Anti-pressing rule change..

skintsaint

Link is broken for me too.

But looking at the new rules, i can't see anything that is "anti - pressing"

In fact the only new rule i can see that would be effected by pressing is this rule:

Goal kicks

Under the old legislation, the ball was dead until it left the penalty area after a goal kick was taken.

Now, the ball is in play from the moment it is touched and it can be played before leaving the 18-yard-box.

The change ‘creates a faster and more dynamic restart to the game’ and stops the tactic of wasting time when a defender deliberately plays the ball before it leaves the penalty area knowing that the goal kick will be re-taken.

Think there is a view that the change to goal kicks will make it more difficult to do the early press at a goal kick as the attacking players aren't allowed in the penalty box giving defenders more time to play the ball out as they can be in the area

Pretty sure' date=' as mentioned in some of the comments, that a flick up isn’t allowed? He could just chip it but that would be risky.[/quote']

I think that comes under “using a deliberate trick”. The directive doesn’t specifically include the goalkeeper but it ought to.

They changed the Laws to prevent flick ups many years ago.

I think that comes under “using a deliberate trick”. The directive doesn’t specifically include the goalkeeper but it ought to.

Thought so.

Also, I notice that Vestergaard interpreted the new ‘no offensive players within a metre of the wall’ by standing a metre directly in front of the wall for JWP’s free kick on Sunday. . Not sure that’s what FIFA had in mind.

From the couple of pre-season games I’ve seen' date=' keepers have taken goal kicks literally 2-3 yards to a defender to play out. If anything o think this could make the press more effective when done properly.[/quote']

Agreed, if you know they're going to play short then you have the striker on the 18 yard line ready to press whoever receives it in the box and the two wingers on the corners of the box ready to press from the sides.

Can see the argument for it being a deliberate trick, but IFAB have commented on this since it happened in the Milan - Benfica friendly last week and said it's fine.

Can see the argument for it being a deliberate trick, but IFAB have commented on this since it happened in the Milan - Benfica friendly last week and said it's fine.
The 'flip' was outlawed for free kicks because it wasn't a true kick, you basically lifted the ball up into the air with your toes.

If IFAB have said it's OK then fair enough but I don't really see the point of it all. Why not just let the keeper pick up the ball?

The 'flip' was outlawed for free kicks because it wasn't a true kick, you basically lifted the ball up into the air with your toes.

If IFAB have said it's OK then fair enough but I don't really see the point of it all. Why not just let the keeper pick up the ball?

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the next law change in a few years' time