Jo Swinson (and the Death of the Liberal Party)

Tamesaint

Jo Swinson will be a success for the LibDems as she took over the party at the right time. Due to the horrific anti semitism within the Labour party many traditional Labour voters will switch to the the Libdems. It all depends where her positive momentum takes them as a party and whether they can build on it long term.

wrong. her messaage is consistent - she believes we should brexit regardless of the outcome of a second referendum. That is not the same as saying we will brexit regardless of the outcome of a second referendum.

Pony.

Tuesday she stated she would not respect the result of any second referendum & would not vote to implement the result if leave won again. Sunday she said she would “absolutely” respect the result and would vote for Brexit if leave won again.

Consistent?

I don’t think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pony.

Tuesday she stated she would not respect the result of any second referendum & would not vote to implement the result if leave won again. Sunday she said she would “absolutely” respect the result and would vote for Brexit if leave won again.

Consistent?

I don’t think so.

you missed a bigger error than that in my post :-)

but anyway - she didn't say she'd vote for it in the second interview either, she said she would honour it. she'd still believe it was the wrong thing to do, and I would expect her to still vote against it. she'll never vote for brexit.

you missed a bigger error than that in my post :-)

but anyway - she didn't say she'd vote for it in the second interview either, she said she would honour it. she'd still believe it was the wrong thing to do, and I would expect her to still vote against it. she'll never vote for brexit.

How is voting against Brexit , honouring a Brexit win in a referendum. That doesn’t make sense. It’s like Remain winning and Boris honouring that win by taking us out of the EU. Is the heat getting to you?

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

• 2 weeks later...

So Wollaston has now joined, she’ll fit in perfectly. Sponsored a bill demanding MP’s hold by-election if they join another party, got out of that one by claiming she was an independent. Now joined another party but won’t hold by-election because “effectively I’d be increasing the Government majority “. Have these hypocrites no shame. Oh for the days when honourable men like Carswell & Reckless went back to the people.

Whose now left in Cringe UK, Sloshedbry & her rabbit Harvey?

So Wollaston has now joined, she’ll fit in perfectly. Sponsored a bill demanding MP’s hold by-election if they join another party, got out of that one by claiming she was an independent. Now joined another party but won’t hold by-election because “effectively I’d be increasing the Government majority “. Have these hypocrites no shame. Oh for the days when honourable men like Carswell & Reckless went back to the people.

Whose now left in Cringe UK, Sloshedbry & her rabbit Harvey?

Don't normally agree with you on much (except monarchy and Gaston Ramirez) but I do agree with you there - the moral thing to do would be to hold a by-election. Morally speaking, I also think Boris should hold a general election though (and no I'm not saying they're the same thing).

• 1 month later...

So another Tory has jumped ship and joined the LibDems. Whilst it gives me a lot of pleasure watching the rats leave a sinking ship, I do feel that when MPs decide to change parties there should be a by-election. The people voted for him as a Tory candidate and should be allowed to decided whether they still want him as a LibDem or whether they want another Tory.

So another Tory has jumped ship and joined the LibDems. Whilst it gives me a lot of pleasure watching the rats leave a sinking ship, I do feel that when MPs decide to change parties there should be a by-election. The people voted for him as a Tory candidate and should be allowed to decided whether they still want him as a LibDem or whether they want another Tory.

In a GE you vote for a candidate, not a party or a leader.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Situ sat ions change. People change their minds. Boris Johnson for example used to be in favour of remain. We know more than we did 3 years ago and what is important is that we know exactly what we are voting for in the next election. At the moment the LibDems are the only major party to come clean on their current EU policy.

While this is factually correct, it's fair to say that a large number of voters only actually vote for the party and don't care who is wearing the rosette.

Yep, that is why you can get some really bad political candidates as MPs. My MP doesn’t live in the constituency and has always voted with the government. Hasn’t represented views of constituents for either education (lowest funded) or Brexit (remain).

Talking about votes in parliament, hasn’t Swinson got a bad record considering her liberal stance?

At the moment the LibDems are the only major party to come clean on their current EU policy.

Pony, it’s complete and utter pony.

Their policy is if they form a majority Government they’ll revoke. There’s more chance of me going to the moon in a shoe box than them winning a majority. They know full well that they won’t be revoking, because they’ll never win a majority. Coming clean would be stating what their red lines are to enter into a coalition in the event of a hung parliament. This is just cynical political posturing, a bit like signing a pledge not to raise tuition fees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Their policy is if they form a majority Government they’ll revoke. There’s more chance of me going to the moon in a shoe box than them winning a majority. They know full well that they won’t be revoking, because they’ll never win a majority. Coming clean would be stating what their red lines are to enter into a coalition in the event of a hung parliament. This is just cynical political posturing, a bit like signing a pledge not to raise tuition fees.

What a load of ******, they are doing nothing different to any other party in stating what they stand for and what they would do if they got into power.

What a load of ******, they are doing nothing different to any other party in stating what they stand for and what they would do if they got into power.

Pony. If it’s what “they stand for”, they’d commit to it being their policy in any coalition. Like tuition fees, it’s a policy they’ll ditch given half a chance.

Swinson paid tribute to that old dog Ashdown today. Wonder what he’d make of their new policy. Mind you as one of the biggest hypocrites of the past 30 years, he’d probably approve.

http://

And yet the bloke you voted into power has been squeaky clean. The only “pony” we have to deal with is the constant horse sh*t being served up by the idiot PM we are currently stuck with. They may not win, but if they do they will do so on the back of the promise to revoke. I know we don’t believe anything coming out of Johnson’s mouth, but I believe the LibDems.

Pony. If it’s what “they stand for”, they’d commit to it being their policy in any coalition. Like tuition fees, it’s a policy they’ll ditch given half a chance.

Swinson paid tribute to that old dog Ashdown today. Wonder what he’d make of their new policy. Mind you as one of the biggest hypocrites of the past 30 years, he’d probably approve.

What political party pitches their general election manifesto on their likely coalition stance?! The lib dems have adopted a clear position which will attract votes.

Aside of brexit, the obvious need for change to the political landscape after recent chaos, and the shift further right of the tories and further left of labour, there is room for growth for a centre ish party. That plus the clear message that a vote for lib dems is a remain vote, I think its unwise to under estimate what may happen in the event of an election. That said, the dual lib dem and brexit party threat is not lost on Boris, and the knowledge that he could nullify their threat by exiting on 31/10 with no deal may actually make their threat an academic one.

G

They don’t need to win a majority. They just need to be kingmakers, and since there is every chance of a hung parliament that’s what they’ll be. No formal coalition but demand revocation as the price for their votes on other issues. The Tories and labour would probably be glad of being given a way out of the Brexit balls in a vice

G

They don’t need to win a majority. They just need to be kingmakers, and since there is every chance of a hung parliament that’s what they’ll be. No formal coalition but demand revocation as the price for their votes on other issues. The Tories and labour would probably be glad of being given a way out of the Brexit balls in a vice

G

They don’t need to win a majority. They just need to be kingmakers, and since there is every chance of a hung parliament that’s they’ll be. No formal coalition but demand revocation as the price for their votes on other issues. The Tories and labour would probably be glad of being given a way out of the Brexit balls in a vice

And yet the bloke you voted into power has been squeaky clean. The only “pony” we have to deal with is the constant horse sh*t being served up by the idiot PM we are currently stuck with. They may not win, but if they do they will do so on the back of the promise to revoke. I know we don’t believe anything coming out of Johnson’s mouth, but I believe the LibDems.

Perhaps you or one of Swinsons other fan boys can answer this.

Her policy is that people know what Lib Dem policy on Brexit is, therefore voting Lib/Dem gives them the mandate to revoke A50. How does this square with her Scottish policy, which is to refuse another independence vote even if SNP win a majority in the election . The Jocks clearly know the SNP policy is for a second vote, so surely that’s a mandate to have one. Why would a party with Democrat in their name, refuse the Sweaties the second vote they clearly voted for.

I wonder why a party leader who needs Unionist votes to win her constituency is inconsistent over this.

Perhaps you or one of Swinsons other fan boys can answer this.

Her policy is that people know what Lib Dem policy on Brexit is, therefore voting Lib/Dem gives them the mandate to revoke A50. How does this square with her Scottish policy, which is to refuse another independence vote even if SNP win a majority in the election . The Jocks clearly know the SNP policy is for a second vote, so surely that’s a mandate to have one. Why would a party with Democrat in their name, refuse the Sweaties the second vote they clearly voted for.

I wonder why a party leader who needs Unionist votes to win her constituency is inconsistent over this.

Sweaties?

Ducky has to get at least one derogatory term into each of his posts.
Nice to see him come out to bat for Nicola Sturgeon and the break up of the union just to, er, make a point on the internet.

Keeping the union jack must be only a concern for pinko leftie wets and dopey chicks.

Given your approach to marital relationships, you must have some Sweaty ancestry.

Answer the question.

Whilst we are on the subject of answering questions, perhaps you would like to tell me what you mean by my approach to marital relations Ducky? Nice bit of racial stereotypical phrasing there too!

You answer this question first. Why is it the further right one goes, the moe unpleasant they become?

Those on the far-left are the most sanctimonious, judgemental, entitled and unpleasant people i've ever come across.

Spoiler - it's nothing to do with left and right. It's people who are extreme in their views, whatever that view may be.

Edited by Saint_clark

Those on the far-left are the most sanctimonious, judgemental, entitled and unpleasant people i've ever come across.

Spoiler - it's nothing to do with left and right. It's people who are extreme in their views, whatever that view may be.

They may well be, and I know a few on the far left like that myself. But none of them are the least bit violet. Whilst they might go on marches and wave placards about, they wouldn’t dream of threatening people or getting involved in punch ups. From what I see those on the far right are far more disposed to using threats and violence to get their way.

Absolutely. You're correct and we have a couple of examples on this thread.

They may well be, and I know a few on the far left like that myself. But none of them are the least bit violet. Whilst they might go on marches and wave placards about, they wouldn’t dream of threatening people or getting involved in punch ups. From what I see those on the far right are far more disposed to using threats and violence to get their way.

Maybe in this country (so far), but just look to America to see how things are going - Antifa and other far left organisations regularly attacking people, causing destruction to public property, shutting down public speakers etc. Glossed over in the media but it's happening all the time.

Maybe in this country (so far), but just look to America to see how things are going - Antifa and other far left organisations regularly attacking people, causing destruction to public property, shutting down public speakers etc. Glossed over in the media but it's happening all the time.

Yeah like the resistance killed people just like them nazis. #bothsides