Our opening day record...

Sunglasses Ron

... must be one of the worst out there?

I’ve supported Saints for 28 years and can recall 3 wins (I think)...

Coventry away (1-0)

Leeds home (3-0)

West Brom away (1-0)

I may have missed 1 or 2 from our blackout period but that’s like 2 top flight wins in about 20 seasons?

Last time we lost on the opening day we were 3rd at Christmas, just saying. :)

What? You mean we weren't relagated after a poor first game of the season performance...? Bizarre....

You can try to be positive but there’s a distinct problem within the club inherited since Puel’s tenure and we can’t shift it.

We’ve been weak for the past three seasons. We look dodgy every time we face an attack. We struggle to score goals.

Narrow 2-1 defeat against a side that nearly won the league in the previous season or a 3-0 thrashing against a team who were in the relegation battle the previous season.

Good comparison.

Fair point! (just realised it was the Liverpool away game that season in which we peformed well! Note to self: research before posting you tart! )

BBC featured our terrible stat today...

Slow-starting Southampton

Southampton made a slow start to their Premier League campaign as they were beaten 3-0 by Burnley at Turf Moor. But it should come as no surprise for Saints fans as they have not won their opening league fixture since 2013-14 when they beat West Brom 1-0.

Southampton have a miserable opening Premier League weekend record with only two wins in 21 attempts - a winning return of 9.6%.

Southampton made a slow start to their Premier League campaign as they were beaten 3-0 by Burnley at Turf Moor. But it should come as no surprise for Saints fans as they have not won their opening league fixture since 2013-14 when they beat West Brom 1-0.

Southampton have a miserable opening Premier League weekend record with only two wins in 21 attempts - a winning return of 9.6%.

Our premier league opening record is bad but the 7 seasons we spent outside the prem were no better.

Opening day results were:

Wolves(h) 0-0

Derby (a) 2-2

Palace (h) 1-4

Cardiff (a) 1-2

Millwall (h) 1-1

Plymouth (h) 0-1

Leeds (h) 3-1

= 6 points, would equate to 44 points over a 38 game season.

This football club seems to have a real problem hitting the ground running.

I remember a 4-0 win over West Ham in the late 80s' date=' with Paul Rideout getting 2 on his debut.[/quote']There was also a Colin Clarke hat trick on opening day against QPR wasn't there? 5-1 I think, probably a few years before the abysmal record kicked in.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

And even 2013-14 took a last-minute penalty...

I remember a 4-0 win over West Ham in the late 80s' date=' with Paul Rideout getting 2 on his debut.[/quote']

Followed by two more wins and then being 2-0 up at (eventual champions) Arsenal with less than 10 mins left.

Yep, top of the league after 3 games and 2-0 up vs Arsenal in game 4. Then Paul Davis chinned Glenn Cockerill and got away with it, the rest is history...

Edited by OttawaSaint

There was also a Colin Clarke hat trick on opening day against QPR wasn't there? 5-1 I think, probably a few years before the abysmal record kicked in.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My god that was a long time ago I was 16 years old then (now 50) remember running on the pitch from under west stand in front of QPR fans and then getting chased all the way to the bus station scary silly behaviour, glad I am on fart in the Kingsland now

Leeds was 3-1 for the record, they got one back at the end. Max Gradel penalty if I remember rightly?

For some bizarre reason we had a Bee in the bonnet to change our holiday coming home plans and instead of stopping in France for the Friday night drove the 926 miles home from the Costa Brava to make sure we were in SMS for the lunchtime Saturday kick off (we weren't alone in our madness as friends we made from being Saints fans were staying at the same place and pulled the same daft stunt!!) anyway I digress..........

The penalty was pretty soft, the ball came into the box bounced up hitting Aaron Martin under the back of the arm he had no idea where the ball was, ref blew without even pausing