The "Deadline Day" Thread

Saint Garrett

Wigan didn't.

Same in 90s really. When United and Arsenal dominated

Good for Wigan. Anyway, it's just my opinion that football in the 90s as a Saints fan was far more exciting than now. You can disagree, as is your right, but I much preferred the 90s.

Unless something remarkable happens tomorrow, I hope Hasenhuttl doesn't get too frustrated with this summers activity. I know we've delivered his two high priority signings, but all signs pointed to bit of a revolution this summer, certainly with outgoings, and it just hasn't happened.

There is a very real possibility that we could have players on £50k+ a week at the club but not even being registered which is a shocking situation for a club of our size to be in.

Agreed. The huge gulf in money and pure greed of many players has taken all the romance out of football. It's definitely sobering when you see Everton and West Ham spending 40M+, the big-boys spending 80M+ and huge wages. Saints don't stand a hope in hell of winning anything. Even if we somehow get through to the Semi or Final of either cup, the likelihood is we get a top 6 side and they play their best players.

Saints nowadays is about trying to stay up and maybe beating a big team on an off day for them. The wins vs Arsenal and Spurs were the highlight of last season, for me anyway.

To be fair OS, in the 53 years that I have been supporting the club staying up has usually been the main aim (with the hope of a good cup run to spice things up).

No doubt but the £14m we spent on him wouldn’t even buy Matt Targett in this window. We need a £30m player to improve our back line not another Hoedt or Vestegaard.
He's a young exciting player with the potential to be great. No reason we couldn't have looked for the defensive equivalent. Wouldn't take much to be better than hoedt in particular.

He's a young exciting player with the potential to be great. No reason we couldn't have looked for the defensive equivalent. Wouldn't take much to be better than hoedt in particular.

What's to say that we didn't look for the defensive equivalent?

We should have looked for ten defensive equivalents and then gone through the list until we got one. Cb should have been the priority for this window and as per the last three windows at least we will be finishing the window with some absolute glaring weaknesses that haven't been addressed. It's this "just about good enough to stay up" mentality that is going to result in our relegation sooner rather than later and the frustrating thing is it's such a waste.

We’ve got one already in Bednarek and just behind him Klarer. £14m would just buy another flawed defender, which is of no use.

If we’re going to draw any conclusions I’d say;

1. The club has more faith in Klarer making an impact than Sims

2. Were in the market for a £20-30m CB but that’s conditional on some serious gardening to the wage bill.

As every transfer window comes and goes a little bit more of my love for the game dies. Not just because more often than not it ends in disappointment for us Saints fans, but it just emphasises the ludicrous amount of money in the game and as long as your club has enough of it you are almost guaranteed a relatively good season.

Players turning up for training in their Bentleys, new signings holding up their new clubs shirt and coming out with the same old dribble, headphones, clutch bags and attutude. The beautiful game has turned very ugly.

Everything thats wrong with football in a paragraph.

Personally I’m calm about our transfer window. It was obvious that it would be tough to remove the overpaid & underperforming players in our squad. We have a couple of additions that have addressed glaring weaknesses up front and a couple of decent players coming back from loan that hopefully RH can turn into decent squad members.

I fully appreciate we are light at CB but overall the squad is good enough and managed well enough to finish top 13 this season IMO. I reckon we could afford to bring in another player if necessary but maybe not at the sort of money that could make a real difference. How much would it really cost for a CB better then maya, vest and Bednarek?

A couple of additions any improve our finish from 13th to maybe 10th realistically so it’s probably worth completing the required surgery on the squad over another season.

Personally I’m calm about our transfer window. It was obvious that it would be tough to remove the overpaid & underperforming players in our squad. We have a couple of additions that have addressed glaring weaknesses up front and a couple of decent players coming back from loan that hopefully RH can turn into decent squad members.

I fully appreciate we are light at CB but overall the squad is good enough and managed well enough to finish top 13 this season IMO. I reckon we could afford to bring in another player if necessary but maybe not at the sort of money that could make a real difference. How much would it really cost for a CB better then maya, vest and Bednarek?

A couple of additions any improve our finish from 13th to maybe 10th realistically so it’s probably worth completing the required surgery on the squad over another season.

Agree glaring issues with pace and goals seem to have been addressed.

If we have to wait longer to address other problem areas that’s understandable.

I know we need a CB but who should we buy considering the ridiculous cash being paid in todays market ?... £80 million for Maguire ffs, he`s decent but not £80 million decent.

Lots on here think it easy to get new cb`s for sensible money, improvements on what we have is very expensive I`m sure

Edited by ALWAYS_SFC

Brighton expected to sign Aaron Mooy from Hudds. Loan with option to buy.

Solid signing.

West Brom in for Austin apparently.

Assuming he passes a medical, I imagine we’re paying a good chunk of his wages but anything they pay is a saving for us.

Adam Blackmore: #saintsfc confident/hopeful that Charlie Austin could get a move today

#WBA strong possibility after earlier interest

Austin, Lemina & Carrillo the 3 senior players not in squad

But the other two (& anyone else) can still get moves abroad until Aug 31st

————-

Adam Leitch: #DeadlineDay hopes at #SaintsFC not high at this stage

- Austin could go but need a late move to get anyone else out

- Interest in players from overseas but their windows remain open so unlikely today

- Without sales can't expect more signings

- Loans expected for some youngsters

You would have thought he would have been the first out the door as he did seem to be a stand out player for them, capable of doing well in better company on the pitch.

And yet he’s gone from a relegated team to one which will likely be bottom 6.

Adam Blackmore: #saintsfc confident/hopeful that Charlie Austin could get a move today

————-

- Interest in players from overseas but their windows remain open so unlikely today

There you go! At least that tweet has come in early.

Thread closed!

————-

How depressing yet predictable. So we expect to get shot of some more players today or before other windows close but don't expect any incomings. I'm sure Ralph will be delighted.

I don't understand the line from Leitch about overseas targets being unlikely because their window remains open. Seems like another excuse for our inability or unwillingness to do what it takes to get deals over the line.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

How depressing yet predictable. So we expect to get shot of some more players today or before other windows close but don't expect any incomings. I'm sure Ralph will be delighted.

I don't understand the line from Leitch about overseas targets being unlikely because their window remains open. Seems like another excuse for our inability or unwillingness to do what it takes to get deals over the line.

He means there is interest in our players from overseas. :lol:

I take that line as meaning there is interest in Carillo and Lemina from overseas clubs but as their windows are still open, they don't need to act today

It is what it is.

Hopefully if we move Austin today, and Lemina and Carrillo before the end of August, it may mean some money available in January.

We could have done with a new CB and DM, but that's what happens if you have been irresponsible with money in the past.

A good football option is to make Lemina stay and try to get him back to his very best so we can cash him in January for 40m.

It is what it is.

Hopefully if we move Austin today, and Lemina and Carrillo before the end of August, it may mean some money available in January.

We could have done with a new CB and DM, but that's what happens if you have been irresponsible with money in the past.

Maybe a loan in Jan. Carrillo shows you by and large what’s available in Jan imo, poor players who’s value is doubled because it’s Jan.

Unlikely _today_. There is not the same urgency, surely you can understand that?
Misunderstood, thought he was referring to us being interested in overseas players. Who we would need to sign today. Apologies.

Alex Crook has confirmed on TalkSport that Austin could be on his way to WBA and not to expect anymore in.

The club are getting stick for not moving players on earlier, but what about their agents? Isnt that their job?

Transfers like this don't happen until the end of windows as it gives the buying clubs the upper hand when clubs want to get rid. It's pretty standard.

Central Midfield is especially worrying for me. Hojbjerg and Romeu, backed up by Reed and Slattery. And that’s if they don’t go out on loan. If Lemina is going, especially after the window closes to Europe, we need another midfielder today. JWP can play there but is better suited further forward. After that we’re looking at youngsters or playing someone out of position.

Very worrying. At least at centre back we have quantity even if the quality isn’t all there. Central midfield is very thin.

Another player still on the books is Hesketh. Loaned out surely? Or with Sims gone, does he have a future here?