Brighton 0-2 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

I think Boufal in a nutshell was that run where he beat three men and lost the ball. Benefit of the doubt, he really didn't have much on this time.

The problem is a lot of the time when he does that:

a) There is a good pass on and he doesn't see it.

or

b) The second man he tries to beat tackles him and suddenly they've got the ball in our half, with most of our team bombing forward.

There's a bit of a dichotomy in our desire to have the team play livelier football - we were slow today for much of the time - and the risk that players bomb forward or try imaginative balls and are vulnerable to losing possession and the counter.

I think the win today was more important than the manner of it, although both goals were delightful, and will have given a particular boost to the players concerned as well as the team as a whole. I thought Danso was fine playing out of position, and it looked like he was under orders to play it safe in his first game. It will be interesting to see where he plays when Bertrand is back.

The game against Fulham is quite useful in its timing as it gives an opportunity to bed players in and maybe experiment a bit more.

Glad to see most on here watched the same game as me. Good result - painful to watch at times. Brighton much the better team for large parts, even with 10 men. HOJ had a shocker, Romeu almost as bad, Ings not at the races, Adams worked hard but not clicking yet, hopefully will...we were ponderous in possession and Brighton out-flanked us even with a man down. Subs were great...Djenepo looks classy, Boufal proved a game-changer. Redmond great again - everything creative comes through him...takes men on and creates openings...deserved his goal.

Defence doesn't fill me with confidence. Why no Yoshida? - don't get it. What are we doing on corners? Everyone back, no-one marking anyone...hoofball out only to come right back at us because there's no-one upfield. Keep someone up the field just to keep their defenders honest.

Will need to play MUCH better to get anything from the Man Utd game...they were unlucky to get beaten by all accounts...22 chances to 5 against Palace...missed penalties and chances.

Oh - ref was great today. Not often we say that.

Just watched the highlights...

Tackle from Andone was shocking. How he could just sit there on Valery after attempting to snap his leg in two and plead innocence is beyond me. Deserves much more than a three match ban for that.

Peach of a finish from Djenepo, but a noteworthy mention to Ings for the pass to set him up. More of this from both please.

The run in behind from Boufal to set up Redmond for the second is the kind of thing we have been missing since Tadic left. Would be great if he could produce that kind of magic on a regular basis.

Can't comment on the overall performance as I didn't see it. But an away win against a team we will likely be competing against for league position later in the season is invaluable, and a great way to open our points account.

Sounds like our defence wasn't quite as strong as we would like, but it's a clean sheet and something to build on at least.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

At least Saints's win meant that Batman didn't have to spend the evening on here. 19 posts from him during the match - mostly saying that we were shyte. Just 2 from him since the final whistle.

I hope he found something fulfilling to do this evening.

Will need to play MUCH better to get anything from the Man Utd game...they were unlucky to get beaten by all accounts...22 chances to 5 against Palace...missed penalties and chances.

Agree with your post. But regarding United, it might have been 22 shots against 5 to them against Palace, but it was 3 shots on target each. United had over double the possession, much higher passing accuracy and passes, but ultimately even if they had put away the penalty, it would only have earned them a point. I'll be quite happy if they only have three shots on target against us, because we can potentially equal or better that.

Djenepo's pace is something we have really been missing. Good to see Redmond with the confidence to take people on carry it forward and have a dip at the end as well. Boufal looks excellent, beautiful work and slide rule cross for Redmonds goal. He is going to be incredible for us this season. Hoj looked a bit off the pace and Adams needs a goal to get himself up and started. Defence looked terrible all game. At one point Bednarek had 6 touches in the box without getting the ball under control when Vestergard got under it (again) - one off each arm and two off each leg. Having said that, once we have a settled back 4/5 things should improve. Ralph is slowly sussing out who he wants in there, Danso looked strong and had a good debut.

Edited by Kingsbridge Saint

At least Saints's win meant that Batman didn't have to spend the evening on here. 19 posts from him during the match - mostly saying that we were shyte. Just 2 from him since the final whistle.

I hope he found something fulfilling to do this evening.

many many others have said we were ****e during and after the game. We were but we won.

I reckon we will give united a good game next week, whilst reverting to 3 at the back

found it strange that Danso was due to play LB regardless of an injury to Bertrand

many many others have said we were ****e during and after the game. We were but we won.

I reckon we will give united a good game next week, whilst reverting to 3 at the back

found it strange that Danso was due to play LB regardless of an injury to Bertrand

Maybe others thought we played badly .... but nobody said it with the frequency and the strength that you did. Our worst performance in the last 18 months ??? Really ??? Worse than Arsenal last season when you turned the tv off after 20 minutes ???

But then there is no rejoicing or comments from you when we win. Anyone would think that you enjoy Saints losing more than winning.

Maybe others thought we played badly .... but nobody said it with the frequency and the strength that you did. Our worst performance in the last 18 months ??? Really ??? Worse than Arsenal last season when you turned the tv off after 20 minutes ???

But then there is no rejoicing or comments from you when we win. Anyone would think that you enjoy Saints losing more than winning.

I'd prefer to read posters opinions (good/ bad, positive or negative) over posters like you that seem only capable of posting about other posters.

We have tons of posters like you on here now and mods seem to encourage this type of posting. Weird

I was there and got very warm so well done lads in that heat; Brighton clearly targeted Valery who had no left side support in front of him - who? why not?

Adams worked really hard and was unlucky Duffy or Dunk made two amazing last ditch blocks on him and a clearing header. They were not great really alot of huff and puff no real finesse. We will get there Ralphs express is just stoking up.

Should be noted that whilst people were commenting on the sluggishness of our play, pretty much every PL manager mentioned the heat today and said it had an impact on play.

It's a fair point but Brighton were much brighter in their play than us for most of the game and didn't look particular sluggish until the last third of the second half (understandable given how long they played with a man down) they just seemed to have a better game plan and knew how to implement it.

I'd prefer to read posters opinions (good/ bad, positive or negative) over posters like you that seem only capable of posting about other posters.

We have tons of posters like you on here now and mods seem to encourage this type of posting. Weird

Lol!!

The irony of that post is hilarious.

Parallels to last season, in that our first win was 2-0 away, in a game we didn’t play well and probably shouldn’t have won, with a goal in stoppage time to seal it.

Just hope the rest of the season doesn’t pan out the same.

That’s what I thought as well, even included the opposition having a chance to equalise that they really should have scored before we got our second on the break.

Was the plan to play Danso left back regardless of Bertrand’s injury or because it was known he had a knock and might not play?

Great last ditch defensive tackle by Bednarek to put Locadia off scoring. Clean sheet for my Fantasy football team - thanks Jan!

I sold Redmond and was trying to decide between Douglas Luiz and Cantwell for the replacement; obviously ended up with the only midfielder who didn't score.

I sold Redmond and was trying to decide between Douglas Luiz and Cantwell for the replacement; obviously ended up with the only midfielder who didn't score.

I had Redmond, but annoyingly had Che as my first sub coming in for Bertrand, with Cantwell the second :( On a separate note, I think that Locadia chance would've been ruled out for offside by VAR if it had gone it. However, Goals on Sunday have showed the handball shout against Bednarek, which MOTD didn't. I'd be very disappointed to not get that if I was a Brighton fan.

Adam Leitch reckon Danso was playing LB yesterday (in a back 4) regardless of Bertrand's injury

I’m pretty sure he said he was ‘thinking about it’ rather than definitely decided. Adam Leitch can spout some rubbish at times so I’d take his comments with some caution. He said on the podcast that the fans’ forum is pointless and we don’t learn anything; he has a chip on his shoulder- he thinks he should be the only person to ask the club’s employees questions- trying to big up his own importance. However, he previously commented on the fact that Ralph had revealed he was looking for an assistant at the fans’ forum, info he’d not be extracted from Ralph himself. Laughable.

Interesting comments regarding how bad we were. The premier league is all about point accumulation, not how attractive a team plays, unless you are the top 2.

Did these folk go to West Ham in May - now that was bad.

Well that’s not true otherwise Puel would still be here. On paper he lead us to one of our greatest seasons ever. Yet fans wanted him out because they demanded more entertaining football. So it has everything to do with bow a attractive a team is, at least in our case.

Thank you .-) In German a "shot" is always the effort to score a goal by foot, a "pass" is always between two players, 1 or 100 yards away ...

It's the same in English.

There isn't a word such as 'overview' by the way (there is, but it's wholly different); the correct way to say it would be something like 'good vision by Ings' in English. Don't worry, I won't correct your English all the time (even though I know that as an Austrian, you'd probably prefer to learn, unlike the English who think they know it all), but I thought I'd just point that one out. Which is the team that you support?

A thoroughly enjoyable sun drenched away day, and with England beating the Aussies today a perfect weekend!

My reflections would be:

- Great to get a clean sheet. Easy to say it was lucky given post and VAR, but equally we played well last week and got nothing so that is the way the cookie crumbles

- Above particularly impressive given shift to back four and Danso playing out of position on debut. Thought he was excellent second half.

- Ralph wants “football played in a hurry”, and many of our fans hated slow patient build up of Puel. Think we need to get used to seeing the ball given away more than previous years and less possession but the flip side is we defend higher up the pitch. You can’t have everything unless you have Man City resources.

- Unlike many posters I thought Ings did well in terms of work rate and pressing, whereas Adams particularly first half was disappointing and appears to be struggling to generate movement off the ball to create space.

- Boufal and MD outstanding impact subs. Can they translate that into starting against Man Utd? Must be huge temptation to replace Adams with one of them.

- Unless Bertrand picked up his injury within 24 hours of kick off, or Ralph was telling porkies at press conference when he said no injuries, something doesn’t add up in the “Bertrand was injured” explanation. Think he has been well below par first two games but he is a class player when on it and naturally left footed.

That second goal was the icing on the cake. It makes such a difference to morale for players and fans alike. If it had only been 1-0, people might have felt we'd just scraped home against 10 men but 2-0 away from home is a very good result.

In Djenepo it looks like we have a real star in our team again.

It's the same in English.

There isn't a word such as 'overview' by the way (there is, but it's wholly different); the correct way to say it would be something like 'good vision by Ings' in English. Don't worry, I won't correct your English all the time (even though I know that as an Austrian, you'd probably prefer to learn, unlike the English who think they know it all), but I thought I'd just point that one out. Which is the team that you support?

Thank you. No problem in correcting me. As Englishmen back in 1890 or so introduced Football to Austia we still use in Austria their words/terms like: goal, referee, corner, out, penalty, cup, hands, match etc. I was not familiar with "box", "pitch", "CB" etc. but I am improving.

I like the performances of Hasenhüttl's teams since years, they are almost always entertaining. I even bought a SKY-package to watch Southampton's games 2019/2020.

It's a fair point but Brighton were much brighter in their play than us for most of the game and didn't look particular sluggish until the last third of the second half (understandable given how long they played with a man down) they just seemed to have a better game plan and knew how to implement it.

Yeh but maybe they just dealt with it a bit better plus our gameplan seemed to be to try to sit in and break, so maybe with the heat our team just couldn't make those busting runs on the counter. Whereas Brighton were playing a more patient passing style so probably looked after the ball better, thus meaning less runs, with less pressing as well.

At the end of the day though, they had a decent amount of the ball 11 v 11 but really did not create anything of note. The only times they threatened us really was the offside goal which Gunn would have save easily I think if the guy wasn't backing into him and then Locardia hitting the post, which was from a set piece, and Bednerak did enough to put him off I reckon, plus you'd fancy Gunn to save it at that angle as well.

The BBC to be fair noted in the preview that Potter's Swansea team played good football and looked after the ball well, but didn't actually create that much. They seemed similar in this game.

Not at all surprising to see one of their big centre halves hitting the deck in the box from a corner looking at the ref towards the end when it was still 1-0. Arms spreadeagled looking straight at the ref as he lay on the deck. Wonder if it brought back any memories for JWP. It's definitely a tactic at BHA. I saw it in games after they did it to us last season. Duffy usually, though I don't think it was this time. Odious fans as well, booing Valery for not getting his leg broken.

Are you serious?
Yes, actually. I'd accept cross/shot. Not being critical - it was a great ball with a chance of going in or for someone else to finish at the far post. Far better than smashing it at the keeper on the near post.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes, actually. I'd accept cross/shot. Not being critical - it was a great ball with a chance of going in or for someone else to finish at the far post. Far better than smashing it at the keeper on the near post.

No question it was a cross.

If you don’t realise that then you’re watching a different game to me.

Redmond is on record about giving precisely this advice to Sims as to where to put it when he gets in that position.

If you watch Boufal’s highlights from Celta Vigo last season he was going on these sorts of runs and looking to play a pass but nobody was providing the option. On Saturday he knew Redmond would be in there which is why he played the pass.

For a player like Boufal to be effective he needs to make good decisions but also his team mates need to read what he’a up to and provide the option, which Redmond did perfectly.

They’d worked on that in training. When Boufal was last in our side he didn’t have the confidence to release the ball into an area because he wasn’t sure that anyone would be there so he’d hang onto it too long. Saturday looked like Ralph has been coaching him to be more direct and release earlier into areas where his teammates should be, full credit to Redmond for being there,

No question it was a cross.

If you don’t realise that then you’re watching a different game to me.

Redmond is on record about giving precisely this advice to Sims as to where to put it when he gets in that position.

If you watch Boufal’s highlights from Celta Vigo last season he was going on these sorts of runs and looking to play a pass but nobody was providing the option. On Saturday he knew Redmond would be in there which is why he played the pass.

For a player like Boufal to be effective he needs to make good decisions but also his team mates need to read what he’a up to and provide the option, which Redmond did perfectly.

They’d worked on that in training. When Boufal was last in our side he didn’t have the confidence to release the ball into an area because he wasn’t sure that anyone would be there so he’d hang onto it too long. Saturday looked like Ralph has been coaching him to be more direct and release earlier into areas where his teammates should be, full credit to Redmond for being there,

Ok! I concede! It was a brilliant pinpoint pass. Just told it as it looked to me at the time. Didn't really want to start a war. [emoji23]