Burnley vs Saints - Build Up

Yorkshire Saint

very early for a build up thread, should have waited after Koln game.

if we make any new signings after that Koln game, then I highly doubt they will play, so reckon the first 11 for that game will only be anyone we have in our squad as of today.

I think we will play 3 at the back, and look to counter attack with the pace of Redmond/Adams and Ings in the number 10 (and dare I say it, Long (who as a 2nd half sub will be key))

4-2-2-2

Gunn

Valery

Bertrand

Vestergaard

Yoshida (or new cb)

Hojberg ©

Romeo (or new cm)

Redmond

Djenepo

Ings

Che

No way they will all start and I'd be surprised if Djenepo gets on the pitch at all for a fixture like Burnley away. It will likely be JWP or Armstrong in his place.

Couple of thousand sold, couple of hundred left, will sell out early.

Pre-season optimism but good feeling about coming season for a lot of us.

Absolutely. Not only will most our away allocations sell out but I predict this will be the 12th of our 12 top flight seasons at St Mary's when our home gates average over 30,000, which considering our capacity isn't much more than that is pretty good. For comparison, Pompey, who had a capacity in excess of 50,000 for much longer than that, only ever averaged home gates over 30,000 for 7 seasons, the last one being 66 years ago.

Can't wait for us to get started to be honest, no matter what happens this season, I think we can all be confident that Ralph is at least going to play a good attacking brand of fast football. Got tickets for Burnley today, not many left, can't see them playing anything else but their dour, hard to break down style again this season. Old boys coming back to haunt us card, beware the Jay Rodriques and Jack Cork effect...! Thank God Crouchie retired.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Can't wait for us to get started to be honest, no matter what happens this season, I think we can all be confident that Ralph is at least going to play a good attacking brand of fast football. Got tickets for Burnley today, not many left, can't see them playing anything else but their dour, hard to break down style again this season. Old boys coming back to haunt us card, beware the Jay Rodriques and Jack Cork effect...! Thank God Crouchie retired.

Would say we’ve sold just over 1,500 so far, three blocks currently on sale although 2 of these nearly sold out, but 4 other blocks have yet to go on sale

No way they will all start and I'd be surprised if Djenepo gets on the pitch at all for a fixture like Burnley away. It will likely be JWP or Armstrong in his place.

Djenepo still looks very raw to me, I can't see him getting a starting place from the off.

Doubt Djenepo will be starting any games soon, I think he's going to need a few months to get up to speed unless we have some injuries. If he's fit, JWP should be starting after an excellent second half to last season.

Vestergaard's lack of pace is the main reason we needed 3 central defenders rather than 2 last season. Yoshida, Bednarek and hopefully any new central defender should be capable of playing in a back 4.

Agreed, but against a hoof-ball team like Burnley I think he needs to play, if we go with two CBs I'd choose Vest for height and Yoshi for his pace.

Gunn

Valery Bednarek Vestergaard Yoshida Bertrand

Romeu Hojbjerg

Redmond

Ings Adams

Difficult to leave out JWP and kind of expecting him to leave Romeu out, but would personally play him.

Could flex it by dropping one of the forwards for JWP.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ralph played Stephens rather than Yoshida tbh, which would be a shame.

Edited by Saint Garrett

Gunn

Valery Bednarek Vestergaard Yoshida Bertrand

Romeu Hojbjerg

Redmond

Ings Adams

Difficult to leave out JWP and kind of expecting him to leave Romeu out, but would personally play him.

Could flex it by dropping one of the forwards for JWP.

Wouldn't be surprised if Ralph played Stephens rather than Yoshida tbh, which would be a shame.

Like you say harsh to leave out JWP but then unless Burnley switch to playing Barcelona style football, he is likely to be getting a crick in his neck as he watches the ball sail repeatedly over his head.

Think Ralph already has Yoshida written in Biro on his team sheet, he knows his value to defence.

Burnley Preparations likely affected by Maguire to Utd as Leicester are heavily being linked with a move for Tarkowski as a replacement.

Could be good timing for us.

Their transfers this summer have been pretty uninspiring. Confident we can get at least a point here. Three would be nice but rarely do that on the first game of the season!

I can't believe we're going into the first game of the season without a new CB (he says, unaware of the last-minute cunning plan that will shock everyone)

Oh, wait a minute, yes I can, it's like every other window

The outscoring the opposition tactic seems quite high risk, and not something we've pulled off for a while now, but in Ralph we trust

COYS

got a 1-0 defeat to a 92nd minute Ashley Barnes winner written all over it

OR : got a 1-0 defeat to a 92nd minute Jay Rodriguez winner written all over it

Or got a 0 - 1 win to a 92nd Danny Ings winner written all over it. :smug:

Anyone know if Ralph was back at staplewood today? They usually post lots of pics of training during the week. Nothing at all so far.

2 days off after a game which means they start training on Tuesday not Monday.

You therefore won’t see any pics today.

Willing to bet you £100 Ings will not score in Burnley match if you are up for it?
Wrong bloke mate, you're after Heisenberg, he's the resident "cheeky side bet" merchant. Thanks anyway.

Edited by Micky

Do they always have two days off after a game? I could’ve sworn they are usually in training on Monday.

Definitely not if they have been naughty boys and lost on a Saturday with a major brain fart involved :p

Maybe having had a busy month of pre season - its got to the stage where rest is just as as good as training before ramping it back up for the weekend.