Billy Sharp

Stud mark of doom

Billy is the opposite to Charlie for me.

He was a top guy to have around the place. At the time....it was probably the right call to let him move on when we were promoted. We already had Lambert, Guly and had signed Mayuka (yeah, amazing..!) and Jay.

So, he wouldn't have seen much time. We were clearly aiming for a level slightly higher than Sharp. But he did his job and repaid the fee without question. Got no problems with him and he will always be part of my fond memories of that promotion winning team.

Billy Sharp was a massive reason as to why we came back up. Those 9 league goals in 15 appearances in the second half of the season meant that we weren't solely relying on Lambert, who bagged 27 in the league (wow).

We knew Sharp would bring goals in the Championship when we signed him and he delivered. Those were the days when we signed the better players for the league we were competing in.

He was a top guy to have around the place. At the time....it was probably the right call to let him move on when we were promoted. We already had Lambert, Guly and had signed Mayuka (yeah, amazing..!) and Jay.

So, he wouldn't have seen much time. We were clearly aiming for a level slightly higher than Sharp. But he did his job and repaid the fee without question. Got no problems with him and he will always be part of my fond memories of that promotion winning team.

Whilst I agree with you that we were aiming high when we sold him, it will be interesting to see how many goals he scores in the Premier League this season. He is a hugely popular player wherever he goes and I wish him well.

Indeed.

When Sheff Utd come to town I'm sure he'll get a proper welcome, rather than moronic booing - the choice of simpletons.

There are players who deserve that, he ain't one of them.

Always gave everything.

totally agree well said that fan.

His 2 goals against the blue few does it for me. Got treated unfairly by the board and wasn’t even given a chance until yesterday.

Surely if he was a PL striker some club would have bought him.

Most PL teams are crying out for a regular goal scorer

I was one of Billys biggest cheerleaders and felt he deserved a chance in the prem with us.

His record for us (and every club) was fantastic. He had earned the chance

At the time the club (some fans) had an unhealthy obsession for Guly - think that same season he played 28 scoring 0!! :lol:

Good thread this. Whose this Glasgow_saint guy that posted so much sense?

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?41978-Billy-Sharp&highlight=Sharp#.XVB2YSTTUlQ

Interesting that people claim he was never a Premier League quality striker. Aside from the fact he was 7 years younger than he is now who honestly thought Lambert would push on the way he did, or Fonte, or Schneiderlin...etc etc. There’s every chance Sharp could have made the step up, he has the one quality any striker needs to succeed and that’s knowing where the back of the net is.

I really hope he has a great season, was a huge part of our promotion and deserves a great reception on his return.

Interesting that people claim he was never a Premier League quality striker. Aside from the fact he was 7 years younger than he is now who honestly thought Lambert would push on the way he did, or Fonte, or Schneiderlin...etc etc. There’s every chance Sharp could have made the step up, he has the one quality any striker needs to succeed and that’s knowing where the back of the net is.

I really hope he has a great season, was a huge part of our promotion and deserves a great reception on his return.

Well, Nigel Adkins for a start. He let Sharp go and kept the others.

I echo this. Sharpy played a massive part in getting us back to the top flight. I hope he has a great season too and I for one will defintley give him a great reception when he returns on the final day of the season :)

Well, Nigel Adkins for a start. He let Sharp go and kept the others.

Although the cheerleaders on here won’t agree that was down to our CEO at time. Little fella, now chairman of AC Milan, you must remember him

Anyway, he thought sharp couldn’t cut it in the premier league so decided to sign some fella from AFCON, Mayuka was his name, great player, going to bang them in, because some agent in Zambia told him so. So sharp was out Mayuka was in. We all now how it turned out. But The little Italian fella was a master scout, tactician and transfer guru so this one must be down to someone else.

More so, if my memory serves me correctly, it was a goal from Sharp that sealed promotion for us. I really hope that our supporters give him a good reception when Sheffield U come to St Mary's.

More so, if my memory serves me correctly, it was a goal from Sharp that sealed promotion for us. I really hope that our supporters give him a good reception when Sheffield U come to St Mary's.

I’m sure they will. He was very popular here and in football generally. One of those player most people would want to do well.

• 6 months later...
Scoring goals in the prem

who’d have thought

Yep, smashed in his fourth of a prolific season.

He'll pop up with the odd goal but he's a poacher and nothing more, you can't carry that sort of player in the prem unless your aim is solely to avoid relegation.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

He'll pop up with the odd goal but he's a poacher and nothing more, you can't carry that sort of player in the prem unless your aim is solely to avoid relegation.

Or qualify for Europe.

I’m sure they will. He was very popular here and in football generally. One of those player most people would want to do well.
He got a lot of love from us up at Bramall Lane so I have no doubt he will get the same at SMS.

Lol, have you seen their league position?

:lol:

He got a lot of love from us up at Bramall Lane so I have no doubt he will get the same at SMS.
He was on the pitch for 5 minutes and then got sent off, hopefully the same on the last day of the season.... [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Unless we keep picking Long?...................think about it really?..............................................................

So basically Sharp has the same number of goals as Long, Adams and Obafemi COMBINED this season, but is only worth having if you want to fight to stay up!?