First win this season?

Heisenberg

Just say it how it is.

ok i’ll bite.

weve played two games ffs, one against the runners up last year. You know how the league works by now. Teams like us very very rarely beat a top 6 side. That’s not just Saints, it’s 11 or 12 teams in the league.

The Burnley result was bad yeah but you can’t surely believe on the evidence of two games we are going down. If after 12 we are bottom then start clucking. :mcinnes:

ok i’ll bite.

weve played two games ffs, one against the runners up last year. You know how the league works by now. Teams like us very very rarely beat a top 6 side. That’s not just Saints, it’s 11 or 12 teams in the league.

The Burnley result was bad yeah but you can’t surely believe on the evidence of two games we are going down. If after 12 we are bottom then start clucking. :mcinnes:

If you see someone place a marble on slightly sloped table you can quickly predict the inevitable.

You don't need to wait for the marble to drop off the edge to predict its fate.

Not saying Batmans right, but equally you don't need to wait a 3rd of the season to see us struggling to predict a struggle

ok i’ll bite.

Plus the performance against the 2nd best team in the league last year was actually good and we were unlucky to not get anything from the game and could have won it.

If we play like that more often than not we will win plenty of games.

Plus the performance against the 2nd best team in the league last year was actually good and we were unlucky to not get anything from the game and could have won it.

If we play like that more often than not we will win plenty of games.

Liverpool were there to be got at yesterday, given their travels etc.

We barely tested their keeper. Not that long ago, we would give any team a game at SMS. What the hell?

Edited by Batman

SNSUN

user-online.png Registered User

Join DateNov 2006LocationWindsor...ish.Posts12,328

icon1.png

Pompey in the Carabao!

In the league? Brighton, despite their early season victory.

From your other First Win thread...

...I still think we will beat Brighton. I will however rethink them as relegation fodder if they keep up their form from the first two games.

If you see someone place a marble on slightly sloped table you can quickly predict the inevitable.

You don't need to wait for the marble to drop off the edge to predict its fate.

Not saying Batmans right, but equally you don't need to wait a 3rd of the season to see us struggling to predict a struggle

I feel more optimistic after our performance yesterday but several bookmakers, including Betway, Bet Victor, Betfair and Betdaq, have now cut our relegation odds to 7/2 so clearly they don't think it's silly to see us as already being in a relegation struggle. They will have based those odds not only on our first two results but also their assessment of the strength of our squad relative to other teams in the league. A lot depends on how much Kevin Danso can transform what is arguably the worst central defence in the league. As yet, that is an unknown factor.

It’s not just two games though is it....we’ve won one League game in the last 9...against Wolves,at home.

Included in that are a 3-1 defeats against Newcastle,3-0 against West Ham and a home draw against a quite frankly appalling Huddersfield.

Couple that with draw against Bournemouth,again at home.

I’ve seen no marked improvement thus far to be very optimistic.

Not just in these last two games, or the end of last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick with the reliance of Ings, Vest, Rom and we will struggle to stay up.

Get the new guys in asap and change things a little, with the extra pace it might well spark us into action, perhaps enough to get us to a more comfortable league position.

As it is atm I am struggling to see where we will get our first win from, Liverpool was better but far from good enough.

Liverpool were there to be got at yesterday, given their travels etc.

We barely tested their keeper. Not that long ago, we would give any team a game at SMS. What the hell?

So scoring one goal and creating several other good chances in a 2-1 loss, where they had to score a worldie to beat us (and even then Ings missed a sitter to equalise) is not 'giving them a game'?

What tosh.

Travels or not, this is a team that got 95 points last season and lost 1 game all year FFS, and we should have won.

If you can't take positives from that performance than you are literally the most negative Saints fans ever.

We will know a lot more about the season ahead after the next few. They look winnable on paper, we ought to be getting points in these games. We'll find out if playing it on the cheap (relatively speaking) and relying on Ralph's ability to improve what we've got is going to pay off. Certainly far too early to say we are going down.

There are encouraging signs from the Liverpool game and we've yet to see the best of the new signings.

Not interested in sharing anything with this hostile place. Anyway, time to board my flight.

Thank God that the world wide web doesn't extend to where you are going and we won't have to read your ramblings.

Don't bend over in the showers where you are going.

raw

2nd win?

Depends on the line up for Fulham. Their attack is potent but their defence is average, our attack should be too much for them. Could go to penalties.

After that I think we can beat both Sheffield United and Bournemouth, though the former will be a tougher game than we realise. Man Utd? Who knows. Seemingly beatable but maybe a draw?

All I do know is after the Bournemouth game we have some really tough fixtures through October and November that we need some Hasenhuttl magic from, before a smoother December. Most of our home games in the first half of the season are against tough opposition which bodes well for the second half of the season when we are hopefully in full flow.

• 3 weeks later...

Statistically, we've won two games that according to expected goals we should have drawn. We have yet to be the better team for over half of a match.

I am delighted that we have won the games that we have, and excited that we have players capable of scoring goals out of nothing, but our defence still looks shaky and our midfield tends to get overrun when we play against three central midfielders.

Still, the confidence that the team will have picked up from winning a couple will hopefully make them perform even better over the next few matches.