Squad Numbers

TWar

The squad numbers have been released:

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2019-08-09/southampton-squad-numbers-confirmed-201920-season

1 Alex McCarthy

2 Cédric

3 Maya Yoshida

4 Jannik Vestergaard

5 Jack Stephens

6 Wesley Hoedt

7 Shane Long

9 Danny Ings

10 Ché Adams

11 Mohamed Elyounoussi

12 Moussa Djenepo

14 Oriol Romeu

16 James Ward-Prowse

17 Stuart Armstrong

18 Mario Lemina

19 Sofiane Boufal

20 Michael Obafemi

21 Ryan Bertrand

22 Nathan Redmond

23 Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

25 Guido Carrillo

27 Will Smallbone

28 Angus Gunn

29 Jake Vokins

30 Callum Slattery

31 Kayne Ramsay

35 Jan Bednarek

38 Kevin Danso

39 Josh Sims (on loan at New York Red Bulls until December 31st)

40 Dan N'Lundulu

41 Harry Lewis

42 Jake Hesketh

43 Yan Valery

44 Fraser Forster

45 Sam McQueen

Not much of note, no squad number for Klarer though which is a shame, I suppose Danso pushes him out of the pecking order.

Yes, Marcus Barnes (number 65 last year) is the only omission from the over 21s (other than the players out on season loans). If Saints follow previous seasons' practice, there will be a longer list submitted to the PL to cover Checkatrade Trophy games (are they still the sponsors?) so Barnes may be in that. Or perhaps he's got a loan lined up, which would solve the 25 man squad dilemma as we currently have 26 players aged over 21 (not including Sims who may return in January). That longer list will be published on the PL website, probably this weekend - along with the 25 man squads.

I see that the first team profiles have been updated with the new numbers, albeit Smallbone, Vokins, Danso and Hesketh are missing. And the U23s/U18s are still showing last season's photos (and last season's players in some cases!). Perhaps they're waiting for the new shirts to arrive before they update.

Yes, Marcus Barnes (number 65 last year) is the only omission from the over 21s (other than the players out on season loans). If Saints follow previous seasons' practice, there will be a longer list submitted to the PL to cover Checkatrade Trophy games (are they still the sponsors?) so Barnes may be in that. Or perhaps he's got a loan lined up, which would solve the 25 man squad dilemma as we currently have 26 players aged over 21 (not including Sims who may return in January). That longer list will be published on the PL website, probably this weekend - along with the 25 man squads.

Thanks (as ever) for keeping track of all this. If Barnes is omitted at this stage am I right in thinking he can be swapped in if we sell (for example) Carrillo or Lemina before the euro transfer window shuts? Doubt he'll feature anyway, just curious on how it works.

I see that the first team profiles have been updated with the new numbers, albeit Smallbone, Vokins, Danso and Hesketh are missing. And the U23s/U18s are still showing last season's photos (and last season's players in some cases!). Perhaps they're waiting for the new shirts to arrive before they update.

Note that Sam McQueen is clearly not fit enough to be able to put a current 2019/20 shirt on for his picture. Must be in a bad way, or else they don't have any more shirts to go round.

leasing.com trophy.

(Only saw this the other night when Liverpool U21’s lost to Oldham)

So, Carrillo stays. Looks well pleased in his photo...

Not necessarily, we can still sell or loan anyone to any teams in countries where the window hasn't closed (or in his case League One or Two as well). I suspect we've got at least one over 23 ready to be shipped out to solve our too many players for a squad issue - and we'll find out who it is when the squad lists are published. Carrillo is currently about 5th choice striker plus there are U-23 options who would probably have more impact so I wouldn't be that surprised if he wasn't on it.

Apparently the 25 man squads can be altered up until 2 September, when they are published. So they won't be published this weekend. Clubs have until then to fill up vacant slots with free agents. There must be a good chance that we'll be down to 25 players by 2 September.

By the way, is it just me or is the only way to access the article about our squad numbers through the club's Twitter feed (unless you already have the link set out in the opening post)? I was trying to find the story on the OS but it's not there unless you already have the link.