View Poll Results: SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • Conservatives

    25 23.36%
  • Labour

    16 14.95%
  • Liberals

    46 42.99%
  • UKIP

    0 0%
  • Green

    11 10.28%
  • Brexit

    7 6.54%
  • Change UK

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 1.87%
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 700 of 901

Thread: Boris Johnson and the death of the United Kingdom as we know it.

  1. #651

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,085
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    ... and by the garbage they read in the Sun, Mail, Telegraph etc
    Like I said, it suits the narrative of corbyn supporters to pretend that the reason more people aren't voting Labour is because they are brainwashed by 90% of the media rather than because his policies are unworkable and garbage and because he is an uncharasmatic bore who has not dealt with antisemitism quickly enough in his party. It really doesn't matter what you believe except that when Labour fail to win the election, that's then the time to reevaluate some of this stuff rather than doubling down and going for the same ruinous socialist nonsense but with a new leader. Which one will Labour go with?

  2. #652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Like I said, it suits the narrative of corbyn supporters to pretend that the reason more people aren't voting Labour is because they are brainwashed by 90% of the media rather than because his policies are unworkable and garbage and because he is an uncharasmatic bore who has not dealt with antisemitism quickly enough in his party. It really doesn't matter what you believe except that when Labour fail to win the election, that's then the time to reevaluate some of this stuff rather than doubling down and going for the same ruinous socialist nonsense but with a new leader. Which one will Labour go with?
    My wife's a quarter Arabic so I can't be racist.

  3. #653

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Like I said, it suits the narrative of corbyn supporters to pretend that the reason more people aren't voting Labour is because they are brainwashed by 90% of the media rather than because his policies are unworkable and garbage and because he is an uncharasmatic bore who has not dealt with antisemitism quickly enough in his party. It really doesn't matter what you believe except that when Labour fail to win the election, that's then the time to reevaluate some of this stuff rather than doubling down and going for the same ruinous socialist nonsense but with a new leader. Which one will Labour go with?
    I’m not a Corbyn supporter, he won’t win the election because he’s too far left, lacks charisma and is quite frankly a poor politician. He a toxic brand who should have been dumped years ago.

    That doesn’t make him an anti-Semite though you bell end.

  4. #654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Iím not a Corbyn supporter, he wonít win the election because heís too far left, lacks charisma and is quite frankly a poor politician. He a toxic brand who should have been dumped years ago.

    That doesnít make him an anti-Semite though you bell end.


    Corbyn failing to have more than 100 instances or anti-semitism sorted is enough for anybody to equate that as reason enough to class him as anti-semitic. As leader of the party the buck stops with him.

    Calling somebody a bell end because of your blinkered idiology can be said to leave you open to many calls of you being a tosser or worse.

  5. #655

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    18,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    My wife's a quarter Arabic so I can't be racist.
    I don't think "quarter Arabic" even makes sense.

    "Quarter Arabian", would be correct.

  6. #656

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,085
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    My wife's a quarter Arabic so I can't be racist.
    Just keep deflecting and pretending I said things I didn't say. All an irrelevance once the election results come in. Tick tock.

  7. #657

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,085
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Iím not a Corbyn supporter, he wonít win the election because heís too far left, lacks charisma and is quite frankly a poor politician. He a toxic brand who should have been dumped years ago.

    That doesnít make him an anti-Semite though you bell end.
    I didn't call him an anti-semite.

  8. #658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    You realise it's only the uber lefty Jeremy fanboys who buy that narrative right?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...44381.html?amp

  9. #659

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Do you have a brain injury? Serious question.
    Do you have to have brain surgery to think it odd that someone thinks that Jewish people have hooked noses in 2019? Serious question.

  10. #660

    Default

    Johnson really is such a pleasant, caring fellow:
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/16/boris...tacks-9970567/

  11. #661

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFC Forever View Post
    Corbyn failing to have more than 100 instances or anti-semitism sorted is enough for anybody to equate that as reason enough to class him as anti-semitic. As leader of the party the buck stops with him.
    Even if that is true (it sounds like allegations of anti-semitism are being dealt with) it just makes him a bad leader who is not dealing with the problem well enough, it doesn’t make him anti-Semitic. Corbyn has long stood up for Palestinian rights, there is obvious motivation for Israel and their supporters to do all they can to stop him being PM.

  12. #662

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,085
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Even if that is true (it sounds like allegations of anti-semitism are being dealt with) it just makes him a bad leader who is not dealing with the problem well enough, it doesnít make him anti-Semitic. Corbyn has long stood up for Palestinian rights, there is obvious motivation for Israel and their supporters to do all they can to stop him being PM.
    But as I already said, I didn't call him an anti-semite.

  13. #663

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    8,115

    Default

    Anyway, moving back vaguely in the direction of the actual thread topic, I see the Beeb have capitulated and allowed Johnson to go on the Marr show tomorrow as it is "in the public interest" following the events on London Bridge.

    Shall we run a sweepstake on how many times he says "get Brexit done" and attempts to throw in the Labour Antisemitism line to a completely unrelated question?

  14. #664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post
    Anyway, moving back vaguely in the direction of the actual thread topic, I see the Beeb have capitulated and allowed Johnson to go on the Marr show tomorrow as it is "in the public interest" following the events on London Bridge.

    Shall we run a sweepstake on how many times he says "get Brexit done" and attempts to throw in the Labour Antisemitism line to a completely unrelated question?
    Yep and I assume the others don't throw unrelated answers to questions lol

  15. #665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Even if that is true (it sounds like allegations of anti-semitism are being dealt with) it just makes him a bad leader who is not dealing with the problem well enough, it doesn’t make him anti-Semitic. Corbyn has long stood up for Palestinian rights, there is obvious motivation for Israel and their supporters to do all they can to stop him being PM.
    Yes, but attempting to reform the institution looking into the anti-semitism in their party isnt the best looking way of dealing with it.


    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...semitism-probe

  16. #666

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheaf Saint View Post

    Shall we run a sweepstake on how many times he says "get Brexit done" and attempts to throw in the Labour Antisemitism line to a completely unrelated question?
    What a strange dig.

  17. #667

    Default

    Johnson is so poor on Marr. This fcker can never come clean and acknowledge been in power for 10 years. ĎIt was labour...í Usual lot here will no doubt lap it up. Desperate stuff that he is going to be in charge of our country.

  18. #668

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,859

    Default Boris Johnson and the death of the United Kingdom as we know it.

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Johnson is so poor on Marr. This fcker can never come clean and acknowledge been in power for 10 years. ĎIt was labour...í Usual lot here will no doubt lap it up. Desperate stuff that he is going to be in charge of our country.
    It was pretty bad, Marr is light years behind Andrew Neil. He is A terrible host/interviewer. Marr interviewing the PM is a waste of time.

    I would love to see Johnson getting a grilling from Neill, it ainít happening. Everything else is painful (for all politicians)
    Last edited by Batman; 01-12-2019 at 09:20 AM.

  19. #669

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    What a strange dig.
    Not really, that is what he does. Have you not noticed?

  20. #670

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    Not really, that is what he does. Have you not noticed?
    The other leaders do exactly the same. Hence why I said it was a strange dig

  21. #671

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    The other leaders do exactly the same. Hence why I said it was a strange dig
    Not that it is a competition, but I think that you will find that Johnson does it more frequently.

  22. Default Boris Johnson and the death of the United Kingdom as we know it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    It was pretty bad, Marr is light years behind Andrew Neil. He is A terrible host/interviewer. Marr interviewing the PM is a waste of time.
    Heís a complete & utter pinko. His newspaper articles were boring and wet and his interviewing is the same. Apart from Neil the media is low grade right on chumps. Iíve stoped watching Sky news, Bunter Boulton is terrible and donít get me started on Beth ****ing Rigby, Eleanor Rigby would do a better job and sheís been wearing her face in a jar for 50 years. Kay Burley is fit, but ****ing annoying and Jon Snow needs putting in a home. Peston is like an embarrassing dad going through a mid life crisis. Sophie Ridge shows some promise, but that hag Jo Co has ruined Politics live. A new broom is needed, the Paxman tribute acts are wearing thin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lord Duckhunter; 01-12-2019 at 01:10 PM.

  23. #673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Heís a complete & utter pinko. His newspaper articles were boring and wet and his interviewing is the same. Apart from Neil the media is low grade right on chumps. Iíve stoped watching Sky news, Bunter Boulton is terrible and donít get me started on Beth ****ing Rigby, Eleanor Rigby would do a better job and sheís been wearing her face in a jar for 50 years. Kay Burley is fit, but ****ing annoying and Jon Snow needs putting in a home. Peston is like an embarrassing dad going through a mid life crisis. Sophie Ridge shows some promise, but that hag Jo Co has ruined Politics live. A new broom is needed, the Paxman tribute acts are wearing thin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah your hero put in a stunning performance.Keep the line.
    Marr should have made more stick but Johnson just came across like a rambling fool. It is all embarrassing.
    Corbyn no better.
    There is consensus from pretty much everyone I discuss with that we are at an all time low.

  24. #674

    Default

    Full interview transcript should anyone be interested


    https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/1...n-andrew-marr/

  25. #675

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,953
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Heís a complete & utter pinko. His newspaper articles were boring and wet and his interviewing is the same. Apart from Neil the media is low grade right on chumps. Iíve stoped watching Sky news, Bunter Boulton is terrible and donít get me started on Beth ****ing Rigby, Eleanor Rigby would do a better job and sheís been wearing her face in a jar for 50 years. Kay Burley is fit, but ****ing annoying and Jon Snow needs putting in a home. Peston is like an embarrassing dad going through a mid life crisis. Sophie Ridge shows some promise, but that hag Jo Co has ruined Politics live. A new broom is needed, the Paxman tribute acts are wearing thin.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The coffin-dodger doth protest too much, methinks. Beth Rigby clearly getting under your skin pal. Iíll take that to mean sheís doing a cracking job.

  26. #676

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,953
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    It’s got so bad that interviewers need to wear earpieces so factcheckers can substantiate claims in real-time and communicate with them VAR-stylee.

    https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCRealit...35464851345408

  27. #677

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    Good to see at least one Tory has a moral compass.

  28. #678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    Good to see at least one Tory has a moral compass.
    For moral compass read ego dented

  29. #679

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    P-Tr boundary
    Posts
    3,814

    Default Boris Johnson and the death of the United Kingdom as we know it.

    Iím very glad to see Javid go. The guy is an opportunistic moron. Now if only we could get rid of the rest of the opportunistic morons...

  30. #680

    Default

    After the weird briefing the treasury gave the Sundays last week about a "mansion tax" of all things, it was obvious all was not well.

    Good to see things going back to a Cameron / Osbourne joined nature in no 10 & 11.

  31. #681

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,953
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    After the weird briefing the treasury gave the Sundays last week about a "mansion tax" of all things, it was obvious all was not well.

    Good to see things going back to a Cameron / Osbourne joined nature in no 10 & 11.
    I thought you were a fiscal conservative?

  32. #682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nolan View Post
    After the weird briefing the treasury gave the Sundays last week about a "mansion tax" of all things, it was obvious all was not well.

    Good to see things going back to a Cameron / Osbourne joined nature in no 10 & 11.
    This is obviously nothing like Cameron and Osborne but you already know that.

  33. #683

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    For moral compass read ego dented
    If it was about ego why not keep you job and ditch the minions?

  34. #684

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    12,846

    Default

    It's gone very quiet on here regarding the transition/implementation period and the possible developments prior to us leaving either with a trade deal with the EU, or without one on WTO terms, (or what Boris calls the Australia arrangement). Recently the EU's MEPs have voted on their vision for our future relationship together, wishing to have an associate arrangement, we being tied as tightly as possible to them by their rules and regulations, what they would call a level playing field. As well as that, they would like us to grant them similar rights to continue fishing our territorial waters, continued freedom of movement and continued jurisdiction of the ECJ.

    Boris has already indicated that we will refuse to accept alignment to all of their rules and regulations, that we should be free to decide what we keep and what to get rid of. The French are naturally being difficult, as is their wont. Their Foreign Minister has just expressed the opinion that the trade discussions will tear us both apart, that there isn't enough time to get them sorted before the 31st December. Macron has also stated that trade talks cannot commence until we agree that the EU can continue their access to our fishing grounds on much the same basis as before, and they offer concessions to our financial markets access as a sweetener. These things need to be settled by the end of June, the time limit by which any request for an extension of the transition period can be agreed.

    Boris has already stated categorically that there will be no extension to the 31st December deadline, that if a deal isn't in place by then, we are out on WTO terms. There are two or three other categorical statements that he should make at this stage of the proceedings. Our coastal waters will be under our total control and any access to them by EU boats will be strictly under our terms. Gibraltar is not to be treated as a separate entity in the talks. We will leave the single market and the customs union, so everything connected to them both will no longer apply, therefore no freedom of movement, no jurisdiction of the ECJ.

    He has already made it clear that as the EU does substantially more trade with us than it does with Japan, Canada and Korea, the suggestion from the EU that we ought to somehow accept a worse trade deal than theirs, is plainly ludicrous. Boris having indicated that we would be content with a similar type of trade deal, what more needs to be said? Until the EU is given a take it or leave it ultimatum, they will continue to delude themselves that we will not hold our nerve and accept all sorts of concessions in order to get as close a deal as possible. It doesn't help that some remoaner ex-cabinet minister suggests that Boris will act tough and then fold at the last minute when faced with being the PM to crash the economy by leaving with a cliff edge no deal. Enough of these timid weasel remoaners with their project fear predictions!

    Tell the EU that as we won't be extending the transition period, signing away our fishing grounds access, accepting their rules and regulations, that Gibraltar isn't on the table, that we will only accept a similar deal to Canada/Japan/Korea, they might as well use the time between now and the end of June constructively, and work towards getting that trade deal done.

  35. #685

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    Their Foreign Minister has just expressed the opinion that the trade discussions will tear us both apart, that there isn't enough time to get them sorted before the 31st December. Macron has also stated that trade talks cannot commence until we agree that the EU can continue their access to our fishing grounds on much the same basis as before, and they offer concessions to our financial markets access as a sweetener. These things need to be settled by the end of June, the time limit by which any request for an extension of the transition period can be agreed.
    The Canada deal took 13 years, the Japan one six. But brave Brits can get everything they want in six months . Battling brave Boris Brits .

  36. #686

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Would that be the Canada deal that took 7 years to negotiate, covers a massive 2 % of EU trade in goods, and as yet has only been ratified by half of the EU member states ?

  37. #687

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Would that be the Canada deal that took 7 years to negotiate, covers a massive 2 % of EU trade in goods, and as yet has only been ratified by half of the EU member states ?
    Started in 2008!

  38. #688

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    12,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    The Canada deal took 13 years, the Japan one six. But brave Brits can get everything they want in six months . Battling brave Boris Brits .
    You fail to recognise the difference between the situation between Canada, Japan, Korea and us. Neither of them had any previous trade deals with the EU, so had to start the negotiations from scratch. We begin from a position of total alignment having been a member of the EEC/EU since 1973. The end of June deadline is the EU's only. We have already told them to stuff their extension. There are nine and a half months until the end of December. The EU had notice that we were leaving since June 24th 2016, nearly four years ago. Presumably you believe that neither the EU nor the UK has made any plans to prepare for that deadline.

    We are not extending the deadline, so unless the EU pulls their finger out before the end of the year, then WTO it is. So you don't think a trade deal within that time it is feasible, great, WTO it is then. I'm entirely happy with that. Let's keep the £40 billion and bring about the situation that petrifies them, a major successful trading competitor right on their doorstep. We aren't asking for anything that hasn't been granted to those other countries. Does it take longer to arrange a similar deal that has been negotiated several times before, or less time? Do any of them pay anything into the EU coffers for their trade deals? Any ECJ jurisdiction over their courts? Any free movement of EU citizens into their countries? Access to their fishery grounds? No, I thought not. The ball is in their court. We will soon see how quickly they can move when they have to.

  39. #689

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    You fail to recognise the difference between the situation between Canada, Japan, Korea and us. Neither of them had any previous trade deals with the EU, so had to start the negotiations from scratch. We begin from a position of total alignment having been a member of the EEC/EU since 1973. The end of June deadline is the EU's only. We have already told them to stuff their extension. There are nine and a half months until the end of December. The EU had notice that we were leaving since June 24th 2016, nearly four years ago. Presumably you believe that neither the EU nor the UK has made any plans to prepare for that deadline.

    We are not extending the deadline, so unless the EU pulls their finger out before the end of the year, then WTO it is. So you don't think a trade deal within that time it is feasible, great, WTO it is then. I'm entirely happy with that. Let's keep the £40 billion and bring about the situation that petrifies them, a major successful trading competitor right on their doorstep. We aren't asking for anything that hasn't been granted to those other countries. Does it take longer to arrange a similar deal that has been negotiated several times before, or less time? Do any of them pay anything into the EU coffers for their trade deals? Any ECJ jurisdiction over their courts? Any free movement of EU citizens into their countries? Access to their fishery grounds? No, I thought not. The ball is in their court. We will soon see how quickly they can move when they have to.
    Its a delusion Wes. Firstly starting from a blank sheet of paper is easier than piecemeal unpicking of 50 years of integration. Secondly Johnson has said he doesnt want the exiting alignment so there will have to be renegotiation. Thirdly June isnt an artificial deadline and you cant just run negotiations up to 31st December. Why? Well because whatever is decided in negotiations has to be transcribed into guidance for staff in immigration, customs, fisheries, revenue, trading standards and all the software needed for businesses and officials to provide the right paperwork and calculate duties payable needs to be written and then updated. Six months is already incredibly short.

  40. #690

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    You fail to recognise the difference between the situation between Canada, Japan, Korea and us. Neither of them had any previous trade deals with the EU, so had to start the negotiations from scratch. We begin from a position of total alignment having been a member of the EEC/EU since 1973. The end of June deadline is the EU's only. We have already told them to stuff their extension. There are nine and a half months until the end of December. The EU had notice that we were leaving since June 24th 2016, nearly four years ago. Presumably you believe that neither the EU nor the UK has made any plans to prepare for that deadline.

    We are not extending the deadline, so unless the EU pulls their finger out before the end of the year, then WTO it is. So you don't think a trade deal within that time it is feasible, great, WTO it is then. I'm entirely happy with that. Let's keep the £40 billion and bring about the situation that petrifies them, a major successful trading competitor right on their doorstep. We aren't asking for anything that hasn't been granted to those other countries. Does it take longer to arrange a similar deal that has been negotiated several times before, or less time? Do any of them pay anything into the EU coffers for their trade deals? Any ECJ jurisdiction over their courts? Any free movement of EU citizens into their countries? Access to their fishery grounds? No, I thought not. The ball is in their court. We will soon see how quickly they can move when they have to.
    How much 'just in time' supply and production do all those other countries operate with the EU ? How much of their fishing grounds are within 2 days sailing of European ports ?
    Last edited by badgerx16; 17-02-2020 at 04:53 PM.

  41. #691

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    12,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    Its a delusion Wes. Firstly starting from a blank sheet of paper is easier than piecemeal unpicking of 50 years of integration. Secondly Johnson has said he doesnt want the exiting alignment so there will have to be renegotiation. Thirdly June isnt an artificial deadline and you cant just run negotiations up to 31st December. Why? Well because whatever is decided in negotiations has to be transcribed into guidance for staff in immigration, customs, fisheries, revenue, trading standards and all the software needed for businesses and officials to provide the right paperwork and calculate duties payable needs to be written and then updated. Six months is already incredibly short.
    Starting with a blank sheet of paper is easier than making some amendments to a long-standing arrangement? Our standards on many work and environmental regulations are already better than those in the EU, so perhaps we should agree to drop them to their level. Johnson has been clear about what he wants. He doesn't want a deal with the existing alignment, he just wants a non-tariff trade deal such as Canada/Japan/S/Korea, so there is clarity sbout what the parameters for the negotiations will be. The EU should stop wasting valuable time p*ssing up the wall with talk about level playing fields; we don't want one.

    If the French say that trade negotiations cannot start until we accede to the EU being able to continue plundering our coastal waters as before, then we should say OK, no point in discussing anything further, WTO it is. That then allows us nine and a half months to make those arrangements on that basis, much of which has already been planned for the past year or two.

    When as you say the timescale is incredibly short, one wonders why the French in particular are putting a brake on the negotiations even starting until fisheries access is agreed. It's almost as if they don't want a trade deal, isn't it? Either that, or they naively imagine that we will cave in like the Vicar's daughter and Robbins did and extend the deadline for another year or two. Boy, do they have a shock coming their way!

  42. #692

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    ..... WTO it is.
    This would the WTO scenario that is reckoned to reduce GDP by up to 5%, and that industry bodies such as the SMMT say would be 'disastrous' to their international trade ?

  43. Default

    Heart warming words tonight from David Frost, Boris Johnson's EU negotiator.









    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  44. #694

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,953
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I see Les is still angry (the emojis are also back). It goes without saying he’s talking complete gibberish regarding the relative difficulties of convergence vs. divergence. Still he is trying his best as he embarrassingly attempts to climb down from 3.5 years of cretinous claims and delusional fantasies that we could have our cake and eat it and enjoy similar trading relations outside the EU as inside it. Now we’ll be lucky to get a Canada-style deal with all its frictions and economic costs on the same terms as little Canada. Oh dear Les and fellow swivels. Emoji. Emoji. Emoji.
    Last edited by shurlock; 17-02-2020 at 07:04 PM.

  45. #695

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    12,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    I see Les is still angry (the emojis are also back). It goes without saying heís talking complete gibberish regarding the relative difficulties of convergence vs. divergence. Still he is trying his best as he embarrassingly attempts to climb down from 3.5 years of cretinous claims and delusional fantasies that we could have our cake and eat it and enjoy similar trading relations outside the EU as inside it. Now weíll be lucky to get a Canada-style deal with all its frictions and economic costs on the same terms as little Canada. Oh dear Les and fellow swivels. Emoji. Emoji. Emoji.
    Good morning Gavyn. As usual, I have to disabuse you of your fantasy notion that I am angry somehow about the current state of affairs regarding our departure from the failing EU project. What a pity that I can't demonstrate my deep happiness by way of a happy emoji, lest some dullard mistakenly believes it means I am angry. I can feel that you are deeply hurt by the turn of events during the past three and a half years, finding yourself on the wrong side of history, alongside the others of your ilk, the so-called establishment experts of project fear. It must have been extremely galling to find that the plebs decided that they would be prepared to take their chances that the shrill establishment forecasts of economic doom and disaster were a price worth paying for the return of our ability to run our own affairs as an independent sovereign nation once more. And of course, it must be equally galling to you as a Blairite Champagne Socialist to find your beloved party lurching to the far left and then being decimated by its biggest ever defeat by the Tories. So I am not surprised that you are lashing out with the petty insults once more. I can sense your hurt.

    We will either get a Canada style trade deal or WTO. I have consistently thought that the Canada option was what would be best for us, but am completely content with either.

  46. #696

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Garden of Engerland
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    I love the way that Eton Oxford Boris de Pfeffel, broadsheet journalist and professional politician and Durham Oxford Cummings, professional political advisor, have managed to sell themselves as the anti-establishment anti-elite and anti-expert alternative.

  47. #697

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    As well as going after the BBC, it appears that Johnson is now looking to privatise Channel 4. Cross Johnson at your peril.

  48. #698

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,859

    Default Boris Johnson and the death of the United Kingdom as we know it.

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    As well as going after the BBC, it appears that Johnson is now looking to privatise Channel 4. Cross Johnson at your peril.
    You what?


    Unlike the BBC, Channel 4 receives no public funding. It is funded entirely by its own commercial activities.

  49. #699

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh
    Posts
    14,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    You what?


    Unlike the BBC, Channel 4 receives no public funding. It is funded entirely by its own commercial activities.
    Publically owned

  50. #700

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    Publically owned
    in that case, who gives a toss?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •