Favourite Radio Solent moment

Stud mark of doom

Hmm, the year will become evident from the story......

Final day of the season and I wanted to be at home listening to the game on Solent (tickets were sold out long since)....

The family insisted I went with them to the Weald and Downland Museum near Chichester ....

Then I realised I could use these new things called "ear plugs" and listen to the Radio Solent commentary on the game and STILL be with the family.

Must win game and when Marion Pahars put in that second goal to keep us up, I totally, completely and utterly, 'lost it', dancing for joy round the Open Air Museum, tears in my eyes, shouting "yes, Marion, you beauty, get in" and similar expressions of passion and commitment. Opened my eyes to find not only my aged parents, but my wife and a lot of other museum goers looked at me with complete horror .... but I didn't care.

Probably not the ideal conduct in a PO postcode, but so what.

Thank you Radio Solent !!!

Edited by the saint in winchester

On holiday in northern France and it was the first game of the season.

Sat in the car in Honfleur, I speculatively tried R Solent and was surprised to get a clear signal, so kept popping back to the car for the next couple of hours to keep updated (Mrs ecuk268 was not amused).

All from the mid-90s - the goal sound, John Barrett, Grant Coleman’s weekly Beatles track and the pathos of The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby and the Range (instrumental) to close final results after we had invariably slumped to another defeat.

Edited by shurlock

All from the mid-90s - the goal sound, John Barrett, Grant Coleman’s weekly Beatles track and the pathos of The Way It Is by Bruce Hornsby and the Range (instrumental) to close final results after we had invariably slumped to another defeat.

thats my memories in a nutshell....that bloody goal sound :scared:

Nailed it.

For those tempted malign Dave Merringtons commentaries this coming season, just consider that he will be 75 in January................so treasure his Peals of wisdom and other Gems that he releases onto the airwaves, for when he decides to hang up the mike there will be a big hole in Solents Saints commentary.

For those tempted malign Dave Merringtons commentaries this coming season, just consider that he will be 75 in January................so treasure his Peals of wisdom and other Gems that he releases onto the airwaves, for when he decides to hang up the mike there will be a big hole in Solents Saints commentary.

Dave is a treasure. Love listening to him.

My favourite radio moment relating to Saints predates Radio Five Live. Back in 1984 I was living in London and listening to the Radio 2 Sport commentary on a certain 4th round FA Cup match. I remember the priceless comment from Frank McLintock that he hadn't realised how serious Saints-Pompey games were. But the best bit was late in the second half, when the commentator (Peter Jones?) paused, you could hear the cheers which raised hopes, then he said 'And Steve Moran has scored for Southampton'.

Went out with mates in the evening. I wasn't great company - only one topic of conversation.

I’ve mentioned it before more than once - 1-0 down v Newcastle on 90minutes midweek at the Dell, on the final whistle Saints had won it 3-1!! South Today overlaid the camera footage with the Solent Commentary - not sure who the tater was, but when the whistle finally went the Fire Brigade must have kicked down the commentary box door to hose him down to prevent him spontaneously combusting.

I’ve mentioned it before more than once - 1-0 down v Newcastle on 90minutes midweek at the Dell, on the final whistle Saints had won it 3-1!! South Today overlaid the camera footage with the Solent Commentary - not sure who the tater was, but when the whistle finally went the Fire Brigade must have kicked down the commentary box door to hose him down to prevent him spontaneously combusting.

What a great game that was - think it was the same night the Archers was told to sit down. I had a VHS with the commentary from Solent on South Today but even if I had a player no idea where the video is now. The commentator was Roger Johnson.

Last game at the Dell, Matt's winner. Still have the MP3 of it.

Not Solent, but I was driving into Geneva back in the day and Saints were at Anfield - thought I'd try 909 to see if I could get long wave and sure enough it came through clear as a bell "and over to Anfield where there is an amazing result in prospect" - stomach drops - it's 12-0 or something; "and David Hurst has won this for Southampton!". Nearly crashed ;-)

Nostalgia overload.

Distinctly remember feeling quite chuffed if an evening cup match went to extra time - since I was allowed to stay up until games finished, it was essentially a bedtime extension! Plus it was the beginning of properly falling for football and Saints, so getting bonus time listening to both was a treat.

Simpler times and simpler motivations.

My strongest single memory was following the final game of the 98/99 'Great Escape' season. I was pre-teen, lived well outside Southampton and my parents didn't give a damn about football - so Solent was a godsend. Despite the anxiety of it all the day sticks with me. I celebrated both of Pahars' goals like we'd won the league (for the second, heading out of the house and sprinting down the street!)

Who was maligning him? He's our local treasure! At least he is not the one eating all the pies.

I like the boy, Adam.

Probably Leeds away in 11/12. Listening at home and the tension was unbelievable, especially as I couldn't see the game to assure myself we weren't under siege at that time, and every few seconds Blackmore waxing lyrical about another Kelvin Davis save. Unbelievable drama, and probably even better for it only having the radio commentary.

The fan noise sound effect they used to play to indicate a goal (from any one of the local teams) would strike fear in to my young heart

I desperately tried to find this clip when researching a previous Total Saints Podcast - featuring Grant Coleman.

Sadly, having spoken to a variety of people (including Adam Blackmore), it appears it has forever been 'lost', when Solent converted all their analogue data to digital some years back. It was such a great (and equally woeful!) memory/sound....

Out of interest, for anyone that hasn't heard it but might like to, you can hear me talking to Grant here (from roughly mid-January 2019). He reminisces on those memories working in and around Saints, and the South Coast, during the early-to-mid 90s.

A top/lovely guy!

Here are the Pod links:

SoundCloud: https://bit.ly/2VJssrY

acast: https://bit.ly/2ClySos

iTunes: https://apple.co/2OuQJys

Ben