The "Deadline Day" Thread

Saint Garrett

How? Probably a deal we've being trying to get over the line and CA going may just have given us the flexibility to do it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I just meant the idea that there's 'no value' in the market. There's always value if your scouting is good enough - and so hopefully this last minute signing will prove!

If Austin (not a huge fee/savings in wages all things considered) was a precondition to getting a deal done, it just shows what constraints we’re working under.

you don't think Austin was on fortune here? West Ham shirked at £100k a week. A tiny transfer fee meant he'd have been on a massive wages. Or did you mean that we probably had to pay him a massive pay off to leave and earn less at WBA, thus reducing the saving we made by offloading him?

you don't think Austin was on fortune here? West Ham shirked at £100k a week. A tiny transfer fee meant he'd have been on a massive wages. Or did you mean that we probably had to pay him a massive pay off to leave and earn less at WBA, thus reducing the saving we made by offloading him?

Some have suggested that...

Well, this is a surprise...! He wasn't on my radar as someone we could sign, but he looks like the right sort.

I imagine at this late stage, it's prob a loan?

Hope it's not a Toby type of loan then, with only a loose option to buy.

You do realise we have been tracking him for many years, the fact that Ralph is Austrian is pure coincidence.

Like we did with Carrillo :lol:

No doubt he’s in our database and some grunt has assembled a bit video footage, as we’ve probably done with hundreds of players (the costs of ‘following’ a player aren’t prohibitively high). Doesn’t mean he was a serious target.

If Austin (not a huge fee/savings in wages all things considered) was a precondition to getting a deal done, it just shows what constraints we’re working under.

Indeed, easy to forget that our last accounts still showed a profit of almost £30m. Since then we've lost some big earners, replacing with much lower-profile signings, and player trading has been pretty much cost-neutral.