Thread: Checkatrade Trophy 2019

Default Checkatrade Trophy 2019

Saints have been drawn against Walsall; Coventry and Forest Green Rovers in this years' Checkatrade Trophy. As someone who lives in Gloucester, I am very happy.

Always wanted to go to Forest Green. Could be an excuse to do it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It's a nice little ground, the food (despite being Vegan) is excellent and the club and fans are incredibly friendly - unless they are playing Cheltenham Town. It is an absolute a*se to get to though! Top of a hill in the middle of a small village. Away fans stand on an open terrace along the side of the pitch opposite the main stand.

Quote Originally Posted by edprice1984 View Post
    It's a nice little ground, the food (despite being Vegan) is excellent and the club and fans are incredibly friendly - unless they are playing Cheltenham Town. It is an absolute a*se to get to though! Top of a hill in the middle of a small village. Away fans stand on an open terrace along the side of the pitch opposite the main stand.
    Must be the smallest town/ village ever to have played in the football league.....

Quote Originally Posted by SW5 SAINT View Post
    Must be the smallest town/ village ever to have played in the football league.....
    Indeed it is - population 5794 - but great draw for me in South Brum. Two reachable by local train and you can park next door to the ground at FGR

Blog Entries

Our youngsters will probably be facing Matt and Joseph Mills as well as Lloyd James. Quite the little reunion

Quote Originally Posted by Village Saint View Post
    Indeed it is - population 5794 - but great draw for me in South Brum. Two reachable by local train and you can park next door to the ground at FGR
    How long you been in Kings Heath Village Saint? Iím only down the road in Redditch nice to know thereís fellow saints in the local area.

Was there for the play-off game against Tranmere. Was a nightmare to get to and park that evening but I think I'm right in saying that was their highest ever attendance for a league game. Should be a lot easier for our visit and while the away terrace is the whole of one side, I suspect it will be like Cambridge and only open the main stand (which is the newest, all-seater and pretty decent). You certainly don't want to park in the centre and walk, it's about a mile and all uphill and pretty steep in places.

I bought my daughter and boyfriend some tickets for FGR as they live football and are vegans.
    I am sure they went by bus from Stroud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else from here going this evening? I will be there with my daughter. Not many opportunities to see Saints play so close to home.

It is no longer the Checkatrade trophy

12. Default

Any streams?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Bates View Post
    Any streams?
    Nailsworth stream is just down the road

................I’ll get my coat!

14. Default

We have 19.4% possession according to my Sky app?!

1-1

Quote Originally Posted by SalisburySaints View Post
    Was there for the play-off game against Tranmere. Was a nightmare to get to and park that evening but I think I'm right in saying that was their highest ever attendance for a league game. Should be a lot easier for our visit and while the away terrace is the whole of one side, I suspect it will be like Cambridge and only open the main stand (which is the newest, all-seater and pretty decent). You certainly don't want to park in the centre and walk, it's about a mile and all uphill and pretty steep in places.
    Wish I had seen this earlier. At least it's all downhill after the match!

2-2 Big Dan equalises

N'Lundulu scores again!

I see it's 2-2. 26% possession!

3-2 down

21. Default

The futures bright. The futures red n white

U23's shipping an enormous amount of goals at the moment, averaging nearly 4 goals a game since the start of the season

They've not been great this season, not fussed about this comp but none of them seem to be pushing for first team call ups.
    We'll be knocked out in the group stage.

Another massive attendance from the best fans in the world tonight.

I really like the look of Dan N'Lundulu. Very strong, great shot, quick feet for a big player. He had to make his own chances though as others around him were not doing so. Some of the other Saints players looked ok in patches but, to echo a comment above I thought Klarer and O'Driscoll were not great. I have nothing really to base this comment on but Klarer looks like he thinks he is much better than he is ! However, they are all very young and I wouldn't write any of them off. FGR is also by far the friendliest ground I have ever visited in 44 years of watching Saints !

Quote Originally Posted by ItchenRob View Post
    I really like the look of Dan N'Lundulu. Very strong, great shot, quick feet for a big player. He had to make his own chances though as others around him were not doing so. Some of the other Saints players looked ok in patches but, to echo a comment above I thought Klarer and O'Driscoll were not great. I have nothing really to base this comment on but Klarer looks like he thinks he is much better than he is ! However, they are all very young and I wouldn't write any of them off. FGR is also by far the friendliest ground I have ever visited in 44 years of watching Saints !
    Yep, N'Lundulu looks a prospect. I'm with you on Klarer. I've seen him several times and don't see what other people claim to see. His positioning, touch and distribution aren't great. I've watched out u21/23/reserves for years and this is not a good crop sadly.

5 out of the 6 under 21 teams lost last night, we were not alone in defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingeletiss View Post
    5 out of the 6 under 21 teams lost last night, we were not alone in defeat.
    I have no interest in other clubs - our u23 team looks poor this season. To be fair to the lads who played last night though, they were all young (16 year olds playing) and a late defeat away to a league club is respectable.

Quote Originally Posted by egg View Post
    I have no interest in other clubs - our u23 team looks poor this season. To be fair to the lads who played last night though, they were all young (16 year olds playing) and a late defeat away to a league club is respectable.
    That's why they are Under 21 teams, not under 23 teams, I may be wrong, but that's how they are portrayed on the fixtures.

Yep, N'Lundulu looks a prospect. I'm with you on Klarer. I've seen him several times and don't see what other people claim to see. His positioning, touch and distribution aren't great. I've watched out u21/23/reserves for years and this is not a good crop sadly.
    I'm in the same boat on Klarer too.
    I actually thought for a moment N'Lundulu might get a spin out one Saturday as at some point in the second half not long before we went down to 10 I just so happened to be looking over to the bench (maybe the ball was thereabouts) and he was sent out alone to warm up and there was an eager spring in his step as he set off. Wouldn't be surprised to see him given a go this side of Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by ItchenRob View Post
    N'Lundulu impressed me last night, never seen him play before. His hold up play was strong and the way he made and took his goal was very impressive. Also gets involved and is not bullied, think he has a lot of potential. Reminds me of Tammy Abraham.

FGR is my local club, quite often go there, really nice club.

Quote Originally Posted by JRM View Post
    They've not been great this season, not fussed about this comp but none of them seem to be pushing for first team call ups.
    We'll be knocked out in the group stage.
    Will be some serious questions about Jaidi's ability, we can do better than this with these kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Will be some serious questions about Jaidi's ability, we can do better than this with these kids.
    We really can't, they're not a good crop of players. Jaidi did well with last years group but he won't get much out of this group.

We really can't, they're not a good crop of players. Jaidi did well with last years group but he won't get much out of this group.
    I don’t think it’s about bringing through a great group, more about bringing through a couple of superstars than can challenge for a first team place.

35. Default

West Ham U21ís came back from 4-1 down to beat Newport 5-4 last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilchards View Post
    I don’t think it’s about bringing through a great group, more about bringing through a couple of superstars than can challenge for a first team place.
    That's always the plan but the teams have to be competitive for the players to improve in game situations. Getting spanked 8-2 at Everton, and losing most games, is not competing and doesn't help the lads kick on.