Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 82 of 82

Thread: Gasworks Pub.

  1. #51

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    What is the capacity of the Gasworks Bar?

  2. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Anyone heard anything about the Alfred reopening? Friend of mine swears he heard it talked about at the Liverpool game but I can't see it. Real shame, loved it in there pre-match.
    I would think there's absolutely no chance. It's been shut for years now, so I'd imagine the income from Saints matchdays can't outweigh the cost of running the place for the rest of the week.

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Airport
    Posts
    870

    Default

    5 Rivers on Bevois Valley Rd. Best kebabs in Soton, decent beer, full of Saints fans, lots of screens, 10 mins walk to the ground. Job done.

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Haven't tried "our" pies, but did have one at B&HA last August. Was the highlight of the evening (as well as being quite good).
    Anything has to be a step up from Pastry filled with Slurry badged Pukka Pies.
    The burger offering has widened too although I donít fancy having a go at the Northam Burger which I think is a double burger the ones on their own are thick, meaty and dense, trying to squeeze 2 and topping and a bun in your gob could be quite a challenge - seems the only rook with hot food on the concourse is a Hot Dog.
    I would hazard a guess that they have been listening to the comments made on the endless surveys they sent out last season with regard to the standard of concourse fare.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Anything has to be a step up from Pastry filled with Slurry badged Pukka Pies.
    The burger offering has widened too although I donít fancy having a go at the Northam Burger which I think is a double burger the ones on their own are thick, meaty and dense, trying to squeeze 2 and topping and a bun in your gob could be quite a challenge - seems the only rook with hot food on the concourse is a Hot Dog.
    I would hazard a guess that they have been listening to the comments made on the endless surveys they sent out last season with regard to the standard of concourse fare.
    If I have to eat, its usually just a hot dog from the van in the car park on the Northam/Kingsland corner. Not the foot long one for £5, but the slightly smaller, slightly better one for £5. BUT.... if the pies are as good as B&HA one's I might try them. Bloke in front of me always used to buy a Chicken Balti Pukka, which given the smell......! He seemed a bit miffed that they were no longer on sale, but thank God for that.

  6. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Anyone heard anything about the Alfred reopening? Friend of mine swears he heard it talked about at the Liverpool game but I can't see it. Real shame, loved it in there pre-match.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevegrant View Post
    I would think there's absolutely no chance. It's been shut for years now, so I'd imagine the income from Saints matchdays can't outweigh the cost of running the place for the rest of the week.
    My brother-in-law knows a developer who's mentioned to him a few times that he's working on plans to re-develop and re-open the Alfred. I can't see it happening myself and there's no activity to suggest something is likely to happen in the immediate term. However, we now have a friendly 'wager' on whether or not it will happen. Will post if I hear any more.

  7. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Do people who regularly go buy programmes? I can't remember the last time I did.
    It used to be part of the match day experience and the one constant in all my years of going to Saints has been people grumbling about the price of a programme. I rarely buy one now and it does not generate the same excitement with my son as it did with me. Where did it go wrong?

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov View Post
    It used to be part of the match day experience and the one constant in all my years of going to Saints has been people grumbling about the price of a programme. I rarely buy one now and it does not generate the same excitement with my son as it did with me. Where did it go wrong?
    Think as has been mentioned already; when it went to A4 size most who bought it as a matchday habit for years bought the first, realised how big and impractical it was and decided £4 in their pocket was better than the personal inconvenience it caused having to carry it all through the match. Of course it looked very nice and big on the tables in hospitality.
    I still buy one on away games and tuck my ticket inside when I get home, (all A5ish)...............................might help ward off Alzheimers in my dotage by kindling the memories.

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov View Post
    It used to be part of the match day experience and the one constant in all my years of going to Saints has been people grumbling about the price of a programme. I rarely buy one now and it does not generate the same excitement with my son as it did with me. Where did it go wrong?
    I normally but a programme (god knows why at £4 a pop) but part off the ritual.

    Sold out for the Koln game and also for Liverpool despite me getting there half an hour prior to KO!!

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Katalinic's 'tache View Post
    My brother-in-law knows a developer who's mentioned to him a few times that he's working on plans to re-develop and re-open the Alfred. I can't see it happening myself and there's no activity to suggest something is likely to happen in the immediate term. However, we now have a friendly 'wager' on whether or not it will happen. Will post if I hear any more.
    I suspect, but more than happy to be told otherwise, that the Council at the behest of the police, would probably impose a condition of the licence that it be closed on match days.

  11. #61

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Anything has to be a step up from Pastry filled with Slurry badged Pukka Pies.
    The burger offering has widened too although I don’t fancy having a go at the Northam Burger which I think is a double burger the ones on their own are thick, meaty and dense, trying to squeeze 2 and topping and a bun in your gob could be quite a challenge - seems the only rook with hot food on the concourse is a Hot Dog.
    I would hazard a guess that they have been listening to the comments made on the endless surveys they sent out last season with regard to the standard of concourse fare.
    I’ve never really understood the reason why people need to stuff their faces at football anyway. The only times it’s remotely acceptable is a lunchtime kick off game where I appreciate some people might have been in the pub from 11 or gone straight to the ground. For your standard 3pm or 7.45pm kick off WTF do people feel the need to eat as much as possible as soon as they get near the ground? You don’t decided on a working day at 3.45 to nip down to the burger bar down the road so why do people need to do it at half time, especially when the food is by and large utter crap. Same with an evening game, 7.45 or 8pm is pretty of time to eat beforehand if you really have to. It’s no wonder we’ve got so many fatties in our fan base when they stuffing their faves every weekend with poor quality burgers, hot dogs and beers. SMS is a diabetes epidemic waiting to explode, they should start playing videos of various diets and the danger of obesity inside SMS at half time rather than the pointless entertainment, it might at least save a few lives.

  12. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    I’ve never really understood the reason why people need to stuff their faces at football anyway. The only times it’s remotely acceptable is a lunchtime kick off game where I appreciate some people might have been in the pub from 11 or gone straight to the ground. For your standard 3pm or 7.45pm kick off WTF do people feel the need to eat as much as possible as soon as they get near the ground? You don’t decided on a working day at 3.45 to nip down to the burger bar down the road so why do people need to do it at half time, especially when the food is by and large utter crap. Same with an evening game, 7.45 or 8pm is pretty of time to eat beforehand if you really have to. It’s no wonder we’ve got so many fatties in our fan base when they stuffing their faves every weekend with poor quality burgers, hot dogs and beers. SMS is a diabetes epidemic waiting to explode, they should start playing videos of various diets and the danger of obesity inside SMS at half time rather than the pointless entertainment, it might at least save a few lives.
    This.

    "FFS, It's 2:55pm, let's stuff as much cholesterol and saturated fats down as we can, before we have to wait until 3:45pm to do it again"

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    I’ve never really understood the reason why people need to stuff their faces at football anyway. The only times it’s remotely acceptable is a lunchtime kick off game where I appreciate some people might have been in the pub from 11 or gone straight to the ground. For your standard 3pm or 7.45pm kick off WTF do people feel the need to eat as much as possible as soon as they get near the ground? You don’t decided on a working day at 3.45 to nip down to the burger bar down the road so why do people need to do it at half time, especially when the food is by and large utter crap. Same with an evening game, 7.45 or 8pm is pretty of time to eat beforehand if you really have to. It’s no wonder we’ve got so many fatties in our fan base when they stuffing their faves every weekend with poor quality burgers, hot dogs and beers. SMS is a diabetes epidemic waiting to explode, they should start playing videos of various diets and the danger of obesity inside SMS at half time rather than the pointless entertainment, it might at least save a few lives.
    rather depends on how far you've had to travel to get to the game. You seem to be assumoing that all the fans come from close around Southampton. For an evening game I have to leave work before 5pm.

  14. #64

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    rather depends on how far you've had to travel to get to the game. You seem to be assumoing that all the fans come from close around Southampton. For an evening game I have to leave work before 5pm.
    So would I, plenty of places to get something much better then a microwaved burger that’s been sitting in a kiosk for hours.

  15. #65

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Right here, right now
    Posts
    1,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    I’ve never really understood the reason why people need to stuff their faces at football anyway. The only times it’s remotely acceptable is a lunchtime kick off game where I appreciate some people might have been in the pub from 11 or gone straight to the ground. For your standard 3pm or 7.45pm kick off WTF do people feel the need to eat as much as possible as soon as they get near the ground? You don’t decided on a working day at 3.45 to nip down to the burger bar down the road so why do people need to do it at half time, especially when the food is by and large utter crap. Same with an evening game, 7.45 or 8pm is pretty of time to eat beforehand if you really have to. It’s no wonder we’ve got so many fatties in our fan base when they stuffing their faves every weekend with poor quality burgers, hot dogs and beers. SMS is a diabetes epidemic waiting to explode, they should start playing videos of various diets and the danger of obesity inside SMS at half time rather than the pointless entertainment, it might at least save a few lives.
    But surely they all burn up those excess calories roaring on their team, singing their hearts out and making SMS that intimidating fortress that opposition players and fans alike fear to enter.

    Then again ......

  16. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wurzel View Post
    But surely they all burn up those excess calories roaring on their team, singing their hearts out and making SMS that intimidating fortress that opposition players and fans alike fear to enter.

    Then again ......
    I think it just makes them sleepy.

  17. #67

    Default

    Is the gasworks still down in Northam? Phew 'ow i remember those pongs...

  18. #68

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Ampshoire - where else?!
    Posts
    6,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post
    I’ve never really understood the reason why people need to stuff their faces at football anyway. The only times it’s remotely acceptable is a lunchtime kick off game where I appreciate some people might have been in the pub from 11 or gone straight to the ground. For your standard 3pm or 7.45pm kick off WTF do people feel the need to eat as much as possible as soon as they get near the ground? You don’t decided on a working day at 3.45 to nip down to the burger bar down the road so why do people need to do it at half time, especially when the food is by and large utter crap. Same with an evening game, 7.45 or 8pm is pretty of time to eat beforehand if you really have to. It’s no wonder we’ve got so many fatties in our fan base when they stuffing their faves every weekend with poor quality burgers, hot dogs and beers. SMS is a diabetes epidemic waiting to explode, they should start playing videos of various diets and the danger of obesity inside SMS at half time rather than the pointless entertainment, it might at least save a few lives.
    Spoiling for a rematch?! - Do you really want to go there all over again???

    Your observations are based on poor assumptions, that everyone lives round the corner from SMS and has time to stand in a pub from 11am on a Saturday Matchday.
    If only it was so cut and dried as your perfect scenario plays out. Mid week game I have been a work all day get home get changed and back out of the door as much before 6pm as I can drive down the M3, by the time I have parked in Southampton and walked to the ground it will be 7:15......... now outside of your assumptions mid week especially I am not alone in this scenario as you see the usual suspects who have been equally held up on the M3 or the edge of the city........and guess what after a full day of work and then travelling to football most of us are ready for a bit of food......we would much prefer to eat with a bit more civility......... and as I said all those years ago when we went over this you buy food at football with your eyes wide open to the quality and the cost. When we did have this discussion before you questioned my motives at to why I was maligning the Southampton Football Club food offering, well I have to say for the last 2 season the burgers have been locally sourced and what I would consider to be a well constructed Burger for the money, of a quality I have found on my plate in a nicer pub/ restaurant at £14+
    I totally agree with you on the half time shopping - 25 minutes to go and get a beer and stuff your face - and miss 10 minutes of Football!!
    Driving to watch the Saints from outside of the city does put a different slant on the reasons to purchase food on the concourse or wherever. I use to much prefer midweek finishing early ambling into Southampton and having a pre match Supper in Cove on Shamrock Quay before it closed.
    Last edited by John Boy Saint; 21-08-2019 at 12:47 PM.

  19. #69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Spoiling for a rematch?! - Do you really want to go there all over again???

    Your observations are based on poor assumptions, that everyone lives round the corner from SMS and has time to stand in a pub from 11am on a Saturday Matchday.
    If only it was so cut and dried as your perfect scenario plays out. Mid week game I have been a work all day get home get changed and back out of the door as much before 6pm as I can drive down the M3, by the time I have parked in Southampton and walked to the ground it will be 7:15......... now outside of your assumptions mid week especially I am not alone in this scenario as you see the usual suspects who have been equally held up on the M3 or the edge of the city........and guess what after a full day of work and then travelling to football most of us are ready for a bit of food......we would much prefer to eat with a bit more civility......... and as I said all those years ago when we went over this you buy food at football with your eyes wide open to the quality and the cost. When we did have this discussion before you questioned my motives at to why I was maligning the Southampton Football Club food offering, well I have to say for the last 2 season the burgers have been locally sourced and what I would consider to be a well constructed Burger for the money, of a quality I have found on my plate in a nicer pub/ restaurant at £14+
    I totally agree with you on the half time shopping - 25 minutes to go and get a beer and stuff your face - and miss 10 minutes of Football!!
    Driving to watch the Saints from outside of the city does put a different slant on the reasons to purchase food on the concourse or wherever. I use to much prefer midweek finishing early ambling into Southampton and having a post match Supper in Cove on Shamrock Quay before it closed.
    I do a 140mile round trip for every home game and don't feel the need to eat at the ground or the burger vans outside, i just leave a bit earlier so i have time to grab food in the pub where it's better.

    Mind you i do the train not the road and the football is only really part of the day anyway.

  20. #70

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,397

    Default

    I do a 4,000 mile trip (8,000 round) for each home game and I don't eat for 24 hours before or after.

  21. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    Is the gasworks still down in Northam? Phew 'ow i remember those pongs...
    What's left of it is going soon. Ample space then to expand St Mary's to accommodate all the extra fans that the rise of the club will soon generate.

  22. #72

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hackedoff View Post
    What's left of it is going soon. Ample space then to expand St Mary's to accommodate all the extra fans that the rise of the club will soon generate.
    We march on! We march on!

  23. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hackedoff View Post
    What's left of it is going soon. Ample space then to expand St Mary's to accommodate all the extra fans that the rise of the club will soon generate.
    I think you missed the reference

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jmKyYrGkTk

  24. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    I think you missed the reference

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jmKyYrGkTk
    This little gem has somehow passed me by. My life is now a little richer !

  25. #75

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Spoiling for a rematch?! - Do you really want to go there all over again???

    Your observations are based on poor assumptions, that everyone lives round the corner from SMS and has time to stand in a pub from 11am on a Saturday Matchday.
    If only it was so cut and dried as your perfect scenario plays out. Mid week game I have been a work all day get home get changed and back out of the door as much before 6pm as I can drive down the M3, by the time I have parked in Southampton and walked to the ground it will be 7:15......... now outside of your assumptions mid week especially I am not alone in this scenario as you see the usual suspects who have been equally held up on the M3 or the edge of the city........and guess what after a full day of work and then travelling to football most of us are ready for a bit of food......we would much prefer to eat with a bit more civility......... and as I said all those years ago when we went over this you buy food at football with your eyes wide open to the quality and the cost. When we did have this discussion before you questioned my motives at to why I was maligning the Southampton Football Club food offering, well I have to say for the last 2 season the burgers have been locally sourced and what I would consider to be a well constructed Burger for the money, of a quality I have found on my plate in a nicer pub/ restaurant at £14+
    I totally agree with you on the half time shopping - 25 minutes to go and get a beer and stuff your face - and miss 10 minutes of Football!!
    Driving to watch the Saints from outside of the city does put a different slant on the reasons to purchase food on the concourse or wherever. I use to much prefer midweek finishing early ambling into Southampton and having a pre match Supper in Cove on Shamrock Quay before it closed.
    My ďperfect scenarioĒ is no such thing. It just involves people not taking the lazy option of going for the stuffing a crap, overpriced burger down your throat as this is what you perceive to be the only option to you. Other options include

    Pub option: Leave work early and go to a pub for some food. Most people have flexible working these days if you donít time to find a new employer.

    Work from home:, see above re flexible working, cook your own dinner whilst tapping on skype for business every 5 mins to look like you are working

    Healthy option: Precook then reheat a healthy option meal, add some steamed veg, kale or spinach a reheated chicken breast takes 4 minutes, ready in 10 you can eat that in 10 minutes and at the game only 20 minutes laters and still in time for kick off

    Take away option: As you walk to the ground park near a chippy, dozens on route on way to
    SMS, eat while you walk

    Donít eat option: intermittent fasting of c16 hours is proven to burn fat, repair damaged cells, regulate blood sugar levels and give you a general feeling of wellbeing. If you have a late lunch then donít eat again until breakfast youíll have fasted for the recommend period of time leading to better you

    So the choice is yours pal, have a burger in the ground and die early, or find an alternative route. Depending on your lifestyle and willpower itís up to you but Iíd go for options 3 or 5.

  26. #76

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy Saint View Post
    Spoiling for a rematch?! - Do you really want to go there all over again???

    Your observations are based on poor assumptions, that everyone lives round the corner from SMS and has time to stand in a pub from 11am on a Saturday Matchday.
    If only it was so cut and dried as your perfect scenario plays out. Mid week game I have been a work all day get home get changed and back out of the door as much before 6pm as I can drive down the M3, by the time I have parked in Southampton and walked to the ground it will be 7:15......... now outside of your assumptions mid week especially I am not alone in this scenario as you see the usual suspects who have been equally held up on the M3 or the edge of the city........and guess what after a full day of work and then travelling to football most of us are ready for a bit of food......we would much prefer to eat with a bit more civility......... and as I said all those years ago when we went over this you buy food at football with your eyes wide open to the quality and the cost. When we did have this discussion before you questioned my motives at to why I was maligning the Southampton Football Club food offering, well I have to say for the last 2 season the burgers have been locally sourced and what I would consider to be a well constructed Burger for the money, of a quality I have found on my plate in a nicer pub/ restaurant at £14+
    I totally agree with you on the half time shopping - 25 minutes to go and get a beer and stuff your face - and miss 10 minutes of Football!!
    Driving to watch the Saints from outside of the city does put a different slant on the reasons to purchase food on the concourse or wherever. I use to much prefer midweek finishing early ambling into Southampton and having a pre match Supper in Cove on Shamrock Quay before it closed.
    There is even an option 6. Deliveroo. Get them to meet you when you arrive home or in Southampton.

    To be Blunt there really is no excuse to eat at football these days.

  27. #77

    Default

    Or even take a healthy lunch on the train - no need to drive. Train + eat ... economise on time.

  28. #78

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    stamping on peoples dreams since 2010
    Posts
    28,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Or even take a healthy lunch on the train - no need to drive. Train + eat ... economise on time.
    Quite. Laziness is linked to Obesity. Itís no surprise that the queues for burgers are full of people who are overweight.

  29. #79

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    P-Tr boundary
    Posts
    3,655

    Default Gasworks Pub.

    I like to get a disgusting cheese burger from one of the mobile units outside the ground. Itís generally swimming in grease and flat as a pancake, but it really is the only time I ever get to eat that kind of shÓt, so I grab the opportunity with both hands. The flavour and texture takes me back to my childhood and the BSE burgers of the 80s. Just a little vice.

  30. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Or even take a healthy lunch on the train - no need to drive. Train + eat ... economise on time.
    Where do you live that you can get a train to an evening game and still get home afterwards?

  31. #81

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Where do you live that you can get a train to an evening game and still get home afterwards?
    St Denys

  32. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Where do you live that you can get a train to an evening game and still get home afterwards?
    Fleet. Last train 11pm.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •