Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rate the window - Summer 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Most of us were happy with Hoedt and Moi at the time. So the jury's still out.
    Most of us were not happy with these signings. We were happy we had signed players in these positions. A big difference. They were unproven. Now they are proven but we had no idea that they would prove to be dogsh*t!

I would rate the window 7 out of 10. That’s a kind rating as we have no idea on Denso & Djenepo but the winger sounds exciting but have said that before. Denso must be solid. I trust in Ralph more than our previous scouting in conjunction with Les.

Some interesting football, technical conversations about our midfield protecting the back and I’m inclined to agree, without Ralph favouring Romeu & age & mobility now slowing a once good player for our club. I feel it’s time to be looking at replacing Romeu in DM. Everton have bought superbly and should surely be expecting a top 8 or higher finish with what they’ve spent but they’ve also done some seemingly excellent business. Possibly the best on the league.

Gbamin is a direct replacement for Gueye & is exactly the type of player we should be looking at.
    25 million a very good price too. Everton’s transfer policy is spot on but we would struggle to attract this type of player, sadly. We need to at least have some form of mission statement to inspire the club. Some target of ambition we can sell to young, prospective players. In the academy & from outside. Survival or the offer of a big money move to a bigger club is not a sign of intent. We need a new plan of attack and a dream to aspire to. Much like Markus’ 5 year plan. The spirit we so carefully instilled in the club has stagnated. It needs a fresh injection of passion, performance & pride and that can only be built from within.

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com...eye-psg-latest

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    This. Instead of high-fiving themselves for signing a rookie centre back on the cheap 20 hours after the window closed we should have prioritised an experienced central defender to not only walk into the first eleven but lead and dominate the back line.

Yes understand that wouldn't be cheap but it should have been the priority and it should have felt like the priority all summer.
    This echoes my sentiments exactly. Spot on fella. I’m glad some of us still have high levels of expectation & ambition even if the club seemingly don’t. Everton had the perfect transfer window and whilst they clearly have more money available than us, we should be aiming to compete with teams such as these; Wolves, Watford, Newcastle, Palace & Leicester. Bournemouth should be looking up to us. Sadly, we seem to have swapped positions and the club appear just happy with us to finish above relegation rivals. If not in words, as our club don’t communicate, certainly in action.

Look at Everton’s signings. That’s the level we should aim for. Maybe the Arsenal signing Iwobi a little too much for our current restrictive budget but - much like Royal Mail being sold to a group including the chancellor’s best man - he was undervalued and undersold will clearly move on for a much bigger prices in a season or 2. That’s what we should aspire to. Even if you can’t achieve it with a restricted budget while saddled with overpriced, p*ss poor & unmotivated players as a result of a negligent & incompetent board neglecting overseeing the club management, at least dream big.

Priorities for me at the start of the window were centre back, striker and right back, in that order. Then centre midfield. And I didn't expect us to lose Targett and Lemina.

We signed a striker but it's a big ask for a guy who's never played at this level to be our main goal source. However, I appreciate that signing a "proven" 15+ PL striker is nigh-on impossible so I'm reasonably pleased with the Adams signing.

Djenepo - who knows? Do we need him, especially with Boufal back? If we play JWP deeper to accommodate him then we will be weak in centre midfield. I'm not sure he improves us this season.

Danso - again, who knows but he's a 20 yr old with limited game time. As CB Fry says, I'm not sure he's exactly what we needed.

Maybe this is the best we can do under Gao's "no investment" policy - and seeing as we still have loads of useless over-paid dross stinking the place out - and if they all turn out great then in the long-run it will be an excellent window but it doesn't feel like it at the moment.

4. Default

*Bump as we're approaching the close of the Euro window*

Not sure we can rate it until Christmas when we see how Danso, Moussa and Che get on although it seems some tw8ts have written him off already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Default

Depends largely what you're looking at.

The previous bad signings continue to hamper our ability to sign new ones.

15 players out on loan (not many of which have a future here) - Ralph will be happy the numbers are down, but can't help the feeling we're going to be stuck with a lot of the bad signings for a long while yet.

Lets hope the loan players put themselves in the shop window. One of them at least will hope to have some new YouTube clip for next seasons scouting video.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Thought this was an interesting piece on each PL club and the players they are stuck with because they couldn't shift them before the window closed

https://www.football365.com/news/fro...-even-on-bench

While it doesn't make our situation any better ( I think the piece rather underplays our situation) I think it does highlight that most PL club's have there share of unwanted players either past their best (but unwilling to take a drop in wages) or transfers that just didn't workout.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Thought this was an interesting piece on each PL club and the players they are stuck with because they couldn't shift them before the window closed

https://www.football365.com/news/fro...-even-on-bench

While it doesn't make our situation any better ( I think the piece rather underplays our situation) I think it does highlight that most PL club's have there share of unwanted players either past their best (but unwilling to take a drop in wages) or transfers that just didn't workout.

SOUTHAMPTON
    They shifted everybody on the final day. Ralph Hasenhuttl has his squad.

Am sure Stephens is still here or have I missed something???

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Saint View Post
    SOUTHAMPTON
    They shifted everybody on the final day. Ralph Hasenhuttl has his squad.

Am sure Stephens is still here or have I missed something???
    I think they only count players who haven't played or made the bench so far this season which Stephens has.

5/10 would be 8/10 had most the expensive loans been sold instead especially Hoedt, Moi, Carrillo and Forster

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Saint IQ View Post
    5/10 would be 8/10 had most the expensive loans been sold instead especially Hoedt, Moi, Carrillo and Forster
    Would be 20/10 if we sold that lot.