Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rate the window - Summer 2019

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    Not really convinced this has been good. Signed 2 players who it's debatable if they will be first choices, but should work out well in the future. Can't get excited about Danso, unclear if he is better than what we already have, but promising for the future. I like Adams, clearly going to be an improvement on what we had. Failed to shift one of our 3 first team keepers (so far), meaning we have an over abundance of experienced keepers. Finally, failed to strengthen in CM which is where we appear to be weak. Most of our problems at the back stem from failures by our MF to provide the protection they should. On top of that PEH and Romeu are liabilities in the discipline stakes, losing one or both to the inevitable suspensions could be very costly with no decent cover. We'll see, hopefully Ralph can work his magic but really it hasn't been the window expected, even Ralph said he wanted to get players in very early, which apart from Che we spectacularly failed to do, with Djenepo being one of the latest back from his hols, no time to integrate, and of course even worse with Danso.
    You don't take a player on a season long loan, to train for the future! RH knows his market, and thankfully, he is the manager, and not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    I'd say 8/10

Getting rid of Austin, Clasie, Targett and Gallagher permanently is a reasonable start and I don't think we could have hoped for much better. Happy with the players we've brought in, even if I've seen very little of them before.
    Most of us were happy with Hoedt and Moi at the time. So the jury's still out.

Quote Originally Posted by Neef View Post
    I'm very happy with it tbf. Got the striker, CB and AM that we needed. A RB was only required if Cedric left, so we're covered there. Hopefully Lemina, Moi & Carrilo get moves in the coming weeks too.

One thing I'm happy about is that we seem to have a physically competitive spine again. Danso/Vest/Bednarek at CB. Hoj & Romeu in CM, with Adams, Obafemi, Redmond & Djenepo in attack. For a while we've been slightly weak through the centre of the pitch but it looks like that is starting to be rectified. I think that was definitely part of Ralph's wants for the team. With Lemina going we're slightly light in CM but I'm hoping that gives space for 1/2 youngsters to make an impression - Slattery springs to mind.
    That's a good point. If he stays that's a definite plus for this window.

changing to 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Surely Stephens has to go out on loan now that Danso has arrived, he is so far down the pecking order that unlikely he'll ever get a game here.
    I agree to a certain extent but he's not as much of a defensive liability as Vestergaard is.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    changing to 3/10

changing to 3/10
    After 1 game
    Alpine was/is less negative than you
    Get a grip ffs

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ALWAYS_SFC View Post
    After 1 game
    Alpine was/is less negative than you
    Get a grip ffs
    Fret ye not. I'm sure Batman would have over-reacted in the opposite direction had we taken our first half chances and won the game....

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Surely Stephens has to go out on loan now that Danso has arrived, he is so far down the pecking order that unlikely he'll ever get a game here.
    Straight into the starting lineup

After moving around Kent, Surrey and Sussex have now settled on the edge of Romney Marsh

changing to 3/10
    You really are a reactionary aren’t you? One game and 2 of the signings haven’t played yet.

11. Default

Battle for the Saints no.1 super fan already hotting up...

Think you super fans will be busy if you're going to spend another season getting hysterical about every post that don't say "saints are the bestest"

Quote Originally Posted by sadoldgit View Post
    You really are a reactionary aren’t you? One game and 2 of the signings haven’t played yet.
    Or the fact that Adams coming in is the only change to the starting XI shows what a sh!te window it has been.

I thought this was supposed to be the summer of rebuilding?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gingeletiss View Post
    You don't take a player on a season long loan, to train for the future! RH knows his market, and thankfully, he is the manager, and not you.
    Season long loan with exclusive option to buy though. No one can honestly say or think that KD after about 20 Bundesliga games and St the age of 20 is better than what we already have, even Ralph. Dream on if you think he is going to be the answer to our prayers this season, however good he turns out to be.

Season long loan with exclusive option to buy though. No one can honestly say or think that KD after about 20 Bundesliga games and St the age of 20 is better than what we already have, even Ralph. Dream on if you think he is going to be the answer to our prayers this season, however good he turns out to be.
    He’s 6’3" so as long as he isn’t tectonically slow and gormless, he’s got two advantages on Vestegaard already. Not saying he will be the answer but I’d like to think he’s an improvement. Van Dijk? No. Lovren or Williams? Possibly.

Likewise Adams, if he’d taken that early chance he’d have 50% of Austin’s tally from last year already (and one of them was on an empty pitch).

The club have once again failed to address the sub-Prem standard of central defender position...i.e. without pointing the finger at any one of the present incumbents, we are exposed. It’s been this way for what, three seasons? Sorry, but there is no way this window can be classed as a success, although it must be recognised that past mistakes (e.g.Hoedt, Forster, Carrillo etc.) will take another 2-3 seasons to correct. Whether we are able to sustain Prem status in the interim is of course the key issue - hopefully Ralph can work his magic again.

16. Default

The defence let in 65 goals last season. It was clearly an area that had to be improved. Yesterday the 5 starting defenders were the 5 defensive players that had the most Prem appearances last season.

Nothing had changed. The Club had not brought in one player able to start the season ahead of our woeful 2018-19 defence. It needed to have brought in or promoted from the youth at least 2 starters better than 2018-19.

We let in 3 goals to a team that finished just one point above us. On that basis the Summer 2019 transfer window was a dud.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    The defence let in 65 goals last season. It was clearly an area that had to be improved. Yesterday the 5 starting defenders were the 5 defensive players that had the most Prem appearances last season.

Nothing had changed. The Club had not brought in one player able to start the season ahead of our woeful 2018-19 defence. It needed to have brought in or promoted from the youth at least 2 starters better than 2018-19.

We let in 3 goals to a team that finished just one point above us. On that basis the Summer 2019 transfer window was a dud.
    This. Instead of high-fiving themselves for signing a rookie centre back on the cheap 20 hours after the window closed we should have prioritised an experienced central defender to not only walk into the first eleven but lead and dominate the back line.

Yes understand that wouldn't be cheap but it should have been the priority and it should have felt like the priority all summer.

18. Default

People still underestimating the mess and squad les reed has left us with.

Club has needed to work under a massive handicap all summer and still has c500k a week of wages and £80m of transfers sitting on the sidelines. + the obligation to sign Ings.

Saying the club should have signed an "experienced and dominant" CB but as always no realistic examples of who

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Club has needed to work under a massive handicap all summer and still has c500k a week of wages and £80m of transfers sitting on the sidelines. + the obligation to sign Ings.

Saying the club should have signed an "experienced and dominant" CB but as always no realistic examples of who
    Exceptional stuff. 8/10.

I know people will claim that we couldn't move much because of the players we had on the books already, but....why didn't we prioritise s a CB? Was Moussa really, really necessary as our first signing?

He may turn out to be amazing, but you'd have thought the first priority would have been defence. To me, Moussa was maybe more of a nice to have.

Bit weird really.

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Exceptional stuff. 8/10.
    Never heard of him.

22. Default

Cahill would've been the obvious candidate

23. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Saint View Post
    Cahill would've been the obvious candidate
    Yes fair shout. Could we realistically compete with palace though? Wages c75-100pw and wanted a 2 year contract. He's 34 v soon and played just 22 minutes of PL football last season

Be interesting to see how he gets on at palace and how much he plays

24. Default

Yes fair shout. Could we realistically compete with palace though? Wages c75-100pw and wanted a 2 year contract. He's 34 v soon and played just 22 minutes of PL football last season

Be interesting to see how he gets on at palace and how much he plays
    Agree with all you've said, but think it's a case of getting what you pay for. I know he doesn't fit our 'model' per se in terms of age and re-sale value, but felt he would've been an ideal player to organise and marshall our back line, and that the other players around him could've learned a lot off him. As it is, we've bought young, untried, untested to solve our glaring weakness and can only hope.....

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    This. Instead of high-fiving themselves for signing a rookie centre back on the cheap 20 hours after the window closed we should have prioritised an experienced central defender to not only walk into the first eleven but lead and dominate the back line.

Yes understand that wouldn't be cheap but it should have been the priority and it should have felt like the priority all summer.
    Would of been cheaper than getting relegated!!!

I'll give a generous 4/10.

- We seem to have spent a few years growing a bloated squad of mediocrity, especially in midfield and at CB, and all we shipped out was Austin, **** poor (and our under 23's and academy players seem no worse than what we've bought so what's going on here?).
    - Reed's parting gift of selling us down the river with Ings really winds me up.
    - Is our awareness and planning so poor that we only submit a deal sheet for a loan CB just in time on the last day of the window? The club is paying staff to be on top of this, are they also sub-standard?
    - Not strictly a "window" issue but Rohl's departure will effect us, I feel for Ralph as "no man is an island".

It’s been a ****e window but the club are hamstrung by not being able to shift too many poor high-earners.

Until we get shot of players like Forster, Hoedt, Boufal, Corillio, Mo, Stephens, Cedric etc we are never going to free up enough space on the wage bill for decent replacements.

It’s going to be a good few years before we get over what Les Reed has done to this club, we just have to hope we can stay up long enough for them to see out their contracts.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

I think it's funny people saying rohl is a huge loss. I'll be honest I didn't even know who the bloke was till fitzhugh brought him up this pre season. How does anyone know he was hugely vital to things here?

29. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    I think it's funny people saying rohl is a huge loss. I'll be honest I didn't even know who the bloke was till fitzhugh brought him up this pre season. How does anyone know he was hugely vital to things here?
    A good question. What we do have is an awful defense, this season and last season. Danny Röhl was a defender in his brief playing career. In the coaching team after he left we have 3 former goal keepers....

Absent Danny Rohl is the new Eric Black.

Danny Rohl used to instruct Vestergaard on how to read wind speeds. Clearly missed for the first goal.

A good question. What we do have is an awful defense, this season and last season. Danny Röhl was a defender in his brief playing career. In the coaching team after he left we have 3 former goal keepers....
    but we've already seen an improvement between the sticks so some good has come from it..

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Danny Rohl used to instruct Vestergaard on how to read wind speeds. Clearly missed for the first goal.
    Unfortunately don't think you can coach him head to feet co-ordination very easily. Sometimes you get the impression they are operating in different time zones.

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post

Probably the same people who blamed all our crap performances on Eric Black.

Just for balance:

Many did know who he was, and he and Ralph clearly worked well, as had been at Leipzig together. Rohl knows RH and how he thinks much better than Watson, Davis and Fleming do. He also provided RH with a sounding board and someone he could probably be totally honest with, possibly about the other coaches.

Rohl has gone to Bayern, in an analysis role. Ralph mentioned countless times how important the video analysis is to him. Fair to suggest he might be good at it.

I would suggest none of Davis, Fleming or Watson would be hired by a bigger team than Saints, and two of those are very much novice coaches.

Not saying its a huge issue, but to pretend there would be no impact just because you didnt know who he was, is possibly a little naïve.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

I didn't pretend there would be no impact so you just made that up. My point is firstly that had we beaten Burnley no one would really be mentioning this at all and secondly nobody really knows that it's a huge loss, maybe Ralph didn't want a replacement. I'm sure he contributed but it's all speculation to say thjs is going to make us weaker as we have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    It’s been a ****e window but the club are hamstrung by not being able to shift too many poor high-earners.

Until we get shot of players like Forster, Hoedt, Boufal, Corillio, Mo, Stephens, Cedric etc we are never going to free up enough space on the wage bill for decent replacements.

It’s going to be a good few years before we get over what Les Reed has done to this club, we just have to hope we can stay up long enough for them to see out their contracts.
    I'd add Vestergaard to that list. We should try to get rid of him in January to free up a place in the squad for a new central defender. But, one wonders about the quality of our scouting and recruitment when they waste so much money on so many players who are obviously not cut out for the Premier League.

Blog Entries

Craig Fleming was a defender (and is the replacement for Rohl).

Blog Entries

Who are these people that are saying Rohl is a huge loss? Looks to me like something you have made up.
    He may be a loss, who knows, certainly Ralph was keen to get him in last season, so you'd think he thought he would be a great benefit, especially when he was given a 2.5 year contract. Ralph seems to think that Fleming is an adequate replacement, time will tell, though I'm not sure that Fleming brings the same to the coaching team as Rohl did (they were both defenders in their brief playing days but other than that the comparisons are hard to see).

Exactly. You'd think we signed Sergio Ramos last Thursday, judging by the responses on twitter. Assuming he's picked, the poor bugger is gonna have to **** some miracles from the first minute if he's going to make much difference to that defence.

Spot on!

perfectly put.

perfectly put.
    Last year our attack was ****, last year our defense was ****.

We have added 3 players with pace and skill to that attack (counting Boufal) + we have sold in attack those who had not been contributing.

We have added 1 player to our defense and kept the same defense - i still call that progress.

You can spin whatever way you want, we are clearly not worse off than last year. Our transfer window was adequate on my scale, not perfect but a progress compared to recent seasons.

45. Default

Quote Originally Posted by stevy777_x View Post
    Last year our attack was ****, last year our defense was ****.

We have added 3 players with pace and skill to that attack (counting Boufal) + we have sold in attack those who had not been contributing.

We have added 1 player to our defense and kept the same defense - i still call that progress.

You can spin whatever way you want, we are clearly not worse off than last year. Our transfer window was adequate on my scale, not perfect but a progress compared to recent seasons.
    Last season we conceded 1.7 goals per game. We start off by conceding 3 in one game. I judge it as worse. Let us see what Liverpool bring. Miracles happen.

Last season we conceded 1.7 goals per game. We start off by conceding 3 in one game. I judge it as worse. Let us see what Liverpool bring. Miracles happen.
    Seems like a pretty shockingly small sample size to "judge it as worse" but whatever. After 10 games we'll report back and see how that stat looks on average

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere

Do you still think we have a mid-table League 1 squad?

Blog Entries

In the context of our overall ambition, ie staying up with the minimum of outlay, then should be just enough.

Same as in previous years and a pattern I predicted some years ago.

Miracles happen.
    Any evidence for this?

50. Default

Miracles happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Any evidence for this?
    Us staying up last season.