Fans' Forum round-up - OS Video

SuperSAINT

Great Watch and looks like the club is in good hands the smallish linear board seems to have gelled well with a lot of camaraderie Ralf and Ross both spoke well, their commitment was plain to see and the plans are very sensible and credible for a club of our size

A very worth while exercise with great and and honest communication to the fans and the more direct linkage between the playing staff and the key board members is a real plus

I especially liked the fact the clun no exudes youth and obvious commitment in its board manager and on field players

10 out of 10 for content and effort

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Great watch, augurs well for the season ahead. Target 9th to 14th. Ralf’s favourite player is Kylian Mbappe. There will be more transfers both in and out. Youth investment is key to the future, with more successes like Yan Valery. Gao doesn’t speak much English but is very committed to the club. His daughter Nelly gave a brave speech.

Great watch, augurs well for the season ahead. Target 9th to 14th. Ralf’s favourite player is Kylian Mbappe. There will be more transfers both in and out. Youth investment is key to the future, with more successes like Yan Valery. Gao doesn’t speak much English but is very committed to the club. His daughter Nelly gave a brave speech.

Seems a bit of conflicting story that he doesn't speak much English but whilst attending a meeting he was able to tell Semmens how much the club and area meant to him, and that he'd like to retire here.

Agree it was nice to see Nelly Gao addressing the people there, a brave move in a foreign language.To her credit, this is not something KL has done as she used Ralph Krueger to broadcast her messages.

Seems a bit of conflicting story that he doesn't speak much English but whilst attending a meeting he was able to tell Semmens how much the club and area meant to him, and that he'd like to retire here.

Agree it was nice to see Nelly Gao addressing the people there, a brave move in a foreign language.To her credit, this is not something KL has done as she used Ralph Krueger to broadcast her messages.

There may have been an interpreter involved, perhaps?

A brilliant watch and some very open comments. Keep RH for a long time and Saints will be fine. A clear strategy for moving forward and an honest assessment of where we are in the food chain. Key observations were comments about wages as well as youth.

Some really interesting points, other than the woman who seemed like she had too much to drink and asked "if you had unlimited funds who would you sign".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah idiot question and glad Ralph talked over her when she was following up

Not long before Wee Ross starts doing his own video reviews -even slipped from using “we” to “I” on occasion. Les would be proud.
I've not been shy to give him some stick but thought he came across well there. Very honest and mostly very sensible comments.

Certainly appears they currently have more of a plan than we had in the last couple of years, but there again it wasnt long ago Krueger was saying how Hughes et al 'fit like a glove'.

Also...judging from RH comments about a CB signing and only getting one if they improve us either now or soon in the future and the ones we have been linked with earlier this window like Saliba and Vanhuesden I think we will go for a 19-21yo.

Much better without Krueger, who would give us the rehearsed soundbytes, or even patronise us despite clearly knowing nothing about the game. Also, without Reed, who would often talk about Champions League football and pushing us onto the next level, despite clearly not having the set-up, or infrastructure to do so.

This did seem very honest. Admitted they made mistakes, didn't have a solid plan, which we all probably knew, as we could see it, but many clubs in this day wouldn't admit that and we've obviously all seen the club in the worse state when the owners have tried to play blind (to the fans) regarding the club's issues.

We're going to remain a club which develops players and then moves them on to the bigger clubs. This time though, it's imperative that we keep the man in the dug-outs. Losing Koeman pushed us backwards massively and almost cost us our league status. We struck gold with Adkins, Poch and then Koeman, but yeah, I don't think we'll be taking Hassenhuttl for granted after the last three.

Gao's here for the long-term "apparently", but it was mentioned that we're "not a club flushed with money". Manchester City were cited, but obviously none of us are expecting us to compete on that level. However, when recently promoted sides such as Wolves, Fulham (ha) and Aston Villa are outspending us, while Bournemouth have also done for a few windows now it is a bit disheartening and there is a fear we could be left behind and that Gao isn't the long-term answer for the club. We just need the plan and the money to come together at the club, so that we aren't spending £20m on Carrillo, but rather like we did in League One and the Championship when we were the big spenders and were able to sign the best, or better players in each division like Lambert, Hammond, Fonte, Sharp, etc which ended up very well for us.

I was encouraged to hear that Gao fell in love with the area 10 years ago, then thought if that were true he would have probably learnt more than "about 10 words of English". Seems there's a bit of embellishing going on with regards to his motivation.

Well, Pilchards does Staplewood, we've got someone at Soton Airport, but can't remember who was on Yacht Watch..

On the language front you can often understand a lot more than you are able to say; anyone remember Pochettino using an interpreter when he perfectly understood the question? I'd give a bit o leeway there, particular for such a different language as Chinese (whichever variety they speak).

Interesting fact, at the beginning. Mr Goa first came to Southampton 10 years ago, by Sunseeker.....now correct me if I'm wrong, were we not supposed to be checking these boats? who was responsible for that on here?

So, the whole Paul Allen yacht saga was just a smokescreen for the eventual arrival of Mr Gao? Bloody knew it. All makes sense now.

Interesting fact, at the beginning. Mr Goa first came to Southampton 10 years ago, by Sunseeker.....now correct me if I'm wrong, were we not supposed to be checking these boats? who was responsible for that on here?

Pretty sure he said Goa first came to Southampton 'to buy a Sunseeker' and not 'by Sunseeker' but I get your drift and the point still stands. :smug:

I agree, a very good watch. Whilst there was no Earth shattering news in there, it was good to see the honesty about where they had gone wrong previously and what they are doing to address this. I thought they all came across very well, speaking in a down to earth way and not at condescending as some previous board members had done.

As for the immediate future, confirmed what was obvious in the fact that we need to shift out far more players than we will bring in; but it was nice to hear that they are planning to bring a CB whether Hoedt is moved on or not.

I thought the story was he came here to buy a Sunseeker.

Bit unfair to blame whoever was on Yach****ch duties. They probably spotted him although mistook him for Dalian Wanda, hence that rumour began...

Yeah, smells like bull to me. When he did the interview with that chap for a Chinese blog he didn't say anything about falling in love with the area or wanting to retire here. He said he'd noticed that some wealthy people were getting their money out of the country and into the UK so thought he'd better do the same.

Edited by benjii

Yeah, smells like bull to me. When he did the interview with that chap for a Chinese blog he didn't say anything about falling in love with the area or wanting to retire here. He said he'd noticed that some wealthy people were getting their money out of the country and into the UK so thought he'd better do the same.

He did write a blog a few years ago (before he bought the club) in which he waxed lyrical about the charms of Poole. And he hadn’t even met Lord Duckhunter.

A brilliant watch and some very open comments. Keep RH for a long time and Saints will be fine. A clear strategy for moving forward and an honest assessment of where we are in the food chain. Key observations were comments about wages as well as youth.

Do you really think that will happen? How long is the average duration of a PL manager at any club? And when was the last time we had a manager complete 3 full seasons with us? (answer it was Chris Nicholl).

It's highly likely that this season will be the only full season that RH spends here.

Do you really think that will happen? How long is the average duration of a PL manager at any club? And when was the last time we had a manager complete 3 full seasons with us? (answer it was Chris Nicholl).

It's highly likely that this season will be the only full season that RH spends here.

For once I'm not so sure. That answer he gave to the stupid question about who would he sign if he had unlimited funds - "Kylian Mbappé five years ago" - just strikes me that we no have a someone who actually sees himself in charge of a long term project and not one of the usual journeyman/stepping-stone/in-it-for-the-money types.

Much as I thought MoPo and RK were great, I never felt they were anything other than here till they're offered something better comes along type appointments. No doubt it's a bit of wishful thinking but I really get the feel that RH and SFC are the perfect match and he's here for the long haul.

Was encouraging although I find the Solent bloke not great. Waffles too much.

Me too. Especially in the company of sharper minds (as here) he comes over as an amiable buffoon. He is also quite hopeless at describing the action at football matches in a way that listeners can actually visualise what is happening on the field which after all is what his job is.

Adam lovers will be buzzing around me like wasps to a jamjar.

Interesting fact, at the beginning. Mr Goa first came to Southampton 10 years ago, BY Sunseeker.....now correct me if I'm wrong, were we not supposed to be checking these boats? who was responsible for that on here?

I thought that was mis-speak, what he meant was that he came to Southampton when Sunseeker were bought by (him) the Chinese.

Chinese conglomerate Dalian Wanda Group has owned the company since 2013.

Like the majority on here, I took a good deal of positivity from the forum.

It seems that Chaiman Gao may be here for the long(ish) term and it is interesting that he is in talks with the Council about some property developments which hopefully will be good for the club and city.

Like the majority on here, I took a good deal of positivity from the forum.

It seems that Chaiman Gao may be here for the long(ish) term and it is interesting that he is in talks with the Council about some property developments which hopefully will be good for the club and city.

Another thing that annoyed the hell out of me - shortly after they mentioned the meeting with Southampton city council regarding land development, Blackmore asked the floor if there were anymore questions for the boardroom level. Perfect opportunity to ask what the meeting was about, what the ideas are for development, how likely they are etc but nobody said a damn thing.

yes I was very impressed with him.

We've all sighed at fans forums over the years, full of daft questions, evasive patronising replies and the uncomfortable don't want to be here presence of the managers, but this was so different. I have never seen a manager so apparently at ease with all that's around him. Ralph is obviously part of the hierarchy and the communication channels at the top look really fluid. Even impressed that Nelly made the effort despite her English is not really that good yet. I am the first to criticise the way the club is being run, but watching that was a real boost. Lessons have been learnt I think.

We've all sighed at fans forums over the years, full of daft questions, evasive patronising replies and the uncomfortable don't want to be here presence of the managers, but this was so different. I have never seen a manager so apparently at ease with all that's around him. Ralph is obviously part of the hierarchy and the communication channels at the top look really fluid. Even impressed that Nelly made the effort despite her English is not really that good yet. I am the first to criticise the way the club is being run, but watching that was a real boost. Lessons have been learnt I think.

Totally agree. The whole thing felt really positive - aside from the weird bint asking about fantasy football.

For once I'm not so sure. That answer he gave to the stupid question about who would he sign if he had unlimited funds - "Kylian Mbappé five years ago" - just strikes me that we no have a someone who actually sees himself in charge of a long term project and not one of the usual journeyman/stepping-stone/in-it-for-the-money types.

Much as I thought MoPo and RK were great, I never felt they were anything other than here till they're offered something better comes along type appointments. No doubt it's a bit of wishful thinking but I really get the feel that RH and SFC are the perfect match and he's here for the long haul.

Honestly it depends on two factors really, firstly depends on the season we have and secondly (obviously of course), depends on how the top clubs fare too of course.

I can only see City and Arsenal as staying put with their managers atm for certain.

I also think Klopp will deffo continue at Pool but read rumours about how he was ready for a break so they may see Ralph as the perfect replacement, same goes for Spurs where Poch may feel like he has reached as high as he possibly can and wants change of scenery.

Chelsea have perhaps entered unchartered territory with Lamps and United with OGS- we saw how that ended last season and may do so next.

Bayern Munich might also come sniffing- and I think all of the above certainly will sniff if we get to 55points plus