Saints vs Liverpool - Build Up

Lighthouse

I think we'll struggle to get anything but it will be a very different game to Burnley.

We need the best pace, mobility and positional sense we can manage in our CBs. I think that means Bednarek and Yoshida with Romeu and Hojbjerg protecting. If it's three at the back (which I wouldn't - too many spaces behind wing backs) I'd be tempted to try Danso. Otherwise (and I await abuse), Stephens ahead of Vestergaard.

Adams, JWP, Redmond plus Ings/Djenepo/Long/Armstrong. Take your pick. Ings isn't firing at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Would be nice to see Danso against Liverpool, according to Hasenhüttl's credo to throw in young players. Danso was in full Bundesliga training and will be eager to help.

huge ask to throw in a rookie and expect him to be the answer

weird signing to be honest

I’m optimistic about this one, it’s early in the season everyone is finding their feet. As a friend who made a lot of money betting on Leipzig when Ralph was there pointed out, the game Burnley play is like Kryptonite to the style Ralph wants us to play in.

I think we need to have Yoshida playing as we looked light in experience and direction on the pitch Saturday, Bednarek plays much better alongside him too, probably because neither have to think too much about what the other is doing. I would say it’s too early for Danso who only turned up to Staplewood on Sunday, if at 20 he was a Mercurial saviour straight out of the box for our creaky defence a) Ausberg wouldn’t be loaning him to us b) we couldn’t afford to be sitting at the negotiating table for him. (Hey happy to be proved wrong on this).

Ings is a funny one as he is good at directing traffic when not on the ball up front, Burnley fans gave him a warm cuddly welcome and he went soft, so here we are another ex club - this one made him rich, see if he goes soft with them after Klippety has given him a hug on the sidelines.

One thing is for certain come 5pm on Saturday night we are going to have a better idea of if the Ralph Revolution pre season is actually working, or whether we are needing to prepare ourselves for yet another slow motion car crash.

----------------McCarthy--------Gunn----------------------

-------Bednarek-----Forster -----Yoshida---Dancer------

Valery------------Romeu------Hojbjerg------Bertrand

------------------Long----------------

Not a bad shout! I'd probably play Forster back between McCarthy and Gunn though.

----------------McCarthy--------Gunn----------------------

-------Bednarek-----Forster -----Yoshida---Dancer------

Valery------------Romeu------Hojbjerg------Bertrand

------------------Long----------------

That should do it just hope that the 3 in the back 6 nail down who’s turn it is to handle the ball otherwise we could be down to 9 in no time :p

I know zilch about Danso so his inclusion depends on how fit he is and how much he will blend in this week. Liverpool aren't going to lump it long and high, they're going to ping it around. We don't need vestergaard's height (not that he wins much in the air anyway) and Stephens is crap in the air. We need defenders who are quick and mobile and can read the passes. Do we have any? I'd go with Bednarek and Yoshida (Or Danso).

I'd play 4231 with Hojbjerg and JWP in cm, Long right, Redmond centre, and maybe Armstrong left. Adams up front. Wide men need to track back and go with runners.

I think we'll struggle to get anything but it will be a very different game to Burnley.

We need the best pace, mobility and positional sense we can manage in our CBs. I think that means Bednarek and Yoshida with Romeu and Hojbjerg protecting. If it's three at the back (which I wouldn't - too many spaces behind wing backs) I'd be tempted to try Danso. Otherwise (and I await abuse), Stephens ahead of Vestergaard.

Adams, JWP, Redmond plus Ings/Djenepo/Long/Armstrong. Take your pick. Ings isn't firing at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Agree with that. Vestegaard would get skinned again and again as Liverpool are hardly going to be firing crosses in, and Vesty wasn't any good on those Saturday either. Yoshida is a must and I'm sure RH will have learned from Saturday's balls-up. Much as I don't rate Stephens, he is quicker than Vesty (along with 99% of the forum tbf) and it could shred Danso's confidence if we get a real chasing. Maybe Danso as a sub if Liverpool have eased off at say 0-3 to help settle him in?

Ings has looked a shadow of the player that joined last summer and I'm not buying the 'he's lost his pace' etc etc, he had it when he joined. RH needs to find out what he was doing in Liverpool training that worked for him. Being left out might be motivation to get the standards back.

I just hope it's going to be more like the battling display we saw in the spring with Long's early goal (would definately play him if fit) and not other recent games V them where Liverpool score early, revert to testimonial pace and the players await swapping shirts at the end.

Agree with that. Vestegaard would get skinned again and again as Liverpool are hardly going to be firing crosses in, and Vesty wasn't any good on those Saturday either. Yoshida is a must and I'm sure RH will have learned from Saturday's balls-up. Much as I don't rate Stephens, he is quicker than Vesty (along with 99% of the forum tbf) and it could shred Danso's confidence if we get a real chasing. Maybe Danso as a sub if Liverpool have eased off at say 0-3 to help settle him in?

Ings has looked a shadow of the player that joined last summer and I'm not buying the 'he's lost his pace' etc etc, he had it when he joined. RH needs to find out what he was doing in Liverpool training that worked for him. Being left out might be motivation to get the standards back.

I just hope it's going to be more like the battling display we saw in the spring with Long's early goal (would definately play him if fit) and not other recent games V them where Liverpool score early, revert to testimonial pace and the players await swapping shirts at the end.

Actually with Robinson and Alexander-Arnold they fire lots of crosses in.

Still don't want vest to start though.

Obviously the smart money's on a loss but I fully expect at a bare minimum to see a big improvement on Saturday. RH isn't going to put up with standard a second time running.

If we go at them with the bit between our teeth I can see a close loss or even with a bit of luck a draw.

Bednarek + Yoshida in central defence please. Also if you play Long on his own up front you won't score - Adams & Ings up front for me please.

Obviously the smart money's on a loss but I fully expect at a bare minimum to see a big improvement on Saturday. RH isn't going to put up with standard a second time running.

If we go at them with the bit between our teeth I can see a close loss or even with a bit of luck a draw.

Bednarek + Yoshida in central defence please. Also if you play Long on his own up front you won't score - Adams & Ings up front for me please.

2 up front against Liverpool would be daft.

I'll be happy with a draw. We have the pace if it is applied properly and to be honest I wasn't too impressed with Liverpool against Norwich on Friday night. It won't be easy but at least we don't have to put up with the biased 12th man now.With Hojberg and Yoshi in on Saturday and 110% effort we can gain our first point. Liverpool are not invincible.

I’d play a high (quick) front 3 to try and limit the threat from the 2 full backs and pack 3 in the middle as they’ll play 3 in there as well.

GK

Cedric yoshida Danso or Hoedt Bertrand

JWP/Armstrong Romeu Hojberg

Djenpeo Adams Redmond

Not fussed on keeper as both as good/average as each other

Cedric due to his pace against Mane / Orgi

Wouldn’t touch Stephens or Vest so not sure Hoedt could do much worse?

Djenepo unknown quantity, but quick and raw, good for counter

Drop ings as he’s sh!te.

Burnley's style + wind defeated us, beside a few individual mistakes. Most of the other teams, like Liverpool, play a different style which makes it easier for us. It will be hard to defeat us this season, harder than last one, so I suppose.

One thing is for certain come 5pm on Saturday night we are going to have a better idea of if the Ralph Revolution pre season is actually working, or whether we are needing to prepare ourselves for yet another slow motion car crash.

On Saturday I’m fearing a 180 mph car crash.

I’d play a high (quick) front 3 to try and limit the threat from the 2 full backs and pack 3 in the middle as they’ll play 3 in there as well.

GK

Djenpeo Adams Redmond

Drop ings as he’s sh!te.

Bednarek?

GK

Djenpeo Adams Redmond

Drop ings as he’s sh!te.

So a change to a 4 from a 3 at the back, with 3 changes of players, 1 of then to a returning Hoedt or a debutant 20 year old, and dropping Bednarek who was the only CB who emerged from Burnley game with any credit. I know we all differ in opinion, but that's nuts.

So a change to a 4 from a 3 at the back, with 3 changes of players, 1 of then to a returning Hoedt or a debutant 20 year old, and dropping Bednarek who was the only CB who emerged from Burnley game with any credit. I know we all differ in opinion, but that's nuts.

Don’t rate Bednarek, think he’s just the most average from a very bad bunch and in the past he has been v poor in a 2. Yoshida is quicker and imo would be better suited to deal with their front 3.

Danso, who knows. On the face of it he appears to have the qualities we need (pace/power).

Vest and Stephens imo are unselectable, so it’s a toss up between Hoedt or Bednarek...

Don’t rate Bednarek, think he’s just the most average from a very bad bunch and in the past he has been v poor in a 2. Yoshida is quicker and imo would be better suited to deal with their front 3.

Danso, who knows. On the face of it he appears to have the qualities we need (pace/power).

Vest and Stephens imo are unselectable, so it’s a toss up between Hoedt or Bednarek...

I'm with you on the last part, Vest is shocking and Stephens just not a PL player. Can't agree on Bednarek though, he's decent and if we're going 4 at the back then I'd pair him with Yoshida who should be playing. The new lad may be decent, but a debut as part of a new back 4 against Liverpool is no time to experiment.

Cedric in a 4 is a no from me. Although he has pace, his lack of height would be a major issue, especially of he's marking Origi. Alexander - Arnold would ping crosses to that back post all afternoon.

Think Bednarek looks decent because he's not as bad as Vestergaard and Stephens, where the fact is more than he's probably not at the level required to be a premier league defender, or if he is it's only just.

Bednarek's positioning, reading of the game, heading, and defensive instincts are all at a good level.

He'd be a really good defender if we set up like Burnley or a Fat Sam team. If we want to play out from the back he's probably not quick enough or comfortable enough on the ball to play in a back four.

The fact the no one has seen him play is a concern in itself, but I suppose there's only one way of finding out. Good luck to him if he gets the nod.

Those who made the decision to buy him, I assume, have seen him play. The point is that some people here just seem to want the worst to happen. Remember how Mane was slagged off when he first started?

Doesn't matter whether we play Gunn or McCarthy, they'll not have a save to make.

Liverpool are a one man team - Stephens will have Salah in his pocket so we can then exploit their slow fullbacks and get crosses in to the middle of their defence where they're really weak.

With about 75% possession we will definitely create chances.

Boufal to get a hat trick in a lung-busting box-to-box MoM performance in the style of Roy Keane or Graeme Souness.

Bednarek's positioning, reading of the game, heading, and defensive instincts are all at a good level.

He'd be a really good defender if we set up like Burnley or a Fat Sam team. If we want to play out from the back he's probably not quick enough or comfortable enough on the ball to play in a back four.

He doesn't read the game well at all, which is why he is always getting caught wrong footed and having to make last ditch tackles or hoofs into the stands.

He's still much better than any of our keepers though.

The fact he was released by West Ham suggest he isn't. He is worse than Mignolet IMO and easily worse than Gunn or McCarthy.

But we have to actually trouble him which is the real issue which means possession near their goal and getting past Van Dijk.

The fact he was released by West Ham suggest he isn't. He is worse than Mignolet IMO and easily worse than Gunn or McCarthy.

But we have to actually trouble him which is the real issue which means possession near their goal and getting past Van Dijk.

If he's as bad as everyone thinks then we can just pop a few in from 25 or 30 yards, no problem. Exploit their weakness and nullify van Dijk. #tacticalgenius #frontsweeper