Saints vs Liverpool - Build Up

Lighthouse

I thought playing 2 up top and getting rid of Eric black was the answer to all our problems

This is the classic game is to get an early goal contentiously disallowed due to VAR, then Danso to start, look great then get sent off for a late tackle on Salah which is highly debatable where he goes down very easy and us end up losing 2-0 with the pundits purring about how clinical Liverpool are despite playing 120 minutes

Midweek. Usual annoying loss to Liverpool.

A few ex-Saints likely on show tomorrow, obviously VVD and Mane, but Lallana tipped to start, Ox and even Lovren may get a look in if Klippity decides to rest some of his weary soldiers. Don't concede early* and look to take advantage as the game grinds on. (*this bit could be the spanner)

A few ex-Saints likely on show tomorrow, obviously VVD and Mane, but Lallana tipped to start, Ox and even Lovren may get a look in if Klippity decides to rest some of his weary soldiers. Don't concede early* and look to take advantage as the game grinds on. (*this bit could be the spanner)

Let's hope so(lallana & Lovren), would help create a very hostile environment.

A lot of suggestions of Long, given the switch last week I'd say Obafemi is ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment. I would still start Ings personally as I think he does some excellent through balls, which the high Liverpool defence may struggle with, especially with tired legs. My suggested line up is

Gunn

Valery Yoshida/Danso bednarek bertrand

Romeu hojberg jwp

Adams. Ings. Redmond

Drop the 3 atb as it invites pressure and bring in 3 battling midfielders in jwp Hoj and romeu and try to control the center of the park instead

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

I'd rather Long than Obafemi, much more of a nuisance and can physically compete with Van Dijk who'd think twice before going into a challenge with him.

What? Long is about 5'10" and throws himself to the floor is a defender sneezes a bit too loud.

I have no idea where this 'Long is a nuisance' myth comes from. He just runs around, that isn't scary for a competent PL defender. Long played in the 6-1 defeat at City and the defeat at Anfield, when they were 3-0 up at half time, in second gear.

Adrian a doubt for tomorrow now.

Andy Lonergan could be in goal.

"Klopp says Adrian a doubt for Southampton with swollen ankle after being injured by a fan who ran on the pitch during Super Cup final celebrations" would be funny if he was out because of a fan!!

Lonergan should be hopeless in the Premier League. There couldn't be a better chance to beat this Liverpool side, it's all been set up for us.

Whoever is in goal will have nowt to do anyway, they should still comfortably beat us. They have played two games this season, they’re hardly going to be tired.

What? Long is about 5'10" and throws himself to the floor is a defender sneezes a bit too loud.

I have no idea where this 'Long is a nuisance' myth comes from. He just runs around, that isn't scary for a competent PL defender. Long played in the 6-1 defeat at City and the defeat at Anfield, when they were 3-0 up at half time, in second gear.

Long loves a physical battle and goes down after drawing a challenge, his finishing lets him know but in terms of running and putting pressure/ making a challenge he’s good at that.

Mind games from Klopp - to make Saints "favoutites" in the media due to this and take some preassure of his players. Adrian will be in goal tomorrow.

Doubtful that Klopp needs to play mind games when facing us. More likely wondering whether he should play his U23s and give the first team a rest.

So.....

3rd choice GK for Liverpool

Liverpool played 120 mins in heat late Wednesday night

Long travel times

We are at home

We need to bounce back from Saturdays ****e show

Liverpool 1 day to prepare

Could we? Could we just do this?

Won't have a better chance.

So.....

3rd choice GK for Liverpool

Liverpool played 120 mins in heat late Wednesday night

Long travel times

We are at home

We need to bounce back from Saturdays ****e show

Liverpool 1 day to prepare

Could we? Could we just do this?

Won't have a better chance.

All the times Liverpool have played a mid week game and had little prep, they have played 13, lost 2.

We can do this.

Long loves a physical battle and goes down after drawing a challenge, his finishing lets him know but in terms of running and putting pressure/ making a challenge he’s good at that.

No he isn't. Thats a myth from how he used to perform about 6/7 years ago.

He fouls a lot and is always offside, therefore breaking up our attacks and giving the ball back to the opposition.

Can’t do any worse than Norwich. Maybe.

Well we can but we may not.

Might score though, their central defence looks a bit ropey at times as of yet. Don't really rate Gomez myself, Matip makes howlers from time to time as well. VvD can't clean up after them all of the time.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Well we can but we may not.

Might score though, their central defence looks a bit ropey at times as of yet. Don't really rate Gomez myself, Matip makes howlers from time to time as well. VvD can't clean up after them all of the time.

Maybe we should instruct Long to 'do a Vardy' on him.

It's certainly as good an opportunity as any we'll get, but the reality is they probably only need to play well for 25 mins of the game to wrap it up.

We have to play like we did at St Mary's last season, run them into the ground and try and get ahead and hope they don't have the legs to break us down. I just can't see it though, their defence will be so hard to break down, and their big hitters will come on at some point.

Watched the Super cup and paid special attention to the liverpool defence ....they DO have a weakness which i am sure Ralph picked up on .,

They play a high line and at times are static , time and again Pedro and Jorginho played diagonal and straight balls thru them to Mane or Salah running behind them

Can be done

Watched the Super cup and paid special attention to the liverpool defence ....they DO have a weakness which i am sure Ralph picked up on .,

They play a high line and at times are static , time and again Pedro and Jorginho played diagonal and straight balls thru them to Mane or Salah running behind them

Can be done

Blimey, even their own players had a go

Can be done

Eh?

I presume you mean Chelsea players.

I get your point though, Norwich actually caused them some problems last Saturday, they were just woeful defensively basically gifting Liverpool 3 of the goals and putting themselves out of the game. On the balance of play the game was a lot closer than the final score. With a potentially 3rd choice keeper in (who has played 25 games in the last 5 years, mainly at championship/league one level), whoever partners Van Dijk looking a bit dodgy, TAA still having defensive issues and possibly some tired legs, there is certainly a chance of some goals.

Trouble is we have a habit of defensive errors against everyone, let alone good players.

I think we will create chances and maybe if we are clinical score 2, but I am struggling to see us not concede more than 2 at the same time, I think we'll score to look like we might be getting a draw and then concede a silly goal after about 70 minutes to give them the lead and concede a late 4th whilst we are chasing the game.

Is this the outfield 10?

ECFI6ypWwAIZhuM?format=jpg

----------------Gunn

Valery Bednarek Danso Vestegaard Bertrand

-----------JWP Romeu Hojbjerg

-----------Redmond Adams

We need Yoshida's pace. Playing Vestergaard v Liverpool's pacy attack would be suicidal as Mane, Salah et al would run straight past him and score.

Long doesn't throw himself to the ground!! He gets hammered because he puts himself about and jumps very high (as the defender clatters him from behind) He's an expert at drawing fouls. Ask a defender what he's like to play against next time you speak to one :)

Interesting word there. The last game he played 90 minutes of was away to West Ham last year. Yet another Saints performance where we really didn't trouble them all game and despite Long 'defending from the front' they managed to comfortably score three goals and keep a clean sheet.

Football has moved on from the days when Big Sam telling you to 'put a shift in and let him know you're there' might have earned a result. 'keepers are doing Cruyff turns these days, everyone wants to play it out from the back. Long just runs around like a terrier whilst defenders and 'keepers play triangles around him.

I don't know if you were at the Cardiff home game but he got nothing from that ref. and rightly so. When Sol Bamba has you in his pocket, you're in the wrong league.

Interesting word there. The last game he played 90 minutes of was away to West Ham last year. Yet another Saints performance where we really didn't trouble them all game and despite Long 'defending from the front' they managed to comfortably score three goals and keep a clean sheet.

Football has moved on from the days when Big Sam telling you to 'put a shift in and let him know you're there' might have earned a result. 'keepers are doing Cruyff turns these days, everyone wants to play it out from the back. Long just runs around like a terrier whilst defenders and 'keepers play triangles around him.

I don't know if you were at the Cardiff home game but he got nothing from that ref. and rightly so. When Sol Bamba has you in his pocket, you're in the wrong league.

But in one sense that’s exactly what we do (when you boil away the hipster bluff): we press and close sides down -in Hoj’s words “we want to be disgusting to play against”. Of course, you can defend from the front intelligently (i.e hunting in packs and setting traps or whatever the lingo is) or wastefully (as individuals at the wrong times). But Ralph’s sides do have room for a player with Long’s attributes. Indeed Ralph mentioned at the forum that defending better from the front was an important part in resolving our defensive frailties.

Edited by shurlock

But in one sense that’s exactly what we do (when you boil away the hipster bluff): we press and close sides down -in Hoj’s words “we want to be disgusting to play against”. So Ralph’s sides do have room for a player with Long’s attributes. Of course, you can defend from the front intelligently (hunt in packs and set up traps) or wastefully (as individuals). Indeed Ralph mentioned at the forum that defending from the front was key to resolving our defensive frailties.

More concerning with Long is the fact that the image of him running tirelessly and always putting in 100% is also a memory of several seasons ago. He's now just as likely to be standing around with his hands on his hips lamenting as he is dashing uselessly between capable defenders.

Not saying he doesn't still show up and work hard from time to time, but the idea that you can expect maximum effort from him every game is just fantasy at this point.

But in one sense that’s exactly what we do (when you boil away the hipster bluff): we press and close sides down -in Hoj’s words “we want to be disgusting to play against”. So Ralph’s sides do have room for a player with Long’s attributes. Of course, you can defend from the front intelligently (hunt in packs and set up traps) or wastefully (as individuals). Indeed Ralph mentioned at the forum that defending from the front was key to resolving our defensive frailties.

I think any player should be able to play the basics of Ralph’s system. Having the fitness to be able to press as part of a team is a bare minimum IMO. You don’t even need pace to do it really, just good stamina and communication. 10 Hojbjergs and a ‘keeper could play the system, we need attackers with the ability to do something with the ball when we get it.

I honestly think Long takes pressure off if anything. He gives possession away so cheaply, either through poor control or being offside.

I think any player should be able to play the basics of Ralph’s system. Having the fitness to be able to press as part of a team is a bare minimum IMO. You don’t even need pace to do it really, just good stamina and communication. 10 Hojbjergs and a ‘keeper could play the system, we need attackers with the ability to do something with the ball when we get it.

I honestly think Long takes pressure off if anything. He gives possession away so cheaply, either through poor control or being offside.

I thought he was our most dangerous player last season against Liverpool (first half and independent of the goal). He’s decent in the air and good at getting us up the pitch. But I think Adams was brought in to do a similar job and obviously is an upgrade.