Josh Sims - Loaned to NYRB: Official

spyinthesky

Started really well but went missing after that chance. Glad to see he's getting a go, though. Expect that to continue once we're safe.

Don't think he went missing; more that until Romeu came on, Wolves were streaming through our midfield and Redmond, Ings and Sims saw little of the ball. Having said that, bringing Long on at the same time as Romeu was a good move the midfield was strengthened and Long's energy and harassing of tiring players steadied and then turned things around. Sims showed plenty of quality and it's good that Ralph has seen what he can do - he will get better with more game time and confidence.

Without checking, I’d say Sims has played more minutes for us than Moi.

Not sure if this is a typo, I've misunderstood or what but no, he hasn't.

Moi = 701 mins

Sims = 136 this season and 509 in total.

Stats according to fotmob.

Working in Basingstoke, I get feedback from the Reading fans. He got games early in the season, but as soon as their season went pear shaped, the manager wanted to play defensive so he was either omitted or told to just keep possession in games. We all know he is an attacking runner and passer, so Reading's style was all wrong for his game. The Reading fans follow his games with us and wish they still had him.

He needs to kick on from here though and really establish himself in the first team, he's had little cameos in the team before where he's looked really promising but has then fallen out of the picture.

Kind of player we have needed for a long time, with pace, work rate and ability to beat a man.

I feel that with Sims as a starter you lose quite a bit of control and as he is quite raw and often doesn't do the basics particularly well.

Yesterday it was a good tactical decision to start him as Wolves wing backs play high and their CBs are slow so he got in good positions down the sides of their centre backs.

I doubt he will start at Newcastle or Watford though,as we will probably go for the extra midfielder - which we massively lacked yesterday at times. We only gained control of the game once Romeu came on.

Personal opinion is that over the course of a sample more than one game, Sims will make a better sub than starter, especially away from home.

Also whilst he played well, he absolutely fluffed a very presentable chance that could have made the game virtually safe by HT, didnt hit the target with another good chance and also failed to play in Ings for a tap in.

He has many good attributes but IMO lacks composure which will ultimately hold him back a bit as a starter unless he develops it, which he may well do.

Great sub option though for next year and far better than Elyounoussi.

Sims is an ideal Ralph / Poch type young player, who Ralph can teach what he expects him to do , and mould him into a decent player.

Mo is an established player with too many bad habits, set in his ways. Since Poch we have lacked a football coach with the ability to teach and improve young players in what has become known as The Southampton Way.

I wrote him off after his failed loan at Reading.

Lucky that Ralph has forgotten more about the game than I know!

Ditto, although my assessment was also based on seeing him play for us, both in the 1st team and reserves/u23's before and after that Reading spell. I didn't see a premier league player in him but in his matches under RH he's done well. What's surprised me is how he seems to have time on the ball and use it intelligently - he took his time before his ball in for Redmond's first and he put it on a plate.

He has many good attributes but IMO lacks composure which will ultimately hold him back a bit as a starter unless he develops it, which he may well do.

Bit of a catch 22 perhaps? The more game time he gets (i.e. in the starting 11) the quicker he is likely to develop said composure?

I detect quite a lot of unwarranted negativity about Sims based on the caveats and faint praise afforded by most posters on this thread. Let us please give the lad a chance to show what he can do. Maybe we have another Lallana on our hands, he certainly looks pretty good to me based on what we've ha dot endure here in the last few years.

But why? Did you watch him play there?

So many people seem to do this. Good players can have bad spells in places. Some might never recover, some do. Sims always had a lot of talent the club has messed up (or previous managers) not including him. He honestly should have 50 games under his best at least and be Redmond's standard by now.

My reasoning was that if he couldn’t make it in a struggling team in an inferior league, he wouldn’t have a chance here.

Yawn!! he`s doing ok at the moment isnt he
Yes he has done well in the last two games (less so over the last two years), but he is a great example of an attacking player who has never added composure to his game despite years of coaching.

How much did we / are we ****ing up the wall on the transfer fees and wages for Boufal and Elyonoussi when all the time we had Sims (on about 20k per week)? Must be over £40m.

That's a bit of a false comparison as up until none of those three players has been good enough. We needed to spend that money and strengthen in those positions, we just signed the wrong players.

He's been decent in the last 2 goals but by the same yardstick Shane Long is a goal machine. Let's hope he can learn some composure and push on from here, before we start talking about him being the solution to our problems.

But why? Did you watch him play there?

So many people seem to do this. Good players can have bad spells in places. Some might never recover, some do. Sims always had a lot of talent the club has messed up (or previous managers) not including him. He honestly should have 50 games under his best at least and be Redmond's standard by now.

Quite so. I understand it took a while for Ralph to assess Josh Sims given all the "figuring out" he had to do with the squad, but this lad has had the qualities to be a bigger part of Saints squad for some time and it's more of a sleight on Hughes, Pellegrino and even Puel that he languished in the U/23s and then at Reading. It's not just the runs he makes, the space he finds and the ability he has to turn the defence around - in the Spurs game he showed he has a good eye for a killer pass and deft touch. Really pleased for him.

Quite so. I understand it took a while for Ralph to assess Josh Sims given all the "figuring out" he had to do with the squad, but this lad has had the qualities to be a bigger part of Saints squad for some time and it's more of a sleight on Hughes, Pellegrino and even Puel that he languished in the U/23s and then at Reading. It's not just the runs he makes, the space he finds and the ability he has to turn the defence around - in the Spurs game he showed he has a good eye for a killer pass and deft touch. Really pleased for him.

He doesn’t need to think or has already processed what he wants to do. Wind back the clock to the Liverpool semi picks the ball up from the clearance and is running he can see Matip coming and already knows with the speed he is carrying to run across him as any contact it’s a foul, the next move was probably a slight naivety PEH is screaming for the ball to probably take it to the corner, Sims more likely looked at the 2 options and already decided to pass to Long as he was the most likely of the 2 to score and finish the game. No slight on Redmond, by comparison he reaches a point near the penalty area and is still thinking what to do so hesitates, Sims by comparison knows what he is going to do.

One of Ralph’s diamonds for polishing.

He doesn’t need to think or has already processed what he wants to do. Wind back the clock to the Liverpool semi picks the ball up from the clearance and is running he can see Matip coming and already knows with the speed he is carrying to run across him as any contact it’s a foul, the next move was probably a slight naivety PEH is screaming for the ball to probably take it to the corner, Sims more likely looked at the 2 options and already decided to pass to Long as he was the most likely of the 2 to score and finish the game. No slight on Redmond, by comparison he reaches a point near the penalty area and is still thinking what to do so hesitates, Sims by comparison knows what he is going to do.

One of Ralph’s diamonds for polishing.

Exactly this :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting one this. No doubt Josh Sims has made an impact from the bench on a handful of occassions, notably against Spurs last season. But he never particularly seems to kick on from those cameos and doesnt seem to have been overly impressive so far in pre season.

With competition from Redmond, JWP, Armstrong, Djenepo and possibly Obafemi, Elyounoussi and Boufal, does anyone really see him getting many minutes or starts this season?

He is 22, has made probably 15-20 appearances for Saints and about the same at Reading.

In another two years would I see him being a regular starter for Saints? If we are in the PL, I would say no.

If we keep Boufal, then I wonder if we would consider another loan for Sims?

• 2 weeks later...
With the 2 signings we have made and the return of Boufal (hopefully to stay), was hard to see Sims getting much game time, so another loan always on the cards.

Hopefully this will be a good experience for him.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Seems a strange one.

Why not an English club?

He'll get kicked about in the championship, too good for league 1, but not good enough for the prem. It's a decent enough standard and he has enough flair and pace to do well in that league. Makes sense to me.

Don’t think Hasenhuttl ever really rated Sims, only picked him last season because he was one of only about 3 players that could be considered fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real shame, don't understand it. The kids got plenty of talent.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

“Right Josh as you can see it’s a bit busy with quick midfielders” “we want you to have game time so thinking of loaning you out” “so far we have Wimbledon, Barnsley, Rotherham, and Walsall interested” “we also have an MLS team interested means you will be there till Christmas ish possibly”. “If we get injuries you are ready to slip straight back in”

If that was the scenario and options, at 22 I would be asking “where’s my plane ticket?!”.

Also If he does well, he could get a lucrative offer to stay. And in roundabout way adds to the global profile of Saints.

Seems a strange one.

Why not an English club?

Well possibly Saints feel English clubs might let him down, the last few players we have loaned to championship clubs, Sims at Reading and Gallagher at Birmingham, both clubs seemed to go through a lot of turmoil changing managers etc. and the players were in and out of the team.

So maybe moving to the US he'll be considered more of a key player and will have a steadier time and thus has a chance to improve in settled surroundings.

With the 2 signings we have made and the return of Boufal (hopefully to stay), was hard to see Sims getting much game time, so another loan always on the cards.

Hopefully this will be a good experience for him.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yeh agree we are well stocked in those positions.

It is beginning to look like most of that crop of U23 grads is or has been moved on and out - Valery apart - to make headroom for a new generation which benefitted from better leadership at the Academy.

As Ralph has said so succinctly, when you get a chance in the first team you have to show that you belong there by working as a professional should, eating, sleeping and drinking football and putting everything you possess on the line in training until it hurts and then more.

It would be good to see Sims' end of year report and where he has fallen short of Ralph's expectations.

He’s had some good performances, the problem is we’ve had some appalling team performances with him in the side. He was dragged off at half time in that dreadful non-performance at Newcastle and we did improve to an extent second half. Ralph clearly thought he was part of the problem. Since then he’s only had 25 minutes against Watford, when they overrun us as soon as he came on, and a token 5 minutes against Huddersfield.

I think if the club truly believed he’d make it at this level, they wouldn’t have bought Jenny this summer.

Sims has had a couple of very bright performances. his debut against Everton, and last season against Spurs, but he has not really followed them up, that run at Anfield aside.

Soon after the Everton game teams used his lack of bodyweight and strength to ease him out into touch if he tried to dribble past them.

Ralph got him to use his pace to run in behind teams in the U23's and then very succesfully against Tottenham, but he has not really done that in the remainder of the season.

To break through, he really needs 3 or 4 sSpurs like performances in the space of a couple of months.

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-southampton-attacker-in-advanced-talks-to-join-mls-side-for-19-20/

"Southampton winger Josh Sims is in advanced talks to join New York Red Bulls on loan"

Seems a strange one.

The only link I can find is somewhat tenuous in that our goalkeeper coach (Andrew Sparkes) was at New York Red Bull's for 7 years in a coaching capacity, so maybe he's still got contacts there. That said, he left in 2012 so just me clutching at straws really.