Burnley 3-0 Saints - Reactions

Lighthouse

Because we need a decent centre back now, not one who might be good in a few years that we can flog for a profit.

I repeat the question to you. Which part of that statement makes Danso a bad signing? It might be suggestive that his age or lack of experience in the PL could point to his introduction into the campaign early being risky, but nobody knows yet, do they? Neither his age, his nationality nor his being signed on the last day of the transfer window are reasons for thinking that he could be a poor signing, are they?

I repeat the question to you. Which part of that statement makes Danso a bad signing? It might be suggestive that his age or lack of experience in the PL could point to his introduction into the campaign early being risky, but nobody knows yet, do they? Neither his age, his nationality nor his being signed on the last day of the transfer window are reasons for thinking that he could be a poor signing, are they?

I disagree, throwing a 20 year old centre back into the Prem is obviously risky.

Typical Saints signing, might make us a few quid long term, probably do nothing to prevent another season fighting relegation this year.

You mentioned Virgil Van Dyke - at his age he was struggling to break into Groningen's first team.

Edited by aintforever

I disagree, throwing a 20 year old centre back into the Prem is obviously risky.

Typical Saints signing, might make us a few quid long term, probably do nothing to prevent another season fighting relegation this year.

Tbf he wouldn't even have to be that good to be our best cb.

Really? Optimism is tedious? Ok. Let’s just call it a day now then shall we and not hope for an improvement.

Optimism is fine, it's your continuous jibes at posters who tick differently to you. Some of us tend to lose our appetite when the same old sh*te is dished up regularly, you on the other hand can stomach it, good for you.

Just got back. It was Burnley, we got bullied, what did you think was going to happen. First half we were ok, second half until they scored we were ok. After they scored we were all over the place and a mess. Nobody looked very good, subs made no difference.

Optimism is fine, it's your continuous jibes at posters who tick differently to you. Some of us tend to lose our appetite when the same old sh*te is dished up regularly, you on the other hand can stomach it, good for you.

As I said, it is one thing to get ****ed off with a result/performance, another to assume that it is going to be the same every week. Cheer up, we haven’t been relegated yet.

Watching the goals back again they look even worse second time around - what the hell was Vestergard doing with that first, embarrassing Sunday league defending. Bit harsh on Gunn, you often see shots go through keepers legs.

Marking for for the second is a joke, and how the hell did they finish from that angle for the third, I’ll agree that Gunn should have done better with that one.

Just got back. It was Burnley, we got bullied, what did you think was going to happen. First half we were ok, second half until they scored we were ok. After they scored we were all over the place and a mess. Nobody looked very good, subs made no difference.

To be honest, I really thought we'd do what we usually do against Burnley and get a draw and I think a lot of other fans expected that too.This is our biggest defeat against Burnley since we lost to them by the same scoreline in our 1973/74 relegation season.

To be honest, I really thought we'd do what we usually do against Burnley and get a draw and I think a lot of other fans expected that too.This is our biggest defeat against Burnley since we lost to them by the same scoreline in our 1973/74 relegation season.

I would reflect on our best years under Lawie experience mixed with youth maybe if affordable we should have a punt at Cahill and drinkwater to help negate basic errors

every season its the same against Burnley, we dominate possession for 45 minutes to an hour, make them look like a championship side...and then they step it up, we get bullied and they score. Our heads go down, our game plan goes out the window and we all wonder what the **** just happened.

It wasn't the result so much that I was talking about, more the way in which Burnley play. It's a horrible, horrible way to play football but, ultimately if you don't deal with it the better team will loose. For an hour we were better, although both teams were average at best, after they scored we were dire.

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

I think it was the first goal, Bertrand had the ball out on the left just inside our half, he was then closed down, rather than smash it down the line out of trouble he rolled it past the opponent down the line ten yards to an opponent who then started the move that led to I think the first goal. At Everton two seasons ago he did the same thing and Davies got the equaliser when we desperately needed the points. He is an experienced international full back who has played in a winning Champions League final for Chelsea but he has learned nothing from his stupidity at Everton. His wasn't the mistake that caused the goal but his stupidity just giving the ball away cheaply gave an opponent possession and the chance to mount the attack that ended in our net. Somebody in management needs to give him a verbal kicking.

Once in the circumstances of our predicament is unforgiveable, twice is a carelessness that we are supposed from all the publicity to be working hard on. If Bertrand doesn't get this then he needs sorting quickly.

Just to pick up on a few comments regarding Kevin Danso. By all accounts he is quick, 6' 3" and just 14 stones, he is no seven stone weakling. After watching yet again the cluster**** defending of the imposing figure of Vestergaard demonstrating the turning circle of a super tanker who struggles to jump three inches without a clue how to attack the ball decisively, coupled to the ball watching of Stephens we need to leave out and re-educate these two, in the meantime bring back Yoshida and get Danso up to speed as quickly as we can.

Burnley were the better team in all areas of the pitch - the strikers finishing being a clear example. Couple that with a managerial inept team selection by using Stephens over Yoshida (we needed guile and experience at CB to cope with the type of game Burnley play) and the game was set to be a bad day. Seriously, that threesome is not working - don’t do it again Ralph unless we’re playing a L1 team in the cup.

Could be a long season again, but then I honestly didn’t think we had changed enough to be anything more than a lower half team anyway.

The defeat today was a mix of shocking selections, shocking defending and lack of intensity. Like Ralph but got it wrong today although to be left with that nutcase’s signings from 2016-18 that we can’t give away has rather tied his hands.

Vestegaard played like Andreas Jakobson. How can you be that height and get consistently beaten in the air? Useless. Stephens played like Stephens, ball watching and League One standard.

Midfield underpowered with the five at the back so hope Danso up to speed quickly so we can go back to a four at long last. Ings a shadow of the sharp player who joined from Liverpool and it shows you the difference in professional standards to carrotville. Hard for Adams today so wouldn’t judge him too much on that.

Burnley in the wind and rain requires character and we know we haven’t got any of those.

As is Vestergaard and Bednarek. Yoshida is the best we've got and he wouldn't even get in most Premier League sides. We didnt replace Fonte or VvD and that is a fact.

so true

look at the state of the last 2 windows. After the departures in the windows before, we have singed 3 players. 1 played today

The consensus from my living room from four optimistic Saints fans watching the game were that other than Redmond and Valery we were ****, plain and simple, and Burnley were less ****. All that money spent on Ings and Djenepo, with one playing poorly and the other warming the bench, money "spaffed up the wall" as our PM likes to say, it's just slipping through the clubs fingers isn't it and we can't afford it.

I'm concerned that we wasted the pre-season with going to too many countries / splitting up the team / Austin and Lemina probably being a distraction, we're not going to hit our stride for a good few games yet are we. I'm also worried that Ralph is somewhat isolated post Danny Rohl leaving and our coaching team may not be up to the job, a few more loses and he may feel quite fed up with things.

It was a sh*t game and pretty sh*t day, other than the beers and the company. The trains were all f*cked and got absolutely soaked.

That said, the reaction of some people on here is ridiculous. Get a grip- it’s one game ffs.

It's one game this season, but it follows such a familiar pattern from last season.

P!ss poor defending, defensive errors, even poor goalkeeping, falling apart after conceding. These problems were glaring last season yet we start this season in the same fashion and the same characters in the team.

First proper game of the season

I don't know why we target pacey forwards and then pump balls up to one of the best centre back partnerships in the Premier League.

Wind, rain, not an excuse. That's when you keep the ball on the floor and pass quickly and smoothly. We didn't do that. We didn't use our supposed strengths to overcome a team that wanted it more. Second ball retention was poor, their players were even winning the ball sat on the floor.

Putting aside rustiness for the first competitive game

Valery - looked sharper than most and some good covering that was beyond his years, top prospect.

Romeu - won lots of important tackles and showed grit lacking in too many of our team.

Boufal - we need this level of skill, when the game was lost he provided a peach of a ball, best pass of the game, I want to see him start.

And controversial, Long was missed. What happened to pressing and closing down today? We were 1-0 down and started to play as if we were 1-0 up!

Oh, and Obafemi also looked the part after a late substitution.

Need Yoshida, Hojbierg, Boufal in from the start and dare I say Lemina. This game showed that to me.

And yes, I was there...

Watching the goals again Vestergaard could be forgiven for the first. Hard to judge the ball flight in that wind and it seemed to just take off over his head (thinking Boruc versus Stoke). No excuse for the second though, he doesnt even have a look to see where Barnes is. Pathetic attempt to cut the cross out by Valery and JWP. Third goal was preventable too. Apart from the obvious 12 minute period to forget, i thought we did ok. Burnley just took their half chances and coped with the conditions better. We have obviously struggled at CB but DM is worth a mention too. Romeu and JWP is a pish poor midfield duo which just doesnt work. Romeu is too slow and JWP too lighweight. If only we had the luxury of being able to use Danso there because we need somebody just like him - physical, doesnt get bullied, great workrate, defends first. Romeu showed glimpses two years ago but on the most part we've really missed Wanyama and Spiderman

A long journey to get soaking wet and see a total capitulation in second half. Trying to be balanced so...

Positives.....not many, but thought Romeu did well and for the first part of the second half before they scored we actually looked like we were getting into gear. Yes the conditions played a part and undoubtedly helped the more direct style of play, and finally it was the first game of the season and both Wet Spam and Palace have had awful starts in last couple of years and gone on to have good season.

Right now onto the concerns.....felt we looked like a kick and rush team for much of today and got sucked into Burnley preferred type of game. Playing just two cents! midfielders doesn’t help this and I would bring in Hoj for zings next week and play two not three up front. Then there is the defending, truly awful. Errors from Vest and Bertrand for first and third goal, felt Stephens (first) and Gunn (third) could still have helped prevent the final outcome though. And the second goal is truly awful. Old give ball watching. If this is what we see against usually goal shy Burnley then god help us against top six teams.

Finally why is our must reliable defender left in bench? Unless Danso is a twenty year old hero (let’s hope he is) am seriously worried about how we will keep the ball out of the net long enough to chalk up wins.

All in all a very worrying day

Watching the goals again Vestergaard could be forgiven for the first. Hard to judge the ball flight in that wind and it seemed to just take off over his head (thinking Boruc versus Stoke). No excuse for the second though, he doesnt even have a look to see where Barnes is. Pathetic attempt to cut the cross out by Valery and JWP. Third goal was preventable too. Apart from the obvious 12 minute period to forget, i thought we did ok. Burnley just took their half chances and coped with the conditions better. We have obviously struggled at CB but DM is worth a mention too. Romeu and JWP is a pish poor midfield duo which just doesnt work. Romeu is too slow and JWP too lighweight. If only we had the luxury of being able to use Danso there because we need somebody just like him - physical, doesnt get bullied, great workrate, defends first. Romeu showed glimpses two years ago but on the most part we've really missed Wanyama and Spiderman

Exactly this, of all the fuss being made about the first, it is the second goal that was the most concerning for me. I would genuinely lay into a Sunday League centre back who was not tracking the attacker. Vest stood and watched the ball. Utterly remarkable for a professional centre back.

He did nearly gift then a forth goal by completely missing the ball when diving at an attackers feet luckily the shot went into the side netting

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

He saved it at the second attempt, that's why it went in the side netting.

First goal was a wind assisted hoof, was finished well though. 2nd...a great ball in but RB should be telling Vest there is a striker behind him, bit of error from them both there. Third goal RB had the chance to clear but got tackled. Vest didnt have the pace to get back again and when he did didn't really try and block the shot, again both of their faults.

Adams should have scored at the start, got enough on the ball to do so.