Brighton vs Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Okay our biggest problem is our flanks, JWP not helping Valery out, but fortunately now we're a man up. Secondly Danso isn't a LB, he is playing pretty poorly on that side. But it's his first game for us and i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

JWP not adding anything to our midfield, i'd rather have Armstrong on for him.

Our pattern of play is far too slow, Ings and Adams are making constant spinning in behind runs but we're too slow to play the pass. Ings is doing okay, he's chasing down lost causes etc, Adams simply hasn't been involved and should be subbed.

This sort of game suits Obafemi - we need to be breaking quicker and getting in behind when possible, not slowing down the pace constantly.

Probably one of our worst collective performances, we don't look interested that's my issue with it today. Like it's a summer stroll in the park not a local south coast derby.

Can I just check - is Danso playing left back or is it Valery? And who is at right wing back? Is it Valery or Wrd-Prowse? BBC feed suggests that Valery is left wing back and Ward-Prowse right wing back, but that doiesn't seem to be what everyone is saying on here!

Valery = RB, Danso = LB, JWP is on the right side of the AM two (Reds on left).

We are truly ****....if you think the gaffer is anything above par...you are deluded.

Scraped the end of season by staying up...he really didn’t do that much,1 win in nine thus far.....he’s just as crap.

Whatever the result today....players terrible,coaching staff ****e.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Defence looks terrible. Danso has been fine but isn't a left back in a million years - surely Cedric would be better suited.

The major concern is how atrocious we've been on the ball. Once Lemina is sold, these are all our midfield options. Yikes.

No remotely competent linesman should've needed VAR to intervene on the Brighton goal. Burn has been deliberately blocking Gunn on every single corner.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I noticeIvor Toney has scored his 4thgoal of the season. I feel he could make the jump up to our level....what level that is. Al so Todd Cantwell another Imentioned last seasonhas scored today. About time the club had a new scout lol

Can I just check - is Danso playing left back or is it Valery? And who is at right wing back? Is it Valery or Wrd-Prowse? BBC feed suggests that Valery is left wing back and Ward-Prowse right wing back, but that doiesn't seem to be what everyone is saying on here!

Valery right back, Danso left back. We are allegedly playing a back 4, so no wing backs.

Really is a shambles this afternoon. I agree with earlier comments, too many of our players are in their wrong positions and the 4-2-2-2 just isn't working. Nobody coming out of this with much credit not even Ralph. Whole team needs a damn good bollocking at HT

Back to 3 4 2 1 would be better. Get JWP off for Cedric. Cedric to LWB. Danso into the 3. Hoj and Romeu holding, Ings and Reds behind Adams. 60 mins get Ings or Adams off for Djenepo or Boufal.

We are truly ****....if you think the gaffer is anything above par...you are deluded.

Scraped the end of season by staying up...he really didn’t do that much,1 win in nine thus far.....he’s just as crap.

Top top post

When the team was announced I thought that if Pellegrino had picked that team I would be unhappy, convinced it was going to lead to defeat. But after so much good that Hasenhuttl has done I am more willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately it seems like the concerns were justified.

Do you think he has been working on this formation but wanted to save it for this 'more winnable' game? And now in practice it isn't working? Or is it more due to the personnel? I haven't seen enough of the first half to judge.

Really no clue why we seem to want to pass the ball really slowly with no movement.

Playing a left back who is utterly lost in that position doesn’t help.

Also is a strategy to leave Gunn to deal with dunk on corners cos we think he’ll be done by var regardless. Otherwise it’s a bit nutty.

At least they have 10 men and we somehow aren’t behind I suppose.

We're too tentative because of the change of personnel and formation. As a result we have been outplayed this first half. But we are still on level pegging and have the advantage of an extra player for 45 minutes. I believe that we play better with 3 CBs and with pace out wide, something that Bertrand and Valerie bring. The new lad Danso isn't comfortable enough to press forwards yet. Perhaps he needs Djenepo ahead of him, tracking back to cover him when necessary.

I did wonder if like Clough was not the same without Taylor, perhaps Ralph is lost without Rohl?? Sometimes a partnership just gels and is successful

Okay our biggest problem is our flanks, JWP not helping Valery out, but fortunately now we're a man up. Secondly Danso isn't a LB, he is playing pretty poorly on that side. But it's his first game for us and i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

JWP not adding anything to our midfield, i'd rather have Armstrong on for him.

Our pattern of play is far too slow, Ings and Adams are making constant spinning in behind runs but we're too slow to play the pass. Ings is doing okay, he's chasing down lost causes etc, Adams simply hasn't been involved and should be subbed.

This sort of game suits Obafemi - we need to be breaking quicker and getting in behind when possible, not slowing down the pace constantly.

Probably one of our worst collective performances, we don't look interested that's my issue with it today. Like it's a summer stroll in the park not a local south coast derby.

Trying to find a place for JWP has been hard to understand especially since Ralph professes to want speed and creativity in his attackers.