Brighton 0-2 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Would have been very happy with a point today, so I'm delighted we managed to steal 3.

Didn't play well as a team; looked shaky in defence, unbalanced, and a bit toothless up top until the subs came on and won the game for us. Great individual performances from both Djenepo and Boufal.

Poor performance - but great result.

Man of the match was probably Vestergard for me - solid throughout the game along with Bednarek.

Poor performance in midfield, Redmond grew into the game.

We need a better left sided option.

Djenpro changed the game as well.

No easy games in the premier league - this could prove vital come the end of the season.

A welcome 3 points but that was not a very good performance. A moment of pace and magic was the highlight but let's not gloss over the fact that Saints were ponderous and fortunate not to be playing against 11. Defence always looked like it was about to concede as usual.

Even so, let's hope that is a confidence boost.

And relax.

With Redmond, Djenepo and Boufal, we do have some creative talent.

With JWP, PEH and Rom we do have some ploddy midfielders.

Not a great performance.

Very dodgy selection and set up by Ralph. Is he overrated?

We are not a good side but a valuable 3 points to get the season up and running. Romeu and Hojberg (in particular) were garbage.....gave the centre of midfield away to Brighton even with 10 men.

Danso was excellent (played out of position) and JWP was excellent at RB. CBs a liability (as always) but I would have had Boufal and Djanepo on from HT.....they changed the game.

Adams was abysmal, real shocker.

If we come out of our shell and attack more we have a real threat in BOufal and Djanepo.

Way too slow in our play most of the time.

A welcome 3 points but that was not a very good performance. A moment of pace and magic was the highlight but let's not gloss over the fact that Saints were ponderous and fortunate not to be playing against 11. Defence always looked like it was about to concede as usual.

Even so, let's hope that is a confidence boost.

Better team first half in the other two games and got no points. Just football, I'll take them as they come.

Man Utd though, that's funny. :lol:

Can only really comment on second half, sounds like Brighton were much better than us in first.

Wouldn't go as far to say Brighton were much better in the second, but there wasn't much in it, and they had 10 men. Our defence is so dodgy, every time the ball goes in our penalty box there seems to be someone lining up to make a hash of it.

However this game is a good example of why many of us have wanted to see the likes of Djenepo and Boufal in the team. You can run all day but sometimes you need someone who can produce a bit of magic. Although... odds on Djenepo getting a 2-yellow sending off at some point for a combination of a rash challenge and a dive?!

I'll take three points however it comes though - woo!

Still early doors with our newbies finding their feet but looks promising... Was ponderous and reckon we might have lost hadn't BHA gone down to ten. We held on however and can take some pride at that. Feels like Boufal could be the spark that our midfield lacks. Not bad afternoon and great goal by Djenepo... COYS

Would have been very happy with a point today, so I'm delighted we managed to steal 3.

Didn't play well as a team; looked shaky in defence, unbalanced, and a bit toothless up top until the subs came on and won the game for us. Great individual performances from both Djenepo and Boufal.

Exactly this!

We're on the board. Bank the points, move on.

Really poor performance, if we're being honest with ourselves, which raises more questions than it answers, but a win is a win no matter how lucky.

The manager needs to find a way to get Redmond, Djenepo and Boufal into the XI. If it means playing them as the front three and benching the labouring Ings and seriously short of quality Adams, so be it.

We desperately need their speed and technical ability. Our midfield options are woeful - functional on a good day, a bunch of cloggers on a bad day.

Hope this new assistant coach has got some ideas...

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

As I said at half time, despite us playing poorly during the first half, we had the advantage of the extra player. Did I hear that Liverpool are offering £50 million for Djenepo in the January window? That was some goal. Ditto the Redmond goal from a superb Bouffal cross quite reminiscent of Tadic. We have been in similar situations where we have played superbly and lost to a team that took their chances to steal the points when offered, so it makes a change for us to do it to somebody else. Also it is good to have a goal chalked off by VAR that might well have stood otherwise. It was nice to have Danso blooded and Djenepo to have another outing. We have another chance to try them on Tuesday before facing Man U, who won't have their chins up after a loss against Palace.

I feared the worst with Friend refereeing with Mason on the VAR, but nothing wrong with either of them today

Great to get 3 points, but what a slow ponderous side we look. Central midfield went missing for large parts and typically in defence we look a shambles. In attack, Ings and Adams were utterly useless. Djenepo was superb and Boufal is like a secret weapon. Much, much work to be done with this squad although thankfully early days.

And relax.

With Redmond, Djenepo and Boufal, we do have some creative talent.

With JWP, PEH and Rom we do have some ploddy midfielders.

Not a great performance.

Very dodgy selection and set up by Ralph. Is he overrated?

I was thinking about how one of the refreshing things about Hasenhuttl when he arrived is he seemed to make decisions that most fans had been eager for. But recently that has changed. Of course when you do that and win the fans are willing to trust your judgment but by the sounds of it the first half performance was not in any way a vindication of his team selection!

Odd really, probably played at Burnley, definitely played better against Pool, but no points, then play poorly today but win.

Football is like that I suppose, Palace beating Utd who had over 70% possession.

At least the 'win' monkey is off the teams back, a clean sheet as well. But we need to build from that and make sure the performances are more like the Liverpool one than today.

Complacency? Does the team just think Brighton were a bit crap and they could turn up and win anyway?

Good to see Djenepo and Boufal make an impact though, just have to find a way to fit them into the team.

People who were knocking Boufal and crying for him to be sold, you clearly don’t know anything about football.

Well played Sofiane.

And what a goal from Djenepo! Looks a great player, can see Redmond Boufal Djenepo and Adams all starting against Fulham.

Adams was not in the game today and Ings snatches too much on the ball, you need more composure on the ball.

FMOB I thought we were feckin' dreadful for the vast majority of that. Bossed by a team with 1 less man than us for most of it. Thought Hojberg was especially 1 star losing possession time and again when he was favorite to retain it. Adams and Ings both cr@p and if they are the vanguard to this much talked about about but yet to be seen spring into attack after absorbing pressure and then winning the ball style then they either need to ****in sort themselves out or **** off, because they couldn't manage it against one of the league's weaker teams who were down to 10 men.

Thought Boufal took advantage in the way they should have been doing when he came on, and Redmond was busy and skilful throughout. Defence completely rode their luck and will get murdered against better teams, especially ones without a player sent off.

Obviously happy about the win and 3 points but that game raised far more worries than in dispelled. Sorry to sound negative after a win, but it did.

A good 3 points. Still not sure we have the players for RH’s 4222. We just don’t move he ball quickly enough, even against 10 men, but perversely could also have done with someone to put their foot on the ball and take control mid-way through the 2nd half.

When we did take control, we started to create more.

Good to be off and running.