract, what an arsehole for accepting it. Plus rumours of health issues...

Boufal? Frustrated I'm sure, not sure he has a particularly bad attitude - he had a falling out with Hughes, no-one knows what it was about..?

Lemina? Clearly had an agreement that he'd be let go, thinks he's better than he is...though on his day he's one of the best CM's in the league...

Cedric? Just not good enough, don't think I've heard anyone question his attitude

Austin? Bit of a bellend yes, and not good enough to play at this level.

Oh and plus, I'd guess the majority of footballers are "b3llends" which is what happens when you're young and given upwards of £50k per week.

Pay young men millions, glorify them, and you're bound to get some bad attitudes in there. I doubt any club is immune. Having said that, your list is a bit ridiculous. None of them are Balotelli level.

This isn't my opinion, this is just people who have been called out on here for having a bad attitude.

I don't know them on a personal level (apart from Bertie), so can't really judge them.

Is there any club who doesn't have a problem with the attitude of some of the players? Apparently the situation is so bad at clubs like Leicester and Chelsea that only managers who meet the dressing room's approval can be appointed. Books are probably going to be written about the Pogba/ Mourinho/Solskjar dressing room issues at Old Trafford. Puel was as popular as a rat sandwich in his last days at SMS and apparently had problems with the attitude of several of the team

Show me a club that doesn't have a problem with the attitude of some of its players and I will look for a bear who doesn't defecate in the woods.

What's Bertrand done apart from not smile and be black?

Slattery? Who knows what he's done apart from maybe come back overweight, we all make mistakes when we're young, lets see how he reacts

Likewise Obafemi - Ralph has called him out on his personal life, lets see how he reacts this season.

Forster? We gave him a massive contract, what an arsehole for accepting it. Plus rumours of health issues...

Boufal? Frustrated I'm sure, not sure he has a particularly bad attitude - he had a falling out with Hughes, no-one knows what it was about..?

Lemina? Clearly had an agreement that he'd be let go, thinks he's better than he is...though on his day he's one of the best CM's in the league...

Cedric? Just not good enough, don't think I've heard anyone question his attitude

Austin? Bit of a bellend yes, and not good enough to play at this level.

Oh and plus, I'd guess the majority of footballers are "b3llends" which is what happens when you're young and given upwards of £50k per week.

You're right to question some of the players named but:

Boufal - celebrated mockingly in front of his manager after scoring a goal, refused to warm up in another game

Lemina - we've only heard his side of the story - the "promise" received may not have been quite so concrete as he is making out

Cedric - Pretty clear from ITK info that Ralph was unimpressed by his attitude. E.g. spending time on his phone in the treatment room rather than talking to a fellow player. Perhaps there are other things as I can't believe he would have been banished from the squad solely on playing ability

Boufal - celebrated mockingly in front of his manager after scoring a goal, refused to warm up in another game

Lemina - we've only heard his side of the story - the "promise" received may not have been quite so concrete as he is making out

Cedric - Pretty clear from ITK info that Ralph was unimpressed by his attitude. E.g. spending time on his phone in the treatment room rather than talking to a fellow player. Perhaps there are other things as I can't believe he would have been banished from the squad solely on playing ability

Depends how much of a good source the "ITK info" was from? As with any stories, when it's hearsay, it's normally heavily over exaggerated. I might be wrong, but I always take ITK info as a pinch of salt.

Depends how much of a good source the "ITK info" was from? As with any stories, when it's hearsay, it's normally heavily over exaggerated. I might be wrong, but I always take ITK info as a pinch of salt.

I stopped reading after ‘over exaggerated’ [emoji1]

Those accusations aren't always fair, but even if they were I don't think we'd be in worse shape than most clubs. It's partly a consequence of having a big squad without the games to use it. Things turn sour if you're not playing and the team is playing poorly.

I dont think so, most of these things seem minor at best.

Heard far worse for example about the Chelsea squad, how they pretty much down tools for various managers. Lots of issues heard about Man Utd as well.

We have what a few disgruntled players who weren't or aren't because they weren't playing or want moves, a minor phone incident, a couple of young players maybe with not the best off the field lifestyle, and that is about it.

Most of those are also based on rumour as well.

From what we have seen everyone has turned up to training and those who were not with the squad last year like Cedric and Hoedt seem to be integrating well.

Never have got this Bertrand bad attitude thing, always seem passionate about the club, seems a generally happy and amenable guy in interviews and stuff.

What constitutes this "bad attitude"?

I don't actually think many of our players have this.

Just Hoedt really.

Lemina is a sh1t Pogba but apart from Hoedt, don’t think there’s any real bad eggs.

lol how Bertrand gets a load of stick on here for not smiling. And apparently a bad captain cos he team weren’t performing at the time.

Disgraceful:lol:

No, we just haven't been very good for a few seasons. If we were still hovering around 8th in the league, the wealth, attitudes and social media activity of our players would be exactly the same, but no one would care aside from the usual morally dubious suspects.

I actually don't give a flying **** what players do off the pitch.

Train well, play well and they can post on insta and twitter and pose by a Ferrari the rest.

How would most of us act at 25 if we were paid £75k a week? It's a different world and I genuinely don't care how they enjoy it all

I actually don't give a flying **** what players do off the pitch.

Train well, play well and they can post on insta and twitter and pose by a Ferrari the rest.

How would most of us act at 25 if we were paid £75k a week? It's a different world and I genuinely don't care how they enjoy it all

I knew a number of people on £75k per year at 25 - and they were cocks as well.

I know Slattery has caused a couple of problems, once on a night out with Lemina and a couple of other players in a restaurant. A while before that he was in a fight with a few people, he (Slattery) got jealous over a woman and started on someone he knows, then the someone's friends got involved. Apparently he turned up at training next day with a shiner.

Apparently the club fined him. To be fair, he did apologise to the person.

I've not heard anything about Obafemi, what's he done wrong?

I have a problem with the attitude of posters on here. I often think they are so negative towards club and players that they must come from down the road. Players attitude now we have a proper manager seems normal to me

I know Slattery has caused a couple of problems, once on a night out with Lemina and a couple of other players in a restaurant. A while before that he was in a fight with a few people, he (Slattery) got jealous over a woman and started on someone he knows, then the someone's friends got involved. Apparently he turned up at training next day with a shiner.

Apparently the club fined him. To be fair, he did apologise to the person.

I've not heard anything about Obafemi, what's he done wrong?

I’d be careful posting ITK snippets on here mate. It’s not like the old days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only if it's untrue.

It's why I can tell you all about Boris Johnson, although even there it's difficult to find _exactly_ how many kids he's had out of wedlock, but it's a matter of record that he has.

The thing about football players is that they are living in the community and they do get observed by others. Osgood and Steele went to a pub near the university when I was there and certainly drank more than I did! I can't remember which of my friends told me he saw Jimmy Case so **ssed on a night out that he pee'd over a cashpoint. So although some reputations may be unwarranted there will be fans who have seen or heard things first hand.

I haven't so only comment about what I've seen on the pitch. Many years ago I saw a saints reserve side at Havant & Waterlooville, which is quite close to where I live, and they hoiked off one of our players for his attitude - you can hear a lot of what goes on on on the bench in those sort of games. For success you need a bit of attitude, but not the Nile Ranger sort.

The thing about football players is that they are living in the community and they do get observed by others. Osgood and Steele went to a pub near the university when I was there and certainly drank more than I did! I can't remember which of my friends told me he saw Jimmy Case so **ssed on a night out that he pee'd over a cashpoint. So although some reputations may be unwarranted there will be fans who have seen or heard things first hand.

I haven't so only comment about what I've seen on the pitch. Many years ago I saw a saints reserve side at Havant & Waterlooville, which is quite close to where I live, and they hoiked off one of our players for his attitude - you can hear a lot of what goes on on on the bench in those sort of games. For success you need a bit of attitude, but not the Nile Ranger sort.

Was that The Cowherds ?

Interesting comparison in the apparent reputations of players from a different era. In the 1960's/70's/early 80's reputations were of being a p!sshead (Big Ron,Osgood, Steele etc) or a 'jack the lad'/womanisers (Osgood again), or headcases (Dennis springs to mind), nowadays in the era of social media they are seen as egotistical bellends displaying their wealth and lavish lifestyles.

Part of the perception over 'attitudes' is down to the wealth and egos, coupled with indifferent displays which indicate a 'couldn't give two sh!ts' approach as they know they can simply have a sulk and move off somewhere else.

No, can't remember the name now but it was just down the hill from the uni.

I think complaints about attitude mainly relate to lack of professionalism and the 'couldn't give two sh!ts' approach you describe. Having a false view of one's own abilities is the other main driver, I feel.

Only if it's untrue.

It's why I can tell you all about Boris Johnson, although even there it's difficult to find _exactly_ how many kids he's had out of wedlock, but it's a matter of record that he has.

Mentioning Osgood - on a different note, a group of us ended up in a pub near Windsor owned and run by Osgood and another ex-Chelsea player, Ian Hutchinson IIRC? It was 6 of us, and we got there just before 2 pm (closing time in those days). Got one round in, and when I went to get a second, Osgood said sorry mate closing time is 2 pm. I went on the charm offensive and told him he was my favorite ex-Saints player (partly true), and he served us another 5 rounds until 4 pm and even joined us for a couple (said if the old bill turn up say it's a private a party after closing :-). Top bloke - but he said whilst he enjoyed most of his time at Saints and had a fond memory, he was Chelsea first (no real surprise there). Attitude? Not in my books.

With Obafemi - I thought there was something about him, Lemina and Leminas brother burning the candle at both ends but Ralph had a word, put a flea in his ear so hopefully all done and dusted......... seem to get the impression Ralph ain’t going to poke up with any horse poo from anyone in his squad.

Only if it's untrue.

Only a small aspect of a third hand story has to be untrue to be libel though.