Jo Swinson (and the Death of the Liberal Party)

Tamesaint

Maybe in this country (so far), but just look to America to see how things are going - Antifa and other far left organisations regularly attacking people, causing destruction to public property, shutting down public speakers etc. Glossed over in the media but it's happening all the time.

I was talking about this with an American colleague only yesterday. Far from being glossed over there is blanket coverage of every tiny incident, even and maybe especially those which have nothing to do with politics. My colleagues elderly parents only watch Fox and are scared to go out.

You’re being manipulated. Foreigners, losing control, the old days, WW2 and Waterloo, benefits scroungers, tax being wasted etc etc are all part of a calculated strategy. You, apparently, are lapping at the bowl.

I was talking about this with an American colleague only yesterday. Far from being glossed over there is blanket coverage of every tiny incident, even and maybe especially those which have nothing to do with politics. My colleagues elderly parents only watch Fox and are scared to go out.

You’re being manipulated. Foreigners, losing control, the old days, WW2 and Waterloo, benefits scroungers, tax being wasted etc etc are all part of a calculated strategy. You, apparently, are lapping at the bowl.

It’s strange, my best friends wife is American, she says the opposite

This is a decent article, not uncritical of antifa but clear about the wider media game of false equivalence being played:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/7/3/20677645/antifa-portland-andy-ngo-proud-boys

On the deplatforming myth with actual data rather than batman's wife's best friend :lol:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/3/17644180/political-correctness-free-speech-liberal-data-georgetown

Edited by shurlock

This is a decent article, not uncritical of antifa but clear about the wider media game of false equivalence being played:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/7/3/20677645/antifa-portland-andy-ngo-proud-boys

On the deplatforming myth with actual data rather than batman's wife's best friend :lol:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/8/3/17644180/political-correctness-free-speech-liberal-data-georgetown

Agree.

The go to antidote to political apathy, the motivator to 'get out and make me king' seems to have become division - 'don't let "them" destroy your way of life' . However the level of violence so far is both small scale and targeted - primarily two tribes battering each other, like Maidstone in a Saturday night. No antifa or come to that far right nationalist is going to be going around attacking elderly people in Wal Mart. That said its obviously a destructive trend.

Edited by buctootim

Those on the far-left are the most sanctimonious, judgemental, entitled and unpleasant people i've ever come across.

Spoiler - it's nothing to do with left and right. It's people who are extreme in their views, whatever that view may be.

As a rule of thumb, I find that the further from the centre the more unpleasant and tedious people become.

Maybe in this country (so far), but just look to America to see how things are going - Antifa and other far left organisations regularly attacking people, causing destruction to public property, shutting down public speakers etc. Glossed over in the media but it's happening all the time.

:lol: how many people have Antifa killed?

That is an incredible leap of judgement to make about me based off of me saying that far left organisations are attacking people as well. I don't read/watch any mainstream media from America - I watch unedited footage and read reactions coming directly from people at events, and there is plenty of evidence of Antifa being one of the most violent and (ironically) fascist organisations out there.

Ken Clarke and the assorted Tory rebels are not mad enough to let the cretin anywhere near Downing Street in any circumstances.

They are the critical players in this issue.

It doesn't stop the swivel-eyed magic Grandpa disciples from blaming it all on Swinson and the Lib Dems though.

Edited by CB Fry

To be fair, they were the revolution - it's why we now have a very right Conservative Party and a fast-growing middle-ground. If it weren't for that initial break no-one would have had the guts to move.

Complete pony.

Revolution? Lol.

They’re just pinko tories and Blairettes that faced de-selection, so jumped before they were pushed. Tom Watson stopped the whole thing in its tracks by setting up his centre left group within the party. They’re charlatans, not revolutionaries.

Austin Mitchell has penned the best takedown of the lib dumbs I’ve read.

http:// https://brexitcentral.com/how-did-the-party-of-asquith-degenerate-into-a-sanctimonious-anti-democratic-rabble/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Complete pony.

Revolution? Lol.

They’re just pinko tories and Blairettes that faced de-selection, so jumped before they were pushed. Tom Watson stopped the whole thing in its tracks by setting up his centre left group within the party. They’re charlatans, not revolutionaries.

Austin Mitchell has penned the best takedown of the lib dumbs I’ve read.

http:// https://brexitcentral.com/how-did-the-party-of-asquith-degenerate-into-a-sanctimonious-anti-democratic-rabble/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't say it was a good revolution, did I?

Brexit Central is blocked on my works network unfortunately.

it's why we now have a very right Conservative Party and a fast-growing middle-ground.

No way is this Government “very far right”. Apart from Priti at the Home office their outlook and policies are very pink tinged. The only way this Government can be seen as right wing is if you believe the false analysis that Brexit is a right wing project. There’s a cigarette paper between Boris and the Blairettes on everything bar Brexit. Take Brexit away. This Government is part of the big pink blob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way is this Government “very far right”. Apart from Priti at the Home office their outlook and policies are very pink tinged. The only way this Government can be seen as right wing is if you believe the false analysis that Brexit is a right wing project. There’s a cigarette paper between Boris and the Blairettes on everything bar Brexit. Take Brexit away. This Government is part of the big pink blob.

That's if you believe their policies - which I don't.

I suppose you define the current Government by your own leaning to the right. A number of moderate Tories have jumped ship because of the lurch to the right. I guess if you align with Attila the Hun you will think of the current Government as “pinkos.”

I suppose you define the current Government by your own leaning to the right. A number of moderate Tories have jumped ship because of the lurch to the right. I guess if you align with Attila the Hun you will think of the current Government as “pinkos.”
I think you'll find Attila was a counter revolutionary, anti establishment, pinko determined to bring down the "Man" in the guise of the Roman empire. He was an equal opportunity employer to. Happy to give jobs to Huns, Goths, Alans and anyone else who didn't mind a spot of murder, rape and pillage.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I think you'll find Attila was a counter revolutionary, anti establishment, pinko determined to bring down the "Man" in the guise of the Roman empire. He was an equal opportunity employer to. Happy to give jobs to Huns, Goths, Alans and anyone else who didn't mind a spot of murder, rape and pillage.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Damned Pinkos get everywhere!!

They’ve jumped ship because of Brexit. This is not a right wing Government in any way shape or form. There’s little point in commenting on politics if you believe it is. Cameron’s pinko Government was further right in economic terms, Osborne more fiscally conservative than the promises Javid is making. David Milliband, Chucka, Ed Balls’ snap dragon and Cleggy could easily sit in this Government, Brexit aside

You’re confusing the membership with the Government. The membership has moved rightwards, but the Government is part of the pink blob.

I'm surprised that there is no mention that I can see of the substantial payments into Swinson's husband's organisation from the EU and from Soro's organisation. Surely this constitutes a vested interest in her desire for the UK to remain in the UK, but as far as I know, she hasn't declared it. How strange that the media isn't all over it.

I'm surprised that there is no mention that I can see of the substantial payments into Swinson's husband's organisation from the EU and from Soro's organisation. Surely this constitutes a vested interest in her desire for the UK to remain in the UK, but as far as I know, she hasn't declared it. How strange that the media isn't all over it.

Surely if there was any indication that this was even possibly true then the Mail, Express, and Telegraph would be all over it ?

Surely if there was any indication that this was even possibly true then the Mail, Express, and Telegraph would be all over it ?

He heads up the UK chapter of Transparency International, the leading anticorruption NGO (information that is in the public domain). It receives grant funding from many private and public organisations, including (but not exclusively) EU and Open Society (again in the public domain in a fully audited set of annual accounts). Funding from non-EU and OS sources, notably DfiD and FCO (government departments) overwhelmingly makes up the lion share. Organisations give funding to NGOs all the time, especially in important policy areas and as far as I know nobody is saying that fighting corruption is a bad thing. There’s no grand conspiracy here. Best ignore Les - he’s not well.

Edited by shurlock

Ken Clarke and the assorted Tory rebels are not mad enough to let the cretin anywhere near Downing Street in any circumstances.

They are the critical players in this issue.

It doesn't stop the swivel-eyed magic Grandpa disciples from blaming it all on Swinson and the Lib Dems though.

No Deal Brexit it is then, well done Clarke.

We all have a vested interest in staying in the EU, we'd all be better off, there's nothing controversial in that.

Saw this the other day

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11971/jo_swinson/east_dunbartonshire/votes

She has a really interesting voting record.

Voted to use the military

Voted for that bedroom tax and lower housing benefit

Against raising benefits especially those disabled

Voted for reduction of welfare payments

Against creating jobs for younger people

Voted to increase taxes and vat

Against mansion tax

Against raising corp tax and wanted to lower it

For high speed rail

Against private people not being able to use NHS

For raising tuition fees

For ending financial help to 16-19 year olds struggling in higher education

Against stricter asylum rules

For selling state owned forests

Against low carbon emissions incentives

Against fracking greater regulation

Against slowing the rate at rail fares are increasing

Against measures on climate change

For killing badgers

Against anti terror laws

Seems a bit of a ***** tbh

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 29/07/2019 at 13:04, Berkhamsted Saint said:

Jo Swinson will be a success for the LibDems as she took over the party at the right time. Due to the horrific anti semitism within the Labour party many traditional Labour voters will switch to the the Libdems. It all depends where her positive momentum takes them as a party and whether they can build on it long term.

😅

5 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

Stop coming on to me freako.

I apologise. I'm sure you bumped a three year old thread about a long removed Lim Dem leader for really good reason.

Have you got some research from your Youtubes to share with us?