Red Wine and Arepas: How Football is Becoming Venezuela's Religion - A Book

BARCELONASAINT

Hi all,

My son is currently running a Kickstarter campaign to write a book on Venezuelan football. He was offered a publishing deal described as 'good' and 'the going rate' by other authors he knows, but it was frankly exploitative. He is using the Kickstarter to sell preorders of the book and because he is doing it this way, it has allowed him to be really innovative with how he approaches things.

He's really passionate and knowledgeable about Latin America and football, and has been working very hard every day to put the groundwork in for this book. To date, he has 45 interviewees lined up, which includes: former international managers and players, domestic players past and present, the executive president of the Venezuelan football league, Adelis Chavez (brother of former President Hugo Chavez) who organised Copa America 2007 and is currently club president of Zamora FC, club presidents, and sports ministers.

If you're interested in Latin America or football, check out his Kickstarter campaign here. His target is £5000 and he has already raised £3295 in one week. He tells me he needs to sell roughly 87 more copies in order to reach his target. Kickstarter is all or nothing funding, so if he doesn't hit his target, he doesn't get any of it and everyone keeps their money. You can't lose in backing his project - you either get a book or your money back!

Here's an excerpt of his campaign page:

"Why is a country with a population of over 30 million people yet to qualify for a World Cup, especially one in the football-rich continent of South America?

Uruguay, two-time winners of football's biggest tournament, has a population of under 4 million, yet regularly reach the final stages of the competition. They're also the most successful team in Copa América history with 15 titles. Is there any way Venezuela, a neighbour ten times as populous, can become international football's next big thing?

Red Wine and Arepas: How Football is Becoming Venezuela’s Religion will examine and explore contemporary Venezuelan society through the lens of football, answering questions on the relationship between the sport and politics, culture, and society.

Written with the cooperation of the executive president of the Venezuelan Football League, Rubén Villavicencio, Red Wine and Arepas will feature exclusive interviews with players past and present, such as the 34-times capped midfielder Stalin Rivas, Copa América 2011 player Franklin Lucena, New York Red Bulls midfielder Cristian Cásseres Jr, and Manchester City player Yangel Herrera."

His project has been featured in The Morning Star, in print and online, Mas Reino Unido, the biggest Spanish language newspaper in England, and on multiple online platforms and podcasts. If you want to listen to him discuss his project and talk about Saints(!), click here.

Here's his campaign page, again: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redwineandarepas/red-wine-and-arepas-book-on-venezuelan-football-and-society

(Mods, can you please delete the other thread in The Lounge - I published in haste)

Your son should get in contact with my good friend (and Saints fan) Pete Watson. He is just completing a PhD which looks at the role of football in Colombian culture and politics, and would probably mirror a lot of the same themes and discussions - might be some interesting contrasts. Let me know and I'll put you/him in touch.