Burnley 3-0 Saints - Reactions

Lighthouse

Had us down to lose so not surprised. I understand the policy of signing youth but my god we will be placing alot of pressure on a 20 year old to improve our pathetic defence, a big big mistake imho.

We have sadly yet again neglected a shambolic defence, I would have much preffered an experienced CB, and before anyone says that there are none about, we have needed a decent CB for 2 years now, enough time to find one better than the dross we have.

The beds are wet around here this evening. Jesus.

We looked decent and could have scored early on. Adams looked okay then faded.

As the weather got ****tier, and Burnley hoofed more Shakin' Stephens played to form and we made a couple of defensive errors.

It's one game, against a horrible team in awful conditions.

Ralph does not "look lost" without Rohl. Picking Stephens over Maya was a strange decision. Ings looked as he typically did.

It's one game.

How about we have a nice cuppa and enjoy the next 5/6 matches before hitting the panic button?

I used to think that Spuds had the most miserable, negative fans, but it looks like we now have that honour. One game in and already talking about relegation. I suppose we shall have the forum ray of sunshine telling us that Ralph will be gone by Christmas soon too. We always put in some shocking performances. Why should this season be any different? Burnley aren’t an easy side to play against, especially in poor conditions. We have a whole season to go and plenty of time left to wet the bed and slit wrists. Don’t use up all of that negative energy so early in the season.

I mean, we've added a Championship player and two kids - did anyone really expect a massive increase in the quality of performance from basically the same crap squad that have almost relegated us two seasons running?

FWIW I like our three signings, but the fundamental weaknesses remain as stark as ever: we have a bunch of individually horrible centre backs who are somehow even worse as a collective. And there's not a lot of quality on the ball throughout the team to really do much of any worth with our monopoly on possession - and we're presently shipping out midfielders for fun to limit our options further.

I think Vestergaard might even be poorer at defending than Stephens. It's the expectation that at £20m and 6' 6" he might actually be good at something - anything - that constantly disappoints.

Going to be another grim season, folks.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

What a realistic person you are QWERTYELL completely agree

I don't think you can say we looked decent when we lost 3-0 to Burnley.

That doesn't equate. We were even in the first half, maybe shaded a tiny bit. But we still lost 3-0 and that isn't decent by any means. I don't care if we had any decent passages of play, or we looked good at 35 mins. We still lost 3-0, to flaming Burnley.

That is harsh. Gunn did very little wrong
He did nearly gift then a forth goal by completely missing the ball when diving at an attackers feet luckily the shot went into the side netting

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Struggling to work out how Yoshida doesn’t get in ahead of Stephens. Injured?

Would much prefer to see a back 4 with Yoshida and Bednarek, until we work out what Danso is about. And Hojberg back to play alongside Romeu.

I hope that's the last we see of Vestergaard and Stephens but unfortunately it won't be. We need to get Yoshida back and buy another experienced central defender to play alongside him in January.

Terrible defensively - who would ever have guessed? How many transfer windows has that been now where this fundamental issue has not been addressed? And given a full pre-season with Ralf x, y, z will become a good player. Not one player today looked any better/different from last season. The tactics were also completely wrong and not changed during the game to any effect. Can our coaches not coach those players basic defensive principles? Can't really see any positives from today and it also appears as if nobody at the club ever learns any lessons. Three central defenders when using the same three hopeless players doesn't suddenly become any better. Leaders don't suddenly appear when you have no leaders on the pitch. You can't score goals when you have no natural goalscorers and no linking play in midfield. Football is really not such a difficult game but we try very hard to make it look so.

The things that were of concern this time last week or the week before are still a concern. Namely

The centre of defence - I’m not a massive fan of Yoshida but surely he has to be part of a three

JWP as a deep/holding midfielder - if PEH had been fit to start Romeu would have missed out not JWP. If he plays he must be further up field.

No real leadership on the pitch.

Reliance on Redmond

Ings inability to last 90 mins and his limited contribution

Not good, Solent forum might be interesting.

I used to think that Spuds had the most miserable, negative fans, but it looks like we now have that honour. One game in and already talking about relegation. I suppose we shall have the forum ray of sunshine telling us that Ralph will be gone by Christmas soon too. We always put in some shocking performances. Why should this season be any different? Burnley aren’t an easy side to play against, especially in poor conditions. We have a whole season to go and plenty of time left to wet the bed and slit wrists. Don’t use up all of that negative energy so early in the season.
Can you imagine! We play cr*p on the first game of the season and lose 3-0 and soggy used it as an opportunity to get on his high horse and criticise the fans for being unhappy. Who would have guessed???

Just got in the car outside the ground.

O dear...first 20 minutes looked very good. If Che scores then we are away...but then it started to slip. Second half I thought we would come out strong towards some strong support and it just ever started. All 3 goals were a disgrace and highlight the problems of recent years.

Gunn 4 ... poor for the goals and just not commanding enough for me.

Valery 5. Tried his best

Bertrand 5. Ok.

Stephen's 4. Awful second half and moaning and gunn etc to much

Jan 4

Bederak 5 apart from the goals played ok

JWP 5, nice touches but not strong enough cm against a team like burnley.

Oriel 6 solid

Redmond 5. Didn't do much by his own standards.

Adam's 5 being generous .. should have scored early but looked nervous

Ings 5 didn't have much impact but some nice touches

Boufal 5

Obafemi 5

Hojberg 5

Weather 0

Fans 8

Agree with most of this, but would give Redmond a 6. He kept running, working, and trying to make things happen to the end. Ings no higher than 3, did nothing whatsoever, and while I'm one of the ones who believe's Boufal is worth hanging on to, I didn't even see him when he came on.

Typical overreaction on here, in fact mass hysteria at times. Poor performance away to a side notoriously stubborn. Need to just move on and i would start with ditching 3 centre backs if we're conceding goals that easy. Get Danso or Bednarek in beside Yoshida

We never start very well and that performance was far too early to make any real assumptions let alone the reactions on here.

Things will improve, RH will ensure it.

The problem is that it's not isolated, it's not just the first game of the season. The errors and issues are exactly the same we've seen over the last 2 /3 seasons. Mainly because the personal is largely the same.

I'm sure Ralph will improve it, he's a magician in that sense. But I don't think it's fair to just isolate this game as the first game of the season, when the performance and frailties we witnessed were exactly the same as we've seen for many a year. Nothing has changed because it's the same failing bunch.

Typical overreaction on here, in fact mass hysteria at times. Poor performance away to a side notoriously stubborn. Need to just move on and i would start with ditching 3 centre backs if we're conceding goals that easy. Get Danso or Bednarek in beside Yoshida

Had this been away to a top ten side I would agree about the over reaction but Burnley were bloody shocking last season and they have torn us a new one. I would say people have the right to be concerned.

As if a 20 year old Austrian defender signed on deadline day is going to be the answer to our problems?

Which part of this statement makes Danso a bad signing? Is it his age, that he signed on the last day, or that he's Austrian? Had he been Dutch, 24 and signed on the last day, that would be fine, eh? Like Virgil Van Dyke for example.

Anyone else think Valery is massively overrated? Not just going by today because everyone was utter dog sh1te but in general, I honestly don't think he's that good.

Of all the players to pick out for criticism today, he'd be the last I would have chosen. Still work in progress but shows real quality at times and did nothing wrong that I can readily think of. Ings would be my pick today, a complete non-entity. No more effective than Austin was last season.

Don't underestimate the weather, really grim. Reminded me of Cardiff last year. There are some battered Saints fans on the last train out of Dodge city.

Burnley played better and we gifted them three goals. Simple as that.

Stephens was ok, don't get all the hate but Vestergaard was woeful. How does he let the ball bounce over him.... twice.

Completely beaten in midfield and they had Cork who did nothing.

The attack will score goals when they see the ball quicker and more often. The defence will concede less when they aren't under such constant pressure.

Now how on earth are we getting home.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I fear the level of expectation on Danso may lead to some on here being disappointed. Fervently hope I'm wrong but we're asking an awful lot of a 20 year old CB whose previous English experience was with MK Dons to step into the hardest position on the pitch to adapt to, potentially against Liverpool next week, and expect he's going to sort out our defensive weaknesses.......

I’m cooling off a bit but **** we don’t seem to have learned a thing from last year. You look at other teams and wonder why Saints can’t do the same. BHA, three away goals today, Billy Sharp rescuing Sheffield Utd, Villa score at Spurs. Saints would be great if possession of the ball in the middle third was worth points. We seem to be utterly lacking in both the attacking and defensive thirds. Game in game out, even when we win we never do it comfortably.

We were the better team for an hour playing some attractive passing football, Romeu holding the midfield, Valery allowed loads of space on the right and Bertrand and Redmond posing lots of problems on the left. Burnley had only one shot in the first half, and that was high and wide. We had a great strike from Redmond which Pope did very well to save. VAR came to our rescue twice, once when Bambi Stephens slipped allowing them to score, but the linesman rightly flagged it offside and he was vindicated, the second time when a slightly late and high tackle by Adams was deemed not to be a red. The trouble with VAR in such situations, is that it always looks worse in slow motion and perhaps seen in real time it was deemed to be just slightly mistimed with no intent.

Starting the second half 0-0, it looked as if the match could easily end as a scoreless draw, or that we might even sneak a goal, but then a typical Burnley hoof it up the pitch ball caught us out and typically Barnes was the one to score. Having made the breakthrough,they seemed to lift their game, whereas we appeared to drop our heads, resulting in us conceding a couple more times without posing much threat in the remaining time to the whistle, despite Hasenhuttl rolling the dice having brought on Obafemi, Hojbjberg and Boufal.

What was disappointing is that Adams and Ings didn't produce more threat compared to Barnes, our main threat being Redmond once again. I understand that Hojbjerg had been ill during the week, so sensible that he didn't start, but we hadn't missed him for the first hour. When he came on, he almost gifted Burnley a goal with a comical defensive error, so hopefully he is fully recovered when we play Liverpool. Personally, I wonder why we don't play Yoshida instead of Stephens and also I wondered whether Armstrong and Long might have been two players capable of having an impact against a workmanlike team like Burnley. Boufal is a player with good skills, but was almost invisible as he hardly touched the ball since coming on.

Although disappointing to start the season with a 3 goal deficit without response, it is far too early to gauge what Djenepo and Danso might bring to the team.

Decent write-up Wes, although just to correct you on one point... VAR didn't "rescue us" for their disallowed goal in the first half. The goal wouldn't have stood regardless of VAR, because the lino got it right. VAR would only have "rescued us" if the lino hadn't flagged and then VAR overruled his incorrect decision.

No, I don't think that we'll score 8.

:lol:

It would be easy for the usual doom and gloom merchants on here to forecast a hammering from the second best team in the country, complete with their ex-Saints players adding real strength to both their attack and their defence. But for some reason, that is when we provide the shock results, proving a much harder nut to crack than everybody thinks.

Decent write-up Wes, although just to correct you on one point... VAR didn't "rescue us" for their disallowed goal in the first half. The goal wouldn't have stood regardless of VAR, because the lino got it right. VAR would only have "rescued us" if the lino hadn't flagged and then VAR overruled his incorrect decision.

Fair point

Definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Very little change in today’s set up other than more familiarity with system and fitness levels.

We all know the defensive weakness and this just hasn’t been addressed.

If you continue to use only the operational pool of funds sell and hire what you gain. Unless you are unearthing gems and making big funds sooner or later the pool becomes smaller and you start to fail.

We may be ok and am sure will win some but predict another season like last year few more points maybe. I know people will trot out how well Ralph did in the second half of year. Let’s hope he can do that again.

I thought Huddersfield game at end of last season was opportunity to show momentum and change. Again showed mindset.

We weren't anywhere near as bad as the scoreline suggests.

Burnley's goal on 63 minutes was their first shot on target, and it looked to me like the conditions had a huge role in them getting that chance at all.

Before that Adams could easily have scored and Redmond forced a very good save when he cut in from the left byline. Most days you're expecting at least one of them to go in. That happens and we're probably looking at a decent result.

The most disappointing part of today would have to be how we reacted to going a goal down.

Burnley's goal on 63 minutes was their first shot on target, and it looked to me like the conditions had a huge role in them getting that chance at all.

Before that Adams could easily have scored and Redmond forced a very good save when he cut in from the left byline. Most days you're expecting at least one of them to go in. That happens and we're probably looking at a decent result.

The most disappointing part of today would have to be how we reacted to going a goal down.

Best post so far

hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Don't underestimate the weather, really grim. Reminded me of Cardiff last year. There are some battered Saints fans on the last train out of Dodge city.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Agree with that. I think Ralph’s style makes us literally a ‘fair weather team’ unfortunately. And Burnley’s old fashioned grit style suits a wet weekend in Burnley perfectly.

I agree that JWP can’t play a holding role, but I don’t think Lemina is the answer. He’s not exactly a hard working roll your sleeves up type battler is he. He’d have been useless today.

Trouble is that this scenario happens much too often.

Fair

Which part of this statement makes Danso a bad signing? Is it his age, that he signed on the last day, or that he's Austrian? Had he been Dutch, 24 and signed on the last day, that would be fine, eh? Like Virgil Van Dyke for example.

Because we need a decent centre back now, not one who might be good in a few years that we can flog for a profit.

Only one game...

Positives:

Survived monsoon rain in the centre of Burnley an hour before kick off

Personally was really pleased to see Boufal back in a Saints shirt

Valery already looks stronger than last season

Negatives:

We got dicked - out fought and out thought in the second half. Yeah I know it was windy but it was for them too.

No obvious response on the pitch to conceding apart from to concede again

Best midfielder on display was a bloke we sold about six years ago because at that time we had better

I’m putting 20 quid on us beating Liverpool.

Ralph seems happy with the performance up until we went behind. That’s worrying for me. He talks about being nasty. I’m not sure how we will show this with this pool of players. I’m not sure how capable we are of changing things when we need to and that’s why the heads drop. We have very few players who can consistently impose themselves on a game. I don’t believe today will be an exception... hope I’m wrong

Your just as tedious to be fair. It's not just this game today, it's a continuation of what's been dished up over the last few seasons. How refreshing it would have been to start the season on an up but saints never fail to disappoint.

Can you imagine! We play cr*p on the first game of the season and lose 3-0 and soggy used it as an opportunity to get on his high horse and criticise the fans for being unhappy. Who would have guessed???

If you bothered to run what I said through what passes for your brain you would see that I am not criticising fans for being unhappy. I am unhappy. We have every reason to be unhappy about the result and the performance. But to read some posts you would think we were already down after one game. Fortunately there are some reasonably written posts that are well thought out and balanced, but you have to wade through an awful lot of drivel to find them. Oh, and I am not the only one to point this out but thanks for singling me out.

Your just as tedious to be fair. It's not just this game today, it's a continuation of what's been dished up over the last few seasons. How refreshing it would have been to start the season on an up but saints never fail to disappoint.

Really? Optimism is tedious? Ok. Let’s just call it a day now then shall we and not hope for an improvement.

If you bothered to run what I said through what passes for your brain you would see that I am not criticising fans for being unhappy. I am unhappy. We have every reason to be unhappy about the result and the performance. But to read some posts you would think we were already down after one game. Fortunately there are some reasonably written posts that are well thought out and balanced, but you have to wade through an awful lot of drivel to find them. Oh, and I am not the only one to point this out but thanks for singling me out.
I thought you had me on ignore soggy?