The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.

CB Fry

SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election  

193 members have voted

1. 1. SWF (Non Legally Binding) General Election

• Conservatives
    • Labour
    • Liberals
    • UKIP
    • Green
    • Brexit
    • Change UK
    • Other

So he loses his first six votes as PM in six days, now he's been shown to have misled the Queen.

Can't be many PM's who've been so incompetent in such a short time.

Yeah, I mean who would have thought that a man who has proved himself time and time again as unfit to hold public office would turn out to be such a terrible PM huh?

It looks like he is going to tough it out. He is also saying that the court are wrong. 11 experienced judges against a serial liar....hmmmm

If the SC had found in his favour he'd be lauding them. ( Or at least Cummings would be, not sure BoJo is capable of thinking for himself ).

Johnson mimicking Trump but he is not as good at it and like to think our public are less gullible although maybe wrong. Both cnts will get their comeuppance just don’t know how soon

Well, it helps Trump that he controls the senate and the supreme court. Johnson has just discovered why that's important.

Johnson mimicking Trump but he is not as good at it and like to think our public are less gullible although maybe wrong. Both cnts will get their comeuppance just don’t know how soon

Well, it helps Trump that he controls the senate and the supreme court. Johnson has just discovered why that's important.

Trump has dementia and is worsening rapidly so whatever happens with impeachment he won’t be having a second term and the rest of his life is looking pretty crap. The question is whether his acolytes manage to ensure power is retained amongst them.

Yesterday in the Commons we saw the true side of Johnson at work. Not the bumbling amiable clown but a nasty piece of work without an ounce of empathy. Sadly a lot of people will vote for him simply because they believe he will take us out of the EU come what may, not matter what the collateral damage in the process. The next election will be a one issue vote and because of the strength of feeling about Brexit he might just pull it off. The trouble we will then be stuck with this dreadful man for the next five years and God only knows what mess he and the new Far right Tories will make of this country.

Perhaps the cameras in the HoC should be turned off for the next 3 weeks, so that the bile ridden antics on both sides are denied the 'oxygen of publicity'. BoJo came out swinging yesterday, and the spectacle, language, and example set were disgraceful. Describing understandable concerns over threats of violence as "humbug", given his recent exploits, was not the style of leadership we should be demanding of our Prime Minister.

Yesterday in the Commons we saw the true side of Johnson at work. Not the bumbling amiable clown but a nasty piece of work without an ounce of empathy. Sadly a lot of people will vote for him simply because they believe he will take us out of the EU come what may, not matter what the collateral damage in the process. The next election will be a one issue vote and because of the strength of feeling about Brexit he might just pull it off. The trouble we will then be stuck with this dreadful man for the next five years and God only knows what mess he and the new Far right Tories will make of this country.

The remain side need to win the argument. Not call everyone who disagrees with them a racist, racist, far right, like the taliban etc and then show faux outrage when harsh language is used in their direction.

I see Jess Phillips and others (rightly) having a pop at Johnson for his rhetoric yesterday. Yet all quiet when McDonnell jokes about assassinating torys or that torys should be hounded in the street.

Harsh that the PM threw back the Jo Cox line (ok for once side to user he name in the argument) but not outrage from the same people when JRMs kids are brought into the argument.

Win over the people. They clearly do think they are otherwise we would be preparing for an election right now.

The language on BOTH sides is terrible as is the camera facing faux outrage

The remain side need to win the argument. Not call everyone who disagrees with them a racist, racist, far right, like the taliban etc and then show faux outrage when harsh language is used in their direction.

I see Jess Phillips and others (rightly) having a pop at Johnson for his rhetoric yesterday. Yet all quiet when McDonnell jokes about assassinating torys or that torys should be hounded in the street.

Harsh that the PM threw back the Jo Cox line (ok for once side to user he name in the argument) but not outrage from the same people when JRMs kids are brought into the argument.

Win over the people. They clearly do think they are otherwise we would be preparing for an election right now.

The language on BOTH sides is terrible as is the camera facing faux outrage

Just my 2 cents here but the "both sides" element is playing exactly into the Steve Bannon play book. Commentators above have drawn parallels with Trump/ US right wing politics of divide and conquer. Show zero remorse and use words/ rhetoric that focuses on voters most primal instinct, fear. Dog whistle words like "surrender" are used repeatedly for a reason. They're not an accident. Steve Bannon literally wrote the book on this and it's no coincidence he has been advising BJ. I mention the "both sides" thing as that is exactly what the Trump admin' focus on in their talking points. The disgusting, racist scenes at Charlottesville were the first proper "both sides" example and since then Fox and other right (and centre/ left) news channels and contributors have repeatedly gone down the road of "well for balance we should also mention..." then proceed to false equivalence in an attempt to play down the once a year (or longer) political bombshells that are dropping on a daily basis.

Again, just an observation after spending a lot of time looking at US politics and thinking it would never get "that" bad over here. It actually is.

My only hope is levels of literacy and access to independent news sources/ information are better here than the USA. Personally I hope/ think most people can see exactly what BJ and Cummings are attempting to do. On the side of the everyman they ain't.

Both sides is my view as I have seen various interviews with the likes of thornberry and farage amongst others from both sides.

You can’t move for someone like Swinson wailing into the camera, using the word racist, facist etc

Or McDonnell laughing about assassinating torys

I care not one bit about US Politics to be honest.

Edited by Batman

Just my 2 cents here but the "both sides" element is playing exactly into the Steve Bannon play book. Commentators above have drawn parallels with Trump/ US right wing politics of divide and conquer. Show zero remorse and use words/ rhetoric that focuses on voters most primal instinct, fear. Dog whistle words like "surrender" are used repeatedly for a reason. They're not an accident. Steve Bannon literally wrote the book on this and it's no coincidence he has been advising BJ. I mention the "both sides" thing as that is exactly what the Trump admin' focus on in their talking points. The disgusting, racist scenes at Charlottesville were the first proper "both sides" example and since then Fox and other right (and centre/ left) news channels and contributors have repeatedly gone down the road of "well for balance we should also mention..." then proceed to false equivalence in an attempt to play down the once a year (or longer) political bombshells that are dropping on a daily basis.

Again, just an observation after spending a lot of time looking at US politics and thinking it would never get "that" bad over here. It actually is.

My only hope is levels of literacy and access to independent news sources/ information are better here than the USA. Personally I hope/ think most people can see exactly what BJ and Cummings are attempting to do. On the side of the everyman they ain't.

To be fair, the idiots who were drawing a false equivalence between right-wing and left-wing violence have gone very quiet. Presumably because they realise how stupid their comments were.

The next election will be a one issue vote and because of the strength of feeling about Brexit he might just pull it off. The trouble we will then be stuck with this dreadful man for the next five years and God only knows what mess he and the new Far right Tories will make of this country.

If Boris wins the election, that will be the democratic choice. Just as the referendum was the democratic choice. I realise that you despise democracy if it doesn't suit your agenda. You're truly pathetic.

If Boris wins the election, that will be the democratic choice. Just as the referendum was the democratic choice. I realise that you despise democracy if it doesn't suit your agenda. You're truly pathetic.

If Boris wins it will be because he is up against Corbyn. Fred West would have an outside chance of winning against that ****.

I think we should all have good reason to despise our FPTP system of democracy, for forcing that choice on us.

You should post on this thread more often. Cummings is straight out the Trump playbook, similar values to those nationalists who assassinated Jo Cox. All I have seen from Remainers is peaceful marches in large numbers and a bit of heckling at JRM and Boris who was so petrified he had to leave Luxembourg. From Brexiteers we have had murder, physical attacks on MPs, racism (numerous, including Widdecombe’s slavery speech), incitement to violence towards ex Tory MPs and judges from Leave.EU, which is where Cummings learned his vile trade.

Loads of their mates made a ton of money out of the referendum but it doesn’t get airtime. It’s not just the usual suspects - Sun, Mail - DT is like something out of Germany in the 30s, it is totally a propaganda machine and Leave.EU in print form.

The language being used - surrender, traitor, hero - disgusting. My grandfather was a hero in WW2 - but he would have found Boris and Cummings revolting as a cultured man who fought for his country and saw all the above words in action in real life. That’s who taught me tolerance and respect for others, not like those poundshop Steve Bannons.

I used to think the advent of the internet would lead to greater access to news and information leading to the overthrow of authoritarian regimes in countries like Russia and China. In fact all its done is create new 'facts' so that any arsehole with ambition is able to manipulate the people easier.

Excellent post. Sad that the vast majority simply can't see Johnson's tactics are to portray himself as the people's friend fighting everyone else and encouraging hate of those opponents.

His whole campaign is based on being the man who delivers the referendum result, no matter what the cost to the country and ignoring difficulties. Which of course appeals to your average non-thinking Brexiteer.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Excellent post. Sad that the vast majority simply can't see Johnson's tactics are to portray himself as the people's friend fighting everyone else and encouraging hate of those opponents.

His whole campaign is based on being the man who delivers the referendum result, no matter what the cost to the country and ignoring difficulties. Which of course appeals to your average non-thinking Brexiteer.

He blocked Brexit twice, going against the will of the referendum, which just demanded we leave, not whether we leave without a backstop.

A Whitehouse staffer blew the whistle on Trump trying to sabotage a presidential rival by blackmailing an ally. Apparently that makes the guy a spy and spies should be shot. I’ve never until, the past month, thought Orwellian double speak would get a controlling hold in ‘great’ democracies like the UK and USA.

A Whitehouse staffer blew the whistle on Trump trying to sabotage a presidential rival by blackmailing an ally. Apparently that makes the guy a spy and spies should be shot. I’ve never until, the past month, thought Orwellian double speak would get a controlling hold in ‘great’ democracies like the UK and USA.

Perhaps you cannot see the irony in the fact that you know about it and are talking about it online without the fear of a knock on the door.

You talk about encouraging hate of opponents, and then in the same post call the average Brexiteer 'non-thinking' :lol:

It's like a friend I have on FB. He has spent the last 3 years relentlessly filling my timeline with toxic and hateful rhetoric about Brexit voters, and then yesterday puts up a post crying about Boris's language. The double-standards people like you and him have.

You talk about encouraging hate of opponents, and then in the same post call the average Brexiteer 'non-thinking' [emoji38]

It's like a friend I have on FB. He has spent the last 3 years relentlessly filling my timeline with toxic and hateful rhetoric about Brexit voters, and then yesterday puts up a post crying about Boris's language. The double-standards people like you and him have.

Not at all. By non -thinking I mean they readily lap up simplistic slogans and are very easily manipulated.

I'm not "toxic or hateful" of Brexiteers. I'm not trying to invite violence - something they seem very prepared to resort to anyway. I just totally disagree with the idea that leaving the EU is in any way good for the UK. The referendum was won narrowly (and still a minority of the electorate) because people didn't question the lies of the Leave campaign.

Not at all. By non -thinking I mean they readily lap up simplistic slogans and are very easily manipulated.

I'm not "toxic or hateful" of Brexiteers. I'm not trying to invite violence - something they seem very prepared to resort to anyway. I just totally disagree with the idea that leaving the EU is in any way good for the UK. The referendum was won narrowly (and still a minority of the electorate) because people didn't question the lies of the Leave campaign.

Ah yes, calling those with different political views 'non thinking' is not insulting at all? Mere simpletons who are manipulated to lap up slogans, as you put it.

And again, in this post you repeat the thing that has added hugely to the 'hate' you simultaneously complain about. Namely that Brexiteers are stupid, thick, racist, manipulated by 'lies', uninformed. I've heard it in my office, among friends, the media - for three years now.

We are sick of the hypocrisy. We have had insults thrown at us for 3 years, whilst politicians have refused to unite around the mandate- and now you all take the moral-high ground because leavers use words like surrender.

If vocal remainers actually care about healing the political climate, then it would be a start to get your own house in order before you start pointing the finger at us.

The issue we face is that the rhetoric used by powerful characters like Trump and Johnson’s gives licence to those prone to knee jerk reactionary behaviour to act out their frustrations in ways that go way beyond what is acceptable behaviour. You only have to look at the knuckle staggers who follow Tommy Robinson around to see what sort of people are sucked in by this crap. It will get far worse before it gets better.

How many times have you been called a traitor, told that you are "not British any more", or read that you deserve to be strung up by piano wire ?

Both are terms of abuse but being called thick (it’s true in Guided Missile’s case mind) is far less incendiary and dangerous than being called a traitor.

Edited by shurlock

Like when Boris and his pals blocked May's deal?

By not uniting around accepting the *possibility* of a no deal, it's pretty obvious parliament scuppered any chance of a favourable agreement. And May's 'deal' wouldn't have settled anything, it merely gave away 30 billion to tie our hands on future negotiations

How many times have you been called a traitor, told that you are "not British any more", or read that you deserve to be strung up by piano wire ?

Been likened to a Nazi (by a practising Uni professor, which tells you something), been spat on, am regularly in-directly called thick/stupid etc in the office. I say in-directly because (as a lot of Brexiteers I know experience) they all presume no one around them would have voted Brexit.

I'm not denying the combative language used by some on the leave side, but polling shows consistently, and in my own experience - that on a personal level, those on the remain side have much higher levels of hatred and intolerance towards Brexiteers than visa versa. I have many mild-mannered family member brexiteers who have lost friends, through the sheer nastiness they have had directed at them over it.

I'm not saying leave is completely innocent in all this polarisation, it's just galling to have remainers playing the poor victims.

By not uniting around accepting the *possibility* of a no deal, it's pretty obvious parliament scuppered any chance of a favourable agreement. And May's 'deal' wouldn't have settled anything, it merely gave away 30 billion to tie our hands on future negotiations

Been likened to a Nazi (by a practising Uni professor, which tells you something), been spat on, am regularly in-directly called thick/stupid etc in the office. I say in-directly because (as a lot of Brexiteers I know experience) they all presume no one around them would have voted Brexit.

I'm not denying the combative language used by some on the leave side, but polling shows consistently, and in my own experience - that on a personal level, those on the remain side have much higher levels of hatred and intolerance towards Brexiteers than visa versa. I have many mild-mannered family member brexiteers who have lost friends, through the sheer nastiness they have had directed at them over it.

I'm not saying leave is completely innocent in all this polarisation, it's just galling to have remainers playing the poor victims.

Where's this polling? I'd be interested to see it.

But Remainers are the victims, because ourselves and our families are going to made poorer, and go through more hardship due to the way YOU voted.

You wait until we see the increase in poverty, people on the streets and suicides, and God forbid anyone you know suffers from the hardships that will follow, because personally I'm not sure I could live with being personally responsible for contributing that much to my kids or friends unhappiness.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-remainers-more-bothered-by-differing-views-in-family-poll-shows-h6kh2vrp7

YouGov did it for the Times, was discussed on LBC the other day.

Anecdotally, it very much resonates with personal experience and those of family/friends.

Not sure how you draw the conclusions you have. If you accept the findings, remain voters may interact less with leave voters (than vice-versa) and may be more 'bothered' than leave voters; but it doesn't follow they exhibit greater abuse and hatred towards them - certainly not the types of abuse we're discussing.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexit-remainers-more-bothered-by-differing-views-in-family-poll-shows-h6kh2vrp7

YouGov did it for the Times, was discussed on LBC the other day.

Anecdotally, it very much resonates with personal experience and those of family/friends.

That just means that remainers have become more appalled or bothered by finding out the views that their friends and families have now. Of course less Brexiteers will be bothered that their Remainer brethren being more tolerant of other nationalities (unless they are those manic mouthbreathers we see on the news everyday).

We have friends and family who are now not invited to our wedding at the end of the year, and we will not be planning on seeing anytime soon. We haven't shouted names at them, or been violent towards them, we're just not going to be in contact with them.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Why would we need to threaten no deal if it is the "easiest trade deal in history"?

Fact is no deal still is a possibility, and was the whole time Mrs "no deal is better than a bad deal" May was negotiating. Unless Boris explains his solution to the NI border problem it is an irrelevance because the EU value the integrity of the Single Market over a trade deal with us.

This whole legal circus is just to distract us all from the fact that Boris has no solution to the NI Border. The Brexit that was sold to the public requires a border.

Why did BoJo not stand for the Tory leadership in 2016 ?

Who elected Teresa May as leader, rather than a Eurosceptic ?

Who blew her majority in the 2017 General Election, meaning that a disproportionate influence on Brexit was handed to the DUP ?

Who voted down the WA twice, yet supported it the third time ?

Who threw away a workable minority government by ejecting 21 MPs from the party ?

Who is to blame for the current mess ?

"The Army and police are investigating after a soldier sent an offensive tweet to Labour MP Angela Rayner.

The soldier's Twitter account - which has now been deleted - posted a message swearing at Ms Rayner and saying she "will perish when civil war comes"."

"In the tweet, the soldier said: "17.4 million people are gunning for blood if we don't leave"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49855613

• Lighthouse changed the title to The United Kingdom and the Death of Boris Johnson as we know it.