Saints 1-2 Liverpool - Reaction

Ohio Saint

Happy with the performance (mostly) if not the result ! Danso in for Vestergard next match or maybe go 4 at the back and bring in Ings for him . Thought Jwp and Redmond had decent games , we were a bit wasteful first half but feeling more positive today than I was after the Burnley game !

So you are happy with a home defeat and poor performance then???? I'm speechless

Poor performance ? We bossed the first half . When we get the newbies sorted and the young uns up to scratch I reckon we will have a decent side.

I'd rather be us than Villa or Newcastle based on what's happened so far.

Two defeats are always disappointing but I'd expect to lose against Liverpool and a sh*tty gale away to Burnley. We gave both a decent game and we'll get results eventually.

What game did you watch last week? :lol:

I think that most Saints fans will have come away from the stadium thinking that we deserved at least a point, with the possibility of all three if the dice fell in our favour with some better finishing. The difference between the two teams on the day was that they were deadly in their finishing, whereas we weren't. We were the better team in the first 45 minutes, but it was as if our players were already in the changing rooms mentally during the two minutes of added time, whereas Liverpool appreciated the advantage that a goal at the death of the first half would give them, and went for it strongly. It was a very fine finish from Mane, but that is what he is capable of given the space to pull the trigger. I wondered whether Gunn should have saved it though.

We had good chances to have been a couple of goals ahead by then, Yoshida's header producing a very good save from Adrian, and Adams putting a free header onto the roof of the net.

As expected, Liverpool came out for the second half with their heads up and began to assert themselves into the match. The 50/50 balls that mostly fell to us from our high press, gradually began to fall to Liverpool and we began to sit back deeper, increasing their threat. Something needed to be done to address the problem. Hasenhuttl brought on Ings for Romeu, who was on a yellow awarded to him by Scouser referee Marriner for a fairly innocuous tackle. Although for a short while that gave us two up top, it weakened the midfield. The midfield was strengthened with the introduction of Armstrong for Adams and he produced an immediate impact, putting himself about with some purpose and winning some important tackles. The third substitution, Bertrand for Djenepo gave the new lad time for a useful cameo, which showed him in a good light.

When Liverpool scored a second through a Firmino goal, that looked like the match was secured for the Scousers, but a dreadful error by Adrian kicking the ball straight at Ings and it rebounding into his goal, and Saints had renewed faith in themselves. We fell upon them, closing them down, unsettling them and putting them under real pressure. It isn't fanciful to say that they were desperately hanging on for the final whistle.Typically, Ings having scored a lucky goal, he then missed a gilt-edged opportunity to rescue the point by missing an absolute sitter, needing just a simple tap in. To be fair, Firmino had missed a similar chance earlier. Had Ings scored, then there was even the impetus to have maybe scored a winner. Close to the end, Matip almost put the ball into his own net.

For all those profits of doom predicting that Liverpool would slaughter us, the match was hard fought with not much to separate the teams besides several millions of expenditure by one of the World's greatest glory teams with three of our ex-players on the pitch in their team. With the glory team fixtures comes the biased referee favouring them whenever their players took a soft tackle and allowing their players far more brutal tackles in return, because certain referees like Marriner aren't impartial. He has history for giving multiple dodgy decisions against us and the loud chants of "you don't know what you're doing" heard several times during the match are testament to his ineptness.

No reason why we shouldn't give Man U an equally hard match when they come here shortly.

Before the game yes, but is it too much to expect a $20M striker to score from 5 yards out?

Our first half performance was very good and we spent most of it camped in the Liverpool half but you just knew we'd concede a goal just before half-time. You also knew that at some point a Liverpool striker would leave Vestergaard sitting on his backside while he ran on to score, as Firmino did for their 2nd. Adrian was clearly struggling to kick properly with his ankle injury and finally Ings took advantage of it but that was a terrible miss from Ings late on. Ultimately, the difference between the teams was that they had Mane while we had Ings. But, overall it was a much better performance than against Burnley.

I think that most Saints fans will have come away from the stadium thinking that we deserved at least a point, with the possibility of all three if the dice fell in our favour with some better finishing. The difference between the two teams on the day was that they were deadly in their finishing, whereas we weren't. We were the better team in the first 45 minutes, but it was as if our players were already in the changing rooms mentally during the two minutes of added time, whereas Liverpool appreciated the advantage that a goal at the death of the first half would give them, and went for it strongly. It was a very fine finish from Mane, but that is what he is capable of given the space to pull the trigger. I wondered whether Gunn should have saved it though.

We had good chances to have been a couple of goals ahead by then, Yoshida's header producing a very good save from Adrian, and Adams putting a free header onto the roof of the net.

As expected, Liverpool came out for the second half with their heads up and began to assert themselves into the match. The 50/50 balls that mostly fell to us from our high press, gradually began to fall to Liverpool and we began to sit back deeper, increasing their threat. Something needed to be done to address the problem. Hasenhuttl brought on Ings for Romeu, who was on a yellow awarded to him by Scouser referee Marriner for a fairly innocuous tackle. Although for a short while that gave us two up top, it weakened the midfield. The midfield was strengthened with the introduction of Armstrong for Adams and he produced an immediate impact, putting himself about with some purpose and winning some important tackles. The third substitution, Bertrand for Djenepo gave the new lad time for a useful cameo, which showed him in a good light.

When Liverpool scored a second through a Firmino goal, that looked like the match was secured for the Scousers, but a dreadful error by Adrian kicking the ball straight at Ings and it rebounding into his goal, and Saints had renewed faith in themselves. We fell upon them, closing them down, unsettling them and putting them under real pressure. It isn't fanciful to say that they were desperately hanging on for the final whistle.Typically, Ings having scored a lucky goal, he then missed a gilt-edged opportunity to rescue the point by missing an absolute sitter, needing just a simple tap in. To be fair, Firmino had missed a similar chance earlier. Had Ings scored, then there was even the impetus to have maybe scored a winner. Close to the end, Matip almost put the ball into his own net.

For all those profits of doom predicting that Liverpool would slaughter us, the match was hard fought with not much to separate the teams besides several millions of expenditure by one of the World's greatest glory teams with three of our ex-players on the pitch in their team. With the glory team fixtures comes the biased referee favouring them whenever their players took a soft tackle and allowing their players far more brutal tackles in return, because certain referees like Marriner aren't impartial. He has history for giving multiple dodgy decisions against us and the loud chants of "you don't know what you're doing" heard several times during the match are testament to his ineptness.

No reason why we shouldn't give Man U an equally hard match when they come here shortly.

The shot went a few feet past his outstretched hand. Not a chance.

Just on the train home. I really enjoyed that! In the first half I spent most of the time looking to my right - the goal Liverpool we’re defending!

We played with some spirit, and really should/could have been two up before Manè scored. I was right behind Mané’s shot and It was a goal as it left his foot. Class.

My boy and I thought they might tire after an hour, and they definitely slowed the pace in my view, but it actually gave them more control of the game.

Then we gifted them a second, they should have sewn it up before Ings was gifted one and then we should have equalised.

Enjoyed Djenepo’s cameo, and the way we played in general.

Pressures on for a win at Brighton.

PS Ref was poor.

Wish my expectations were that low. How you can enjoy us losing at home let alone to Liverpool is beyond me

Decent first half performance, stopped pressing 2nd half

The thing that really annoyed me today and showed only too clearly where we are with Premier League football occured in the warm up where in certain areas of the ground so called Saints fans were stood three deep on the edge of the pitch taking bloody photos and videos of Liverpool warming up and of Klopp stood there watching !

I make no apology for being old fashioned but I go to football to watch my team NOT fawn all over the opposition warming up :mcinnes:

The shot went a few feet past his outstretched hand. Not a chance. There’s a better view of it in the highlights from the Itchen side.

The thing that really annoyed me today and showed only too clearly where we are with Premier League football occured in the warm up where in certain areas of the ground so called Saints fans were stood three deep on the edge of the pitch taking bloody photos and videos of Liverpool warming up and of Klopp stood there watching !

I make no apology for being old fashioned but I go to football to watch my team NOT fawn all over the opposition warming up :mcinnes:

Those are not Saints fans.

HTH ;)

I normally defend referees but Mariner was leaning so far in one direction that I'm surprised he didn't fall over.

As a former referee, I completely agree. The one that annoyed me most was the Romeu yellow. I've seen that challenge from both the various camera angles as well as the refs angle and not a single one showed that to be a foul let alone a yellow. From that moment on, apart from a small spell after we got a goal back, we did not have any control of that game. I believe this was linked to the yellow card as up to that point Romeu was having a belter. These are the little decisions that big clubs get, that get lost within hours of a game. And if you complain about it, you are just seen as a whinger, yet it had a monumental impact on the game. Yes it wasn't an obvious gamechanger like a penalty decision, so on the surface it seems so petty to complain. But I would have preferred a bad decision against us that resulted in their goal, but we could recover from, than a decision that fundamentally changed our gameplan.

Wish my expectations were that low. How you can enjoy us losing at home let alone to Liverpool is beyond me

If you require a win to get enjoyment, you're supporting the wrong team.

As a former referee, I completely agree. The one that annoyed me most was the Romeu yellow. I've seen that challenge from both the various camera angles as well as the refs angle and not a single one showed that to be a foul let alone a yellow. From that moment on, apart from a small spell after we got a goal back, we did not have any control of that game. I believe this was linked to the yellow card as up to that point Romeu was having a belter. These are the little decisions that big clubs get, that get lost within hours of a game. And if you complain about it, you are just seen as a whinger, yet it had a monumental impact on the game. Yes it wasn't an obvious gamechanger like a penalty decision, so on the surface it seems so petty to complain. But I would have preferred a bad decision against us that resulted in their goal, but we could recover from, than a decision that fundamentally changed our gameplan.

Yes, I used to be a referee too. That Romeu challenge looked clean to me and I was surprised to see Mariner give it as a foul. It took a bit of time before he gave it as a yellow Burt why is beyond me. Of course it could always have been for something he said but it’s not for me to make apologies for that performance.

Don’t be so trite. Did you go to today’s game EXPECTING a win? I travelled more in hope than expectation. What I wanted to see was, a game plan, executed well. I wanted to see us play with some character and spirit, and I did.

Yes, I used to be a referee too. That Romeu challenge looked clean to me and I was surprised to see Mariner give it as a foul. It took a bit of time before he gave it as a yellow Burt why is beyond me. Of course it could always have been for something he said but it’s not for me to make apologies for that performance.

The Liverpool fans' reaction.

He wasn't initially going to give it but the reaction of outrage from the Northam end prompted him to.

To be fair, they'll stand three deep in front of both sets of players. But if you can't get that close to the Saints players I see nothing wrong in taking pics of Liverpool players. Personally though, I'd make everyone give up their phones at the turnstile....

I lost count of the times we won the ball, made a couple of passes and promptly gave it away. We aren't Man City and playing it around at the back is getting us into trouble. Valery with a throw inside ball lost, how often did that happen. once it was crying out for a throw into the corner, inside it went, ball lost Liverpool break and nearly score.

Liverpool, one of the best sides around had no compunction like other top teams in committing fouls to stop attacks or thumping the ball down the field or out if under pressure. We seem to do the opposite lose the ball in dangerous areas when a hefty clearance was called for.

Vestergaard for him had a decent game but he is a glaring hole in the defence because of his slowness in turning and lack of pace together with not being that good in the air. JWP was decent enough but again his lack of pace lets him down. Armstrong was very lively. I'd like to see if we could play more of the pacey players, as many as practically possible. From Armstrong, Redmond, Adams, Djenepo, Danso (reported 21 mph),

I can't help thinking that we work on certain aspects but ignore others. Throws, clearing danger rather than passing to players being closed down and most of all in the opponents box head the ball down if possible. Today Adrian saved a header but would have had no chance if the ball was headed into the ground in front of him as he dived.

Confused as to why so few posts. We deserved a point on the first half performance alone - predictably we got none.

Adams needs a goal to get him started, then He's going to be a proper threat. Djnepo looked like his going to add some dynamism - instinctivelt moves forward and not afraid to take his man on - looks good. Gunn played well. Valery skittish I thought. Romeu was our pivotal player until he was given that ridiculous yellow - completely changes his game when he knows he can't go in hard for challenges. Bednarek I like but not a good game for him today. Ings unlucky with that first curling strike...deserves credit for his goal even if it was lucky...but, oh, what a miss - I want to think it bobbled in front of him - did it? How else do you not put it on target from there

?

The point stands. I don’t believe I am, or ever will be, your pal. What a curious posting style you have.

Does it? It wasn’t five yards out for a start. A friendly bit of advice as you fight your imaginary injustices: let the ball come to you, don’t go reaching pal :lol:

Edited by shurlock

Bit frustrating to not get anything from that. They were there to be got at and we were pretty decent in the first half. Going in at 0-1 was massively undeserved.

we made a mistake at the back and being 0-2 down felt quite unjust. We got a huge stroke of luck to get back in it and I’m not sure how we didn’t equalise with Ings’ miss.

Not too deflated, good performance overall and should have taken a point. Fair play to Liverpool, they were pretty tired and ground out a win. The ref was proper crap still.

Adams, Redmond both very good. Certainly not worried about this season. Got more ham enough to cause some teams problems.

Disappointing really, particularly in the context of things given they had played 120 minutes midweek past midnight in Istanbul, yet they looked just as fit as us if not more at times.

I always thought VVD got all his defensive headers correct, as in they always fell to a Pool player whereas our headers were more ‘head and hope’.

A point would have been fitting but Ings should have finished that chance, and we had other decent opportunities with the Yoshida and Adams heading opportunities.

I am not sure what to make of it, I don’t think we will be relegated but even top 10 appears a distant dream at the moment. Somewhere around 15th/16th is more befitting.

I would kind of like Ralph to drop the 3 at the back. Instead of 3 sh*t centrebacks lets play 2 and see if we can outscore the opposition instead through playing a Djenepo (who had a good cameo might I add) or even Obafemi.

Does it? It wasn’t five yards out for a start. A friendly bit of advice as you fight your imaginary injustices: let the ball come to you, don’t go reaching pal :lol:

There’s nothing friendly in the way you post. Well done on your dismal insistence on the precise yardage. If you can’t, or more likely choose not to, see the correlation between the two events, you are entitled to do so. It doesn’t make you right (or me for that matter, it’s all opinion).

As for the rest of your post, wtf? Step away from the keyboard for a moment, the break will, I’m sure, do you good.

Bit frustrating to not get anything from that. They were there to be got at and we were pretty decent in the first half. Going in at 0-1 was massively undeserved.

we made a mistake at the back and being 0-2 down felt quite unjust. We got a huge stroke of luck to get back in it and I’m not sure how we didn’t equalise with Ings’ miss.

Not too deflated, good performance overall and should have taken a point. Fair play to Liverpool, they were pretty tired and ground out a win. The ref was proper crap still.

Adams, Redmond both very good. Certainly not worried about this season. Got more ham enough to cause some teams problems.

teams like Burnley?

i am getting tired of seeing good performances against great teams proceeded/followed by dreadful performances against average teams. it all amounts to **** all.

0 points.

it's a pattern. i feel like i have been reading the same exact game reaction posts every Saturday evening for years now.

teams like Burnley?

i am getting tired of seeing good performances against great teams proceeded/followed by dreadful performances against average teams. it all amounts to **** all.

0 points.

it's a pattern. i feel like i have been reading the same exact game reaction posts every Saturday evening for years now.

We weren’t dreadful against Burnley, we were the better team for 60 minutes. They beat us because of individual errors, in terrible weather, at a ground where we never get a decent result. If they’d been all over us and bullied us for 90 minutes, I’d be more concerned.

West Ham lost their first four last year and were fine. No reason we can’t match that.

Result aside, really hope the club are looking now for a quality DM. Struggling to see what Romeu offers us and it was evident today. Too slow, both in and out of possession. Makes alot of clumsy tackles, mostly because hes too slow to react and tbh we're carrying him. Was a big fan in his first few seasons but hes been done for the last two years.

Result aside, really hope the club are looking now for a quality DM. Struggling to see what Romeu offers us and it was evident today. Too slow, both in and out of possession. Makes alot of clumsy tackles, mostly because hes too slow to react and tbh we're carrying him. Was a big fan in his first few seasons but hes been done for the last two years.

All about opinions, but I thought he was very good today and easily one our best players. We definitely need another DM though as he’s the only one who plays that role.

Was having a great game until his yellow imo

You came for bites, yes?

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

Happy with the first half performance, they didn’t have a sniff apart from that one moment of magic from mane. Adams had a decent performance and put himself about a bit, think he’ll get us a few goals this season. Redmond and jwp also squirted themselves well.

Second half there was some worrying signs, defensive error which lead to a goal. Romeu seemed to tire quickly in the second half letting players run past him easily but his yellow might have hampered his game and it showed a lack of depth In that position when he went off which is going to be a sore point this season. Valery seemed to shrink in the second half, didn’t close down his man quickly and letting the ball bounce and ducking out of the way of it from Liverpool clearances before giving it away wasn’t pretty to watch, apart from the cross to Ings and one tackle he offered very little after a good first half. And if there was ever a ref performance that favoured the top 6 today was it, some of Andre’s decisions were mind boggling, Romeus yellow and that tackle against Moussa where he didn’t blow up.

Definitely not, comes across as a nice guy but hes sh*** and we need better
He was one of our best players today lots of interceptions and some good tackles. He was hamstrung slightly by the yellow card (not that his well timed tackle was even a foul let alone a card) but overall he played much better than hoj or JWP today.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk