New CB?

The problem seems to be that we need to field 3 of them to do the job that 2 competent central defenders would normally do, which leaves us short in midfield, so selling 2 of them and buying 1 competent central defender would make sense.

Who will buy them on their wages? Suppose we do sell them, and can't then get someone decent? What about we get a new one first but can't shift anyone and we're left with 7?

If only it was as simple as you believe.

A word: I don't believe it's simple but, judging from your posts, you may be.

Ooh, you're a touchy fecker. I'm all for sensible debate mate, but your style of getting personal when someone challenges what you post is pathetic. If you really feel that you have a valid point then support it, if not, how about winding your neck in.

Ooh, you're a touchy fecker. I'm all for sensible debate mate, but your style of getting personal when someone challenges what you post is pathetic. If you really feel that you have a valid point then support it, if not, how about winding your neck in.

We don't need a CB, we've got Klarer, who is the best young CB in Europe.

Going to be a cliffhanger late in the window I reckon. We've got to hope someone out there is desperate enough to take Hoedt or Stephens off our hands so we can clear a space for someone decent. On balance think it's unlikely to happen.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It's not Boof, its any apparently (was mistaken as he gave it as an example).

Ok good. Would like to see Boufal given a chance, but maybe not at the expense of signing Upamecano (fully aware that it’s nuts to even think we will). So if we keep him and sign a good CB, zer gut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Perhaps they wanted clarity, rather than reading all that drivel? who are you the forum police?

That's right, let's start a new thread whenever someone wants to ask a general question about a new signing. It's so difficult to do it in an existing transfer thread. Oh look, here's another one. You must be happy.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?61104-Where-are-ITKers-when-wanting-to-hear-cloak-amp-dagger-news-about-our-new-CB-signing-!!&p=2747114#post2747114

That's right, let's start a new thread whenever someone wants to ask a general question about a new signing. It's so difficult to do it in an existing transfer thread. Oh look, here's another one. You must be happy.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?61104-Where-are-ITKers-when-wanting-to-hear-cloak-amp-dagger-news-about-our-new-CB-signing-!!&p=2747114#post2747114

I think you have confused the words 'general' and 'specific' and those words define exactly why both those new threads are appropriate...

The transfer thread is a general thread covering all discussions about rumoured Saints transfers in or out. Meanwhile, there are a number of other more specific threads on specific aspects of Saints transfer business:

* Discussion about Boufal

* Discussion about Lemina

* Discussion about ITK posters

* Discussion about potential CBs we may sign

...and so on...

Now it may be that the admins feel that none of these subjects should be discussed separately. They may decide to force us to only be able to discuss these topics in one big, unwieldy, complicated-to-navigate, general thread or they may wisely recognise that there needs to be some variety of threads as long as we don't have a load of threads all discussing the same specific topic.

Personally I trust the admins to recognise the difference between a specific thread and a general one; and to be able to distinguish between those more specific threads that are significantly different and those that are too similar and which should therefore be merged.

So my question is... What is your problem?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

I think you have confused the words 'general' and 'specific' and those words define exactly why both those new threads are appropriate...

The transfer thread is a general thread covering all discussions about rumoured Saints transfers in or out. Meanwhile, there are a number of other more specific threads on specific aspects of Saints transfer business:

* Discussion about Boufal

* Discussion about Lemina

* Discussion about ITK posters

* Discussion about potential CBs we may sign

...and so on...

Now it may be that the admins feel that none of these subjects should be discussed separately. They may decide to force us to only be able to discuss these topics in one big, unwieldy, complicated-to-navigate, general thread or they may wisely recognise that there needs to be some variety of threads as long as we don't have a load of threads all discussing the same specific topic.

Personally I trust the admins to recognise the difference between a specific thread and a general one; and to be able to distinguish between those more specific threads that are significantly different and those that are too similar and which should therefore be merged.

So my question is... What is your problem?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Well said, some intolerant people forget it is actually a discussion forum for a variety of topics all Saints related.

You don't have to have been on t'net that long to realise that on any subject under the sun you'll get thread drift unless you have an intolerant mod like Mr Kalgushki on Dave's ESL Cafe..

It wasn't so bad in 1994 when I started as bandwidth was so limited everybody took care not to abuse it. A quick 'meh' suffices for me these days, and the odd blocked poster.

If Maguire goes for big money, it would not be surprising to see prices for CB's, particularly domestic ones or PL experienced ones, escalate before the transfer window ends. IMHO, i can see us getting in a late loan deal, similar to when we signed Alderweireld on loan.

Lol I did laugh at ur rant /reply it's a forum u prat ..can imagine you in a bar .. no no we must not start a different discussion now we must finish first one .. get ya head out ur a€€ and stop taking urself so seriously lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

A little odd there's still no news on a CB when the club aledgedly said in several articles it was a first priority, would like to think RH can change hoedt but not too confident

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bertrand left of a back 3 with either Cedric or Vokins left wing back in some games. Not ideal but it gives extra quality, experience and pace back there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bertrand left of a back 3 with either Cedric or Vokins left wing back in some games. Not ideal but it gives extra quality, experience and pace back there.

he played bloody well there too.

If Maguire goes for big money, it would not be surprising to see prices for CB's, particularly domestic ones or PL experienced ones, escalate before the transfer window ends. IMHO, i can see us getting in a late loan deal, similar to when we signed Alderweireld on loan.

...in other words, we've left it too long. Was Djenepo really the highest priority with it looking likely that Boufal will be hanging about and an obvious "sell before buying" policy ?

van Dijk signed on deadline day... Let's see what happens Alpine!

There were plenty of links and build up before that date though, most of the summer - although it ramped up the week before and it was just a matter of time.

There's absolutely nothing going on right now, no links, no build up. zilch. Until we can shift, we’re tied, and this looks seemingly unlikely now. I’m fully prepared to have the same failing centre backs in this side next season, which is less than ideal, but nothing we can do about it. Just need to hope the extra goals help us overcome the inevitable leakiness and weekly errors we will witness.

Lot's of clubs are looking for a centre-back that is the problem, with Maguire gone Leicester are looking for one, as are Arsenal, looking at links as are Newcastle.

If we do get one, I'd reckon its going to be someone who is a bit of a gamble.

There were plenty of links and build up before that date though, most of the summer - although it ramped up the week before and it was just a matter of time.

There's absolutely nothing going on right now, no links, no build up. zilch. Until we can shift, we’re tied, and this looks seemingly unlikely now. I’m fully prepared to have the same failing centre backs in this side next season, which is less than ideal, but nothing we can do about it. Just need to hope the extra goals help us overcome the inevitable leakiness and weekly errors we will witness.

Why is it unlikely? 3 are going out apparently which should give room to bring one or 2 more in before the deadline.

Very much not our ‘type’ but Cahill would have improved our back 4. Looks like he’s off to palace now though.

We’ve lacked a leader since fonte/VvD, certainly think he would have filled a hole for a season or 2

Very much not our ‘type’ but Cahill would have improved our back 4. Looks like he’s off to palace now though. We’ve lacked a leader since fonte/VvD, certainly think he would have filled a hole for a season or 2

He is very much on the decline and I'd rather have Bednarek, Vestergaard or Yoshida. Signing Cahill is not how you improve Saints defence.

Looks like he’s off to palace now though.

He was announced by them yesterday

Very much not our ‘type’ but Cahill would have improved our back 4. Looks like he’s off to palace now though.

We’ve lacked a leader since fonte/VvD, certainly think he would have filled a hole for a season or 2

They guy only made 2 PL appearances last year, is 33 and is costing them £75kpw plus I’m guessing a significant signing on fee and agents fees. It’s actually a huge gamble by Palace IMO.

They guy only made 2 PL appearances last year, is 33 and is costing them £75kpw plus I’m guessing a significant signing on fee and agents fees. It’s actually a huge gamble by Palace IMO.

interesting use of gamble - its not what id want from saints personally but i feel they know what theyre getting with him. Hes older and less games last year so perhaps fitness an issue but really not hada troubled career (if my memory serves me) so maybe not too likely. One good central defender can make a huge difference to a unit and perhaps thats what they feel - bit of general game back line organisation and training ground help maybe too. Like i said its not for me but dont think its quite a gamble when you see the money being spent on other players with really limited experience