Maya Yoshida to make season-long salary donations to Saints Foundation

Saint-Armstrong

Maya Yoshida:

I've been here seven years now and I have got a lot from the club and the city of Southampton, so I think it's time for me to give something back to them.

This season, I am going to put one per cent of my salary to Saints Foundation.

I decided to make this donation because I like to see the Saints Foundation helping the local people in a positive way. The best way to do that together, is with the Saints Foundation.

What a top guy. No one would ever think to donate a whopping 1% of their salary to charity, no wonder he felt the need to big himself up on social media.

I believe that 1% equates to £26,000 over the year, which ain't too shabby. Probably thinking bigging himself up on social media might pressure some of the others to do likewise.

He'll be remembered as an average footballer who always gave 100%, loved the club and is an absolute gentleman off the pitch too.

I say he's an average footballer, people mistake the word "average" for "poor" these days. I do just mean it as, if you were to rank the best CBs in the league, he'd probably be somewhere near the middle. We're lucky to have someone of "average" quality who is happy to come in, be a squad player for a club like ours. I certainly can't think of any better 3rd/4th CB outside the big boys.

To be honest, all the (senior) players should be doing this, each and every year.

Agreed.

According to this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city our wage bill is now £113m

Some players are earning some horribly big wages and they could all spare 1%

1% from everyone and the foundation gets £1m+

Fair play to Yoshi for leading the way. Hopefully more follow.

To be honest, all the (senior) players should be doing this, each and every year.

Well, that’s quite judgemental. None of us know what the circumstances of each player are or, for that matter, what they donate away from the spot light. I agree it would be great if they did, but it’s their choice.

You might also say everyone should donate 1% of our income - it would make a huge societal difference and many of us wouldn’t notice. The government might help by allowing charitable donations to be tax deductible up to a certain level - provided they’re for charities I agree with.

Well, that’s quite judgemental. None of us know what the circumstances of each player are or, for that matter, what they donate away from the spot light. I agree it would be great if they did, but it’s their choice.

You might also say everyone should donate 1% of our income - it would make a huge societal difference and many of us wouldn’t notice. The government might help by allowing charitable donations to be tax deductible up to a certain level - provided they’re for charities I agree with.

For calling me judgmental you should be giving 2%.

Erm why? No one should be forced to donate ANYTHING out of their wages. Wages are something you earn. Regardless of whether the general public thinks you're overpaid, that's what your employer has decided you're worth and it's YOUR money.

Erm why? No one should be forced to donate ANYTHING out of their wages. Wages are something you earn. Regardless of whether the general public thinks you're overpaid, that's what your employer has decided you're worth and it's YOUR money.

Good lad

Who said they should be forced to donate?

I think it is a moral responsibility for those earning a lot of money to give something back to the society in which they earnt it.

Agreed.

According to this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2019/may/22/premier-league-finances-club-guide-2017-18-accounts-manchester-united-city our wage bill is now £113m

Some players are earning some horribly big wages and they could all spare 1%

1% from everyone and the foundation gets £1m+

Fair play to Yoshi for leading the way. Hopefully more follow.

We have a mathematics wizard among us.

I think it is a moral responsibility for those earning a lot of money to give something back to the society in which they earnt it.
Philosopher Peter Singer argues this pretty robustly in 'the life you can save'. Although according to the text Yoshida has made a start but would need to be closer to the 20% mark (if tax deductable) to hit his moral obligation. It's an interesting book nonetheless

Sent from my CPH1835 using Tapatalk

Philosopher Peter Singer argues this pretty robustly in 'the life you can save'. Although according to the text Yoshida has made a start but would need to be closer to the 20% mark (if tax deductable) to hit his moral obligation. It's an interesting book nonetheless

Sent from my CPH1835 using Tapatalk

An absurd hypothesis. The best way to address the support of charities is to add 1p to each rate of tax and earmark the revenue specifically for this purpose, set in law and beyond the reach of elected and unelected officials.

What a top guy. No one would ever think to donate a whopping 1% of their salary to charity, no wonder he felt the need to big himself up on social media.

What a very disingenuous reaction to what is now days a very rare positive gesture from rich players. One he did not have to make to a city he is not local to. It is also I would hazard a guess 1% more than you or I have made to Saints foundation! And is a large sum from a Top footballers wage. if every player at the club did that this season it would probably exceed a million quid!

If he wanted self promotion i can think of many other ways in which he could have spent the 30k far more effectively

Well done Yoshi I say you are a star!

No limit, but higher rate taxpayers can only claim the difference between the basic rate and their marginal rate, so not as tax efficient for high earners as you migh expect.

Isn’t that because the basic rate relief goes direct to the charity? When I did the maths a few years ago I’m sure all the tax was effectively repaid by the government - some back to me (the difference between your marginal and basic) and some to the charity (basic rate).