Saints Greatest XI - Nominations For Best RB.

St Landrew

Ivan Golac for me followed by Mick Mills

There is an easy nomination (although he has become a bit of a cult hero too):

IVAN GOLAC

Oh crikey, did I miss that one..? :)

Me too peeps. Ivan Golac - The best right winger Saints never had. Isn't that how the old phrase goes..? And I'd have Mick Mills as my other number 2 as well. But only the top nomination gets taken notice of here. Poor old Mick might end up as everyone's second choice..! ;)

Very tempted to nominate Alf Ramsey but I have no idea how good a player he was - I doubt that he was better than Ivan Golac anyway.

I can't remember C B Fry either!

The very two players I cited as probably being RBs [although apparently CB Fry was a little lightweight, being more technique than brute force]. We know they won't get a look in. Neither will Charlie Wayman in later threads. However, we salute them, in any case.

Edited by St Landrew

i have a video of golac's goal. Outstanding. However he was before my time. Dodd dominated the last twenty years, there's also van gobbel, kenna, baird, jesus etc etc

judging by other replies on this thread, i'm not nominating as i'm led to believe the best right backs were pre-1990.

I think the first right back I saw was Joe Kirkup but in my time, 3 stand out: Ivan Golac, Jason Dodd and Mick Mills. Although probably the least talented of the trio, because of longetivity and consistent performance over 10 or so years, my vote goes to Dodd (just).

I remember back to Joe Kirkup's latter days and I agree with the 3 you singled out, plus I think Jeff Kenna deserves a mention.

I never thought Golac was that sound defensively, so wouldn't choose him. Mick Mills was always an excellent footballer and was instrumental in turning around the team after KK, Mick and one or two others left.

I'd vote for Dodd, though. Until his legs went in his latter years, he was a very consistent defender who rarely had a bad game, but also contributed lots going forward and created many goals from his overlapping runs. Also a good captain, I thought.

I remember back to Joe Kirkup's latter days and I agree with the 3 you singled out, plus I think Jeff Kenna deserves a mention.

I never thought Golac was that sound defensively, so wouldn't choose him. Mick Mills was always an excellent footballer and was instrumental in turning around the team after KK, Mick and one or two others left.

I'd vote for Dodd, though. Until his legs went in his latter years, he was a very consistent defender who rarely had a bad game, but also contributed lots going forward and created many goals from his overlapping runs. Also a good captain, I thought.

Amazing how peoples perceptions and view vary.

I respect your view from whatever you have witnessed etc but for me Kenna was one of the most over estimated players we have ever had,and it disappointed me he seemed to set back Dodd's progress.I was amazed and delighted we got £1.5m for him.

Mills,yes he did an excellent if unspectacular job for us at a difficult time.

Dodd,agree he was a good captain and offered a lot but in terms of tackling and going forward he was nowhere near Golac.

Golac's going to get it, and probably by a landslide, but in my view he shouldn't. Fantastically entertaining player, terrific going forward, excellent crosser of the ball, scored one astonishing goal (I was at that game and can still see it now). But defensively? Not too great, especially away from home, where his tendency to bomb up the right wing often left us sorely exposed. Not a great tackler either, always as likely to take the player as the ball (or miss the tackle altogether).

Golac is without doubt a true Saints legend. But as a right back Mick Mills was in a different league.

The best right backs for me were Jason Dodd, Ivan Golac, Mick Mills and Steve Mills.

I think Steve Mills would have become the best and Ivan Golac was certainly the most skilful. Jason Dodd was a good competitor too.

My vote though goes to Mick Mills, one of our many England captains at the time, a great leader and versatile too.

Probably the best right back was Alf Ramsey, an England international at Saints, then a Spurs regular. Bill Ellerington was an England Right back at the same time for Saints. This allowed Ramsey to be sold to Spurs.

Probably in the poll as the above won't be remembered, the classiest was Mick Mills, closely followed by Ivan Golac, Jason Dodd was fair by comparison. Stuart Williams was a classy veteran by the time he came to us.

The worst probably Mark Wright v Watford at the Dell in the League Cup home leg.

ALF RAMSEY Yes, I did see him and anyone who saw him would surely vote for him, his most famous days were with Spurs but he was in the England team while still in the 2nd div with us, don't ignore our World Cup winning manager just because it was all so long a go!

Anyone remember Jo Tessem at rb Dave Jones signed him as Doddseys competion/ replacment JT won mom on debut then told whole world had never played rb before as was attacking mid who only once played cb which happened to be match DJ saw

Yes. He marked Ginola out of the game.

In this order for me:

Ivan Golac (who should walk this by a country mile)

Mick Mills (past his best, but he captained England in Espana 82 a few months before we signed him)

Jeff kenna (wasn't really around long enough, but no doubt a quality player)

Jason Dodd (A great stalwart)

Peter Rodrigues (A legend, particularly at parties, although not loads of matches!!!!)

Gerry Forrest (steady as they come, but 100 or so games again)